First meeting

Heol, it's you again.

'I love my job. I love my job. I love my job,' those were the comfort words I told myself whenever I have a morning shift. It was bad enough that I had to take the almost an hour train every morning, but to come to work and faced an angry customer because I had brought out a 'wrong order' is another case.

"Waitress!" called out a furious 30-something year old male while waving his arm trying to gain my attention. Can't he not see how busy I was handling this tray of empty cups?

"Yes, sir. Is everything okay?" I asked while showing my brightest smile but only god knows how I felt inside.

"Everything is NOT okay," he answered and pointed towards his set of Breakfast A consisted of Tuna croissant, black tea and salad on the side.

"May I know what I can do for you?" I asked still manage to keep the smile on. To me the set looks complete with no flaws.

"This. This salad. I didn't ask for this salad. I only want avocado and cucumber in my salad" he responded while pointing out to his amaze-ball looking salad which we had bought fresh this morning in the market. Yes, we buy our ingredient fresh before we open the cafe at 10.30 am every morning.

"um well, if its only avocado and cucumber it isn't called sa......." I tried to reason with him but stopped when he gave me the glare. Oh, you know the glare. The I am the customer, I am always right glare. Instead, I plastered a fake smile and answered him as nice as I could "we dont have avocado sir, our salad is best served as it was plated here," and pointed back towards his untouched plate

He made a blank face and started eating his salad and made an approval sound. "Okay you may go." he said while having a mouthful of salad which had no cucumber nor avocado..... 'What on earth, is this man trying to get free meal or something?' I thought in my head silently..... 

"Waitress!!" I could hear the same voice calling while I was pouring sugar into the orange juice. I looked up to the corner of the cafe and found the only-avocado-and-cucumber customer staring at me. 

I moved towards his table and force a smile "Yes, what is wrong this time?"

"Why is my coffee very sweet? Are you guys trying to kill me?" he angered spitting out his half-drank coffee. 

Does this guy has amnesia or just bored? Does he has no work that he starts a pointless fight with innocent waitress? Or does he wants a beating from this tray I am holding in my hand?

Feeling my smile slightly twitching, I answered "Actually, you were the one who puts the sugar in" and pointed at the packets of sugar arranged nicely in the middle of the table.

"Oh right. And one more thing....." he continued speaking not apologising nor feeling guilty.  

"Well, sir. Excuse me but if you dont like our cafe you may go someplace else." I conveyed my honest opinion as I could no longer hide my boiling point.

"What did you say?" the customer raised his voice causing almost half of the room to face us. I was about to shout back but stopped when I felt a hand grabbing my arm from the back causing me to walk further from the troublesome customer.

"Okay, let me help you with that. Hayi, manager nim calls you in her office," said Chanhyuk, the other working waitress aka my bestfriend. 

With deep breath, I left the scene and head to the manager's office which was located next to the kitchen. I knocked on the door and twisted the door knob.

"Unni, did you see how rude that customer was?" I began talking when I entered Chaerin Unni's office aka our awesome manager. 

I stopped track upon seeing the concern look which doesnt suit her charismatic look. 

"Hayi ah," she moved forward and placed an arm on my shoulder.

"Waegurae? Why is the mood so down? Are you firing me? That customer he started...." I half yelled as I was too shocked of the upcoming news. 

"Anni are you crazy, why would I do that? I received a phone call. Your grandma is in the hospital. You should take a day off and go to the hospital now" unni said with concern voice. 

Immidiately I took of my apron and rushed towards the door grabbing my black sling bag along the way and head to the hospital. 

 

"Excuse me, I am looking for my grandmother," I asked the female nurse who was busy entering some information on the computer. She looked up smiling at me. 

"May I know her name dear," asked the concern nurse whose called Sandara as it appeared on her nametag.

Trying to fight back my tears, I answered with my red eyes "Lee Yuna"

"She is in the Emergency Room. The doctor is with her right now. I think you should take a seat first," Sandara explained and showed me the waiting area.

"Okay thank you," I replied and smiled back.

 

When we reached the waiting area, the seats were almost full and I even notice few people sleeping while waiting. I scanned around the room to find empty seats and spotted two unoccupied seat at the back of the room. I sat down trying to calm myself and took deep breathe. The waiting room was full with noises. From crying babies, people talking, sound of shoes walking and creaking chair. But my mind couldn't stop thinking about grandma.

I didnt know how long I had waited in the cold waiting room but I felt really comfortable in the chair and my eyelids were heavy. I had a night shift yesterday and didnt manage to get my usual 6 hours sleep. I was about to close my eyes for brief 5 minutes when I felt the present of someone wearing brown pants and blue shirt taking the empty seat next to mine. I couldn't see the face as I was too weary to look up.  At this point my head started to moved side by side involuntarily and all I could imagined was the sight of my blue cloud pillow in my bedroom and started to doze off peacefully. 

In my dream, grandma was holding my favourite lollipop and I ran towards her side. She pat me on the head and tell how beautiful I am. Grandma, you cant die. I am only 18. How can I survive without you? In my sleep and I could smell the lollipop. I sniff one more time to that nice smell of vanilla. And this lolipop is so snuggly. I could sleep all day on this lollipop.

"Miss Hayi, wake up. The doctor is calling you," called out a manly voice. 

"No, I want to eat my lolipop first," I answered back hushing the manly voice.

"But the doctor is waiting for you," the voice responded and i realised how close the voice sounded to my ear.

My eyes jerked open instantaneously as I felt a finger tapping soflty on my thigh. As I opened my eyes, I saw the Sandara standing sideway in front of. Wait, am I still on earth? Why does everything look sideways to me? I blinked and saw the nurse smiling amusely. 

That was when I realized that my head was titled to my right and I was leaning on someone's shoulder the whole time. 

I looked down couldn't face the person next to mine and felt my face flushed red. 'DID I JUST FELL ASLEEP ON A STRANGERS SHOULDER!' I mentally screamed in my head.

Still facing down, I could only see the brown pants and blue shirt once again and bow down apologising couple of time before running away from the waiting room.

'Run Hayi Run. That was so embarassing.' I muttered silently in my head as I followed Sandara taking me to grandma's ward which was located at the end of the long room. 

Once we reached the ward door, I ran inside towards grandma and hugged her tightly and sobbed hard. 

"Grandma, what happened to you? Why didnt you call me?" I wiped my tears and faced my smiling grandma whom I adore so much.

"I couldn't. I was out in the market and had a terrible tummy ache." she explained while smiling showing her wrinkled eyes.

"What tummy ache?" I questioned back a bit confused. I thought something major had happened to her.

"Yes, it must be the porridge we had yesterday. Did you have ache in your tummy, dear?" now it was grandma's turn to question me. 

I stopped thinking and remembered the amount of time I spent in the toilet trying to let 'stuff' out and continued "no i didnt. But what took you so long?"

"I had to poop of course, aish kahja lets go home" grandma revealed and took the plastic bag full with fruits next to her bed and put on her slipper.

"But why did you have to enter the ER?" I asked still not feeling convinced. 

"Because i am an elderly i guess," she explained already standing up ready to leave the place.

"Oh okay. I thought you were dyin....." I confessed only to receive a smack on the arm "ouch grandma," I cried and kissed my adorable grandma on the cheek. 

 

Sandara saw us walking towards the main entrance and stopped us halfway. "You can use the back door. It is so much closer if you are looking for taxi," she explained and showed us the back door.

"Kamsahamnida Sandara. Hope to see you soon," I waved excitedly to her as we stepped outside the hospital.

"Aish you want to come here again?" grandma asked amusedly

"hehee it is a habit," I replied showing my broad smile.

 

Before the taxi arrives, I had to make sure that I have enough money in my bag first because you know, taxis could be pretty expensive hence why I took the train to work eventhough it took an hour. Grabbing the bag on my side, I rummaged inside my bag to find my wallet. Only, there was no wallet, or bag. Where is my bag?

I told grandma that I had to look for my bag and head back to the waiting room and scanned inside the room. There were less people as it was lunch hour and the bag wasn't at the seat I was earlier. I could feel my heart racing and started thinking of what I should do. Everything important is inside the bag. My wallet, my identification card, my keys. Oh gosh, what if someone use the key and enter our house tonight. No, no, I have to find my bag. 

I compose my almost burst crying self and with heavy shoulder, I stride towards the main entrance I used to come in here and tried really hard to trace back my journey from the moment I entered this hospital. 

That was when I spotted the brown pants with blue shirt person. Maybe the person had seen my bag somewhere. Only this time it wasnt only brown pants and blue shirt, but also the person was also holding a black sling bag similar to mine. Wait sling bag was mine because I could see the blue Krunk keychain on the zipper.

With eyes fixated on my bag, I walked towards the brown pants and blue shirt and stopped in front of the person. That was when I felt little standing againts this tall person. As I looked up, I could feel my heart beating faster than it normally does as I felt myself drowning into the most gorgoues pair of eyes that was staring back at me.

It felt like a minute passed by that I'd left my mouth opened and said shyly "I think thats mine" and pointed towards the bag.

"I think this is yours as well," he then pointed towards his blue shirt which seems to have a pool of water on the left shoulder. 

I squinted my eyes trying to grasp what was going on then I remembered....

I gawked my eyes. HEOL, DID I DROOL ON THIS HANDSOME MAN?!!!!!

 

❤  Comment ❤  Subscribe ❤  Upvote ❤