Chapter 2

Once in a Blue Moon

At that night, Kyungsoo can’t sleep. He tosses and turns on the bed, thinking about the incident back there. He met Kai, the person who he adores. An idol.

“whoa! I can’t even consider how lucky I am. Oh my gosh! Kyungsoo-ya, are you dreaming?” Kyungsoo asks to himself.

“I met Kai.... Wow! I’m really happy that I saw him in person. I even talked, ate, and walked around together with him. Oh, right. He asked me to go swimming with him tomorrow. Whoaaaa! Whoaaaa!” Kyungsoo jumps in excitement.

He screams in joy  and smiles can’t be erased from his lips. His action is just like a fangirl.

“Kyungsoo-ya, why did you scream? Are you okay?” asks Kyungsoo’s father, knocking Kyungsoo’s door.

“yeah yeah yeah, I’m okay.” Kyungsoo says

“oh, okay then. Good night.”

“good night, my loving-father.” Says Kyungsoo

Kyungsoo’s father is taken aback by what did Kyungsoo say.

“my loving-father? Hahaha..” His father says, grinning.

                                                                                ------

The next day...

Kyungsoo wakes up much earlier than he used to do.

“what’s gotten into you, dear?” asks Kyungsoo’s mom

Kyungsoo doesn’t answer. He just smiled brightly.

“wait, why are you dressing up like this? Are you going out somewhere?”

“yeah.”

“where are you going?”

“uhm..  I will meet my friend. Oh, mom, I have to go, goodbye.” Kyungsoo says and his mother nods.

                                                                                ---------

Kyungsoo walks to the Gangcheon river, feeling excited. However, he is still hesitant. He wants to have fun with Jongin by swimming together. But, he hates swimming. He hates water.

“arghh.. What will I do? Should I just watch and sit on the edge of the river? But, I’m still afraid. Oh... I don’t care.” Says Kyungsoo and he walks faster to get there quickly.

Kyungsoo is surprised when he sees Jongin who is already there. Jongin looks at Kyungsoo and he smiles.

“hyung, here.” Jongin waves his hands at Kyungsoo

Kyungsoo smiles brightly and he waves his hands back at him.

“hey, why did you come so early?” asks Kyungsoo

“I can’t wait to swim together with you, hyung. Hahaha” Jongin laughs

Kyungsoo’s cheeks redden all of a sudden.

“wait, hyung.. Why don’t you bring your clothes?” asks Jongin when he sees Kyungsoo who doesn’t bring anything.

“clothes? What for?” asks Kyungsoo

“oh? So, you’re going to go topless?”

“what?” Kyungsoo is surprised by what did Jongin ask

“hyung? Don’t you remember that we’re here for swimming?”

“oh, right. Oh, what should I do? I don’t bring any clothes.”

“come on hyung... Why are you so forgetful, uh?” asks Jongin

“I’m sorry. I was too excited for meeting you, so I didn’t even think to bring my clothes.”

“haha, it’s okay hyung. Then, what will we do? Should we cancel our plan?” asks Jongin

“oh, no no. Don’t. You really want to swim, right? Then you can swim alone, and I’ll watch you from here.”

“but, it won’t be fun if I swim alone.” Jongin pouts.

“how do you know if you haven’t tried?”

“hmmm. Okay then.” Says Jongin.

Jongin is about to jump into the river, but Kyungsoo stops him.

“Jongin-ah, wait!”

“this river is quite deep, will you be okay?”

“yeah. I can swim well.”

“you sure?”

“yeah.”

“alright then, be careful, Jongin...” Kyungsoo says and Jongin nods.

Jongin jumps to the river and he swims happily.

“whoa, hyung.. This is so fun.” Says Jongin.

The water is cold, and it freshens Jongin’s body. Jongin smiles endlessly. It looks like this time is the happiest moment in his life.

Kyungsoo can’t help, but smiles. He is happy to see Jongin’s smile.

Kyungsoo thanks to God silently, cause he forgot to bring his clothes. He doesn’t need to swim and make any excuses.

Kyungsoo looks at Jongin and his mind wonders about why does Jongin look so happy?

“Although the water in Gangcheon river looks so clean, but still, swimming in the river can lead to rash, right?” Kyungsoo thinks

Kyungsoo looks at the river, and it looks like Jongin is gone. He isn’t there. He waits and he thinks that Jongin is plunging in for a moment.

However, Jongin doesn’t come out of the river. He begins to panic.

“Jongin... Jongin-ah.. Where are you?” Kyungsoo shouts

He hears no answer and then he sees the rippling water in a part, away from the edge of the river.

“wait. Is he drowning?” Kyungsoo thinks, then he shouts

“Jongin-ah, are you okay?” asks Kyungsoo. He hears no answer and it makes him become more worried. He looks a pair of hands that are splashing the water. Kyungsoo is sure that they are Jongin’s hands, even though he doesn’t see his face. Nobody is there but him.

Kyungsoo screams for help but the river and the road beside it was really quiet. The place is always quiet. Kyungsoo calls 119, the emergency service in Korea.

“what’s your emergency?” asks the call-taker.

“somebody is drowning in the Gangcheon River. Please come quickly as possible.” Kyungsoo says and he hangs up the phone. He knows he shouldn’t have hung up like that, but he really panics.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to do. He can’t swim, and he is afraid of water.

But, Jongin is drowning. He might die anytime if nobody saves him.

“what takes them so long?” Kyungsoo becomes impatient cause the ambulance hasn’t come yet.

Kyungsoo can’t see the splashing water anymore. It means that Jongin is drifting away. Kyungsoo panics and he decides to jump and swim as hard as he can.

He jumps into the river, and his body froze. Fear overtakes him. He is really scared now. But, he is also afraid of losing Jongin, his new friend.

He doesn’t waste the time anymore. He does the doggy paddling and goes to where he saw Jongin’s hands before.

Even though he is in the water, he still sweats a lot. Cold sweat. He is really scared yet he still tries to save Kai.

Kyungsoo moves his hands in all directions to search Kai, cause he doesn’t dare to dip all of his body into the water.

It’s hard for him to find Kai cause the color of the water is cloudy. That’s why he can’t see Kai. Kyungsoo is about to give up when he can’t find Kai. He wants to leave the river, but he is worried about Kai.

“God, what should I do?” Kyungsoo says in his heart as he cries silently.

Then, his hand touches something. It looks like someone’s body. Kyungsoo is surprised. Then, he realized that it is Kai.

“Kai..” Kyungsoo says.

Kai is unconscious. So, Kyungsoo holds Kai’s waist with his left hand, and he does the doggy paddling. It is really hard to do the doggy paddling with one hand. Kyungsoo is about to drown as well when he feels like he can’t do that till the edge of the river.

When their distance to the edge of the river is only about 7m, Kyungsoo is exhausted.

His right leg cramps and he groans in pain. He can’t do the doggy paddling anymore. He panics, and fear overatakes him. He looks at the two persons who are walking in the riverside street. He wants to scream for help, but his voice is so weak. People can’t hear him.

“Jongin-ah... I’m sorry. Hold on, okay? I’ll go to them and ask for help. Wait a minute.” Says Jongin weakly even though Jongin is unconscious.

Kyungsoo leaves Jongin and he tries as hard as he can to reach the edge and ask for help to the people. His right leg hurts so much, but he handles it. When he is about to reach the edge, one of the two persons who are walking in the riverside street looks at the incident.

“hyung, looks at them!” Says the younger

The latter looks at the river and he is surprised.

“hey! Is he trying to kill him?”

“It seems like he is”

“huh? Let’s save him.”

Kyungsoo succeeds in reaching the edge. However, before he could ask for help, those two people are gone. Then, he realized that they are swimming in the river to save Jongin.

Kyungsoo heaves a sigh of relief when he sees that they succeed in carrying Jongin to the edge. Kyungsoo approaches him limply although he is still in shocked. His body is trembling from fear.

“Jongin-ah, are you okay?” asks Kyungsoo

Then, one of them holds Kyungsoo’s collar, and he yells at him

“what were you trying to do, huh?”

“Chanyeol-ah, calm down.” Says the latter.

Then, Kyungsoo is surprised when he sees those two persons who saved Jongin. They are Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Exo. Kyungsoo’s favorite boy group. He just realized by now.

Then an ambulance comes and the medical team brings Jongin who is still unconscious to the ambulance.

“Baekhyun-hyung, you go to the hospital with him. I will interrogate this guy.” Says Chanyeol

“okay.” Then, Baekhyun goes to the hospital with Jongin.

“hey, you! What did you do to my friend, huh?” asks Chanyeol.

“I did nothing. I was just trying to help him.” Says Kyungsoo.

“help him? Then why did you leave him in the water? I mean he was nearly drowned and you just left him alone to reach the edge.”

“we both are nearly drowned. When  I was trying to help him, my leg cramped and I couldn’t hang in the water anymore. So, I tried to reach the edge so that I can ask for help.” Says Kyungsoo. He remembers the incident and he gets goose bumps. He feels unwell.

“do you think I will believe your nonsense?” asks Chanyeol

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to say. He can’t think further cause he is still in shocked.

 “why aren’t you answering, huh? Did you really try to kill him?” asks Chanyeol. He looks so angry.

“no, I didn’t. I never do such a thing. Can you please give me a time?” asks Kyungsoo.

“what? What for?”

“please excuse me”

“wait!” Chanyeol holds Kyungsoo’s hand.

“are you trying to escape? Oh... So you really were trying to kill my friend, right? Who are you? Are you his hater?” asks Kyungsoo

“can you please stop asking me? Huh? I can’t think anything! I didn’t try to murder him! That’s what you should know. Now, let me go!” says Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo tries to let go of Chanyeol’s grip, but he isn’t strong enough to do that. His body is still weak since he jumped to the river.

“should I bring you to the police station, huh?” asks Chanyeol

“let me go, you jerk!” Kyungsoo says.

Chanyeol is taken aback by what Kyungsoo said. Kyungsoo is still struggling in Chanyeol’s grip.  But then, Chanyeol lets go of Kyungsoo’s hand and he slaps Kyungsoo’s face by accident.

“arrghh! How dare you!” asks Kyungsoo

“hey.. hey.. I didn’t mean it. I didn’t do it on purpose.” Chanyeol says.

They both don’t know that someone is recording that incident.

 

Note: Do you understand what I’m trying to tell you? I’m sorry if you don’t. This may sound as an excuse, but I wrote this in a rush. I didn’t even edit it, hahaha =D.