Chapter 4

Double Agent

A debriefing was announced earlier this morning. People who belonged in Level A were called for a mission, specifically for the new recruits who started working there. Sera along with the other two agents sat in front of the daunting directors and older agents. It was declared by the boss that they will work together for their very first mission.

 

Hyuna was disappointed by this random approach. Knowing that she won’t be there for Sera in her first mission seemed like the boss ignored her statement. She disagreed on the idea of pairing the three together since they haven’t trained together as a whole. Nobody knows how their dynamic functions and who would take charge. Her fellow co-workers agreed on her idea, however the boss tossed aside their comments wanting to know if they are worthy of a team they could depend and trust on.

 

Trust.

 

Building a relationship with one another and risking each other’s lives for the sake of others has been the goal since the incident of Hyuna’s ex-partner.

 

Hyuna erased threatening memories of the past from her mind before it turned into a big distraction. Her eyes gazed over focusing on Kyungri who was introducing a new gadget. The director of technology swiftly moved to an empty area of the room to demonstrate her new creation.

 

“Here is a chip that can create any holograms that can be used as a decoy for any situation. It is beneficial to our agents at risk in creating a distraction in any mission.” Kyungri held up a centimeter-wide chip.

 

When eyes were glued on the smallest weapon, Kyungri dropped it to the floor pressing a button behind her back. There was a moving image that played. When analyzing the motions of the image it had no defects or lines that could possibly tell that it is fake.

 

“Sera, do me a favor and try to touch the hologram.” Kyungri asked.

 

Sera followed her orders brought her hand to touch the hologram. Her hand split through the hologram creating a hole. The silence was replaced of gasps and applauses at the sight of her hand going through flashes of images.

 

“We will be testing this weapon for your very first mission.” The boss announced with a stern voice making everyone’s head snap towards his direction. “This better go well.” He concluded sharply eyeing the three new interns.

-

The first assignment was to take information from a computer in Sniper Corporation's headquarters. Coming up with a plan was an easy process, however taking a stance on facing the enemy’s ground was nerve wracking.

 

“Sera, use the chip to avert the guard guarding the computer lab. Then instead of escaping from the front door, go climb into the vents that leads up to the ceiling.” Kyungri passed her the chip and digital map of the building from her tablet. Sera scanned the map memorizing each corners, exits and hallways. When taking the chip from the director’s hand she kept the chip in her utility belt.

 

As for her other partners, agent Jung would focus on the technical work of downloading the files from the computer. The other, agent Woo, is capable of doing more physical actions.

 

The trio sneaked into the back door of the headquarters. Agent Jung looped the camera systems for an hour, just enough time to crack the computer files and escape.

 

Sera lead the two into the computer lab. In the back of her mind, she hoped that this first mission will go smoothly. Throwing the chip across the hallway, the guard turned to face the direction of the moving picture then approached it leaving the door unguarded.

 

The three swiftly moved inside the vacant computer lab getting to work. Agent Jung started hijacking the computer setting up downloads. Sera and her other companion waited behind the door while staying alert. As time passed by Sera would peer through the window making sure the hallway was clear.

 

“Sera, so how is your partner, Agent Moon?” Agent Woo raised his eyebrows nudging an elbow at her ribs.

 

“They could hear us you know.” She pointed at her earpiece and flicked a finger at his forehead causing him to whimper.

 

“And… we’re done! Agent Jung whispered in accomplishment while taking the USB out of the computer.

-

When the three agents made their way back to headquarters, directors and agents were relieved for completing the mission. Agent Woo was soaking in all the adulation even though he didn’t do anything but guard the door.

 

“Sera, can I talk to you?” Kyungri whispered tilting her head towards the door.

 

Once they were alone in the hallway Kyungri asked her a few questions.

 

“Was the hologram convincing?”

 

“Very.”

 

Kyungri nodded her head expressing a satisfying smile. After a moment of silence, she whipped out a paper from her back pocket.

 

“I need you to go to this event.” She said holding out a golden paper.

 

Sera quickly read the invitation, “It says it's tonight?”

 

“Yes, you need to dress up fancy. The Sniper Corporation is going to present their latest inventions.” Kyungri stated pausing for a moment. All you need to do is to wear this pin, it records everything when you press this button.” She demonstrated how to turn on and off the disguised gadget. “So will you do it for me?” Kyungri continued.

 

Sera nodded her head taking the invitation and the pin.

-

When Sera finally packed the last set of clothes into her suitcase, she felt a presence at her door. Out of instinct, she whipped her head quickly catching a sight of the figure.

 

“Sera, are you busy tonight?” Hyuna asked leaning against the doorway.

 

Hyuna.

 

“Yeah actually, sorry.” The younger girl scratched the side of her forehead.

 

“Alright.” Hyuna’s voice drained with disappointment. “See you tomorrow.”

 

-

When arriving to the address according to the invitation, she felt intimidated of how many people showed up for this event. The windows bounced magenta and golden colors from the lights making the event look more of a festival. Leaving her cab, she took a moment to breathe, unable to pinpoint how her night will be planned.

 

Sera’s feet began to ache when walking around in circles trying to find a convincing friendly face. Everybody seemed to know one another. As she attempted to make relations with other people, her attention grew to the other side of the room.

 

Across the hall there was a small crowd surrounding a woman. When she skirted over to catch a glimpse of the figure, the cheers grew louder. When the center of attention turned around to focus on the person staring at Sera, she froze.

 

Hyuna?

 

The older girl had her hair curled and parted on one side showing off her sparkling earring that matched her necklace. She wore a customized ribbed dress that exposed the sides of her torso and neckline. When Hyuna excused herself, she squeezed through the crowd walking over to her partner.

 

“Hello Sera.” Hyuna slightly bowed her head as a sly smile wiped across her face. “Why don’t you sit with me?” Before agreeing to Hyuna’s idea, she grabbed Sera’s hand leading her towards two empty seats at a table near the center of the hall.

 

Hyuna let go of the younger girl’s hand when taking her seat.

 

“Did Kyungri give you an invitation?” Sera asked while taking a seat and scooting herself closer to her partner.

 

The rookie stared into Hyuna’s eyes that reflected a series of golden and white colors from the chandelier lights. The smokey eye makeup and crystallized gems that attached her eye lids made her look more ravishing. She looks so heavenly. Sera wanted to look at her for the rest of the night, but she had a task at hand.

 

“She did actually.” Hyuna raised a brow.

 

Her orbs skimmed up and down from the bottom of Sera’s dress to her soft features of her face. Even though Hyuna already found her attractive, it didn’t let her stop thinking about how more beautiful she can be. Her straight raven hair contrasted her pale silky skin. The strapless dress she wore was screaming vibrant crimson earning a couple of glares from both men and women. The sterling silver necklace and bracelets she wore sparkled against the light making her gleam.

 

“I think this was a setup.” Sera said as her bracelets jingled when tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

 

“What makes you say that?” The older girl gave a subtle smile. She got inched closer to Sera, resting her chin against her fisted hand.

 

“For us to be together.” Sera paused. Would you want that to happen?” she tentatively asked.

 

“Maybe.” Hyuna pulled a flirtatious wink before setting her eyes on the announcer when he tested the microphone.

 

Given the agent’s blatant charm a faint blush glowed Sera’s cheeks. Looking at her once more she noticed that her dark brown eyes weren’t ordinary. Of course brown eyes are common, but ordinary doesn’t apply to Moon Hyuna. Every time Hyuna shifted her eyes to one corner to the next there was something twinkling inside of her. It wasn’t the fancy lights that scattered throughout the hall. It was her that made Sera breathless.

 

When the audience’s voices died down Sera adjust her dress making sure the pin’s microphone was on once the announcer started talking.

 

-

 

Suddenly when the chatter arose from the dead when the presentation ended, Hyuna whispered to Sera’s ear requesting her to come home with her.

 

Once they got inside the car, Sera asked a quick favor.

 

“Could you drive me back to headquarters?”

 

“Why do you need to go back? Didn’t you leave your dorm already?” Hyuna questioned sharply narrowing her eyes at Sera.

 

“Yes, but I need to give Kyungri back something important.” Sera mustered while fiddling with the pin on her chest.

 

“Can’t it wait?” The older agent’s eyes averted at the mention of her colleague’s name

 

“No, it can’t actually. If you don’t want to drive there I can just…”

 

“Okay, I will.”

 

“It’s nothing like that.” Sera shaked her head hoping Hyuna didn’t think of anything else.

 

Hyuna didn’t peep a word, but heaved a quiet sigh. Her hand tightly gripped the steering wheel before heading to headquarters.

 

-

 

Sera got into the building. She knocked on the door finding Kyungri dry eyes fixated on the computer.

 

It must be exhausting being a director.

 

“I recorded the whole presentation like you said.” Sera informed carefully placing the pin on her desk.

 

“Thank you Sera. Get home safely see you tomorrow.” Kyungri made a weak effort to smile.

 

-

“What are you doing Hyuna?” Sera asked stopping herself before exiting the turf of the pathway.

 

By now Sera thought Hyuna would leave knowing that she felt some sort of anger pinning her down.

 

“I’m waiting for you. I still want you to come over.” She pulled on the passenger door waiting for Sera.

 

-

Arriving at Hyuna’s spacious home, they were greeted by soft purrs of Hyuna’s cats. The partners made their way to the living room.


“I haven’t seen you all day.” Hyuna sighed slouching on her couch while her cat, Moya, crept upon her lap. "How were your temporary partners?" She asked gesturing Sera to take a seat next to her. 

"They're alright." Sera snickered reminder herself of the small moment Agent Woo asked about Hyuna. She took a seat almost invading Hyuna’s personal space. 

"Do you like them?" Hyuna propped her elbow on the perch of the couch. 

"Yeah, I guess." Sera continued before Hyuna's expression could make its way to a frown, "But that doesn't mean I'm replacing you." Sera's hand somehow laid on top of Hyuna stopping her trance between her cat. 

Hyuna giggled at Sera's action. She lifted her cat off of her dusting off the fur from her dress, but it didn't work. 

Sera continued to talk about her first mission expressing how anxious she felt walking into another territory. Hyuna understood her perspective. Nobody should feel at ease when encountering a mission. Till this day, the superior agent couldn't ease down her nerves, but purpose of her own desires erased the numbing feeling. Hyuna filled Sera on her past missions showing some kind of comfort knowing that she’s been through this hundreds of times. 

“Do you have anything I could borrow? This dress is actually killing me.” Sera broke the conversation about the missions. 

Hyuna nodded her head leading her into her bedroom.


-

 

Sera returned from changing into Hyuna’s oversize shirt and shorts. Her eyes laid on her partner’s before she fitted her top. She quickly averted her gaze at the alarm clock blinking the time. It was already one in the morning.

 

“I better get home. Could you possibly give me a ride?”

 

“I will.” Hyuna said turning around scanning at Sera’s outfit.

 

She looks nice wearing my clothes.

 

Sera watched Hyuna for a moment waiting for her to move away from the bed. She didn’t move at all.

 

“In the morning… Besides it’s really late.” Hyuna broke the silence crawling towards the center of her bed.

 

“So you planned to bring me here expecting to stay the night with you?” Sera raised her eyebrow studying Hyuna’s expression. She sat on the edge of the bed patiently waiting for a response.

 

“Kind of.” Hyuna played it off with a laugh.

 

“I like that idea.” Sera brought herself closer to Hyuna. Placing her hands on either sides of the mattress trapping her in a specific spot.

 

The move was intimate it sent shocks prickling through her veins. Sera’s face drawn a curved smile wrinkling her eyes. Her head dipped to the nape of Hyuna’s neck planting kisses to the edge of her jaw. Traveling her lips onto Hyuna’s face Sera softly slided against hers.

 

“Is this okay?” Sera said under her breath, breaking the kiss.

 

Hyuna hummed in satisfaction, smearing a grin.

 

One last time Sera leaned into Hyuna. Her lips lingered on Hyuna’s forehead, afraid to leave. Lifting herself off of her, she rested her head on Hyuna’s chest listening to her breathing.

 

Hyuna wrapped arms around the waist of the smaller figure tugging her partner closer holding her for the rest of the night.