The Reunion

My Before Anyone-Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It wasn’t easy for them at first to be away and distanced from each other, yet at the same time both of them got the perfect reason to be pissed with one another—Kyuhyun was angry because most of her words that night hurt him and Nara was mad because Kyuhyun chose his girlfriend over her.

Ahn Nara left Busan only a month after her graduation, in a way, she wished Kyuhyun would remember her moving day, she wished Kyuhyun would lend a hand to pick up some of the heavy boxes, and she even wished him to accompany her to Seoul until she’s all set in her new dorm. But he was too busy with his new relationship and his enlistment at the same time—leaving them being apart from each other for a long time, without a proper goodbye.

She soon found a great muse in her new campus, although her first reason to enroll in this place was because of her rude ex, she learned slowly that she can have another reason to be happy with her new college life.

She got herself new friends, new hobby, new experiences and she couldn’t be happier for the fact she could forget about all the complicated physic and chemistry formula, for what she needed to do now just to dig deeper into her passion, which was design.

In her first year, Nara had to struggle to get decent grade. Even though she’s doing what she loved, many students came from across South Korea for the same reason she was and they all had to compete for the best score in order to survive in the best university in the country. She used her spare time to join campus activities and after more than a year in the university, one of her sunbae confessed to her and she got herself a boyfriend since then.

The thought of home and her high-school days sometime came up when she was focusing into her drawing, she had to repeatedly swallow the fact that most of that memories contains Cho Kyuhyun in the stories and she’d be lying if she said she didn’t miss him. Even in her new life, no one ever come close to his personality, no one ever cared for her the way he did and no one was a cool as he was in term of having a boy-and-girl friendship—and Nara cursed herself every time she remembered him, because she still annoyed with the fact he left her for his girlfriend.

One day, during her intense drawing moment in the studio, her phone rang with a display of unknown number on the screen. She ignored it at first but after the caller was persistent to call her for two days in a row, she finally picked up.

“Yeoboseyo.” She tried to sound bored.

“Nara-ya? Is this really you?” An exciting voice came from the other end.

“Who is this?” She takes the phone away from her ear and studies the unsaved number.

“Wow, you hate me that much to the point you forgotten my voice.” He chuckled, “It’s me, Kyuhyun. Please tell me that you still remember me.”

She put down her drawing pen and paid full attention to the phone. “Kyuhyun-a! how are youuu?” She gets so excited that she already forgotten the reason they fight in the first place. “How did you get my number?”

“I called your mom.”

“What?”

“I called your mom, I looked for your house-number in our year book and gave a call to your mom to ask for your number. She still remembers me and asked me to come to your house, I’m in your house now.” He explained.

“You what?” She curled her eyebrows.

“I’m in your house, your mom missed me and she said she’ll cook the pancake I like so much if I pay her a visit.” He giggled, “I was hoping to see you too, but she said you’re still in Seoul. It’s chuseok soon, aren’t you coming home?”

She’s puzzled with everything he just explained but she gave him her answer, “I’ll return this weekend. I still have some assignments to do. Kyu, it’s confusing, I’m not sure I grasp our conversation right now.”

“I miss you.” He answered shortly. “I just return from my enlistment and honestly I couldn’t wait to see you. You’re the second person I want to see the most, after my mother of course. Shall I pick you up, Ra-ya? I have time to go to Seoul.”

“Aish stupid boy, the train would all be booked by now.” She rolled her eyes but silently smiled to his nice offer.

“I’ll drive, I got my license in the end. Come on, a road trip from Seoul to Busan. What do you think?”

“What about your girlfriend?” She now reminded the reason of their separation.

“I knew you’ll bring that up.” He scoffed, “Let me put it this way, you’re right and I’m wrong. I should listen more to you and I’m sorry I put you aside for some .”

Nara laughed at once to his vulgar way of apologizing to her. “So you admit that it was the s that talked to you and not her inner beauty? And that you think with your instead of your brain?”

“Ne. I was blinded by those two round amazing things and trusted my other brain more instead of the one in my head.” He lowered his voice to avoid her mother to eavesdrop, “I’m sorry. Please forgive me and return to me.”

“Pick me up by Friday, I’ll text you my address and bring me some food to eat during out trip down to Busan. Only then I’ll forgive you.”

“I love you.” He said in joy, “I’ll pick you up. Ah, one small detail I need to ask, will your boyfriend be okay with this?”

“Is that your way to ask if I have a boyfriend or not?” She rolled her eyes, unimpressed with his lousy way. “Lame!”

“Well, do you have a boyfriend?”

“I do, but he doesn’t care, long story—I can tell you about it all during our trip back home.” She mumbled.

“Fine, see you Friday.”

“Bye.”

 

*

 

He waited in front of her dorm since sunrise, sat on the hood of his father’s car while he’s burning a cigarette as he waited for her. Ahn Nara only came out an hour later, with some boxes and drawings she hasn’t finished. Kyuhyun quickly stepped onto his cigarette and ran into her with his arms spread wide open. They didn’t need words to describe their longing of each other, when Nara returned his big hug, they knew that their argument that broke their friendship was no longer valid, it’s now water under the bridge.

“I miss you so much.” He pecked her on her head, “I broke my phone and lost all important numbers, should’ve called you sooner. So where’s this boyfriend of yours?”

“Aish, you smell like an ajjushi.” She mumbled but sank her face deeper into his shoulder, “Long story, Kyu. Help me with my stuff and I’ll tell you my stories on our way.”

He let go of his embrace around her to grabbed some of her stuffs and put it in the car. He then opened the door for her to allow her to get in before he got himself behind the wheel and started driving.

“So, what’s going on?” He glanced at her with a big grin on his face. “How’s life?”

She turned her seat towards his direction and took her moment to observe his appearance. From what she saw, Kyuhyun had grown even taller than the last time she met him, his body had become buffer and she noticed some of his muscle here and there, he got tanner and his attitude clearly became even cockier than he already was.

“Why are you staring at me?” He turned his head to see her.

“You change. You got a lot taller, I don’t even know you still can grow.” She chuckled, and lifted her hand to touch his upper arms, “And this, were you working hard for this?”

He laughed, “Thanks for noticing, did you know the training camp in the army was rough?”

“Really? I thought you had fun, it’s something you always wanted to do anyway—serving our country.” She t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter