Chapter 1

Can't You Hear the Music?

"Choi In Hee,"

I took a deep breath as the teacher called out my name. Today in class we were being forced to perform on stage in front of the whole class. I knew this day was coming up but no matter how much I prepared, I was still dreading actually having to perform. I stood up slowly and made my way up to the stage. We were meant to be picking our stage names today while also performing a song that we thought would fit our concept the most. I closed my eyes and took another deep breath before introducing myself,

"My Name is Lunar and I will be performing...."

Before I could even finish, I was interrupted,

"Don't you think that name is too boring? There are so many idols already out there that have similar names like Solar and Luna. Why don't you try to pick something more unique? Something that best represents your personality? Meaningful names help capture a wider variety of audiences. Trust me, having the name Lunar will not get you very far in this industry, honey."

I stayed silent for a moment not knowing how to respond. I slowly nodded my head up and down and tried hard to think of a new name but nothing was coming to me. I bit my lip cautiously, but luckily before I was faced with even more embarrassment, the teacher spoke up,

"How about I give you a name? What about serenity? You seem like a very calm, peaceful and collective person. The name will suit you very well I think."

I thought about it for a brief moment before smiling widely and nodding my head joyfully. Serenity. I like it.

"My Name is Serenity and I will be performing 'I' Originally sung by Taeyeon."

*Performs Song*

There was a long pause before everybody started clapping and cheering. A few people in the back even gave me a standing ovation. I felt proud and for the first time in a while, happy. As I walked down back to my seat next to Jimin, who had already performed Eyes, Nose, and Lips by Taeyang, I was pulled into a friendly embrace.

"You did amazing up there! See, I told you, you had nothing to worry about. Everyone around me kept talking about how you were beyond fantastic up there."

A smile formed across my face.

"Up next Jeon Jeongguk"

My eyes slowly left Jimins face as I suddenly became curious about the next performer.

"My name is Jungkook I w..."

"Like I said to Serenity, your name needs major improvement. Try to find something that fits your personality more. Really try to find something that is unique to only you and no one else."

"Well, you see, my name is unique. I spell it differently: J-U-N-G-K-O-O-K and even then my fans can call me Kookie."

I saw the teacher debate his name for a while before continuing,

"Okay. Please proceed then, Kookie."

From where I was sitting, I could sort of make out Jungkook squinting his eyes,

"As I said before someone rudely interrupted me, my name is Jungkook and I will be singing Lost Stars by Adam Levine."

*Performs song*

After his unexpected heart filled performance, Jungkook made his way back to sitting with his group of friends. Right before he sat down, I don't know whether my eyes were playing tricks on me or not, but I could have sworn I saw him wink and smirk at me. I would be lying if I said that his actions didn't spark a rush of adrenaline to rush throughout my body. I quickly glanced away and waited for the next performance.

"Kim Taehyung, please go up on stage"

I watched as a slender, almost fragile, yet overly confident, looking male made his way up the stage,

"My Name is V and I will be performing Hug Me by Crush"

*Performs song*

Since V was the last one to perform, the teacher made her way on stage to present our final exam project.

"This final project will test your vocal, dance, and appearance aspects that you have gained and improved on over the last several months. However, since most of you here will more than likely debut under groups, the other teachers and I have decided that it would be in your best interest to learn how to cooperate with other people. While there is not enough students to form very large groups, we have decided it would be in your best interest to form pairs of two. You will have the opportunity to pick a partner of your choice. However, make sure you choose your partner wisely. Well, that is it for today. Class dismissed."

Once the teacher dismissed class, I watched V as he began walking towards me before taking a seat next to me. My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

"So while I was watching you perform, I realized that you have an amazing vocal range, but I also noticed that your appearance could use a little bit of a change, maybe you could start by adding me in it?"

"What are you talking about? Why would I want to change my appearance for your enjoyment?"

"You're going to be my partner and I'm going to fix you."

I glanced at him wearily before I heard a voice from behind me,

"Sorry to tell you V but she's already my partner"

As I wedged my head around I realized that the voice belonged to the one and only Jungkook.

JImin then questioned,

"I assumed I was your partner, Kookie?"

Jungkook didn't even bother to give a glance in Jimin's direction, instead Jungkook choose to stare directly into my eyes,

"Oh, yeah Jimin about that, you're out, Serenity is now my partner"

Jimin slumped back into his seat, a dumbfounded expression growing on his face as he tried to process Jungkook's words. I looked between both Jungkook and V before stating,

"Last time I checked, I never agreed to be either of your guys partners.''

And with that, I pulled jimin out of the auditorium.