Shin Dongho (1/2)

We Were Only Strangers

***

 

Today was a special day to Mia. It was not a good thing because it was 100 days since her sister, Kyungmi, got into an accident and died. That was also the reason for her mom to put her into Woolim High. Her mom used to look at schools from their quality so that was how Kyungmi entered NH High.

On a day in July, Kyungmi was in her way to her school which was located out of the town of her house. Unfortunately, she got into an accident. Kyungmi’s twin brother, Gikwang, went to the same school. He was still alive because he went there one day before Kyungmi.

Mia’s mom wouldn’t ever think about enrolling Mia into that school or another high-quality schools which were far to her house. In the end, Mia studied in Woolim High but Gikwang refused to move because he enjoyed studying in his current school. His mom could do nothing about it.

 

The bell rang. Every student packed their things and left their classrooms. Anja went to Mia’s seat and shook Mia’s arm to wake her up. She was sleeping with her face buried in her arms. She woke up slowly and stood up. Anja waited for her to get ready and they left.

 

“Are you going home with Sungyeol?” Mia asked her friend who recently became Sungyeol’s girl.

 

Anja nodded while looking at the floor. Mia pursed her lips.

 

“Are you okay with that? You seem so down today, what happened?” Anja asked worriedly.

 

Mia smiled at the fact that Anja noticed her mood changed.

“No, it’s just... today is,” she began to have those watery eyes. “Kyungmi unnie’s 100th day,”

 

“Are you going to her place?”

 

Mia nodded and Anja started to think about something that would make her best friend feeling better.

 

“Can I go with you? I actually have a date with Sungyeol today but I can tell him later that I w—“

 

“No!” she hit Anja in the arm and pouted. “You two are couple only for one day so far. You have to feel how it’s like to have a boyfriend!”

 

“I can do it tomorrow,”

 

“Date with Sungyeol today or break up with him now,” she threatened and pointed her index finger to Anja beaming those glares. Even though it was a deathly glare, she put some cuteness in it.

 

Just then Anja felt like slapping her in the face again.

 

“Yah, did you tell her to break up with me?” Sungyeol came and put his arm around Anja.

 

“No,” Mia innocently blinked. “If I didn’t say that threat maybe she wouldn’t go on a date with you today, right?”

 

Anja nodded.

 

“You, don’t act as if you are cute or something,” Sungyeol pointed at Mia’s face.

 

“You act cute in front of Anja too, don’t you?”

 

Sungyeol scratched his head and grinned because he thought he did. Anja rolled her eyes.

 

“You two can go now and enjoy your time as a lovey-dovey couple,” Mia said and did some ‘shoo’ moves with her hands as if she was casting them out from the place.

 

Sungyeol dragged Anja away. Anja looked back at Mia and she waved. Mia replied with smile and waved.

 

She sighed as she saw the couples left.

 

 

***

 

Dongho crashed his back to the bed and stared at the ceiling for a minute. He took his phone and played with it until a reminder suddenly popped out.

 

Kyungmi noona’s 100th day :(

 

He got up suddenly. He remembered that it was her 100th day just then. Guilty feelings started to haunt him. He quickly changed his clothes and got ready to go to her place.

 

“Eomma, I’m leaving,” he said as he hopped outside the house.

 

“Where are you going, Dongho-yah?” his mom yelled from inside the house making him to stop his steps.

 

“Noona’s place,” he answered after entered the house again.

 

“Noonas again? When are you going to make friends with someone younge—“

 

“It’s Kyungmi noona, eomma,”

 

His mom stopped after she heard the name ‘Kyungmi’. She knew that her son liked her for a long time; it could be seen from the way he acted around Kyungmi.

 

“Oh. All right, you can go,”

 

Once again he went out the house and walked to Kyungmi’s place while playing all of these memories they had when she was still alive. He stared at the sky and smiled. He hoped that his favorite noona could see him.

 

Dongho had been close to noonas since he entered NH High. Many noonas tried to get his attention because he looked cute, but only a few noonas who were actually succeed. One of these lucky noonas was Kyungmi. Dongho actually wanted no one but Kyungmi because he liked her, but his friends liked the other noonas so he befriended them in order to make the other noonas and his friends close.

 

It took a long time for him to forget his best noona. He had been suffering for the first month but then he realized no matter how much he cried, it wouldn’t change the reality. Right then, he decided to show Kyungmi that he was a strong man. Strong enough to let her go.

 

He arrived at the place. He quickly walked towards the gravestone with her name on it. A petite girl was standing there wearing all black clothes. She stared the ground with a sad face but no tears.

 

For a minute, Dongho thought it was Kyungmi. Her face, her figure, her moves, how she pat her face, and the way she fixed her hair and curled it behind her ear were all similar to Kyungmi. He froze in place.

 

The girl noticed Dongho and looked at him. Dongho walked to her side.

 

“Are you unnie’s friend?” she asked.

 

Dongho nodded. He still couldn’t believe there was a little bit of Kyungmi drawn on her face.

 

“Oh, yes. I’m Dongho, her junior. You?” he handed his hand unconsciously asking for a handshake.

 

He regretted acting so friendly because that was really not him. Somehow his arm moved by itself.

 

“I’m Mia. Nice to meet you,” she said. Mia smiled and bowed instead of taking his hand.

 

Dongho awkwardly took his hand back noticing that she didn’t shake her hand with his, but just then she reached his hand and gasped.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were asking for a handshake,” she said and grinned.

 

How she acted and all were really similar to noona’s.

 

Dongho just smiled.

 

“Ah, I’m Kyungmi unnie’s sister, I forgot,”

 

No wonder Dongho felt she was a petite version of Kyungmi. They have got the same appearance and style. Even their aegyo maybe would have the same feelings. He didn’t see Mia’s aegyo yet, but he felt like it would appear in anytime soon.

 

“You really looked like her,” he blurted. Soon, he realized what he just said. “Oh, I mean, you are siblings… so,”

 

“Yeah, a lot of people told that,” Mia said. “But they—and you—haven’t seen Gikwang oppa! He looks like unnie more than me!”

 

She raised her tone and threw some cuteness in it. She gasped and put her hands on .  Her action made Dongho chuckled. He was actually surprised that he chuckled, but he tried to keep it cool.

 

“Even your aegyo had noona’s feeling on it,” he said.

 

Mia gazed at him.

 

“Are you older than me?” she asked.

 

Dongho thought a bit. He remembered the family talk he had with Kyungmi. She said her sister was 4 years younger than her and she had a twin. If Kyungmi was 4 years older than Mia and he was 2 years younger than Kyungmi, that means he was older than Mia by 2 years.

 

“Yes. Two years older than you,” he snapped a finger. He was surprised at how he acted as if they were close.

 

Mia made an ‘O’ with . She thought something was hidden behind Dongho. He visited her grave, he knew Kyungmi’s aegyo well, and he knew the between them. There was no doubt at all.

 

“Oppa, you like Kyungmi unnie?” she asked.

 

Dongho’s eyes widened as she finished her sentence. There were several things that made him felt strange. First, she easily knew his feelings towards Kyungmi. Second, her aegyo—again—had the same feelings. Third, she called him ‘oppa’. It had been a long time since Dongho was addressed as an oppa.

 

“Y-yah, little kid!” he yelled.

 

Mia put her finger in front of and signaled him to quiet down. She glanced at her right and left. She gave him a sign for him to follow her and she left the graveyard.

 

“If you want to yell at me, do it now. It’s not good to yell in there,” she said.

 

“Am I too easy to tell?” he hissed.

 

Mia narrowed her eyes.

 

“Did you just yell in there and when I brought you here you are whispering?” she said. Dongho ignored that so she continued. “For me it was quite easy. I’m expert at this thing,”

 

“Are you a playgirl?” he curiously asked. She shook her head and somehow making him felt a little glad. “Did you date more than two or more boys this year?”

 

She stayed still and didn’t make a move. He could tell what did that mean.

 

“So you did,” he said.

 

“Not your business anyway,”

 

“It is!” he said. Right when Mia was about to say something, he mumbled, “You are my favorite noona’s dongsaeng,”

 

She smirked.

 

“I heard that,”

 

 “So?”

 

“What are you to unnie? Her boyfriend?” she asked randomly.

 

Dongho liked how she changed the topic without a reason. She didn’t seem confused or something, she just wanted to change the topic.

 

“Nothing. Just friend,”

 

So they continued on their talk. They got to know each other better. Dongho was grateful to meet Kyungmi’s sister and Mia felt the same. She felt great to know someone who was indirectly connected to her by Kyungmi. Dongho felt something even better about Mia beside the fact she was Kyungmi’s sister. She was his first ever friend who was girl and younger than him.

 

Mia looked at her watch as they walked to some random directions.

 

“Oh, it’s four already,” she blurted.

 

“Why? Do you have something to do?” he asked.

 

“No, but I think I have to go home now, oppa,”

 

Dongho nodded.

 

“Are you with someone else?” Dongho asked.

 

Mia shook her head and mouthed ‘why’. She was supposed to ask it and not just mouthed it but the voice that she prepared was too low so she ended up mouthing it.

 

“I can take you home if you want,” he offered

 

“But my house is far, you know,” she stated

 

 “I know,” he said with a confident smirk all over his face.

 

“I know your heart was saying, “I knew it from my beloved noona”, right?” she said with an annoyed tone.

 

Dongho stuck out his tounge and grabbed Mia’s wrist in impatience making her eyes widened. They continued walking.

 

It was their first time being very close to a stranger they’ve just met that day. They decided to exchange their numbers because they thought it would be a waste if they didn’t keep the relationship when they were already close.

 

 

***

 

 

Mia lay down on her bed. She took a magazine on a table right beside her bed without moving any part of her body but arm. She started to open the magazine. She went through the pages and smiled on B1A4’s page. She flipped the page and squealed quietly on Gongchan’s full-page photo. She hugged the magazine with crazy fan-girl smile all over that face.

 

Right when she was going to flip that page, her phone vibrates. She took it out of her pocket to see who was sending her a message.

 

Dongho oppa?

 

Yah, little kid, I’m at the park near your house. Do you want to meet me? In case you missed me u,u

 

Mia thought about what she should reply. When the idea came, she started typing. Because there was no one home, she decided to meet him. There wasn’t anything for her to do, anyway. She pressed the send button and hopped from her bed.

 

Mia started to choose the clothes she wanted to wear and combed her hair. Somehow, she wanted to look good in front of Dongho. That feeling just appeared out of nowhere.

 

 

***

 

Dongho was in a car. He looked out of the window as he tapped it with his fingertip. He was going home from a place that was needed to do their project, and then he saw a familiar house. Kyung—ah no, I mean Mia’s house.

 

He suddenly got an idea to meet her again, but her house was already far behind. He thought of a good place to meet, and then the park near her house appeared in his head.

 

“Kiseop-ah, drop me at the park. You know where it is, right?” he said to his friend who was driving the car.

 

“Oh, why?” Kiseop asked him back.

 

“Nothing. I just remembered that my friend’s house is somewhere near this park so I’m going to meet her because we rarely meet,” he explained.

 

“Friend? ‘Her’? Yah, maknae, who is it? You finally moved on!”

 

“Is she a noona too?”

 

Questions started to go out from his hyungs’ mouths.

 

“She is Kyungmi noona’s little sister! She is younger than me,” he answered.

 

His hyungs started to be noisy because of their maknae finally got another girl and it was a girl who was younger than him. It was a rare thing. None of them had ever seen Dongho with a younger girl. Moreover, it was his past crush’s sister.

 

Dongho started to get everything in his mind. He just realized what his hyungs are thinking of Mia.

 

“Yah, hyung! She’s just friend!” he exclaimed.

 

His friends just chuckled over his act.

 

When they arrived at the park, Dongho got off of the car and texted Mia a message asking her to meet up with him. He wished that she would accept his offer because it would be a waste for him that he denied to go home with his friends.

 

Less than a minute after he sent the text message, his phone vibrated. He was surprised that Mia replied it fast. They had been texting each other since then, but Mia had always replied him in five minutes or less, but not as fast as this time.

 

Arasseo, Dongchin oppa. I’ll be there soon. Take a note, I’m taking your offer because I’m alone and I have nothing to do! It’s not like I missed you or something -__-

 

Dongho chuckled and sat on a bench. He wondered if she really missed him or not. Wait, what if she really misses me? Well, maybe she does, as a friend.

 

 

***

 

SORRYSORRYSORRY
Ok, I don't know why but I think this story is boring .__.
I tried to write it but ended up with a more than 11 paged oneshot
so I decided to make it twoshots instead

 

My friend sugested this plot (and she's the real Mia, HAHA) so I tried to write it but I think I ended up failing. SORRY MIA! ><
I apologize to you by promoting your ff, ok? :p

Invisible nor Visible by Miiaaa