Forth meeting,

Heol, it's you again.

Sunday mean nice and easy day. Why you asked? Because the café was not open on Sunday. So, Sunday was party time. By party, I meant hanging out with grandma in front of the TV whole day whole night. Grandma and I started the day with breakfast. You know how Koreans love to have their breakfast big? We do too!

When it came to food, grandma would never let me nor the tables down. There would definitely be more than 5 side dishes for every meal. We may not be the richest family in the neighbourhood, but we considered ourselves to be blessed with food. Because our breakfast was not made for two but for five people. Three more elderlies would join our breakfast session, bringing their own dishes, and we would all be sharing the food.

The most fun part about breakfast with these grandmas was the stories they share tell you. I enjoyed it most every time they were sharing and exchanging recipe with one another. I would try out the new recipe and let them have a taste to know what I should improve on.  Like today, after countless attempt on perfecting my soon du bu jiggae (soft tofu stew), I am finally ready to let them have a taste of it.

The recipe was given by Grandma Rang. So, I looked forward to hear her comment. I carefully brought the whole pot to the dining table and place it in the middle of table. There was a moment of silent and everyone anticipated as I took the lid off the pot and steamed of hot water rose up.

 

“Now it is the moment of truth,” I said as I passed around the bowl to each of them. Grandma Rang was the last person I gave the bowl to and I said “master, please have a taste of your descendant’s humble food,” as I handed her share of soon du bu jjiggae. She gave me the glare as she sipped the dish off the spoon. She indulged the taste and waited for few minutes before giving talking.

“Uhhmmm machiseyo... but I think it will be better if you add some dried kelp” she explained and continued “Ya Hera, do you have kelp we can add some to enhance the taste. When it comes to soon du bu jjiggae, you can add a lot of kelp because it gives a nice texture and alter the taste slightly,” I listened intently from the jjiggae master.

“No, I don’t have it,” grandma answered while sipping on the soup deliciously and the sight of it truly made me happy

“Chakamman, let me get it from my house,” Grandma Rang rose up from her seat and ready to leave the dining area

“Yah, just sit and eat. You already said its delicious. Next time you can buy hayi a packet of kelp or even better you plant it in the backyard. Ah jeongmal lets just eat I am starving,” Grandma Sa said

“Arasso yo, but good job hayi. But next time remember to put some kelp,” Grandma Rang approved with a thumb up

“Yay! Thank you Grandma Rang! Okay so who wants to share their recipe next?” I asked the aunties thinking perhaps I can try it tonight. We continued eating and sharing recipes for another 30 minutes.

 

Grandma Jisa, Grandma Mirang, Grandma Hera and Grandma Yoori, and together they were called SaRangHeYo which means I love You in Korean. They were my family, my pride.

 

They have known each other for almost 30 years while living in this neighbourhood. I guess what brought them together was their crazy interest in kdramas and kpop idols which half of them I didn’t even know. As much as I love all my grandmas, I would appreciate it if they would stop talking about these idols to me, because they would think that every person who was born on the same year know each other and some of these idols were born in the same year as I did. Which was not true, because it is, I would be friend with Joy, Sana, Momo but I wasn’t. It will be really cool if I did though.

After breakfast, I took the time washing the dishes in the kitchen while the grandmas were laying in front of the TV. I remember them telling me not to lie right after eating to avoid getting a fat belly, but there they were laying down straight away after eating. I shook my head as I was humming to Adele’s song. After washing, I proceeded with cutting some fruit and brought it to the living room.

As I was walking to the couch, all the grandmas’ eyes were fixated on the TV. I lay on the couch and trying to see what was on the TV but fail because my grandma’s head was in the way. From the sound of it, I knew that they were watching entertainment news and I rolled my eyes because this has never been something I was attracted to.

Oh well, I guess it’s time to check for some new recipes on my phone.  Let see, crème bulee…. scroll down…… chocolate fudge……. scroll down………cheese tart……… I was about to scroll down some more when I was interrupted by a familiar voice coming from the TV. I tried hard to listen the voice from the TV over my grandmas’ never-ending conversation…… a voice that could makes my heart flutter this way could only mean one person…. Hanbin.

Immediately, I shifted my body up in a sitting position and my guess was proven correct by the sight of him sitting on a chair being interviewed by a female host. The caption reads as follow

 

Live interview with the men of the year; BI

 

“The men of the year? I know BTS  won this award last year. Wow, this guy is super influential,” I blurted out by accident. I must say that I am amazed but entertainment is not my forte.

“Right? And he is only 18 Hayi ah,” told grandma Sa totally amazed by a very handsome young boy on the screen.

 

“Being a busy model and business man at such young age, you must have someone special who support you, right?” asked the host. I swore my heart stopped beating for a good two second after hearing the question

The camera zoomed in to show his charming face who then answered “Yes, my mum,”

The host chuckled (annoyingly chuckle may I add, and no I was not jealous) at the answer and challenged further “no, not family related. A girl, if there is any special girl in your life right now?

Okay I hated her one minute ago, but now I love her. Very good at hosting and asking question. Kudos to you girl.

 

Hanbin was seen deep in thought for a good thirty seconds before he answered “I recently found myself a special girl whom I would love to cherish for a long time” with a proud smile on his face.

“WHAT? He is already taken?” shouted my grandma, grandma He

“Aigoo, it is your lost Hayi ah~~~” continued grandma Rang

“If I was your age, I would definitely go after this BI boy, yummmmy,” blurted grandma Yo which caused everyone to burst out laughing.

“Ha, yeah right, as if I would date him even if he asks me to. Never in million years,” I defended myself feeling my heart twitches in a wrong way.

“Be careful what you wish for, girl,” teased grandma Sa and ruffled my tied hair causing it to fall messy.

 

The interview finished off with Hanbin saying “Anniyong yorobun, this is BI and I look forward to meeting you all soon.”

 

‘Pffft, yeah right? The only one you should look forward meeting is your girlfriend,’ I muttered silently.

*******************************************

Unlike the past week where I woke up to find myself overslept and ended up taking 5 minutes shower so I didn’t miss the train due to the rainy season, this morning I managed to wake up early and tidy up my room before I leave the house for my morning shift.  I had to be mentally prepared for today because working in a morning Monday shift means you must be strong. Because Monday had been considered as the busiest time. It almost like the customer waited one full day without tasting our food, and so when Monday came, they all went crazy, crazy I tell you. The queue like would be incredibly long on Monday morning hence why I had to be prepared. “All smiles Hayi,” I told myself as I was looking at the mirror clearly happy with my breaded hair. I took my black sling bag with Krunk keychain and made my way out of the house.

 

Upon reaching the café, I greeted the morning shift staff who had arrived before me. We hugged each other like we normally would and asked how our weekend had been.

My morning shift today would be with the noisy Jenny and Jisoo. Both these girls love make up and they always dragged me to join them so having them here, right now, means I will have myself dolled up. As Jisoo was putting matte lipstick on me, she told the story on how her Sunday was spent.

She finally had the time to take her boyfriend out to the theme park. She always mentioned about how little time she spent with her boyfriend who has started a new job recently.

“So, we were having snacks by the ferris wheel, and then all of a sudden, he stupidly dropped his food on the floor. And what was more embarrassing it that he bent down and picked all the food. Like okay maybe he should ask one of the cleaner to help out right because the foods are all dirty. Okay so as he was picking up the last piece on the floor, he suddenly faced towards me, with knee bent on one side, and gave me the last piece of the snack,” Jisoo beamed looking ecstatic to continue the story “only it wasn’t dirty snack but a ring and he propose to me on the spot!” she finished her sentence and showed the ring she had been wearing on her left ring finger.

 

“Oh my god!!! How did we not see that this morning!!!” Jennie and I shouted and stood up immediately to hug Jisoo. “I am so so soooo happy for you……but” Jennie started off while squeezing Jisoo’s arm and I continued “……But why you didn’t tell us straight away?” while pretended to feel betrayed.

“Well, sorry girls, but I was too busy spending my night with me doing….” Jisoo started to clarify only to have covered by Jennie and I

“Euwww girl, leave the details out” I spoke half laughing. “But yes, we are so so so sooooo happy for you” and we hugged one more time.

“and what about you Jennie ya?” Jisoo suddenly asked.

“He is in the army stupid so of course I don’t have anyone to do IT with,” she replied emphasising on the word IT and we all laughed one more time.

I feel so proud to call these two-crazy people as my friends. They have been blessed with good looks but that has never made them selfish instead they had been my biggest support ever since I’ve started working here three year ago. Well, my biggest support beside Chaerin Unni and Chanhyuk and everyone else. Like I told you before, we are all family. Jenny is the same and as me but Jisoo was slightly older than I am. But we click so well and I could call them by their names instead of using honorifics.

Another thing I love about them was the fact that they treasure relationships. Let it be with family, friends or their boyfriend. They would always remind me to stay humble and open minded especially towards the customer because we didn’t know what they had been through. But you know, I am not Jennie nor Jisoo, and often get sarcastic with the customer, so yes I have a lot to learn from them.

There was one time a long time ago, Jenny had set me up with a guy because I was telling them that I never had a boyfriend before. They were clearly so shocked about it because they had never had a problem with getting into relationship. Thus, I was glad to learn that Jisoo is finally settling down.

Oh yes, the blind date Jennie set me up with was with her best friend and his name was Mino, Song Mino. At first glance, I could tell that he has a lot of girlfriend because the boy had a look and he was tall. So I thought that I would have a good time. What I thought would be the best night of my life turn out to be sour when the guy confessed that he actually liked Jennie but couldn’t tell her that.

So instead of having a fun time together, we spent the whole date counselling one another on life and relationship. Mainly relationship where I pretend to have all the knowledge in the world regarding relationship even when I had zero experienced in that area. After that day, we ended up being a good friend but now he is in the army and have another week left to go. And guess what, it is the same guy Jennie talk about earlier. Basically, a month after our ‘blind date’, Jennie and Mino started dating after he confessed his true feeling to her. Which is super great and he seemed like a nice guy, no he is nice and I am happy for both of them.

 

Okay back to present time, here I am all alone and single. Not that it is a problem because I am having the best time eating this sandwich which still made me wonder about the recipe. It was around 11am at the time so there were less customers as compared to this morning. I was just sitting and having my one-hour break while browsing through my phone looking at university options. While searching for culinary courses with the cheapest fee, I heard the chimes on the entrance. I didn’t turn to look because it was my break time so no serving customer at that time. That was when I felt a presence coming from behind. The presence caused me to startle when my body was wrapped with a pair of long lean arms.

 

Omona," I blurted out and my body stiffen as a strong manly fragrance plunged into my nose.

"Hey beautiful," greeted the presence and I straight away knew who it was.

"Get off me, your girlfriend won’t be happy if she sees this," I said angrily and turn around which made Hanbin expression turned from shock into a smile.

He cheekily said "ha, so you have been stalking me huh?"

I snorted and replied "as if, it was on telly yesterday. Now if you will excuse me, I have a job to do unlike someone" and walked away taking half eaten sandwich on one hand and my phone on the other.

"Arasso and thank you for the tea" he beamed. I looked back to find him smiling while sipping on my tea.

Hanbin, or should I call ‘The Man of The Year’ was here for the whole lunch hour hogging the same seat, that cornered seat. Thankfully, he wasn’t sitting at my section hence I was able to ignore his presence. As hard and best as I could to ignore his strong presence.

 

Not that I was paying attention to him, but from the corner of my eyes, I could see him asking Jennie something. And after Jennie answered, he moved to my side of the table taking his food and drink along.

What is this man up to now?’ I thought in my head while busily handling another customer as he was feeling angry due to the salty pasta.

To avoid any further conflict, I apologized but couldn't stop from spurting sarcasm that was already in my family’s blood "but it was yourself who put more salt into your plate"

“Do you want to die?" yelled the angry customer giving me a deadly stare and startled everyone in the café at the same time.

“No, do you?” I replied matching his tone of voice.

At the same time, Hanbin rose up from his seat and I was ready to have my knight in shining armor to back me up. Instead, he was apologizing to the customer instead of fighting the angry man and said "I will pay for it, you may order another one"

"Why are you the one paying for it?” I asked angrily and he replied by dragging me into the back of the kitchen with him.

 

 "It is my cafe so I have to take care of it. And as for you young lady, please be a lot nicer to your customer and never ever ignore them,” expressed Hanbin as he walked away to the front again.

‘Why the hell is he being angry for? He should be angry at the customer and not me….’ I murmured silently.

 

“Uhhhhhhh, love is in the air,” I heard Jisoo saying.

 

Damn it, I forgot that she was the one working in the kitchen today. Now, Jennie will also know about it.

Wait, he is the owner of the café? Heol~!

 

Deep down Hanbin was also surprise how the same petite girl who flustered his heart in the hospital was the same girl working in his cafe.

'Heol~ Is this fate?' he smiled and sip on the mug.