an eye for an eye, a tat for a flower

an eye for an eye, a tat for a flower

Yonghwa’s parents used to tell him to never judge a book by its cover.

However, two steps in his floristry store and he is almost screaming because only he and his new part-timer are on shift and there is a menacing figure standing in front of their counter. Cladded in a biker’s jacket, he could see the tattoos peeking out of her ripped jeans and he is afraid, and is not doing a good job at hiding it.

“She’s yours!” Jungshin pushes his boss forward, stopping himself before he ruins his potted plants that were reserved for a wedding the next day.

He nervously smiles when she turns around to face him, returning it with a glare which could kill him if she wanted and he wished he had an emergency bell of some sort for moments like this.

“I need sunflowers.” She laments, holding her neck with one of her hands. “A few stalks will do.”

“O- Okay, that’ll be five dollars.” She nods, fishing out her studded wallet, placing a ten-dollar note on the counter as she waits for him to make a move and get her order ready.

“Nice store you have here.” Stopping by the bushes of roses, taking a good look. “I’m Joohyun, by the way. I’m the owner of the tattoo parlour next door.”

“I’m Yonghwa.” Things are going to look better for him since the previous store was another floristry store like his and were much more popular than his tiny one. They had vast options while he was only starting out with a tight budget.

Jungshin slides the door open at the commotion, bowing slightly at their customer, nudging Yonghwa with his elbow. “What?” He almost yells because he would not poking his sides.

She takes her purchase from Yonghwa, ignoring the two as she leaves with a chime of the door.

“She’s so scary!”

Yonghwa sighs loudly, “You little kids and your constant judging.”

Scoffing, he walks out of the room. “You were shaking so hard, I thought you were going to break.”

Yonghwa uses the remaining wrapping paper to hit him, telling him to get back to work.

 

The second time Joohyun shows up to his store, he is much more poise, greeting her as she enters with a gracious smile.

“Daisies, a few stalks.”

“Six dollars.” He replies, retreating to the back to get fresh ones for her.

He wonders how much pain she must have encountered getting those tattoos, they are beautiful to say the least. Especially the pin-up designs around her neck area, down to her shoulders.

She grins, catching his eyes, watching his face turns red rapidly. “Thank you.”

 

It became a routine, every day she would ask for a specific flower and he would get her the freshest ones in his store, and it became something he looked forward to.

Until one day Jungshin shows up to work, with bandages around his left arm. Yonghwa rushes to his side, telling him to get home straight, he could manage by himself until the other part-timer arrives.

“It’s fine, I just- did, uhm, a tattoo.”

“Wait, what. Does your parents know about it?”

Jungshin gives him his best puppy eyes and he gets drags by his ear, turning the sign to closed because he has something important to do.

He should have thought on what he was going to say because once he went in, a part of him instantly died. The buzzing of various tattoo guns with confused looks on him might have made it clear to him this is a bad idea.

He lets go of Jungshin, asking him who tattooed him. “The one who comes to our store.”

“And that’ll be me.” She removes her face mask, excusing herself from her client. “What’s wrong?”

Yonghwa takes a deep breath, approaching her with his arms crossed. “Did you know he was sixteen?”

She clicks her tongue, because duh, that is why they have parental consent forms. “Yeah, and you signed it.”

“How could you tattoo a sixteen-year old without any adult consenting and, wait, what.”

She holds up the paperwork Jungshin had gave them, his initials written bright and clear at the corner of the paper. He turns to Jungshin and he flees the store in record time. Oh, god, Yonghwa thinks to himself. He hands the paperwork back to Joohyun, apologising for making a scene.

“Hey, I’m sorry it happened. I should have asked you beforehand.”

“It’s fine.” And he leaves.
 

Joohyun did not show up to his store for almost a week, and he could not help himself from staring at the door from time to time. His heart falling when it was not her but his other regular customers.
 

“You look like you’ve been jilted or something.”

He looks up in surprise when Joohyun shows up outside his store next to her Harley, throwing her helmet in his arms. “Come on, let’s get dinner.”

“Do you always do this?”

Joohyun gets on, putting her own helmet on, urging for him to do the same. “Do what?”

“Giving random people lifts and having dinner together.”

“Only for you, babe.”