Joonmyun

Fortune

After a dreamless sleep, Baekhyun woke up quietly. Opening his eyes, he slowly began to look around, confused, before remembering his change of scenery.

He stood and stretched before walking to the bathroom to wash up and change.

"I hope I can remember my way out..."

He slowly walked through the doorway, through the dark halls, heading towards light. That was how he knew to leave the abandoned part of the building. Afterwards, it was journey learning his way back to the back door.

He found it eventually. Through the smell of breakfast.

"Good morning, sir." Siwon slightly bowed to him as he walked into the grand room.

"Good morning," Baek nodded.

"Baekhyun!" Yixing yelled across the room and waved.

"Good morning," Baekhyun nodded again, then headed towards the door.

"Wait, where are you going?" The young chef walked over to him. "Don't you want your breakfast? The table will be set shortly."

"Wha- Oh, no, I don't want you to go through all the trouble..." But at that moment, the cooks had already begun to set the dining room table with numerous breakfast foods. "I... I hope this isn't all for me..."

Yixing laughed. "Of course not, the owner of this home will be joining you this morning."

"Huh?"

On cue, Kim Joonmyun walked into the room. Everyone greeted him formally, but even so Beak seemed very astonished.

"We're having a good ol' American breakfast this morning?"

"Yes, sir." Yixing nodded proudly. "I hope the two of you enjoy." He bowed and left, the rest of the staff following him.

Joonmyun then nodded at Baekhyun and extended his hand towards a chair, inviting Baek to eat with him.

The pool cleaner, however, was conflicted. He usually would go straight to his tasks before eating breakfast, and he'd eat breakfast alone. Now, after waking up in the mansion, he was being offered to eat with his boss!

Not only that, but Baek was thrilled to see that his boss was well, or at least appeared as so.

He sat at the edge of the table, as Joonmyun sat at the end. He filled his plate up with sausage, bacon, pancakes, fruit salad, and oatmeal.All the while, Baekhyun just sat quietly, rubbing his hands on his legs nervously.

"Well, are you going to eat?"

"Ah... mmm." He nodded and also started placing food on his plate, but only very little. He took a biscuit, a slice of bacon, and a small amount of fruit and oatmeal with half a glass of milk. He wasn't very hungry, and also wouldn't pig out in front of his boss.

"Uh... sajangnim..."

Joonmyun laughed.

"Huh?"

He shook his head. "Baekhyun, we've known each other since we were young. And you also saved my life." Baek nodded, even though the latter still felt so surreal to him. "You don't have to refer to me in that way. Just call me Joonmyun."

"Oh..." Baekhyun nodded. It felt like forever since the last time he called him that. "Well... Joonmyun... ahem. How are you? How do you feel?"

"Well, I wasn't too injured or anything." He gave the pool cleaner a reassuring smile. "I heard you were worried, but I'm fine. I have slight amnesia, though."

"Huh?" Baekhyun's eyes widened.

"I'm okay, though. It's very minor. It seems I have a head injury, even though it's nothing to worry about. I just don't remember how it happened. As a matter of fact, I don't even remember going out for a swim. But that's the extent of it. I inhaled a bit of water, but I'm fine now. I probably should avoid the pool for a while, but I'll be fine otherwise. I just need to be careful from now on."

"How do you think you hit your head?" Baekhyun's voice was filled with concern.

"I probably hit the wall while swimming, and freaked out since I couldn't see and it was dark. I learned my lesson though- I won't go for a swim earlier than usual from now on!"

Baekhyun nodded. "it's good that you're okay now."

Joonmyun smiled. "You really haven't changed. Thank you for worrying. Now, please eat. I have some other, less depressing things to talk to you about."

Baek became very curious about what it could be. He did as he was told, and slowly began to chew on his bacon.

"I'm glad you took advantage of the oppurtunity to throw a party yesterday, and to stay in one of the guest rooms in here. I'm also glad you joined me this morning for this breakfast. However... I know it's not enough." Baekhyun looked confused. "See... you saved my life, and life is very invaluable... I realized that yesterday. I didn't think about how important it is until yesterday, sadly. What I'm trying to say is... because of your bravery yesterday, I want to repay you in as many ways possible."

Baekhyun smiled. "This is enough, really. I don't mind staying in my original room and doing things the way I've always done it. I'm no hero, I just did what was right. I don't need anything special."

Joonmyun looked at him in disbelief. "Baekhyun. I'm not just talking about giving back for your work, for a task you've done. You saved my life. That's not just a small thing."

"Ah- I didn't mean it in that way!" Baekhyun scratched his head. "I mean, I... anyone could have done it! It's just that it happened to be me... I mean... I don't deserve to have special treatment for something that is inherently a good deed..."

Joonmyun put his hand on Baek's shoulder. "You know I could have died if it wasn't for you. You're the only one who goes near the pools."

Baek looked at his boss with wide eyes. He hadn't thought about that.

"I want to repay you for that, Baekhyun. I want you to live a grand life!"

"Huh?"

Joonmyun smiled at him. "I have this big home, I party every night, I spend money endlessly. Even so, I don't have that great of a life. I think... you would live this kind of life better. After all, it's the life your father wanted you to have. Not worrying about your next meal or if you'll stay warm, ya know. If you live here with me, you can live the life your father wished for you. After all, you've earned it. For all the hard work you do as well as your bravery."

Baekhyun looked at his boss in disbelief. He picked at his biscuit nervously without eating it. "Sajangnim, I don't know..."

"It's Joonmyun! And from today, I'm no longer your boss. You can even go back to school now! I'll pay for it!"

"You'll pay for it?"

"Well, I don't have to if that bothers you. You can pay for it yourself, now that you're rich."

"RICH?!"

"Today is your last payday. From now on, we can be roommates! Unless you want to sleep in the guesthouse."

Baekhyun laughed. He was overwhelmed! "Actually... My current room will do."

Joonmyun smiled. "Great! Thank you for accepting." he sighed. He was relieved. He wouldn't feel right if he didn't couldn't repay his childhood friend. "Anyways, which room did you sleep in? Would you mind showing me?"

Baek shook his head, and showed Joonmyun to his room.

"Why are you here?"

"Isn't this the room you set for me?"

"Not at all. I don't even come to this hall... You should be on my side of this house. I'll have them set it up immediately. You will be sleeping in a more comfortable bed, of course. Now, come with me, I'll show you the rest of the house."

Baek followed the young man, the way he did in the past, in admiration. Everything was going so fast for him, but it was finally sinking in.

He would finally live the life his father wished for him!