Chapter 1

Once in a Blue Moon

Kyungsoo has a fear of water. He is an aquaphobic. He always avoids swimming. It all started since he was 7 years old. He was cycling near the river, precisely on the riverside street that was really quiet. Then, he heard someone screaming.

“OH NOOOO.... MOVE...  MOVE....!” A boy who was riding a hoverboard screamed to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo looked backward and he moved his bicycle aside in time before the boy fell on him. The boy fell down and he broke the hoverboard. Kyungsoo was really shocked and he didn’t realize that he was close to the edge of the river.  He looked at the boy and suddenly he couldn’t manage to balance himself because the bicycle was much bigger than him. So, he fell down into the river together with his bicycle. He couldn’t swim, and he screamed for help. The boy didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know how to swim as well. Then, he ran away, bringing his hoverboard because he was scared. Fortunately, there was a man who was still fishing near the river. . He saw the incident, and he saved Kyungsoo. And at that time, Kyungsoo started to have a fear of water.

Kyungsoo wants to be an idol. That is his dream since he was a kid. But, it looks like he can’t reach the dream. His parents are just in the middle-class. They only run a vegetable shop. They work hard to afford Kyungsoo’s university. Kyungsoo is the only child in the family. Kyungsoo knows very well that his dream to be an idol is the opposite of what his parents want. Kyungsoo loves drawing, so their parents ask him to be an architect. He says yes, even though his heart says no. Well, he loves his parents so much and he wants to make his parents happy and proud of him.  So, he agrees and he takes department of architecture in his university.

However, when he is twenty years old, his dream to become an idol is growing stronger than before. It happens when he sees a cool boy group  on the TV. He wants to dance like what the boy group does. He wants to sing. So, he starts to make sing and dance cover.  He loves singing as well. In his spare time, he will sing besides drawing people. Yeah, he only loves to draw people, not drawing structure of a building and stuff.

His interest in becoming a member of boy group grows bigger and bigger after watching some performances of the groups that he likes. He always tries to brush off his mind, but he will be interested even more.

In the evening, he looks on the internet, trying to know whether or not there is an audition to become a singer or a member of a boy group. When he is reading an article, there is an advertisement. And in the advertisement, there is a boy group that he likes. It is EXO.

“wow....” Kyungsoo says as he clicks on that advertisement.

So, it is a kind of jacket CF.

“wow... Not only good at singing, they are so handsome as well... I wish I could be one of them...”

Kyungsoo looks for their profiles, and then he finds it. He reads and he chooses one that he adores the most.

“oh.. So, his real name is Kim Jongin. Whoa.. He is only one year younger than me. Oh, he is the main dancer... Hmm.. That’s why he looks so cool when he dances. Wait, so his birthday is just two days after me? Yeah... One year and two days exactly.. Hahaha” Kyungsoo laughs and grins like an idiot when he sees Kai’s profile

Kyungsoo only knows about the stage names of the people whom he likes. He never sees anyone’s profile before, even though he watches almost all of their performances and makes the dance and sing covers.

“Kyungsoo-ya... What are you doing?” asks his mom as she knocks the door.

“nothing, mom. Come in.” Says Kyungsoo after closing his laptop.

Then his mom comes, bringing mango juice.

“oh.. Mango...” says Kyungsoo. He loves mango.

“yeah.. Our tree is bearing fruit.” Says Kyungsoo’s mom

Then, his mom gives the mango juice and Kyungso drinks it up until it’s empty.

“you must be thirsty.”

Kyungsoo smiles and he gives back the empty glass to his mom.

“mom, is it possible for me to become a singer?”

“why do you ask?”

“hmm... I don’t know. I just wonder.”

“I think it’s possible for you since you have a good voice. But, why? Do you want to be a singer?” asks his mom

“I’m just interested in singing.” Says kyungsoo.

“well, that’s good. Don’t even dream to be a singer. Remember what are you doing now. You attend the department of architecture. So, just think about your career to be an architect.”

“come on, mom. I’m just thinking if I become a singer.”

“get rid of it. You will be an architect, not a singer. Remember that”

“but,, how if I become a singer in my part time?” Kyungsoo starts to be a stubborn

“do you think that the entertainment industry will let you do that? You will be forced to dance and sing all the time. They won’t give you a time to even rest. So, how would you build your career as an architect then?”

“okay mom.” Says Kyungsoo

Then, his mom leaves.

Kyungsoo heaves a  sigh.

“Kai.. I don’t think I can meet you.” Says Kyungsoo

Then, Kyungsoo goes out for a walk. He walks to get a fresh air. He looks at the people who eat noodle in front of the convenience store. He suddenly starts to feel hungry. Then, he buys a cup of a noodle. At the convenience store, he can get hot water for free. So, he eats the noodle in front of the convenience store.  However, the chairs seem to be fulled.

Then, he looks at the empty chair near the corner. A table and two chairs. There is a guy who also eats a cup of noodle there.  So, he approaches him and asks.

“hey, can I sit here?”

“sure” answers the guy.

Kyungsoo looks at the guy and then he has a feeling that he ever sees him. He sits and he stares at him.

The guy knows that Kyungsoo has been looking at him.

“is there  something wrong?” asks the guy

“Kai” says Kyungsoo

“what?” the guy looks surprised

“you are Kai, right?” asks Kyungsoo.

“no. I think you mistook me for someone else.” Says the guy

Then, the guy gets up and about to leave before Kyungsoo stops him.

“wait. Wait.” Kyungsoo holds his hand.

The guy looks at his hand who is held by Kyungsoo.

“even though you are wearing a mouth mask and almost totally covered clothes, I still recognize you.” Kyungsoo says, smiling widely.

The guy sits back on his chair.

“don’t tell anyone, okay?” says the guy.

“yeah. Don’t worry.” Kyungsoo smiles again, and he feels like dreaming. He has no idea that he would meet Kai.

Then, the guy who is Kai eats his noodle again.

“by the way, why are you here? Is it okay for you? How if people recognize you?” asks Kyungsoo

“no, they won’t know if they don’t pay attention to me.  I sneak out of the dorm to eat this cup noodle.”

“what?”

“I’m not allowed to eat noodle in the dorm.” Kai says

“really?”

“yeah. My favorite food is noodle. And I really miss it since I haven’t eaten it for a long time.”

“hmm.. It must be tough for you..”

Kai only nods.

“by the way, I like your dancing.” Kyungsoo says with a shy smile

“thank you. So, what’s your name?”

Kyungsoo is really surprised when Kai asks him about his name.

“Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo answers

“nice name.” Says Kai

“thank you.”

Kyungsoo is really happy when Kai says he has a nice name. Maybe for the other people, it is just a simple thing. But, that simple thing makes Kyungsoo really happy.

“how old are you?” asks Kai

“I’m twenty years old. One year older than you.” Says Kyungsoo

“Kyungsoo-hyung.” Kai says

Kyungsoo is taken aback by what Jongin was saying.

“can I call you ‘hyung’?” Kai asks

“sure.. I’d like it.” Says Kyungsoo

Kai smiles and so does Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo realizes that Kai has a nice personality. He is very friendly and easy-going.

They eat together. After eating, Kai asks Kyungsoo to join him walking together. And yeah, the world must be crazy if Kyungsoo refuses.

They walk together, don’t know where to go. Just walking and walking.

“hey, is it hard to be an idol?” asks Kyungsoo

“yeah. It’s pretty hard. Why? You want to?”

“yeah. But, it’s impossible for me.” Says Kyungsoo

“why is it impossible? You have good looks, and I think you are good at singing.” Kai says

Kyungsoo smiles widely.

“no, it’s not because of it. I go to architecture university.”

“why do you go there?”

“my parents want me to be an architect.”

“but you want to be an idol, right?” asks Kai and Kyungsoo nods.

“you should have told to your parents that you want to be an idol.” Says Kai

“argh.. I don’t know. Things are tough.” Says Kyungsoo

“hang in there, Kyungsoo-hyung. You can do it.” Says Kai as he clenches his fists to cheer Kyungsoo up

“thanks.” Kyungsoo feels touched. He adores Kai  even more.

“no problem. Oh right, hyung... Tomorrow is my last day in Korea. I will go to promote my song in overseas for about three weeks. So, I have a plan to swim tomorrow. Would you join me?” asks Kai

“with whom?”

“just the two of us.” Says Kai

Kyungsoo thinks for a moment. He hates swimming. He is afraid of water. But, Kai, the person he adores asks him to swim together. If he refuses, then the chances of meeting him again is very small. ‘It’s rare for someone to get a chance like me’ Kyungsoo thinks. So, he decides to join him.

“okay. What time?” says Kyungsoo

“tomorrow is Sunday, right? How about at 07:00am?”

“okay. Hmm.. By the way, why don’t you ask your fellow members?”

“no. Actually, I want to swim in the river. I wanna know how does it feel. ”

“what?!” Kyungsoo has no idea that Kai wants to swim in the river. River? Does he hear it wrong?

“yeah. I never swam in the river since I was a kid. That’s why I want to feel the sensation.” Kai says, chuckling.

“you have a strange desire.” Kyungso says, chukling a bit.

“hahaha.. Yeah.. Life is strange.”

“okay. Where do you want to swim? What river?” Kyungsoo asks

“Gangcheon river”

Kyungsoo is very shocked. Gangcheon was the river where he was drowned before. He is really afraid of that river. However, he doesn’t want Kai to know that he has a fear of water. He doesn’t know why, but his parents always tell him to not show his weakness. And his weakness is water since he is an aquaphobic.

“hyung... What’s wrong?” Kai asks

“yeah. That would be nice.” Kyungsoo lies.

 “then, where should we meet tomorrow?” Kai asks

“anywhere will do” answers Kyungsoo

“then, let’s meet in front of the convenience store back there at 07:00. Okay?”

“yeah. Hmm.. by the way, will it be okay for you? People might recognize you.” Kyungsoo says.

“don’t worry. That river is quiet anyway. And people will go to Church, right?”

“yeah. Do you go to Church?” asks Kyungsoo

“yes. Sometimes I go there with the members. But we usually go in the Saturday evening, although today we didn’t go. Hahaha.. How about you?”

“I usually go on Sunday in the morning. But, I guess tomorrow I’ll go to Church in the evening.” Kyungsoo says

“that’s good. Oh, it’s almost 09:00. I have to go back to the dorm.” Says Kai

“yeah. Take care, Kai.”

“don’t call me Kai. Just call me Jongin.” Says Kai

“oh, can I?” Kyungsoo looks surprised.

“of course.  I’ll see you in front of the convenience store tomorrow. Don’t be late, hyung.” Says Jongin a.k.a. Kai

“okay, Jongin.” Kyungsoo says with a smile.