Sweet

Volatile

To Hakyeon, he’s the sweetest.

Jaehwan is sitting in the living room, watching some kind of variety show on TV while perched on the couch, feet propped up on the coffee table, and a pack of gummy bears in his hands. He laughs out loud at a joke one of the MCs tells, chewing on the sweets, lips stretching into the widest smile he can produce and Hakyeon’s heart aches from the lovely sight.

He pushes himself away from the doorframe and walks into the living room as quietly as he can, trying not to disturb Jaehwan as he sits down next to him. Jaehwan flashes a grin at him, offering the pack of sweets before turning back towards the screen and Hakyeon takes a few tiny bears out of the bag, popping them into his mouth, scooting as close to Jaehwan as he can. He drapes an arm over the backrest of the couch, running his fingers through Jaehwan’s hair.

“Hyung,” Jaehwan breathes, flinching, eyes glued to the screen. “I can’t concentrate like this.”

Hakyeon chuckles, caressing Jaehwan’s frizzy hair gently until Jaehwan groans and finally leans into the touch like a cat—like he always does. Hakyeon has learnt it long ago that taming Jaehwan is as easy as taming a friendly animal: all it takes are a few packs of sweets and some tender touches for Jaehwan to be close to purring.

Hakyeon would tell him how cute he is, but that would break the tranquillity of the moment—Jaehwan would tell him to stop being so gay and shove him away, so Hakyeon stays quiet, enjoying the way Jaehwan leans more and more into his side until his head rests on Hakyeon’s shoulder. As Hakyeon cards his fingers through Jaehwan’s locks, Jaehwan’s grip on the bag of gummy bears weakens, his breathing becoming even, warm puffs of air hitting Hakyeon’s clothed shoulder.

He takes the gummy bears away from Jaehwan as carefully as he can, placing them on the coffee table—Jaehwan whimpers—trying to accommodate Jaehwan as comfortably as possible on the couch, his hand never leaving the younger’s hair. Hakyeon presses a kiss to the top of Jaehwan’s head, making Jaehwan let out a contented sigh as he settles lower, practically resting his head in Hakyeon’s lap now, his nose buried into the bunched-up material of Hakyeon’s T-shirt, and Hakyeon suddenly lets go of him, so he won’t bother him in his sleep.

“Hyung,” Jaehwan slurs, voice muffled by Hakyeon’s shirt.

“Yeah?” Hakyeon whispers.

“Please, don’t stop,” Jaehwan replies, frowning with his eyes closed.

Hakyeon smiles down at him, even though he can’t see it—and continues caressing him even after Jaehwan has started snoring.