002

Reunion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ri’s POV

     “Can you take care of this? Thanks,” my boss asked as he set down a stack of folders on my desk. More work for me. Just great.

     “Sure,” I sighed as I opened one of the folders and saw the paperwork. It was going to take really long time to do, I just hoped he wasn’t expecting me to be done with this anytime soon. By the looks of it, I might have to take work home with me for a few nights.

     I leaned back in my chair and stretched my body out. Sitting behind a desk for most of the day was tiring. Although I was the Head Financial Officer, everyone just piled work on top of work for me. It was ridiculous, I should be the one giving people work not the other way around.

     Sure I liked my job on a good day, but days like this made me want to get up and leave. But I really needed this job, if I could I would apply to other places but there was so much competition out there that the thought of losing this job was unbearable.

     “Hey Chief,” Noah knocked on my open door as he poked his head through. I looked up and smiled. He was one of the new interns that the firm hired and he was very sweet and learned things fairly quick.

     “Hey. Can I help you with something?” I asked as I tried to scoot the files aside. He smiled as he straightened up and walked into my office to sit down in front of my desk.

     “I actually have a question about this,” he said handing me a piece of paper as he pointed to a statement about how most stocks work and how people can invest in them.

     “Oh, how can I explain this to you,” I said as I tapped my desk with the tips of my fingers wondering how I could explain something so complicated in the simplest way so he could understand it.

     After attempting my best to explain the stocks and how they change from day to day and how people profit or lose in stocks, Noah left my office content.

     “Thanks! I knew I could count on you!” He smiled as he waved goodbye and left the office. Smiling, I shook my head because he was always so bright and optimist about everything.

     Sighing, I checked my watch and realized it was already about lunch time. As I logged out my computer and was grabbing my purse, my phone started to ring. Picking it up, it was Hwa Eun. She really had the perfect timing.

     “Hello,” I said as I wedged my phone between my cheek and shoulder as I placed a file and my iPad Pro inside my purse before leaving my office and closing the door behind myself. I made sure it was locked before I made my way towards the elevator.

     “What are you doing for lunch?” she asked.

     “I don’t know? I was going to a near-by cafe,” I said as I grabbed my phone and changed ears.

     “Want to have lunch?"

     “Sure,"

 

     “This is not what I thought lunch would be like,” I hissed towards Hwa Eun as we sat across Jay and Sunghwa. It was awkward.

     “I’m glad you could join us Yoo Ri,” Jay said politely. “Hwa Eun practically begged us if you could join us,” he added as glanced over to said person and she simply gave him a big smile.

     “I’m sorry if I’m intruding,”

     “You’re not. Actually, it’s a good thing you are here,” Sunghwa smiled towards me causing me to grow suspicious.

     “Why is that?”

     He glanced over to Jay and they seemed to have some kind of telepathic moment or something because Jay turned towards me and smiled brightly.

     “How would you like to work for us. You don’t have to give a response. I’m well aware that you work for a really large Business Firm so take your time. If anything you could work with us on the side whenever you have time or when we have concerns,” he said

     “I-I… I’m flattered with your offer b-"

     “Think about it. Why don’t we order?” Jay quickly changed the subject as he waved down a waiter.

 

     After lunch, Hwa Eun decided to walk me back to the company as Jay and Sunghwa had other business to attend to.

     “So?” Hwa Eun smiled as she held onto my arm as we walked the semi-busy sidewalk.

     “What?"

     “Are you?"

     “I don’t know,” I sighed. Honestly, I was confused. I wasn’t sure why they of all people would ask me to work for them. I mean, I felt flattered that they asked me to work for them, but how can I leave my current job?

     “Whatever you choose, I will support you. I just really want to see you at the company. I don’t really have any friends besides you,” Hwa Eun said as she batted her eyelashes at me. I knew what that meant, I wasn’t about to give in so easily.

     I sighed as we continued to walk back to my company building. It wasn’t the tallest but it wasn’t the smallest. It was the perfect size and honestly, I loved working there. I’ve meet amazing people in the course of 3 years that I’ve been there and I wouldn’t want it any differently.

     “What do you think I should do?” I asked as I turned to face Hwa Eun, stopping in my tracks as I pulled on her arm.

     “I mean… you already know what I’m going to say, but this is up to you. You have to decide whats best for you,” Hwa Eun smiled. She was right, I had to make my own decision on this even if it meant putting everything on the line.

     “You have plenty of time to think it over. Let's go, I don’t want you to be late,” Hwa Eun pulled on my arm to lead the way to the entrance of the building.

 

Two and Half Weeks Later...

     Ever since Jay, made the proposal of me working at his company, I’ve been contemplating it every day. Questioning what would be the best fit for me. I didn’t want to leave this stable job but I also didn’t want to miss the opportunity of working with Jay Park. it was going to be a really hard decision and I wasn’t even sure what I wanted.

     Sighing, I ran my fingers through my hair as I scooted away from my desk to gather my things to leave. Lately, I’ve been working over time, trying to get everything done. Although it a few weeks before the deadline for most of these papers, I’ve already finished them because I haven’t really left my office or I would work on them whenever I got home. I guess that I was my way of trying to get my mind off of thinking about my pending decision.

     I was pretty sure that Jay was patiently waiting for a response from me. I just hoped he was understanding about way I was so long to give him a response. If anything, he really needed someone and couldn’t afford to wait, but maybe he really is considering me. I don’t know, I just didn’t want to get my hopes up to only get them crushed.

     Gathering a few folders and some papers, I placed them inside my bag and made sure I had my laptop, cell phone, and keys before making my way out of my office. I turned off the lights as I closed the door and promptly locked it.

     The way to the elevator was dim as everyone else had left. Reaching the elevator, I pressed the down button and waited for the elevator to arrive. As I stood there, my phone started ringing and I really thought it was Hwa Eun so I didn’t bother looking at the caller ID.

     “Hello?”

     “Are you busy?” A rather deep voice came from the other end confusing me. I pulled my phone from my ear and saw that it was...

     “Sunghwa,” I muttered.

     “Yeah?"

     “Nothing… but no I’m not busy. Why?” I asked cautiously. I wasn’t sure what to think or do.

     “Well, I was wondering if we could talk. Where are you? I could pick you up if you want?” he said smoothly. My heart started beating faster at the fact of riding in the same car as him and even potentially talking to him. If I was still in high school, I would have already answered, but I don’t know what I was waiting for. This was obviously my chance and I wasn’t about to pass it up.

     “Sure. I’m actually at my company right now, but I was leaving,” I said

     “Great, I’ll be outside in 5. See you then,” he said as he hung up and I was left dumbfounded, confused and maybe excited?

     Sunghwa had actually reached out to me, without me even trying. I wasn’t sure if I should be happy or what. The elevator finally arrived and I got in with a smile plastered on my face as I pressed the 1st-floor button. The doors closed and it descended rather quickly.

     Before I knew it, I was already on the first floor. Quickly, I got out of the elevator and walked towards the front of the building. I was really hoping that Sunghwa wasn’t already there, but as I exited the building, I saw a car waiting outside. So I assumed it was Sunghwa because there couldn’t possibly be anyone else in the building.

     Just in case, I dialed his number and called him. Not even two rings later he answered the phone.

     “Are you outside?” I asked before even letting him say anything.

     “Yeah, I am. I’m in the black Audi,” he said.

     “Alright. I’ll be right there,” I said as I hung up and swiftly made my way over to the Audi. I don’t know if I was possessed or what got to me, I was feeling really bold. Which totally wasn’t even me, but what did it matter? It’s not like he would notice because he never paid much attention to me back in high school anyway.

     Once I got to the car, I knocked on the window before opening the door and got inside.

     “Hey,” he said tenderly as greeted me. Blushing, I suddenly felt a wave of nervousness beneath my sudden boldness and I felt like I was going to screw something up. I just had that feeling as I felt butterflies in my stomach and I gulped as I put my seat belt on.

     “H-Hi,” I stuttered. Mentally slapping myself because how I could I be so foolish.

     He chuckled a little as he put the car in drive and took off.

     “I honestly didn’t expect you to agree to this,” he smiled as he to the street that was li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter