Colors

Bundle of Nerves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That time when Sehun once again proved why he was the best son ever.

 

 

Chanyeol's pacing once more as he waits for his doctor's verdict. He was so nervous for this appointment (as is any other appointment for that matter) that he went to the clinic still in his scrubs with only a coat to cover them and himself from the growing chilliness of the season. With him were Yifan and Sehun, the latter busying himself with his phone playing something resembling Angry Birds or... whatever - he can't really think right now. His thoughts have been going haywire since the moment he stepped into this clinic and having his husband's eyes on him wasn't exactly helping.

"I-I know. I'm being ridiculous again but please, Yifan, could you just- could you just give me a break?" He says exasperatingly even though Yifan hadn't exactly said anything to warrant a reaction. The elder simply smiles warmly at him and it only agitates him further. "Yifan, please."

"I get it, Canlie." Yifan nods, so used to this that he no longer tries to calm Chanyeol down like when he had his legit panic attacks. "It'll be fine."

Chanyeol guessed Yifan was bound to say that sooner or later. He was about to retort about how that's always what he says at times like these and that it does little to calm him, about how he needs much more than three words of encouragement to fill and distract him from his frenzied thoughts, and about how he needed to feel Yifan's embrace around him for at least a few seconds... but he didn't have that luxury - not when the door suddenly opened and in steps his doctor with a clipboard in one hand and a folder in the other.

Chanyeol freezes in place and Yifan takes the moment to take hold of his hand to lead him to his chair before he faints on the spot. He rubs calming circles on the brunette's clammy skin, softly mumbling reassurances to ease his anxiety. Sehun had also taken that opportunity to close his phone, sitting upright nearby, sneaking a few gentle gazes at his father's direction every now and then.

Yifan and Sehun were 100% better at handling this than Chanyeol will ever be.

"Good morning, Park-sshi-" The doctor greets and then Yifan interrupts by clearing his throat with a raised eyebrow - indicating that Chanyeol's been long married to him that it made no sense for the doctor to forget his new surname. The doctor chuckles, "Oh, excuse me, but take it as a way to break the ice."

Yifan glances over to his husband and Chanyeol's skin returns to its original glow a little. His breathing has relaxed a bit too.

"Um," The brunette starts. "A-About... my tests and..."

"Yes," The doctor flips the folder and takes out a few papers. "These are reports from your therapist that I've received a few days back. You've been dutifully going to your sessions with her, haven't you?"

Chanyeol nods and takes this moment to intertwine his fingers with Yifan for the support. The longer he stays in this clinic listening to his doctor, the more nervous he becomes. It's like waiting for the fall in a roller coaster ride - an ever slowly moving climb, inch by inch, that just drives him crazy.

"The reports have been very positive lately, I'm very pleased to read them." The doctor smiles pleasantly at the brunette who lets out a sigh of relief. "You've been doing well in your therapy sessions. You should be proud of yourself."

Chanyeol nods vaguely.

"Now, for your medications..."

Chanyeol grimaces. He knows he's been reducing his dosages lately but he's just not sure if he's ready for it to be reduced again. It's becoming really hard to ignore the little push, that little urge to ask the 'what ifs' whenever his medications are involved. He knows he shouldn't depend on them, but he had nothing else to depend on to in the past.

"We can reduce the dosage this time," And Chanyeol shuts his eyes at hearing the news. "But..."

The word makes him open his eyes once more, "But?" He feels Yifan shift beside him.

"While withdrawal symptoms are common with patients such as yourselves who have been using these medications long term, I'm a little concerned..."

Chanyeol pales. Not too long ago, he had been receiving very good news from his doctor. What's this sudden change in the atmosphere? Why does his doctor seem a little hesitant? Has something gone wrong? What if he's reverting back? Chanyeol feels this unnerving itch to just get up and run away from this clinic, to head home and lock himself in his room. But the feel of his husband's hand around his is stopping him.

Stop. He thinks. Things are different now. Don't think. Listen to what the doctor has to say first. He chants, taking in a deep breath and he feels Yifan beside him, inching closer, radiating his warmth towards him and that's all he needs right now.

"You're taking a little longer than I had expected you would with overcoming your withdrawal symptoms," The doctor says, eyeing Chanyeol. "I thought at first it had something to do with your body, that maybe your system has been so used to the drug for so long that it's resistant to the change. But there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary..." The doctor says, flipping the papers in his clipboard. "Your blood tests are normal - erythrocyte count, leukocyte and platelets as well..."

"S-So then...?" Chanyeol mumbles weakly, feeling a little out of place.

"Maybe it's nothing to do with your biological state, but more so on your mental state?" And he catches the slightly offended look in Yifan's direction. He clears his throat, "What I meant to say is, perhaps you need a change in environment? You're still working, right? Maybe take a few days off and unwind? Your body can't handle stress after stress especially when it's undergoing a relatively drastic change without the medications."

Chanyeol lowers his gaze. Take a few days off? Leave home? Unwind? He can't do that. He can't just leave work and get on a vacation. Rather, given his current state, running off to some mountain for fresh air would do him no good seeing as he'd still worry about everything else. But the doctor was right. He needs something - he needs to change something or else he'll never progress with his recovery.

"It's just a little something to think about." The doctor says, "I'll postpone the change in your dosages for now. It might be a little risky to pursue it with where you are. So for your next schedule..."


Chanyeol felt that leaving the clinic felt heavier than when he had first arrived. He sat beside Yifan in the front seats, Sehun at the back fiddling with his phone again. He sighs, leaning his head against the window as they prepared to leave the parking lot.

"It'll be fine, Canlie." Yifan reaches over to hold his hand and he lets him but it's honestly not changing his mood a little bit. He's worried - again - and he can't seem to stop it. "How about you take a day off?"

"I can't, Yifan." Chanyeol turns his head to gaze into Yifan's direction, "I can't miss another day at work. Besides, it's almost winter, do you have any idea how many common cold and pneumonia cases we get around this time at the hospital?"

"But, Chanyeol, at this rate you'll wear yourself out to breaking point." Yifan looks worriedly at his husband's direction. "Don't think I don't notice how hard you're trying to hide the stress you feel whenever you don't take your medications."

Chanyeol flinches but Yifan holds his hand firmly.

"I know you're working really hard on this and I'm proud of you." Yifan says calmly, "But the doctor is right. You have to change something in your current lifestyle. I think missing a few days at work won't be that bad."

"I can't," Chanyeol looks away and rubs his head with his free hand, strained and tired all of a sudden. It didn't help that he hadn't taken his medications, but it was out of free will and not an obligation that he did. "I can't leave, Yifan. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy and relax in the first place given the kind of person that I am."

"Chanyeol-"

"How about repainting the walls?"

The question was so abrupt and so - uncanny - that the two adults turn their heads slowly to the source. Sehun lifts his phone up and shows his parents a website featuring color palettes of different shades with a few details at the side. What stood out the most was the little sentence at the top of the website:

Color Therapy (Chromotherapy) where color plays a major role in setting up a particular mood or state of mind.

"Color Therapy?" Yifan echoes, almost disbelievingly. "Sehun, you want to repaint our apartment?"

Sehun shrugs, "It could work? I've heard visual cues can have a huge effect on people's moods. So maybe papa can start destressing at home with a new paint job."

"Sehun, we don't need to repaint the whole apartment." Chanyeol shakes his head disbelievingly.

"All right then, maybe just the living room?" Sehun shrugs and Chanyeol chuckles at his son's insistence.

"Yifan, talk to your son, will you?" But Chanyeol notices that look the elder has and he starts feeling a little anxious, "Yifan?"

Yifan hums in thought at the idea, not because it's kind of childish and simple but because it could actually work and it makes perfect sense. If Chanyeol doesn't want to leave, why force him? The doctor said to change his environment, so what better place to start first than home itself? The family could use a little bonding time as well.

He smiles at his son's idea. And Chanyeol grimaces.

The apartment does need a new paint job, anyway.

"I like the way you think, Wu Shixun." Yifan says, starting the engine. This leaves Chanyeol gaping at his husband's direction.

Sehun smirks, "What will you guys do without me?"

Chanyeol blinks, confused. "A-Are we really-"

"Going to paint our apartment a new shade? Why, yes, Wu Canlie, we will." Yifan says, leaning over to kiss a quick peck on his husband's unsuspecting lips. He laughs at not only Chanyeol's adorable blush but also at Sehun's loud whine of complaint from the back seat.

 

The family arrive at the hardware shop within the bustling city, with Chanyeol still doubting the whole idea about repainting the walls so he could feel less edgy about everything.

"I don't know," He says, entering the shop as Yifan opens the door for him, their son Sehun hu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter