Chapter 4

Jimin and Andréa

Andréa

                  This morning Andréa got on the bus 3 stops after the one she got on yesterday (the one she got off yesterday). She thought that maybe if she can’t walk the full distance to school, then she’d be able to get off at different stops to shorten the amount of time she had to spend on the bus.

                  To her surprise, the brunette boy was sitting stuck to the window of the bus, leaving enough room for her to sit comfortably. But that didn’t change the way she sat, arms, legs, hands and feet all tucked in, staring at her hands, just like yesterday.

                  Andréa’s first lesson of the day was English, which she noticed the brunette boy sitting two seats across from her. The teacher, Mr Han, insisted that she introduce herself to the class to test her English skills. To Mr Han’s and everyone else in the room’s surprise, her fluency was so perfect almost Mr Han couldn’t reply back to her. Then Mr Han suggested that every English lesson Andréa to be the one who reads, which she obviously tried to get out of. Which made Mr Han say, “Why can’t we have such a beautiful and fluent voice to listen to? The other students can learn from you.”

                  But that’s exactly what she didn’t want. She didn’t want attention to be drawn to her. Just from introducing herself, she was known as the English-speaking girl in the class. She thought that ‘English speaking girl’ attracted too much attention.

 

Jimin

                  She was staring out the window in English this morning, now she was staring out the window in math. Maybe she stared out the window in all her classes.

                  Just like Andréa staring out the window in class, Jimin stared at Andréa in class. There was something about her that made him pay so much attention to and he was trying to figure out what. Why was he so caught up with her? What was it?

                  Jimin’s thoughts were interrupted as Taehyung started talking to him about going out to dinner and the movies on the weekend with Lina and Jihye.

                  “Please??? Please come out with us?” he begged.

                  “Why is this so important to you?”

                  “Because I have the hots for Lina and Jihye has the hots for you. The only way Lina is coming out is if Jihye comes. Seriously, her dad won’t let her out anywhere unless Jihye is with her. And Jihye says that she isn’t coming if you’re not there.” Taehyung explained.

                  Everything Taehyung said went through one ear and out the other, “Yeah, whatever”, he couldn’t pay attention to his rambling when he was staring at Andréa.

                  Jimin was caught off guard when Andréa turned to his direction and looked away, only to realise that his friend was hugging him and trying to kiss him on the cheek as a way of saying thanks. He brushed Taehyung off as the bell went and stood up to go to lunch.

 

Andréa

                  Andréa noticed Jimin staring at her in English this morning and in math she actually caught him staring right at her. She wondered why he was staring at her. Was it because of the way he first spoke to her? Was he feeling sorry for swearing at her?

                  It was lunchtime and no one had spoken a word to her, it seems this school is full of stuck up and judgmental kids. Andréa had never encountered a school where she wasn’t able to talk to at least one person.

                  Andréa walked through the halls of the school, looking for an empty room. She noticed a small room, full of old instruments and a dusty audio system. As the door slowly clicked closed behind her, she perused the whole room. From what she gathered, it was an old studio with mirrors from ceiling to timber flooring that was turned into a music room, which seems to be a little out dated by the amount of dust.

                  Opposite the door were the mirrors and in the left back corner, a black grand piano. Speakers in every ceiling corner of the room and a small stand in the right corner, probably a dock or a port for the speakers. In the back right corner was a cupboard; half open, revealing different sizes of guitars and wind instruments. All gathering dust.

                  Andréa walked over to the stand and placed her phone down. She reached for the dock’s power button and she smiled a little when she saw the rest of the button lights come to life. She placed her phone in the port and pressed play. One of her favourite songs, Wild Things (by Alessia Cara). She walked to the middle of the room and looked at her reflection. In the dark, she was just a figure, standing still but when she started dancing, she was a butterfly flowing with the wind. Her body moving gracefully, every movement matching every beat.

                  This was one of the things He prevented her from doing. The one thing she loved she was prohibited from doing. His reasons were “If you make something of yourself dancing, becoming famous, you put yourself out there, in danger. They’ll find us. Find you, and who knows what they’ll do to you. You know what they’re capable of. Look at me, look at what they did to me.” But the only thing Andréa thought was “What if I make something of myself? I’ll be able to support myself; I won’t have to be looked over because of financial needs. I can be independent.”

                  He’d make Andréa realise sooner or later that we don’t always get what we want if we want to survive. It’s not that easy, especially when you aren’t just looking out for yourself, when you have more than one life dependent on you.