Chapter 5

Double Agent

A strange curiosity grew within Kyungri after Sera recorded the event. It wasn’t about the new improved technology Sniper Corporation established. It was the conversations Sera and Hyuna had. Sera accidentally didn’t turn off the recorder after giving the pin to her. However, Kyungri set aside from calling Sera to her office, it was only a matter of days until she expects Sera knocking her door spilling her emotions and experiences.

 

A small creak from the door snapped Kyungri’s back to reality. After realizing it was someone with a friendly face who walked through the door, she relaxed her shoulders and gestured the agent to take a seat.

 

“Agent Ryu, what can I do for you today?” Kyungri knitted her fingers together with elbows both propped on her glass desk.

 

“My brain is fried from studying codings, scriptures…” Sera slumped on a chair, rambling her words then paused knowing there was enough details of her day. “Then I have training in… Five minutes.” She continued.

 

“Are you looking forward to that?”

 

“Getting beat up by Hyuna?” Sera replied, feeling a jump in her heart after she said her name. “Yeah… sure.”

 

The dead weight lifted off of Sera’s shoulders after thinking about how training would go with Hyuna. Even though it was the same procedure everyday, working on physical movements and getting to know about each other a bit more, Sera enjoyed it a lot. After watching the older agent demonstrate how to defend yourself in certain situations, Sera would pay attention to her small habits. The way she would always tug her hair behind her ear every time Sera caught her off guard. The way she would fiddle her fingers when silence broke in any conversation. Not that it was weird, it’s better to study your partner than having no clue of their ways.

 

“How did the event go? You never told me anything about it.” Kyungri interrupted Sera’s train of thought, suddenly gazing sharply at her patient.

 

It was obvious Sera was thinking of someone.

 

The heat radiated off of Sera’s cheeks reminding herself of the first time she saw Hyuna glammed up. Specifically in that moment, Sera was unsure what to do, knowing that her partner is the most beautiful person she ever laid eyes on.

 

They’re partners on the same level, but Sera would never imagine standing next to her. Hyuna’s ability to be being flawless and talented was a combination Sera would dream of.

 

“The presentation was cool. They actually presented a few of their-”

 

“No, Sera.” Kyungri glances at her while walking around her desk. “What did you guys do?” Her eyes linger on Sera’s face as she leaned back comfortably back against her desk. “You forgot to press stop on the pin after the event. ” Kyungri crossed her arms raising her dark eyebrow.

 

“I’m so stupid.” Sera exhaled closing her eyes for a brief moment then finds Kyungri’s face still wiped with the look.

 

“You are.” Kyungri nodded her head, changing the pitch in her voice.

 

Sera shot up from the chair and punched her playfully on the arm. “How can you be that mean?” Sera’s demeanor shifted into bafflement, making a note how Kyungri can be blunt at times. Embarrassment clouded her face, with a reddish tone that was more noticeable.

 

“I’m being honest! As your personal therapist I have to guide you and make sure that you’re following the right path.” Kyungri chuckled, trying to stop the muscles on her face from laughing.

 

“Well… we actually…”

 

The two heard the sound of the director’s door drawing open, accompanied by a face who belonged to no other than Hyuna.

 

“Agent Moon, what can I do for you?” Kyungri’s voice was poised. She fixed her posture while her lips firmly settled a neutral smile.

 

“Can I speak to you..” She began then paused, “In private.”

 

The room was still for a moment. Stunned by the appearance of her partner, Sera dumbly looked at her walk to the center of the room.

 

“We will finish our discussion later.” Sera spoke gently in the process making her way out of the director’s office avoiding Hyuna’s perimeter.

 

The soothing atmosphere came to an end. If a pin were to drop both of them would be able to hear it. That’s how silent it was. It was rare that Hyuna made visits to Kyungri’s office. They didn’t have any favors for each other.

 

“What are your intentions on Sera?” The agent tilted her head while narrowing her eyes at the director.

 

“Is that why you came here?” Kyungri made her way back to her seat with a heaving sigh before sitting down.“I have no interest in her, if that’s what you are planning to talk about. Are you?”

 

Yes.

 

Hyuna froze. Unwillingly to bring herself to answer her question, she kept shut. Averting her eyes from the other girl to the ground, Kyungri cleared only to bring an explanation.

 

“Sera came here without any friends. That’s why she occasionally visits my office. You can say I’m the person she leans onto. She trusts me.” The director slowly explains noticing a subtle change in Hyuna’s face.

 

The older agent bit the bottom of her lip furrowing her brows slightly. She felt betrayed. It wasn’t Sera and Kyungri’s fault for getting to know each other first. But she wanted to be the position where Kyungri stood in Sera’s life. As partners they’re supposed to depend on one another with their whole lives. Hyuna was looking forward to establish that relationship, opening to each other’s personal thoughts and interests. Was one person just enough for her? Maybe the thing they had the other day wasn’t special. It was a simple flirtatious action they came up with in the heat of the moment.

 

Hyuna formed her lips into a thin line then nodded her head at Kyungri before leaving her office.

-

 

There was complete silence in the room, in which Hyuna forgot how to conversate with Sera. The moment Hyuna entered from the back door, Sera knew she was carrying something heavy inside her chest.Maybe it was something that had to do with Kyungri.

 

It’s not my business, Sera kept reminding herself.

 

Hyuna took more interest what was on the walls, instead of paying attention to Sera. It was difficult to look at her knowing that Hyuna sensed some distrust in their relationship.

 

The punching bag swung side to side from the constant forces the young agent made. Hyuna knew Sera was strong. There was nothing to improve considering that she had the same scores when she took the final exam. The rookie's hair was up in a bun. Sometimes she would sweep the loose strands of her raven hair to the side with her forearm collecting the sweat that glistened her forehead.

 

“Hyuna, are you okay?” Sera asked, beginning to unwrap the white cloth from her hands. She was still breathing heavily.

 

After few moments passed by, Sera raised her head to glance at the older agent. There was a layer of unknown feelings that covered Hyuna. She couldn’t lay a finger on the emotion her partner displayed. But she is willing to find out if Hyuna opened up.

 

“Yes, I’m okay.” Hyuna hesitates for a moment before looking at her in the eyes.

 

“It’s been a long day for the both of us… We should rest for a while.” Sera tried to talk to her. She weakly tugged the corners of her lips forming a small smile.

 

Despite Sera working hard from the minute they began training, she felt guilty for not speaking up sooner. It was the first time Hyuna didn’t correct any of her mistakes. Unaware of the passing time, Sera awkwardly stood in front of her waiting for a reply.

 

“Yeah it’s been a long day…  We should end it for today.” Hyuna lowered her eyes to the ground. She rubbed her hand against the back of her neck.

 

It came to a realization that the decision of having a partner was regretful.

 

I’m better off on my own. If the boss told me that we scored the same, there is no need for us to be together as partners. We can both achieve being top agents independently. Being caught up with each other’s emotions will only make us weaker.

 

When Hyuna stirred back into consciousness, she stepped off from the elevated platform walking towards the bench to retrieve her belongings, leaving Sera alone.