Alcohol

Bundle of Nerves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That time when it was Yifan who needed a shoulder to lean on.

 

 

"Yifan," Chanyeol sighs as he crosses the kitchen, dressed in his robe and pyjamas as he sees his husband's head resting on his arms atop their marble-white counter, completely out of it. He tilts his head and rolls his eyes with an exasperated smile on his face. "Fan, babe, it's midnight already."

"I don't care." Yifan murmurs.

"Of course you do." Chanyeol coos, walking over to place both of his hands on his arms, gently rubbing comforting on warm skin. "You've always been picky with time."

"Not tonight." Another defeated and flat reply.

Chanyeol smiles albeit sadly, a bit of concern on his face as he recalls what had happened.

Yifan works in a business firm and has been busily and dutifully preparing for a presentation that could either make or break him for the past two weeks. Because of that, Chanyeol and Sehun had been quietly supporting him, giving him time and space whenever he needed it. As the weeks approached, Yifan, someone who really separated work from home, started bringing some files from work back with him - something Chanyeol didn't really mind so as long as it made things easier for his husband. It progressed to him isolating himself to their spare room so as to not disturb Chanyeol as well, who would come home late from the hospital.

Yifan was working so hard for the presentation, so hard that he had lost plenty nights and days and time for both Chanyeol and Sehun working for it. So it was a big shock when, on the day of his presentation, he was set aside to accomodate the presence of their awkward co-worker who no doubt was only in the firm due to nepotism. It was fine, no big deal really, just as long as he gets to present his hard work to his administrators, he could let it slide.

Unfortunately for him, he wasn't even given that chance.

The managers were so delighted to have the relative of their president in the picture that they'd decided to promote him to the position Yifan was so desperately after. And Yifan wasn't just after that position for the title, it's not just because of the acknowledgement of his years in the firm, but he also needed the promotion to help pay for Chanyeol's treatment.

But no, nepotism-boy had to be the one under the spotlight, just because he's related to the hierarchy in the firm.

When Yifan came home, he was greeted by a smiling Chanyeol and Sehun, who had prepared the home with decorations and congratulatory props, even going as far as cooking his favorite dishes, expecting either way to be a celebration for Yifan's efforts.

But even Yifan couldn't grant that.

He wasn't even given the chance.

So, hours later, here he is - crumpled to a pathetic mass near the counter, drinking booze till midnight. It got so bad that even his husband woke up to check on him.

"Yifan," Chanyeol speaks softly, moving aside some of the bottles of beer and liquor on their counter top to lean over, pressing a gentle kiss on his husband's head. "I know it's painful for you right now, but I just want you to know that Sehun and I know how hard you've worked for it. Even if they didn't get to see your presentation, we know you'd have prepared something amazing. We're always proud of you, Fan."

"... Not now, Chanyeol." Yifan mutters. Yes, he may seem like a complete jackass right now, even though Chanyeol was trying so hard to cheer him up, but he can't help it. Right now, it's his nature to be the devil's advocate. Alcohol has that effect on him.

"..." Chanyeol pauses and slides his hands along his arms. He sighs as Yifan was still in his dress shirt and slacks, so upset to even bother changing out of them. He pulls back and walks around the counter. "Then, is it all right if I wait here?" He asks, taking a seat on the stool beside Yifan's.

"..."

"You've always been patient with me whenever I had my attacks," Chanyeol adds softly, "So let me make it up to you this time and comfort you as well. I'll wait here, Yifan, so take your time. Don't worry, okay?"

"..." Yifan slowly lifts his head and turns his sunken eyes to his husband's direction. He's expecting to see pity, disappointment and anger in Chanyeol's eyes - his eyes were always so expressive like that - but none of that could be seen over those beautiful orbs. Chanyeol's eyes showed nothing but care and concer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter