Twenty/Epilogue/Closure

Monsters of Men

A year later, at four fifteen in the morning in an apartment in Highmont, Baekhyun rolls over in bed and gently shakes Chanyeol awake.

"Hey. Yeollie."

The taller man grunts. "Hnn?"

"I dreamed about Yixing."

"Again?" Chanyeol throws an arm over Baekhyun and pulls him close. "I'm here. Don't worry."

"No, no, it's...it's a good dream. Actually, I don't know if it's a dream. Just--just listen."

Chanyeol opens a bleary eye and smiles. "I'm listening."

It's a beautiful day, and the cactus balls on Grace Drive--the one that Baekhyun brought with him to the apartment and is currently sitting on the windowsill--are blooming again, sunshine yellows and spiky little thorns threatening the drunk kids who try to break in at night. Baekhyun is standing in the living room across from Yixing as he drinks chocolate milk.

"Lay?"

Yixing rolls his eyes. "I don't even like Lay's chips." He wipes at the milk mustache that's formed.

Baekhyun peers down at himself, throat tightening as he sees that he's wearing Yixing's old tee shirt, the one he wore on his first date with Chanyeol.

Yixing downs the last of his milk and sets it down on the folding table in the dining room. He puts his hands in his pockets and looks around. "Wow. Haven't seen this place in a year."

Baekhyun looks up. "I--Yixing, you're--"

"Dead, I know." Yixing smiles warmly. "I missed you, Baek."

"Lay?"

The taller man sighs and turns so that he's facing the window. Suddenly, clouds rush in, and snow begins to fall. The cactus ball's flower curls up.

"Baekhyun," Yixing says. "There are things that I don't think humans will ever understand." He tilts his head, puzzled. "I still don't, and it's...well, it's been a year."

Baekhyun steps forward. "What are you..."

Yixing smiles cryptically. "There are things that you specifically will ever know. Maybe you never will. And maybe that's for the best."

"What do you mean?"

"Kiddo," Yixing says, turning to Baekhyun. "Don't be sad anymore, okay? Don't be scared and don't be sad."

Baekhyun looks down at his hands, which are shaking. Heat builds up behind his eyes. "I don't want to be dreaming about this anymore."

Yixing's warm hands close around Baekhyun's, and he traces his old circles on the back of them. "Death isn't all that bad," he says. "And we're going to meet again...soon enough."

Baekhyun glances up. "Am I going to die?"

"Not yet." Yixing gives Baekhyun's hands a comforting squeeze. "You've got a lot of life left in you yet." He chuckles.

The snow outside changes into rain, drumming quietly against the glass.

"Yixing, is this just a dream?" Baekhyun asks, voice cracking. "Am I just making this up so I can hear what I want to hear?"

Yixing blinks, then grins. "There are things that I don't think humans will ever understand," he says again. "But if you were making all this up, is it really that bad?" He sighs. "I miss you too, Baekhyun. But I'm never too far away. What is it that they do in movies?" He puts a hand over his heart. "Because I'm right here."

The house and Yixing start to fade, and Baekhyun grabs at the image of his former roommate. "Wait, Lay--"

Yixing smiles and salutes. "In another life, Baekhyun."

And it all disappears.