The Inheritors: Episode Two

The Inheritors

The Inheritors: Episode Two

Ken drives up next to Yuri, and time seems to move slowly for just a brief moment. Ken asks Yuri, Do you want to go to my house?”

Yuri asks, unsure, “Are you safer than here?”

Ken replies, “I don’t know if I am safer, but my house is better than here.” I’m glad you know.

Yuri enters Ken’s house and as the lights come out, opens even wider. She looks around the large, clean, white space as Ken grabs a drink.  Yuri realizes that no one else in this house, and she asks, “What about your family? Do you live alone here?” Ken: ” Yeah, I live alone.”

Yuri’s eyes widen. “What are you? Are you a drug dealer?” “Are you in the mafia?”

Ken snorts. “Are you at least sure I am a drug dealer?” Yuri replies that things are lining up.

Ken nod and gets up. “But why do you think I am only a drug dealer.” He walks closer and closer to her, cornering her. Looking her up and down, “Do you still have two kidneys?”

Yuri looks scared, but Ken has only backed her up to the door of her room. “Call me if you need anything.” 

Yuri sits on the bed and massages her tired body. She remembers back to earlier in the day with her sister. But despite the downs of life, our bodies want us to keep living, and Yuri’s stomach grumbles. Last time she ate was in the airplane. Yuri cautiously opens her door room and peers into the hallway.

Ken hears footsteps from his study room above the living room. He sees Yuri creeping around in the house in the dark.

Yuri opens the refrigerator. She only sees food labeled in English and canned products. It’s not to her taste, but can the hungry be choosy?

Yuri is eating in the dark of the kitchen, when Ken turns on the lights. Ken asks, “What are you doing in the dark?” Yuri doesn’t look at him. He’s caught her in another embarrassing moment. “I’m sorry I ate without permission. Since I only ate expired things, just charge me this amount.” She pushes the five dollar bill on the counter.

Ken checks the cans’ expiration date and wonders who she can eat this stuff. Yuri is about to leave, when Ken calls her back. She thinks he is about to get angry at her for eating the food, but what he asks is , “Aren’t you going to clean this?”

Ken stares at Yuri as she cleans up. He asks her for her name. What do people call her?

Yuri is reluctant to reveal her name. She replies instead, “I didn’t get to say this before, but thank you for letting me sleep here.

Ken snarks, “That’s a long name.”

Yuri still doesn’t want to tell him his name, and he decides not to push it. He tells her she doesn’t have to be thankful since he is just paying her back for the lost powder. She was planning on giving it to her sister.

Min-hyuk's Dad and Ian walk down the Jeguk office hallway. Min-hyuk's Dad has bought the ticket for Ian to go to the U.S. and reserved a hotel. As soon as he did, however, Zeus Hotel called wanting ian to stay at their hotel. Ian notes that Zeus Hotel is acting like a stockholder of Jeguk already since it is marrying with RS International. At this, Min-hyuk's Dad stops in his tracks.  Min-hyuk's Dad snaps out of it and tells Ian he has refused Zeus’ offer.

Min-hyuk's Dad tries to hand Ian a guest list of the family party that Ian is to attend in the U.S. Everyone is coming with family. He notices Ian give him a hard look, and adds that he has also sent him the list through email. ian wonders why, then, Min-hyuk's Dad bother printing it out. Min-hyuk's Dad explains it is a habit left over from serving the CEO. He’s also given this list to the CEO.

Ian fumes. Did Min-hyuk's Dad not think that Ian wouldn’t do it himself?

Ian:“I was curious from the beginning. Who do you work with now, Secretary Yoon? Do you work with me or the CEO?”

Min-hyuk's Dad replies, “Always for Jeguk group…”

Ian cuts him off. “I see.”

Min-hyuk's Dad comments that Ian is acting like boyfriend angry at his two-timing girlfriend. Ian says Min-hyuk's Dad has got it wrong. He’s advising to Min-hyuk's Dad, who he finds too ‘pure,’ that he should two-time. Or he is in danger of getting fired when the CEO retires.

Min-hyuk's Dad is not fazed and this pisses Ian off even more. “Father taught you wrong.”

Ian walks away, and Min-hyuk's Dad says the typical, polite greeting. It sounds sincere, like Min-hyuk's Dad is really on Ian’s side.

Ken’s father, the CEO of Jeguk has suffered a health crisis recently, and that is why he is in his wheelchair. Despite his physical feebleness, this man is still cold, calculating, and always speaks with a faked sincerity that makes your skin crawl.

His current and second wife, Ji Sook, is just as cruel, but more human in her bitterness against her husband who cheated on her. She can’t have children. She is the one that brought Ken’s birth mother inside the house, wanting to make sure that Madam Han is always in her reach and control. She’s also never going to grant her husband a divorce. She knows her worth, and she is not going to give her husband the satisfaction.

Madam Han is outside trying to eavesdrop on the two’s calm but bitter conversation, when Ian finds her standing there. She doesn’t seem to be that embarrassed, telling him that they are only talking badly about her, not about him. She announces Ian, and tells him that his mother is inside.

Ian says, “I have no mom in this house.”

Madam Han: “Right, the ahjumma who raised you.”

Ian enters the freezing cold room. His Mom Ji Sook waits a beat before saying hi to his son Ian. Ian then acknowledges her. Ian's  2nd Mom Ji Sook notes, “You never say hi first. I raised you ten years before you left for America. I didn’t take raise you with affection but I did raise you diligently. Don’t make me an any ol’ stepmom.

Ian’s sarcasm gun is always locked and loaded. “I’m sorry for growing up like this even after you raised me with care for ten years.”

Ken & Ian Dad  Nam Yoon stops this fight before it escalates, and  Ken & Ian's 2nd Mom leaves.

CEO Kim tells Ian to bring Ken to this meeting that Ian is going to in the U.S. since the Americans think highly of family business.

Ian: “I will take care of it. It’s my business.”

CEO Kim interrupts Ian, “I’m taking care of it. And I mean that it is not your company yet.”

Outside, Madam Han and Ken & Ian's Mom are having the same ol’ fight they’ve probably been having for years. Madam Han wants to know why Victoria’s family wants to meet with Ken & Ian's 2nd Mom. She wants to at least be informed as Ken’s birth mother. Ken & Ian's 2nd Mom reminds her that she is actually listed as Ken’s mother, and even though Madam Han is being called “little ma’am,” all she is is her husband’s live-in girlfriend.

Ken & Ian's 2nd Mom leaves after cutting up Madam Han’s heart with those words. Madam Han, upset, tries to call her son- the reason for all this suffering. Her only hope.

Ken’s voiceover: “Another woman’s bag. Another woman’s house. Another woman’s man. An unhappy person because she always wanted what someone else had. That person is…”

Ken looks at his missed calls. They are from his mom.

Yuri is in her room talking to her mom on the phone. She is trying hard not to cry, lying to her mom the same way Victoria was, that sis has gotten taller and tanned, and Sooyoung is living in nice house with a yard. Yuri tells her mom not to worry.

Ken overhears this conversation behind the opened door. He holds half a sandwich in his hand.

When Yuri hangs up, Ken opens the door. Yuri jumps up. “Don’t you knock?” Ken knocks. Ken hand her the sandwich and chips and jokes that the food is good for the kidneys. Yuri finds this joke a little too scary and tells him to stop.

Ken notes that Yuri is a good liar, and Yuri realizes that he heard her phone call. Ken notices the dollar bill on the table, and Yuri tells him its for the phone call. Ken comments that she spends her money recklessly, and Yuri, pouting, hands him a dreamcatcher.

It’s for the room rent. Yuri was going to decorate her own room in the U.S. but she will give it to him now. Ken asks what it is, and Yuri explains that it is a dreamcatcher that chases away bad dreams and allows only good dreams through the circle.

Ken jokes, “How about pretty ladies?”

Yuri is about to take it way from him, but Ken likes it. He tells her to rest and finish the food. 

Ken leaves, and Yuri is suspicious. Did he put something in the sandwich??

In the living room, Ken picks up the plate with the other half of the sandwich for him. He hangs the dreamcatcher on the door on his way outside. He can see Yuri in her room from outside, and he sees her barricading her door with chairs. This offends Ken, until he sees her start to undress. He scurries away, brushing past the dreamcatcher on his way inside. Me thinks he’s caught a pretty lady with that dreamcatcher already. Plus, it’s hanging on a sign that says Surfer Boy.

It’s a new morning. Yuri wakes up and steps out. Ken’s house has a wonderful ocean view, the sky is crystal clear, and the sunlight twinkles through the air.

Yuri goes outside and takes in the view. Ken steps outside and takes in his view.

Ken has felt something, and he doesn’t know what to do with it so he doesn’t say good morning to Yuri as he comes down the stairs. Yuri speaks first, and the two joke around about him being a student and going to school. He makes her laugh, and Ken notices. “You’re laughing again. It means you normally laugh a lot.”

Yuri want to leave when Ken leaves to go to school to find her sister. Ken doesn’t want her to leave, and tells her that her sister’s diner isn’t open yet. She can stay here until he comes back or go to school with her, since she was curious.

Inside Ken’s car, he offers Yuri sunglass. He tells her its not fashion here but a necessity. Yeah, I haven’t really worn my Cali glasses since arriving here in Korea. Yuri takes the glasses and says to Ken:  Ken: I’m going to stretch my hand outside the window. If you are embarrassed, let me know. Ken doesn’t stop her, but says, “Just one minute.” He smiles along with Yuri.

Ken in class listening to the lecture. Yuri is sitting outside waiting. She’s looking around at the other students.

Ken steps outside expecting to see Yuri, but she is not at the bench. Ken looks for her, worried. He finds her watching Korean Americans with a bit of sadness in her face. Ken runs up to her and asks, “What you are looking at?” Yuri: “Kids who were born with good parents.” She sounds a bit wistful as she talks about the parties these international students might have, but Ken reassures her that they are not fun. Sweet.

Yuri is determined to go back to her sister and get the money. She thinks she can find her way herself, but Ken, worried and not wanting to see Yuri goes, says he will take here there. Besides, he can skip class that way. It’s math class, which he hates, but Yuri like math. He calls her crazy.

At the diner, Yuri and Ken find out that Stella has quit the diner too. She has really run off with the money. Sooyoung’s boyfriend shows up, and it seems she’s stolen money from him too. The boyfriend gets aggressive so Ken holds back his arm. The boyfriend’s friends show up, and trying to help Kris, start to run toward them. Ken starts to say, “At the count of three…,” but Yuri grabs his arm ands starts to run.

Ken’s phone rings, and it’s Victoria. His face darkens. Yuri sees Kris’ friends getting closer so she tries to grab Ken’s hand, which he flings away. Yuri feels embarrassed, and Ken, trying to make amends says that he is getting a call for an order of drugs. Organic drugs. He grabs her arm. “Let’s go. I think we need to run for real now.”

Victoria is not getting through to Ken. She stares at her phone wanting it to ring and it does. But it’s from mom, not Ken. Victoria keeps lying to her mom about Ken, and we learn from this phone call that Ken and Tae-joon used to be best friends.

Tae-joon drives up to his dad’s hotel, and tries to smooth his helmet head.

He is doing the is dishes in the kitchen. He is forced to do this every summer as training. The manager comes to lecture Tae-joon, but Tae-joon threatens the manager saying that when he becomes boss in 10 years, the manager is going to need the experience he is accumulating for his new job.

Ken is wondering why they are running so hard and far. Kris’ friends can barely keep up. Ken meant for her to come behind him at the count of three because he was going to let Kris go.

Kris’ friends are still panting their ways towards them, and Ken yells back in Korean.Yuri wonders if the friends will understand, but Ken explains that he is speaking in Korea for her, so that she isn’t afraid. 

Lee Yoon-sung is having lunch with his family, which is made up of the Public Prosecutor General and other lawyers. Yoon-sung can only drink water at this meal, with is family talking about his grades, his school, and their expectation for him to become someone great.

Tae-joon comes in to greet this prestigious family and serve them water. Here we learn that Lee Yoon-sung is one year older than Tae-joon, being his sunbae at Jeguk High.

Tae-joon, being the smart- that he is, fills Yoon-sung’s cup to the brim. “It seems you are very thirsty.”

Tae-joon lives in the hotel. Yoon-sung in knocks on his door and asks to use the bathroom. Yoon-sung pukes into the toilet.

Tae-joon asks, not really concerned because he knows why Yoon-sung was puking, “Was the food okay?” I can imagine. I would want to puke too after sitting with that family and all that pressure. Yoon-sung thanks Tae-joon for letting him use his bathroom. “I don’t want to get caught by dad.” Tae-joon smirks, “But I’m okay?:” Yoon-sung smiles in returns, “I know some things about you too.”

Tae-joon laughs. “You’re voice is really nice when you threaten.” Yoon-sung, “It sounds even better when I’m cursing. Do you want to hear?”

Yuri brings over the coffee. She overreacts to how it great it taste, which Ken makes fun off. But Yuri just wants to appreciate an Americano in America. She doesn’t want only bad memories.

Ken looks at her. “Ya! Are you sure you only have bad memories?” Yuri gives a small smile. “If I think more about it…” Ken looks at her expectantly.

But Yuri doesn’t think over what Ken wants her to thin over. She changes subject and asks how long he’s been here. Ken pouts at this. Aw, he cares so much already.

Yuri realizes that she can borrow Ken’s phone to log in to her SNS account and message Min-hyuk. Ken gets all jealous as he hears that it is boy…friend, and someone Yuri respects.

Inside the taxi, Yuri wants to know if a reply has been posted yet. Ken is still pouty and want to know if she’s dating this guy or dated him when he finds out she and that guy have known each other for half their lives.

They’ve arrived back at the house, and Ken gives the house keys to Yuri. He is going back to get the car at the beach.

Inside the taxi, Ken checks for a reply to Yuri’s message. Through this inadvertent snooping, he learns that her name is Cha Yuri. He reads through her statuses and learns that Yuri likes scary movies like Freddy and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Ken also sees she has a lot of part-time jobs. He also reads messages between Min-hyuk and Yuri, and with Min-hyuk being so sweet, Ken concludes, “They can’t just be friends.” Ken sees one final text that immediately hardens his face. “I don’t like my mom having a hard time. I hope Jeguk group goes under.”

Ken gets Yuri’s passport back.

 Soo-jung, Tae-joon, and Sung-jae. We learn Sung-jae is part of law firm family, but he is not that smart. These three like to tease each other and are good friends. And Sung-jae seems to like Soo-jung too.

Because of Soo-jung’s nagging, Min-hyuk finally checks his SNS account and the message that Yuri left him. He looks worried and immediately calls Yuri’s phone. But of course she left in Korea.

Inside Ken’s house, Yuri is lugging her suitcase so she can leave, but, Victoria is here with groceries. Yuri asks who she is in formal speech but Victoria immediately talks down to yuri. “That is my questions. Who are you?” Yuri and Victoria both recognize each other from the airport.

Victoria reveals she is the fiance of the landlord here. They got engaged when they were 17 last year.

Yuri explains that she had a situation and slept over one night here. That is not what Victoria wanted to here. She notices the key in Yuri’s hand and shushes Yuri who is trying to explain that nothing strange happened. Wow, she shushed Yuri. 

Yuri tries to leave, but Victoria pushes her suitcase down the stairs causing the case to crack a bit. Victoria tells her it is mistake, like Yuri running into her here in this house.

Yuri tries to contain her anger, saying it’s in consideration of the landlord. Victoria stops her. How can she trust her to not have stolen anything from this house. She wants Yuri to open her suticase. Now I want to pull Victoria’s hair out.

Yuri says fine, finally dropping the jondaemal. She asks what will happen if there is nothing in it. Victoria says, “There is no chance of that.” Omg, evil incarnate.

Victoria dumps the contents of the suitcase and walks over it her shoes, calling it trash and telling Yuri to get out before Ken gets back.

Yuri packs up and goes, holding back her tears. She sits at the harbor, watching the happy families. I think she misses her mom and sister too.

Back at the rich kids’ hangout, Soo-jung is upset that Min-hyuk hasn’t gotten back to her. Tae-joon and Sung-jae joke around like teenager would do. Sung-jae also mention Ken’s name, saying Victoria went to Ken, and the name immediately makes the smile on Tae-joon’s face disappear. The name is not welcomed by Soo-jung either.

Yuri tries to buy a ticket home when she remembers she doesn’t have her passport.

Ken is interrogating Victoria about Yuri. “She left? With all her stuff?” Victoria is upset that Ken asked about Yuri first, not her. He offhandedly says, “You’ve gotten prettier,” and immediately starts asking about Yuri again. “Did you chase her out?”

Victoria: “I get to as your fiance.”

Ken: “You told her we are engaged?”

Victoria: “You should have told her about this first.”

Ken: “Then you should have just let her stay so I could introduce you.” He walks away, frustrated.

They continue to fight, Victoria upset that Ken doesn’t care, and Ken making not effort to seem like he cares. He says to her, “I got engaged to you so I don’t have to marry you later.”

Yuri is back to get the business card of the cop. She didn’t expect to see Ken at the door, so she tries to leave, but Ken stops her.

Victoria tells Yuri that she threw out the card while she was cleaning. Yuri starts to go the trash where the card is and runs off before Ken can tell her he has the passport already. He turns to Victoria. “You threw it out?” Victoria confesses she didn’t even see it.

Ken sighs. “I know this is an annoying situation for you, but that girl had her passport taken away because of me.”

Victoria: “How is that any of my business.”

Ken: “It’s not, but it is mine so stop butting in.” Ken walks away to Yuri.

Inside the house, Victoria hears Ken’s phone ring. She sees Min-hyuk’s reply. He wants Yuri to call him immediately at the number he gives.

Yuri is digging through the trash and Ken walks up behind her. He says, “It’s not there.”

Yuri holds back tears. “Yeah, it’s not here.”

Ken asks, “Are you crying?”

Yuri replies, “I came to the US to live better, but here I am next to the trash.

Ken quietly says, “I’m sorry.”

Yuri picks herself up. “Why would you be sorry?”

Ken hands her the passport and Yuri is relieved to see it. Suddenly, a taxi drives in and off comes the girl that hit of Ken in the university and a couple of boys. They are looking for Ken, and now Ken and Yuri really have to run away.

Ken and Yuri keep running, chased through the city. They run into a theater to hide out finally.

Ken takes a breath while Yuri looks around. She’s learned from movies that usually the killer is lurking behind. Ken tells her to stop watching weird movies.

Yuri asks why Ken is running. “Are you really a drug dealer?” Ken replies, “My life is not so bad I would want to waste it that way.” Yuri: “Then why are your being chased?” Ken: “What about you, before?”

Ken tells Yuri to watch the movie since they are here while he rests. Yuri watches but it is all in English. Ken starts translating. “I had to come to make sure he wasn’t after you too.” “If I am going to trust, I need to know who you are.”

Yuri: “You weren’t sleeping.”

Ken continues to talk, but he isn’t translating anymore. “He met a girl yesterday. And that girl’s name is Yuri.”

Yuri: “How did you learn my name?”

Ken: “But now he has something he wants to know from Cha Eun Sang. Perhaps…”

Ken turns to face Yuri. “Do I like you?”

Episode  Three Preview:

Yuri: It’s really Hollywood!

Ken: The words I said in the theatre can’t be less strange than that Hollywood sign.

Tae-joon's Dad: Do you know I measure you?

Tae-joon: Because I am like mom instead of you.

Ken: You’re kinda cute.

Yuri: I’m glad you know.

Ian: Did you think this was a place you could come to?

Yuri: Are you okay?

Taemin does cute v-sign.

Tae-joon: I’m gonna kill you.

Yuri: Is the goal to be mistaken for a couple.

Ken: Don’t even dream about it.

Min-hyuk: Cha Eun Sang!

Yuri: Chan Young!

Min-hyuk: I was worried.

Soo-jung: He wouldn’t have forgotten about  me. Ken won’t sue Min-hyuk, right? Because he got beat up by him?

Ken: Do you know me?

Min-hyuk: Do you know me?

Ken: Just stay here. All you have to do is borrow money.

Yuri: There is no reason to stay here.

ken: Argh!

Madam Han: You heard everything?

Ken: If I go there, I think she will be there.

Victoria: Let’s see if it is coincidence or fate.