Turn of the Day

What If...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Turn of the Day

            The morning was going abnormally well for Ryeowook.  He’d woken up bright and early without the usual nausea he’d been assaulted with the last week.  After a rather large breakfast and seeing Kyuhyun off to work, he’d left to head to his department meeting early in the morning.  He stopped in at the café on the way, joked around with Yesung for a few minutes, and then went to his meeting, where he was complimented by their department head for all his hard work helping the theater department with their recent musical, which had generated a lot of money for the school.  He was half tempted to cancel his appointment with Leeteuk, since he felt so great, but he knew his friend would still insist on seeing him anyway.  Such a doctor!  Always over worried about his patients.  So he kept his ten o’clock appointment with his old friend. 

            “Good morning,” Ryeowook chimed, walking into Leeteuk’s office on campus.

            Leeteuk jumped up from his desk.  “Good morning, Wook!” he said, rushing over and indicating a chair for Ryeowook to sit down in.  “How are you feeling today?”

            “Surprisingly, I feel great, hyung!  I wondered if I should even bother to come in,” Ryeowook honestly told him.  “I think perhaps by stomach is returning to normal.”

            Leeteuk narrowed his eyes.  “If it’s what I think it is, then it’s just a short reprieve, perhaps.  This particular thing will make your stomach go up and down a bit, so you might have a good day here and there.”

            “Oh,” Ryeowook said, shrugging his shoulders.  “Well, what do you have to do?  Check my ears and throat, I imagine?”

            “Actually, this particular one is easiest to figure out through a urine test.  Do you think you can manage that?” he asked, handing Ryeowook a cup and pointing the way to his connecting bathroom.

            “I just drank a bunch of coffee, so probably,” Ryeowook said, setting down his bags and heading into the room.  “But that’s a strange test for a virus, isn’t it.”

            “For a virus, yes,” Leeteuk only admitted.  “Just leave the sample in the bathroom when you’re done and I’ll walk it down to the lab and come back when I have the results.  It will only take a few minutes.” 

            “Sure, hyung,” Ryeowook said, walking into the bathroom.  Well, at least his old friend wasn’t asking him to do anything too weird.  Peeing, he could manage.  It felt like he’d been peeing a little more frequently lately, although he hadn’t been drinking any more water or coffee than normal.  Perhaps it was a side effect of the virus.  It would maybe makes sense if they checked for it with a urine test.  Perhaps it affected the kidneys.

            Ryeowook left the sample and then went back into the room to do some reading. 

 

            Leeteuk stared at the pregnancy test.  Then he retested it, just to be completely sure he had the right result.  He did not want to tell Ryeowook one thing and then take it back later.  He again waited several minutes, pacing back and forth across the lab as several lab techs glanced over at him questioningly, thinking to himself. 

            Ryeowook had only been dating Kyuhyun for five months.  They were still in the early stages of a relationship.  It seemed almost cruel to put something so heavy on them, such as decisions about raising a baby together.  This wasn’t a small matter in the least.  If they decided to do this, they would be stuck knowing each other the rest of their lives, no matter what happened between the two of them.  Where they ready for that?  Ryeowook had been through a couple bad relationships already.  He’d dated Yesung, his high school sweetheart, only to have their love eventually die away as they grew apart.  Ryeowook, at the time, was devastated by this.  When he was finishing his degree, he met Hyungsik and they’d even moved in together.  Ryeowook thought he might even be the one.  But then he discovered that his boyfriend was cheating on him.  He had a general distrust of relationships working out.  Was he ready for something as big as a baby with his current boyfriend?  They hadn’t even been dating half a year.

            Leeteuk walked back over to the test.  The result read the same.  Positive.  Still in shock, he had to walk over to a chair to sit down for a moment.  Ryeowook had only been given one pill and it worked on him.  When Donghae got pregnant, he’d been on the pill for a couple weeks to ensure that the hormones would be effective, but they had no way of knowing if they worked in one day or sometime in the fourteen day test period.  Leeteuk wished that Ryeowook had been a willing participant.  He would have taken a bunch of preliminary bloodwork and urine cultures to test the state of him before the fertility pill was given to him.  Perhaps there was something different about his natural hormone levels or even just the amount of vitamins in his system that made him more likely to get pregnant. 

            He stood back up and grabbed the tests.  He would probably need to show them to Ryeowook to prove that it wasn’t a trick of some sort.  Leeteuk wasn’t entirely sure what kind of reaction to expect out of Ryeowook, but he was pretty sure it wasn’t going to be the tears of joy he’d gotten out of Donghae when he heard the news that he was expecting.  There might still be tears though.

 

            Kyuhyun was having a wonderful morning.  He’d spent the night at his boyfriend’s apartment—for the first time—and had woken up to a feast of food.  Could life get any better?  Despite the fact that Ryeowook’s bedroom looked a little like a toy department with all the stuffed giraffes in it, his place was immaculate.  There were houseplants flourishing in the living room, near the windows.  He had coordinated the colors of this furniture and décor in each room.  (That was a little beyond Kyuhyun.  He just made sure that there were no holes in the furniture and he vacuumed and picked up the place.  Everything matching in a room was above his skill level.)  The place even smelled slightly lemony, is if he’d just cleaned, despite the fact he’d been at Kyuhyun’s home for three days.  Why wasn’t his boyfriend insisting they stay at his place instead of Kyuhyun’s crappy apartment?  That was the only question nagging at him that morning.

            On his way to work, he stopped to get coffee and a newspaper.  He arrived early and greeted all his coworkers as they walked in the door.  Sungmin rolled his eyes at this. 

            “Didn’t you sleep last night?  I thought it was Saeun’s turn to watch the kids?” Kyuhyun asked.

            “It was, but that doesn’t mean I can sleep through the night if one of them is cranky and crying because a tooth is coming in.  Seojun is getting a tooth and would not go to sleep unless one of us was holding him and even if Saeun is the one on duty to rock him all night, it still left Seoyeon to handle.  Saeun can’t take care of them both at once.  When Seoyeon got up for her bottle in the middle of the night, I had to get up.  But I still didn’t get much sleep anyway.  I couldn’t sleep through Seojun crying.”

            Kyuhyun shook his head.  “Must be rough, man!  I’m glad that I can sleep through the night without any worse interruption than Ryeowook occasionally elbowing me or talking in his sleep.”

            “Wook still talks in his sleep, huh?” Sungmin asked, smiling to himself.  “I used to give him such about that, back in the day.  What does he talk about?”

            “Usually nothing I can comprehend, but sometimes if I ask him questions, he’ll start answering them.  Who the hell is Yesung, by the way?” Kyuhyun asked, leaning forward in his seat and staring Sungmin down.

            “His ex-boyfriend from high school,” Sungmin answered. 

            “Why does it sound like he still talks to him?” Kyuhyun asked.

            “Probably a better question for your boyfriend.”

            Kyuhyun glared at him.  “Or you could just be a pal and tell me.”

            “Or not.”

            “I’m going to remember this, the next time you ask me for a favor.”

            “I’m not worried,” Sungmin said, beginning his work for the day and ignoring Kyuhyun.

            Just then, Siwon opened the door to his office and there was a collective sigh throughout the floor.  “Kyuhyun, can I see you a moment?”

            Kyuhyun stood up and headed to Siwon’s office, the envy of every woman.  They glared at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter