Reply 2008

Reaching Out to You

“Amber, would you please, for once and for all, reach out to me again as I, Wu Yi Fan, the coward, is still afraid of taking chances?”

Kris POV

As if the sky heard his sincere yearn of his heart, Kris suddenly saw a meteor shower, which is a rare event in Shanghai sky which is usually covered with haze. It was as if the sky is telling him to finally push out his limits. Suddenly, he remembered their first meeting. Think about it. It was Amber who reached out to him first.

Amber POV

Rolling around the bed, Amber’s mind was filled with the thoughts of Kris, his sudden departure and the times spent together. At the thought of their first meeting, she could not help but smile. It was such a memorable meeting. She was the one who reached out to him.


Flashback 2008

Amber POV

It seems just like yesterday when Amber passed an audition held by SM in LA. Although her sister, Jackie, often told her that she got a potential to be a star, Amber just auditioned to take a shot and never expected to be actually chosen. She was thrilled to be here in Seoul, to actually start her rigorous training to be a kpop star. Today is the D-day. Today is the first day of her dance training and the Korean language lesson. “Man… I can’t wait. It feels just like the first day of school,” she thought to herself. “Whatever the future holds, I just need to try my best. Can’t let down the expectations of dad, mom and Jackie,” clenching her fists, she walked into the building to find the dance studio.

Sticked on the door of the dance studio was the paper written, “International Trainees.” Relieved at the thought of not needing to communicate in a new foreign language, Amber shook off her nervousness and walked into the room confidently. At a glance, it’s really obvious that these people have been training for quite a long time as people were staying with their own little groups. Thoughts flooded into her mind, “Damn… How the heck am I supposed to fit in now when they have already got their little gangs?” The man who seems to be an instructor came up to her and said, “Don’t worry. We are just training with small groups each. You are Amber, right? The American Chinese?” “Yes, sir, I am Amber, came from LA. Which group do I have to join?” asked Amber. Pointing at the small group of three guys, the instructor continued, “That group, they are all Chinese and one more Chinese girl will join you soon too. She’s more experienced compared to those three guys, so, she will be a leader of your group when she arrive. Those three guys are also rather new, so, do not worry about not fitting in. In the past two weeks since I’ve paired them up, I have not seen the progress in their relationship yet. You be the bridge, okay? And, do well on the training.” “Yes, sir, I will do my best,” Amber answered in a loud voice and walked towards the group.

Amber has always been a social butterfly in her school and everywhere she went. Believed in her ability of adaptability and sociability, she introduced herself confidently, “Hey guys! I’m Amber. I will be training together with you guys starting from today. Let’s be on good terms, kay?” One guy stood up and shook hands with her, saying, “I’m Lay, this is Luhan (pointing with his chin to the guy who just stood up) and the guy who’s sitting there, he’s Kris.” After shaking hands with Luhan, she went to Kris and handed out her hand. Instead of the handshake, Amber was greeted by his cold stare and the nod. Taken back by his actions which Amber is rather familiar, she just jokingly responded, “Ooohhh, dude, cool kid on the block, huh?” Seeming not interested by her words, he turned his head to the opposite side. (A/N; Sentences written in ** are the thoughts of the characters to themselves) *What the actual heck? This dude… Did he just seriously turn his head around and ignore me? Okay, Amber. Calm down. Maybe he’s just really shy and not good with people. He’s probably an extreme introvert. Don’t get work up on the first day just because of one guy.* Luhan, who read the atmosphere, approached to Amber and whispered, “Kris doesn’t talk that much and plus, he had quite a bad day yesterday, so, please understand. He probably had a lot on his mind.”

Hearing Luhan’s explanation of Kris, Amber replied while smiling, “That must be it, right? Actually, I was quite mad of his behaviour but, thanks for telling me, Luhan. Everybody got a bad day every once in a blue moon, and, today must be his. You must be quite close with him though?” “Ah… since he’s not quite the talker, and it’s only been like two weeks since we’ve met, so, can’t say if we are friends or not, yet,” explained Luhan, “but, me and Tao are quite close now. We have been hanging out a lot since we’ve been partnered up.” Optimistically, Amber told the guys, “We four, plus, another girl, I do not know who, but, let’s do our best!”

The first dance practice was too much for Amber even though she used to be quite sporty back in high school. However, she was surprised to see the guys dance so smoothly and not panting like crazy while she, on the other hand, was panting and sweating like there’s no tomorrow. Noticing Kris’s frowning, Amber sat beside him and said, “Okay, bro. Chill, will ya? Life is too short to be actually frowning and going all pessimistic. By the way, you do realise that you made a big mistake by ignoring me earlier, right? But, since I’m such a nice and forgiving person, I will let it slide. Okay?” Amber bumped her fist onto Kris’s arm. Kris turned to her and slowly, he smirked, saying “Thanks, bro. But, why is your name Amber? It’s rare to see guys with a name like Amber.” Bursting out into a laugh, Amber explained, “Oh my gosh. I mean, I get it all the time of being mistaken as a guy, but, seriously? Which parents in their right minds, especially Asian parents, would name their son a girls’ name? I’m a girl.” Kris exclaimed, “What?! You are a girl?! I seriously… Oh gosh. I am so sorry.” Chuckling, Amber told Kris, “You look better when flustered.”


Thank you so much for subscribing everyone! Jinja Jinja Kumasumida! I will have to apologize for my writing. I really at writing dialogues, so, please bear with me. I'm on the roll since I started writing this story two days ago, so, I could update it real quick. Please feel free to leave a comment too. I will try to write longer and longer next time. Until then, Ciao! #^-^#