13.

Nothing Special

When I was at work one of my co-workers came in crying. She said that she was dumped by her boyfriend whom which they were together for almost 3 and a half months. She explained that he called early that morning before arriving at work, making sense as to why her clothes were already disheveled and face streaked with black from her mascara.

 

My other co-worker and I tried to talk her through it, as she kept on rambling about 'I loved him so much' to 'he was so caring and kind to me' to 'we were perfect together' all in one go. My co-worker then told her firmly that she should move on and forget about him, but she couldn't.

 

After a while of just talking I guess it didn't go anywhere to the point that my co-worker got all worked up and said firmly: “You probably didn't realize it yourself, but there's no such thing as a 'perfect' relationship. Every couple has their own flaws that's deemed to be hidden somewhere between them. You're just picturing all the good moments that happened with you both, and not – or simply denying – the bad moments. Escape from your delusions and deal with the reality.”

 

I had to admit, that was a little harsh as what he had said to her. I was just standing there, seeing her cry some more as he left her to be, and I, knowing nothing else to do and given the fact that I shouldn't give her another cold shoulder, hugged her close and tried to be comforting. I confronted him and said why he had to say such things. But all he did was shrug and profoundly boasted “Don't worry, she'll come to her senses” and I was worried for maybe she wouldn't return back to the same old cheery self that everyone was fond of at work. I was worried for a couple of days as she took a sick leave the day after that little incident.

 

But on a Friday, surprisingly not knowing she would come back from her leave, for the first time after so long upon hoping to see her smile again; she was practically beaming instead. She said to me that she was able to clear off her head for a little bit and start off new again – seemingly forgetting about her past with her ex so quickly.

 

She sorted out what her flaws were and decided to relax by doing yoga classes during the weekend. Oddly weird that within the next month she already found a new beau (apparently met him in one of her classes). Not that I wasn't happy for her, but I found it quite shocking she moved on from being dumped not too long ago so fast like that.

 

“Did she say thanks for giving that advice to her?” I asked my co-worker. He had sipped his coffee, sighing and a small shrug came as a response.

 

“Yeah, but I told her not to.”

 

“How come?”

 

“Because that was her decision into actually taking my words literal. I didn't force her into considering it, but she took it anyway. Really she should be thanking herself for using my said advice into coming this far. Though I would say that I somewhat wanted credit.” he ended up humoring me even in the most obscured situations possible, because I laughed with him in the end.

 

After that day I wondered if she was going to become any more or less different now that she was dating again. I wondered if she was going to go through the same break-up and cry; my worry easing up again. But, it didn't happen.

 

But his words did strike me. Organizing what's real and what's fake to us...

 

We all faced our reality one way or another.

 

* * *

 

It was soon becoming October, the leaves from the trees becoming more orange-red and subdued in warm colours. The weather changed from being scorching hot to chilly and cool. Personally I love the fall season. There was something about it that gives that in-between comfort for me, for I like a mix of both sides – it's not too cold but not too warm either. Perfect enough to wear a casual sweater and maybe a light pair of knee highs if I wanted to.

 

But it was also the time for Chuseok. Our school hosts a festival for it every year early on the month, and each class is usually responsible for it. Yuna, as part of the student council, she was practically hands filled with so many plans and set up for the booths and the performances.

 

“You want me to help you out with anything?” I asked her, sitting at my desk and just finishing up my last notes before the bell rang for lunch. We got up and walking alongside, eventually meeting Hoseok who was just finishing talking with Taehyung.

 

“Actually, nothing really. We're almost done with our events set for that day. Speaking of, I just need to talk with Hoseok because he's one of the performers.” as if on cue he came up to us with that look of 'were-you-calling-me?'.

 

“Hoseok, are you finished with the choreography?” the said boy nodded; taking out pages of loose paper outstretched in his hand for her.

 

“I came up with it over the weekend. I'm going to try and practice it maybe after school every day this week. I wanted to use the soccer field, and I already asked the P.E teacher which she said it was fine.” Yuna nodded and we went off to eat. We finished off our last lesson for class and soon the day at school was over.

 

Yuna and I were at our locker when suddenly I heard someone calling my name. Looking over at my right I see Hoseok out in the hall waving a discreet hand ushering me over where he is. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion I slowly walked to his direction.

 

“Psst, come closer.” he waved his hand in front of him again. I sighed, obliging. He then leaned closer to my ear and whispered (there was seriously no one in the halls so I didn't understand why he had to be so damn quiet), “since I'm going to be practicing, do you want to come with? Unless you're going home with Yuna...”

 

I shook my head. “No, she too is going to stay behind. Student council, remember? And besides, I think you're forgetting something,” I held out my open palm towards him. He just stared down dumbfounded, unsure how to react. After moments of staring I sighed and just plainly put it out there.

 

“You owe me an melon bread. Since last month.” I smirked. Short story short, I had to help him with a project that he never finished and was due the next day, and in return of the favor he had to owe me a melon bread. I constantly kept reminding him, and his excuse is 'I promise to bring it tomorrow!' and he says that the next day. And the day after that. Note to self – never return favors for Hoseok.

 

He clasped his hands together in a begging plea. “I promise, I swear to you, I will buy it after practice!”

 

“Fine,” I grumbled. “you better promise me then.” with that he gave me his foolish grin that he always puts to ease off the tense situations like these. He seemed to be a silly guy, but really he's quite serious...if you actually point out to him what he was lacking and would ultimately try to prove not.

 

I wasn't sure why I didn't question as to why he wanted me to see his practice, and clearly I should have said no to him and forget the whole melon bread ideal. Because even from a distance I can see Namjoon and Yoongi sitting on the bleachers, close together and huddled over something. Hoseok whistled a high pitch and instantly grabbed attention of one of them, which was Namjoon.

 

“Hey, Aeri.” Namjoon waved a hand at me. I waved a small hand back, ignoring my fast and sudden heartbeat that thumped loud in my ears. Yoongi knew my presence for he quickly looked up and drove his attention back to fiddling with the single-lens camera in his hand.

 

Apparently Hoseok knew about Namjoon making mix tapes and thus asked him to make a track for his dance performance. They set up one of their phones in the aux cord, of the laptop (property of Namjoon) and soon Hoseok began right away. I sat on the bleachers and as always, stared in awe with his precise dancing moves and skills.

 

Namjoon and Yoongi were too busy chitchatting with each other to really pay attention, and now realizing that they were actually too busy playing with Yoongi's camera. Each rehearsal Hoseok would stop the music and ask how he was doing with the dance.

 

“I need your honest opinion – you're really good at things like that.” he bluntly admitted. I scoffed, trying hard not to smile and keep a neutral expression.

 

“Well, your beginning spin was good,” I pondered. “and the way you time your beats with the chorus is good too. But I think you could maybe slow down with the time of the second round of the beats coming in.” I rewind the part I was talking about and counted by 8ths.

 

He took that information in and nodded, trying again. The second attempt wasn't so bad, in fact was much better than the first time that's for sure. Hoseok was good in terms of putting so much power in his moves that it was almost flawless dancing, however being stuck around him longer I can notice the few small differences.

 

I let Hoseok do his own practice without my consult for now and sitting back at the bleachers I checked my phone if Yuna, or my parents, had left me any messages. It was 4:47 pm. There were no messages. Not even a call. “Waiting for someone to pick you up?”

 

Looking up quickly I see Namjoon smiling down at me, that signature dimple look that instantly pulls me into a mode of distraction. I gulped dryly and shook my head. “A-ani, I thought I was checking my phone if someone left me a message.” I sheepishly chuckled.

 

He pursed his lips, stretching his hand and putting it casually into the pocket of his pants. “Ah, I see. You know, Hoseok's a really good dancer.” he pointed out randomly. I only hummed in agreement, my hands curling into a fist and clenched tight against the fabric of my skirt, resting on my knees. He's trying to make a conversation. Why don't you do too Aeri?

 

I still am so awkward around him, despite me getting over the guy. Hell, I couldn't face him properly without my heart thumping so loud and blushing like an idiot for him doing even the smallest things. Namjoon chortled a laugh; hoping it wasn't directed to me and thank God it wasn't, as he turned to me again. “you're not dating Hoseok, are you?”

 

This time I had to cough in order to clear my throat. It was loud enough that it even got Yoongi to look up from his camera in our direction suspiciously. But he quickly just went back to his usual business anyway. “W-what? Where did you hear that ridiculous idea from?” I say in bafflement.

 

“I just assumed. You guys seem too close to be 'just' friends. Always laughing together, always walking home together...” he dragged on a whole bunch of ideas that once he was done I looked at him once. Just with one stare. And I burst into my own laughter.

 

“Oh my god, those are all normal things!” I clutched my stomach. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion which then I had to settle down first before explaining myself. “Hoseok and I really are just friends. He's not my ideal type anyway.” I simply stated. His lips soon quirked into a small curious grin.

 

“Oh, really? Then what would be your ideal type then?” I looked over at him then, my defense dropped completely. He looked at me with eyes of such curiosity but tinged with seriousness that I wasn't sure how to respond. I was just completely thrown off by the question. For one thing, I wanted to admit bluntly and say 'my ideal type would have been you'. He was teasing me; I know he was. I was unsure about whether or not to tell him but soon I didn't have to, because Hoseok came and called my name so suddenly that tore Namjoon's eyes from mine. I finally exalted a relieved huff of air.

 

“Let's go to the convenience store now.” Hoseok was drenched in sweat as his forehead gleamed under the glowing sun. He drowsed himself on the head with a bottle of water and shook his hair to remove the excess. I rolled my eyes and inwardly smiled.

 

Yoongi and Namjoon went the same way as we did, but turned to the other side of the street. When Hoseok and I entered the store he bought me two melon breads – both of us to have – and sat on the chairs set up outside. “You heard our conversation, didn't you?” I spoke up.

 

He coughed, looking at me with wide and panic stricken eyes. “What arfm you talkenf abouch?” his cheeks were bloated with the bread.

 

“You never tried to show off, you hate doing so. When you poured the water all over you?” I rose an eyebrow. He groaned in defeat, swallowing before he responded with an answer.

 

“Damn it,” he mumbled under his breath. “I wanted to tease you, then laugh in your face.” I scoffed.

 

“Well, I guess you have to try harder.” I say, shrugging.

 

“Do you really not see me as your ideal type? At all?” he asked then. I took a swig of my strawberry milk.

 

“Hoseok, you're my best friend. I only see you as one.” I admit. He smiled, ripping a piece of his bread and popping it into his mouth.

 

“And I see you as my best friend as well.” for some reason that brought a warm feeling in my stomach, the kind of surprise where you would call someone one thing and not once would you be hearing the same thing coming from their own mouth. I felt almost ecstatic to hear it. Just those words, 'my best friend', he sees me the same way back.

 

***

 

'Best friend', when it came to me now, I have two. Yuna, who I knew much longer since childhood (elementary counts for we were still friends back then too) and now Jung Hoseok who I was able to put lean another shoulder on. It was hard to put the same trust in both of them, because somehow it leads to putting more attention than on the other.

 

That's what I learned in the fall of my senior year.