1/2

Blue Sonder

I’m sorry I broke your pedal.

I hope this ticket could make it up to you.

I’m really sorry.

 

 

Baekhyun stared at the shred of small paper that looked like it was being torn apart from a notebook in a hurry. The handwriting was messy. Certainly written by a boy, Baekhyun thought.

 

He glanced at his bike. One of the pedals were broken, just like how it was stated in the note. He figured the writer of this small note accidently dropped his bike, and his old bike just couldn’t handle it. Wait, it wasn’t even his bike. It was his uncle’s old bike.

 

Baekhyun sighed. At the first day at his new high school after he moved here, he already faced an unfortunate event like this. He was indeed an unlucky person.

 

He brought his hand down, putting the note on his bike’s basket and took another shred of paper from inside. It was the ticket mentioned in the note. Apparently, it was a concert ticket, an indie band concert in some kind of a pub whose name Baekhyun wasn’t familiar with at all. The band name didn’t sound familiar either. The name was er Punch, and the concert was tonight.

 

Baekhyun wouldn’t lie to himself and say that he wasn’t actually pissed. This person thought a ticket to a concert of a band he didn’t even know could fix his pedal or something. And now Baekhyun needed to go home on foot, and brought this broken bike with him too.

 

He can’t help but chuckle, an empty chuckle. He just can’t understand how he could have the worst luck in the world.

 

He folded both the ticket and the note and placed them inside the pocket of his pants. With a heavy heart and dry throat, Baekhyun straightened his bike and began to walk.

 

It was already 4PM. Which meant he needed to get home in half an hour before his aunt began to worry.

 

And he reminded himself to ask his cousin where the hell Moonstone Pub was.

 

*

 

Baekhyun wasn’t someone who liked to go to pubs often, even before he moved to Seoul. His mother had told him that his grandfather had died because his stomach got rotten from drinking too much beer. And his mother lame attempt to scare him actually worked. Baekhyun never drank.

 

He had only been to a pub twice. A very small and stuffy pub in his little town, Gangwon-do Yanggu. The first time was when he turned 18 earlier this year. His friends pulled him out of his house and had him the first experience of the noisy place. It wasn’t a pleasant experience because one of his friend threw his gut out on his lap when the clock hit 12.

 

The second time... Baekhyun didn’t even want to remember it.

 

He didn’t like the idea of drinking. He didn’t like pubs. He didn’t like music or concert very much either. So he couldn’t really justify himself why he wanted to go to this one.

 

And Kris, his older cousin, also questioned it.

 

“er Punch?” Kris asked with his thick eyebrows raised.

 

Kris had just gotten back home and was still wearing his school uniform, white short sleeve shirt with a red tie, the same uniform Baekhyun wore today. The guy was Baekhyun’s Chinese cousin whose father married Baekhyun’s mother’s older sister. He was one hell of a guy, with his glorious 187 cm of height and perfectly sculpted god-like face. And if Baekhyun was not mistaken, he was in a band and played for a basketball team. It certainly gave him a lot of power in school.

 

“Just bring him, honey.” Baekhyun could hear his aunt, spoke from the kitchen. She smiled at Baekhyun, that pitiful smile which he always got from her. He withdrew his intention to smile back at her. He started to grow tired faking smiles for his aunt.

 

“You want to watch my band?” Kris asked again, this time putting all his attention on Baekhyun, forgetting to undo his uniform tie as he took a seat on the sofa.

 

“er Punch is your band?” Baekhyun asked back, looking surprised. He really didn’t know.

 

The older chuckled, while smirking. The type of smirk that could make girls worship him. That was how good looking Kris was. He was only one year older than Baekhyun, but he was like on another level compared to him.

 

“I didn’t know it was your band.” Baekhyun shrugged and pulled out the ticket from inside his pocket. “Somebody gave it to me today.”

 

Kris didn’t take the ticket and only glanced at it from his place. “From who? Your friend? I didn’t know you had make friends.” His tone wasn’t mocking, he was genuinely curious. That was one of the things that Baekhyun liked about hm. Kris was caring despite his cold look.

 

He supposed telling him the whole story would take too much time so Baekhyun just nodded. “Yeah, some random people.”

 

Kris looked at him, trying to read his face to see if Baekhyun was lying or hiding something from him. Baekhyun still remembered his words from this morning when they parted ways at Baekhyun’s locker. If anyone bother you, call me. Both of them were in their senior year, but in different class unfortunately. Kris and his mom had been nagging the school’s administrator to change Baekhyun’s schedule so he could have the same classes as Kris, but it was hard to do so considering it was already the middle of the semester.

 

When Kris didn’t find anything suspicious from Baekhyun’s expression, his intense eyes softened. “We’ll go together to the Moonstone tonight,” he said as he got up from the sofa and walked to his room. Just as Baekhyun thought his cousin had left him at the living room, Kris turned around. “I’m glad that you’re trying to participate, Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun’s chest tightened for a moment. But Kris’ relieved smile helped loosen the feeling. Baekhyun smiled back at him and nodded. “Well, yeah.”

 

It’s been a while.

 

 

*

 

 

“Looking good, Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol turned his head around and found a girl leaning against the bar beside him. He knew this girl. Hyojin was his senior by two years, having already graduated high school. She was the daughter of the owner of Moonstone Pub, so Chanyeol often saw her here.

 

“You too, Hyojin,” he winked. He was digging his own grave, he knew. But Chanyeol needed a distraction today, desperately. And Hyojin seemed like an okay choice. “How’s college?”

 

She clicked her tongue. It was the way she flirt, Chanyeol noticed. “Boring. High school is much more fun. When will your band go up?”

 

“In a minute,” Chanyeol gulped down the remnants of his beer. “Kris hasn’t arrived yet.”

 

The name Kris seemed to tick her interest. Kris and she were dating last summer, actually. Whether what they had was real or not, Chanyeol knew Hyojin still had feeling for him. “Where is he? It’s not like him for arriving late.”

 

True. And that was why Chanyeol had been on edge since earlier. Kris was the leader of their band, and he was never late. “I’m going backstage. Hope you enjoy our performance,” he said, getting down from the stool.

 

“Always do.” Hyojin grinned and waved at the boy before Chanyeol disappeared behind the ‘staff-only’ door at the back of the bar.

 

By the time it was their turn to go on stage, Kris still hadn’t arrived. But they decided that the show must go on. Kris was the drummer, so the band decided to sing an acoustic song first to drag out the time until he arrived.

 

Moonstone was packed with and unstable kids on the block. It wasn’t really a place to be proud of, but performing there had set a place for er Punch as a middle class pop rock indie band in town. They were the star of Moonstone, and these were the people who loved them. So no matter how much this pub , Chanyeol never wanted to disappoint. These people bought the ticket to their show after all. Whether the purpose was to watch them or getting free unlimited drink, they still paid for them to sing here.

 

Chanyeol’s nervous gaze landed on Jongdae, their vocalist, and Yixing, their guitarist and another Chinese member of the band. Chanyeol gave them a look before he picked up his own guitar and sat on the stool.

 

Chanyeol was going to kill Kris later. When he called the leader earlier, he said he was running late because he was bringing someone. If it was a girl, Chanyeol would make sure he’ll kill him slowly and painfully. His hobby to play around with girls seriously needed to stop.

 

Today hadn’t been his day for sure.

 

“Good evening, everyone,” Yixing, who was some kind of their co-leader, began to speak. His clumsy Korean yet calming voice eased Chanyeol a bit. “On this cold, raining night, let’s open the show with Jongdae’s beautiful voice, and the beautiful dance of I and Chanyeol’s fingers.”

 

There was an accumulative ‘yes’ from the audience as Chanyeol can’t help but lightly chuckled. He repositioned his guitar comfortably on his lap and nodded to Yixing, sending the signal that he was ready. Jongdae also gave his nod, coupled with a wide grin to Yixing.

 

“This is our first song, Midnight Rain. Enjoy!” Yixing said before playing the first melody out of his favorite guitar, where Chanyeol followed a second later, and Jongdae’s soothing voice also followed suit.

 

They weren’t the best indie band in the area. er Punch was only one year old and they started this for fun, but it didn’t mean that they weren’t somewhat professional. Their music was likeable. The audience always enjoyed their performance and they would all leave with satisfying smiles. Every member was always happy after they performed and that was what mattered the most.

 

Chanyeol also could forget all of his problem, even his deepest problem, when playing music, so he was always looking forward to perform. That was why he was really furious for Kris being late. er Punch was known for their professionalism, and Chanyeol didn’t want to let anyone down.

 

When they had reached half of their song, Chanyeol could see Kris stroll in through the entrance door. Chanyeol let out a sigh of relief in between his guitar melody and smiled at their leader. Without looking at the other members, he knew they were as relieved as him.

 

He spotted Kris talking to someone, the same person who had entered into the pub alongside him, but he can’t really see who it was. It was probably the person Kris said he was bringing today. Chanyeol couldn’t even see if it was a girl or a boy. The light in the pub was too dim.

 

It was when Jongdae sang his last line that Chanyeol caught Kris finally leaving whoever the person was, and he immediately ran backstage.

 

“That was our first song. Did you guys like it?” Yixing asked, his tone rather loud. It was a different feel from before compared to having Kris’ presence with them. They could play like usual. “The night is still young, so let’s have a little fun, shall we? Come on up, Kris!”

 

The audience roared. Kris had always been the most popular one because he, as much as Chanyeol hated to admit, was the best looking amongst them.

 

When Kris finally came out onto the stage, the pub came to life. He walked to the edge of the stage and gave out the flying kisses that made Chanyeol cringe but he still laughed in the end. His anger toward the older guy had vanished completely. But he wasn’t going to let this thing slide. Maybe later. Now they had an audience to entertain.

 

After giving out enough fan service to the girls, Kris went to the back of stage, to his own stage. The drum was waiting for his strong beat to light up the night.

 

On the way to his drum, Kris walked past the younger guitarist and winked at him. Chanyeol chuckled, “Where were you?”

 

“My cousin needed extra time to get ready,” the leader answered.

 

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. “You have cousin?”

 

Kris didn’t reply to Chanyeol’s question and just walked and sat on his reign, leaving Chanyeol curious. With complete members, they were ready to rock the night.

 

*

 

 

When their set had finished, Kris let himself being dragged off the stage by Chanyeol. The older guy grinned when the guitarist hissed at him. “Explain.”

 

“Whoa, I thought I’m the leader here.”

 

“That doesn’t mean you can slack off on your schedule,” Chanyeol retorted. Yixing and Jongdae also walked off the stage as Chanyeol heard them snickering behind him. “Aren’t you guys mad at him too?” Chanyeol asked his friends.

 

“Easy, Chanyeol,” Yixing answered, nonchalant and simple. He didn’t even look at Chanyeol. He was too busy putting his guitar in its case.

 

Kris shook his head in amusement as he put his drum sticks down and put his hand around Chanyeol’s shoulder. The drummer then pulled him out of the backstage so they could talk more freely while having a drink on the bar. Yixing and Jongdae followed behind.

 

“I wasn’t lying when I said my cousin take some time to get ready,” Kris explained once more.

 

“What cousin?” Yixing responded from behind.

 

“Well, does she know that Moonstone isn’t really a good place to go looking for a decent one night stand? Such a waste of time and make-up,” Jongdae snickered.

 

“It’s a he, not she. And he could apply make-up better than any other girls here, I tell you,” Kris defended. It was easy for Chanyeol to see a flame of protectiveness in the leader’s eyes.

 

“It still doesn’t explain why you were late.” Chanyeol crossed his arms in front of his chest. “I thought you said that we have to be professional.”

 

Jongdae groaned in reply. “Come on, Chanyeol. Let’s talk about Kris’ cousin.” The vocalist turned to the leader, “Where is he? Is he hot?”

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. He couldn’t care less about the cousin. All he cared about right now was his band. It was all he had after long emptiness for the past four years. If he lost the band, he would be back to his old self, and he can’t have that. He promised himself, and his best friends, to change for the better.

 

“ off, Jongdae. He’s off limit.” Chanyeol could have sworn that he heard Kris growl.

 

What’s with this cousin of his? Kris was being strangely protective over his cousin. A cousin that he, or the other members, had never heard of before.

 

“Where is he?” Lay intercepted. “You should introduce him to us.”

 

 

Kris looked at each one of them. He was having that kind of eyes that only showed up if they were in a studio while they were making music–intense and serious.

 

“If any of you touch him, I’ll definitely kick your ,” Kris threatened as he turned around and left, probably to get his precious cousin.

 

Chanyeol clicked his tongue. “So we won’t talk about this?” he looked at his two other members. They weren’t even paying attention at him. Instead, their eyes followed Kris who finally reached beside his cousin.

 

“Screw you, Chanyeol. I’d rather talk about him,” Jongdae replied rather breathlessly, and Chanyeol followed his gaze.

 

He caught Kris leading someone, most likely the cousin they were all talking about, to them. The black leather jacket was the first thing Chanyeol noticed. Then when his eyes finally landed on the boy’s face, it seemed as if air had been knocked out of his lungs.

 

Holy hell, that face was definitely… something. Now Chanyeol understood why Kris was so protective over him. That face could make anyone jumped on him immediately after they saw him. Even under all his neat make-up that Kris had bragged about earlier and under the dim light of the pub, Chanyeol could see how beautiful he was.

 

And then there was his body. The boy was like a kid beside Kris, and probably beside Chanyeol too, but everyone could see how gorgeous that body was. Chanyeol had never come across someone who could pull a leather jacket and pants that good. It was obvious when God made him, He was being extremely generous.

 

When Kris and his cousin finally arrived in the middle of their group, Chanyeol had to hold the urge to touch his face, to see if he was real, because how could a face as beautiful as his was real.

 

After a good few seconds, Kris placed his hand over his cousin’s shoulder and said, “Everyone, this is Baekhyun.”

 

*

 

 

Baekhyun tried really hard to keep his eyes open. Blinking a few times didn’t make it any less heavy. He didn’t get enough sleep last night, obviously, since he came to Moonstone to watch his cousin’s band and ended up staying a little longer than he expected.

 

It was his second day at his new high school, but Baekhyun already came with hangover looming over him even though he didn’t drink... that much.

 

Last night, Baekhyun didn’t intend to drink even a drop of the liquid he had been avoiding for the majority part of his life. But he should have known better when Kris introduced him to his band mates, whom of course started to insist that he should join them to drink with a getting-to-know-each-other-better excuse.

 

Baekhyun had rejected their offer, certainly. Kris, too, had firmly said that he can’t drink. But the band mates, especially the one named Jongdae, whose smile looked so mischievous, somehow managed to force him. The one with warm smile, Yixing, only laughed as he witnessed his friend’s shenanigans. While the last one, Chanyeol, who Baekhyun noticed playing his guitar on stage with so much passion, did nothing but stared at him all night.

 

When Baekhyun finally gave up and Kris was tired of getting angry at Jongdae, the former gulped down a shot. Yup, just a shot. He didn’t even know what type of drink it was. What he knew was that a minute later he already felt sick, but he could still feel an unfamiliar hand on his shoulder and a deep voice resounding in his ears saying, “Enough. He’s drunk already.”

 

That was the last thing Baekhyun remembered before his drink completely clouded his mind.

 

Putting his forehead on the cold metal surface of his locker, Baekhyun blinked a few more times to lessen his fatigue. He just wanted to lay down on his bed with a thick blanket over him with the sound of rain falling outside his window lulling him to sleep.

 

“Hey.”

 

Baekhyun jerked his head up when he heard a familiar deep voice come from behind him, and turned around quickly, too quickly. Bad move. Nausea immediately hit him and he staggered on his feet.

 

“Whoa, whoa. Easy, Baekhyun.” The owner of that deep voice, Chanyeol, apparently had an extraordinary reflex as he instantly held Baekhyun before he hit his head on his locker. “You okay?”

 

Baekhyun avoided eye contact with the tall guy in front of him and nodded fast. Another bad move. As if his nausea from earlier had gone already.

 

“That’s not very convincing.” Chanyeol chuckled.

 

That beautiful voice destroyed Baekhyun’s resistance as he couldn’t help but look up, and when he did, he almost gasped in awe. Those were the clearest brown eyes he had ever seen. The dim light of the pub last night clearly didn’t do the justice to those pretty eyes.

 

“I’m... okay,” Baekhyun finally spoke. Chanyeol didn’t talk with him at all last night, so Baekhyun didn’t really know how to react to his sudden closeness.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re still drunk.” Chanyeol let his supporting hand down and took a step back, giving the smaller boy space.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. He wasn’t going to tell him that he was such a noob high school senior boy who couldn’t drink even a shot. Chanyeol witnessing him getting drunk last night and getting flustered just now was enough.

 

Realizing that Baekhyun wasn’t going to respond, Chanyeol spoke again as his eyes traveled across the new student’s face. “You’re pretty different from last night.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t understand at first. Then he realized that Chanyeol was talking about the difference of his appearance between the night before and right now. His face was caked rather heavily last night and he wore his toughest looking attire. And now he was just an ordinary high school student. Plain and simple.

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat before he straightened out the straps of his backpack. “You’re different, too. You... speak.”

 

Chanyeol laughed. “Kris being protective over you made me think that you were the type of shy and introverted guy. But you’re actually interesting.”

 

Baekhyun tried to look unaffected when in reality he started to feel his face getting hot. The old Baekhyun would reply back normally, but now Baekhyun really didn’t know how to respond to that.

 

I’m not interesting.

 

“I’m sorry if I offended you by not talking to you last night, but it’s just that...” Chanyeol trailed off. It seemed like he needed to think of the right words to say. “...I wasn’t in my best condition.”

 

It wasn’t that Baekhyun was offended or something. He was just curious. This guy here was weirdly quiet last night, and now here he was talking to him like they actually knew each other very well.

 

There was an awkward silence between the two, and Baekhyun wished that Kris hadn’t left him in the school hallway alone. Now he seriously didn’t know how to excuse himself to go to his classroom.

 

Sensing his discomfort, Chanyeol glanced at his wrist watch. “Which class are you in, Baekhyun?”

 

“Huh? Uhm, 3-B.”

 

Baekhyun’s answer seemed troubled him, like he was contemplating something. The tall guy looked conflicted for a while, but he just smiled awkwardly after, “Do you want me to walk you there?”

 

That was an odd question. Why would Baekhyun want that? Baekhyun can’t help but raise his eyebrows and ended smiling awkwardly too, out of politeness. “Uhm, no? I can walk by myself.”

 

Chanyeol laughed again. His voice was indeed deeper than Kris’ and Baekhyun, weirdly enough, liked it. “Alright,” he shifted away. “Then I’ll get going. Drink more water so you won’t... you know,” he gestured at his head.

 

Baekhyun opened his mouth to deny him, but Chanyeol was already too far from him.

 

He ended up blushing.

 

 

*

 

 

When Kris had said that Baekhyun was off limit the night before, Chanyeol thought it was because Baekhyun was too pretty. Yea, it was no doubt that Baekhyun had that inhumanly beautiful face, especially when you saw all his features up close. But as the night turned crazier, so did how Chanyeol could see deeper into Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

One thing that Chanyeol noticed right away after each one of them were introduced, was that Baekhyun never smiled. Never did the edge of his lips pulled upward, even a little, all night.

 

It was so familiar to him. Baekhyun was familiar. Chanyeol recognized that smile-less face, those dimmed eyes, those stiff jaws.

 

Chanyeol spent all night not talking a single word to his best friend’s cousin, opted out to just observe. But when the cousin finally took a shot of a drink that apparently he can’t manage at all, those eyes changed.

 

The once blank eyes was now filled with sorrow, broken, and hurt. Baekhyun had not turned drunk by that first shot, but Chanyeol could tell that if he drank more, it would break his dam. And Chanyeol was sure that Baekhyun didn’t want anyone to witness it. That was why he had stopped Jongdae when the latter wanted to give Baekhyun another shot.

 

Chanyeol knew right then that there was a hole inside Baekhyun, similar to the one inside of him. And Chanyeol wanted to reach out toward Baekhyun, wanting to prevent the already small boy turned into a complete destruction.

 

It was just that Chanyeol wasn’t sure if he was the right person to save him.

 

 

*

 

 

Honest to God, Baekhyun hated summer. A season which had that acute uncertainty syndrome. One second it was sunshine and hot, the next second it was downpour and wet. Wasn’t summer supposed to end this month though?

 

Luck had not been in his side again today as his Spanish class came to an end, the voice of his Spanish teacher was replaced by the sound of thunder and rainfall.

 

“You coming?”

 

Baekhyun blinked and looked up at the source of the voice. Kris was standing tall beside his desk right now, with his backpack already in hand.

 

“To where?” Baekhyun asked. He wondered how Kris could be in his class, but then he remembered that this was Kris, of course he could be anywhere he wanted to be.

 

“To the cafeteria.” Kris made that slight move with his head, pointing toward the outside of the class. “You can’t go home anyway. It’s raining hard.” Kris was looking at him with the same stern face he always used which meant that it wasn’t an offer. It was a demand.

 

He actually wanted to say that he could wait here in his class. Because spending time with Kris’ friends in the middle of a packed cafeteria with students who looked for a shelter due to the rainy afternoon didn’t seem like a good idea. But since his parents and his aunt and uncle had let Kris take Baekhyun under his watch, he couldn’t really deny the order.

 

Baekhyun nodded instead. “Okay.” Then as usual, he avoided eye contact with his cousin while Kris stayed beside him as Baekhyun packed his bag, making sure that the younger cousin really followed him to the cafeteria.

 

Being cousins with Kris had more downsides than upsides. His unbelievable popularity drew extreme attraction to Baekhyun, while his initial intention moving here was to hide. Everywhere he went, whether it was with Kris or not, eyes always following him, mouth always whispering that’s Kris’ cousin.

 

The old Baekhyun would had been happy for all the overwhelming attention. But the current Baekhyun just wanted to live in the dark corner without anyone noticing.

 

The cafeteria was indeed packed. When they arrived, students had already occupied every single table there. It was like lunch break, but stuffier, because it was raining outside yet the humid air before the rain still lingered.

 

Baekhyun spotted Kris’ group of friends near the entrance. Thank God they were near. He can’t imagine what it would be like if he had to walk pass the crowd. As soon as they neared the table, Kris immediately ran and sat beside a slick long-haired girl who was probably another quick passing fling in his unending series of girlfriends.

 

Baekhyun stood there, not knowing what to do or what to say to the group. They were the same people from yesterday night. Jongdae, Yixing, and Chanyeol. And of course the long-haired girl that he had not known the name yet. But Baekhyun honestly felt terribly awkward, struggling for words to say, and came up blank.

 

“Baekhyun? That’s Baekhyun, right?” Jongdae asked, his face was unsure.

 

Kris, who was sitting in front of him, slapped Jongdae’s head across the table. His hands were just so long. “Stop being stupid.” Then he turned to Baekhyun. “What are you doing there? Sit down.”

 

Baekhyun nodded and pulled out an empty chair in between Kris and Yixing while at the same time Jongdae tilted his head to examine the new comer. “Wow, Baekhyun, you look different. You were so y with all that eyeliner, and now you’re like an innocent geeky high school boy.”

 

“Seriously, stop, Jongdae. Before I kick your balls,” Kris deadpanned, and the girl beside him giggled.

 

“I meant no offense. Both version of you are amazing.” Jongdae grinned and Baekhyun honestly had no response to that.

 

Baekhyun can see that Jongdae was that type of guy who spoke up everything that came to his mind. There seemed to be no filter to his mouth. Baekhyun used to be like that, too. And he wondered if he made people uncomfortable too back then.

 

“How are you today, Baekhyun?” Beside him, Yixing turned his body around, facing Baekhyun completely. “You were wasted last night. I’m really sorry.”

 

Yixing was the sweet guy type. That kind of person who had the purest heart and was just really kind. He also had the most perfect life, based on the story he told last night. People might think that this type of person would live a boring life because everything went smoothly for them. But Baekhyun would’ve traded his life with that type of life any second if he could.

 

“I’m fine.” Baekhyun nodded, silently refusing to face Yixing. He knew that it was rude, especially as Yixing had already turned his body to face him. But it was Baekhyun’s current best skill, avoiding eye contacts with people.

 

“You still remember us, right?” Jongdae asked, snickering. “You probably didn’t remember Chanyeol, though. He didn’t speak at all last night.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes immediately found Chanyeol, who was sitting beside Jongdae, he was also looking directly at Baekhyun. Everyone was looking at him expectantly, and Baekhyun started to feel suffocated, so he put his head down. Uncontrollably, images flashed across Baekhyun’s eyes. He remembered how people back in his hometown always looked at him with judging eyes.

 

Just as he started to have trouble breathing, he was suddenly pulled out of it as he heard a voice, right near him.

 

“Baekhyun.”

 

It was Chanyeol’s, and he had his hand underneath Baekhyun’s chin, forcing him to look up. And Baekhyun was face to face directly with him.

 

“Why are you always looking downwards? I’m right here,” he said with an almost blank face, but Baekhyun could trace a bit of curiosity in his eyes. “I was telling Jongdae that you remember me because we talked this morning. Am I right?”

 

Baekhyun swallowed his own spit which had turned into a rock in his throat. Chanyeol’s touch had make him go auto pilot as he could feel his head nodding without his permission.

 

Chanyeol smiled, not a full smile with all his teeth showing off, instead it was a tight-lipped smile, and Baekhyun felt the rope tied tight around his heart earlier loosening as he witnessed that smile right in front of his eyes.

 

“Who says you can touch him, Chanyeol?” Kris slapped Chanyeol’s hand away, not hard, but his authoritative voice snapped Baekhyun out of his trance and Chanyeol retreated his hand.

 

Baekhyun’s head got back down.

 

*

 

 

It wasn’t a rare sight for anyone to see Chanyeol up in the air while he jumped with his glorious height, trying to score points for his basketball team. He, along with Kris, was the school’s aces in both the arts and sports department for their band and basketball expertise.

 

Since that faithful day that changed his life upside down, Chanyeol had stopped playing basketball. He felt like he didn’t deserve to live. He felt like he was unworthy of the things that brought happiness in life. And basketball happened to be one of those things.

 

It wasn’t until he met his band mates in high school and got a strong push from them that Chanyeol finally made up his mind to get back to the shooting hoops. And he didn’t regret his decision.

 

Playing music and basketball almost had the same effect on him. They made him come out of the remaining black holes within him. And they certainly prevented him from being a ticking time bomb.

 

Chanyeol had lost track of how many shots he had make since he started this morning practice at the school’s gym before the school hour. The sound of the gym’s metal entrance door opening made him stop in his tracks, followed by the sound of a familiar voice of his basketball captain, Kris. It took some time for Chanyeol to catch his breath and realize that the captain had brought someone along with him into the hall.

 

He surprised himself when he breathed out the name of the person who had been occupying his mind lately. “Baekhyun.”

 

“You’re early today.” Kris’ voice sliced through the empty gym, echoing into every corner.

 

Chanyeol didn’t respond and just stood there on his spot with his face flushed because of the intense training he had been doing by himself. But across the gym, he could see Baekhyun looking as fresh as ever, and all of a sudden breathing got easier.

 

Baekhyun’s expression was similar. That blank yet tense face which Chanyeol hated so much and wanted to get rid off. The only time he was unguarded was the second after he gulped down that drink a few nights ago. As much as Chanyeol longed to see Baekhyun loosen up, getting him drunk wasn’t an option.

 

Kris grabbed Baekhyun’s hand and pulled him, approaching Chanyeol. “You finished your set?” Kris asked.

 

Chanyeol put his attention to Kris for the first time since the two cousins came in together. It was just hard to focus on anything else when Chanyeol grew more desperate by the minute, wanting to trace his fingers across Baekhyun’s beautiful face.

 

“Yeah, I’m done,” he finally answered.

 

“Good,” Kris took off his backpack and dumped it on the side of the court. “Keep an eye on Baekhyun, will you?” He tapped Chanyeol’s shoulder, and without sparing a glance at a flustered Baekhyun, Kris dashed out of the gym to run a few laps.

 

“You don’t have to be afraid of me, you know?” The words came out before Chanyeol could hold it back. He almost felt bad, because if anything, Baekhyun looked even more alert now. “Let’s sit on the bench while waiting for your cousin.” When Chanyeol moved to sit on the wooden bench and Baekhyun still didn’t move, he sighed and tapped the seat beside him. “Come on, Baekhyun. You can’t just stand there.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t react immediately, to which Chanyeol turned weary because the smaller may not be comfortable enough to actually answer with I can and will just stand there until Kris came back. But after a few second of what seemed like an inner battle with himself, Baekhyun walked up to him and sat on the same bench with a considerable amount of distance between them.

 

Chanyeol’s lips was having a battle between keeping it straight and smiling. And there was something strange happening with his heart, too. If Kris came to know about this, he would never let Chanyeol keep an eye on Baekhyun ever again. He was probably the most dangerous person to be around his cousin right now.

 

Neither of them spoke nor moved for a while. Chanyeol was still focusing on calming his breathing and heartbeat from all the running around he did in the court for one hour and a half nonstop. While Baekhyun... Chanyeol will never know what was going on inside his head.

 

“So, how’s Gangwon-do Yanggu?” Chanyeol asked, after a few moments of debating with himself which question he should approach the smaller with that will not scare him off. “I never go there.”

 

Fortunately, the question didn’t seem to make Baekhyun writhe away. He only shifted his position a little and answered without looking at Chanyeol. “Yanggu is okay, I guess. There are many mountains, so even if it was summer, it’s never as hot as Seoul.”

 

“It’s always cool there?”

 

Baekhyun nodded. There was a trace of a smile on his face. A new expression.

 

“It must be hard for you, then, coming here in the middle of summer.” Chanyeol tried to make the conversation light.

 

He nodded again. But Chanyeol wasn’t sure if his agreement was meant for the weather or for other things.

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun’s hand on his laps. He didn’t know why he didn’t notice it earlier. Baekhyun’s hands were so slender, dainty, and so soft. There was this urge to cover Baekhyun’s hand with his. But Chanyeol opted out with scooting closer to the boy beside him, just a little, because for the life of him Chanyeol just couldn’t stay away any longer.

 

“How about your family?” Chanyeol asked again. “They stay there?”

 

Baekhyun answered with a short “yeah”. Chanyeol waited for him to continue, but the smaller boy didn’t seem have any intention to talk about his family in Yanggu.

 

“Is this going to be a thing?” he asked again. This time Chanyeol didn’t try to stare at Baekhyun in discreet and went all out.

 

Baekhyun turned to him, and stared with the beautiful eyes of his. “What?”

 

“You going everywhere Kris goes,” Chanyeol stated. Seeing him today tagging along with Kris to the morning practice really made him wonder.

 

Baekhyun broke the eye contact between them and started to play with his own fingers. “I think so.”

 

“Why is he so protective over you, Baekhyun?  I mean he has never mentioned you all this time. We didn’t even know that he had cousin that mattered to him because he never said anything.”

 

Seeing Baekhyun bit his lips, Chanyeol realized that he had chosen a sensitive subject. It wasn’t his area to touch. But, surprisingly, Baekhyun answered him. “I’m under his watch.”

 

Why?

 

Chanyeol wanted to ask further, but he knew he can’t. Or else Baekhyun might run away. So he cleared his thorat and asked another question instead. “What did you do in Yanggu? Part of any clubs?”

 

There was an apparent sigh of relief coming from Baekhyun, and Chanyeol partly felt glad that he chose the right move. “I was part of the swimming club,” Baekhyun answered, the faint smile back on his face.

 

“Really?” So that’s where the gorgeous body comes from. “Were you good? We have swimming club here, you know?”

 

Shaking his head, Baekhyun looked at him. “I don’t have any plan to join any club here.”

 

Another why came up in Chanyeol’s mind. But he chose to pretend that he understood. Before Chanyeol could ask the next question, Kris had come back with the rest of other basketball club members.

 

 

*

 

 

“I thought you, of all people, would understand when I said that he is off limits.”

 

Kris leaned his body against the locker beside Chanyeol’s, his hands crossed in front of his broad chest. His eyebrows were raised, turning his face somewhat scary. But Chanyeol knew his best friend better. This expression meant he was insecure.

 

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol asked as soon as he put everything he needed back into his backpack and closed his locker door.

 

“You like him, don’t you? You like Baekhyun. I saw the way you looked at him.” Kris straightened up his posture, towering over him. That was his way to intimidate someone by using his incredible height.

 

“I don’t understand.” Chanyeol still didn’t know if he did like Baekhyun. They had known each other for only a few days, so he can’t really say if he liked him or not. But Chanyeol surely felt the pull Baekhyun had, the control Baekhyun already had over him. And Chanyeol was surprised that it was apparent to someone. But it was Kris he was talking about. He noticed things.

 

Kris ran his hand over his hair. His expression softened as he exhaled heavily. “Chanyeol, I really love Baekhyun.”

 

“I know.” Chanyeol nodded.

 

Kris sighed. “Man, if I could choose one person on this planet for him, it would be you, really. But for now,” he paused, looking conflicted. “Just don’t do it. Baekhyun has issues. And you, no offense, your record isn’t flawless either.”

 

Chanyeol honestly took offense to that. But he kept the bitterness in his throat and continued to listen.

 

“Baekhyun already has enough in his life, Chanyeol. He needs someone who can support him, take care of him. Not someone... as broken as him.”

 

It hurt to hear it from your own best friend’s mouth. Kris was one of a few people who supported him the most during his difficult time. Chanyeol always felt grateful that he had Kris as his friend, but this was the first time where he wasn’t on Chanyeol’s side.

 

Chanyeol wanted the best for Baekhyun, too. He wanted to see the real Baekhyun underneath all his masks. He wanted to see the Baekhyun that Kris loved. So Chanyeol forced a smile on his face and nodded with his stiff neck. “Don’t worry. We’re just friends.”

 

But as Chanyeol thought, Kris knew him inside out. He saw things the others cannot see. The captain sighed heavily again and prepared to leave for home as he said, “You’re not very convincing.”

 

 

*

 

 

It was weekend. The weather outside was hot, making the air inside the house to be kind of humid. Baekhyun didn’t get out his bedroom even though he could feel the heat slowly burning him. He had skipped breakfast, but it wouldn’t be that easy to ditch lunch if his aunt asked him to come out later.

 

His aunt and uncle were soft to him. They always smiled and nodded with everything Baekhyun said, afraid that if they argued, Baekhyun will break down. As if he was that weak.

 

He was lucky that Kris was busy with band practice in the house basement with his group of talented friends, so he didn’t have the time to pull Baekhyun out of his safe yet hot cocoon. If he, in the end, still had to go out, he hoped he wouldn’t meet Kris’ friends, especially Chanyeol. He can’t face him right now, or ever. Chanyeol made him feel things. He wasn’t supposed to feel anything.

 

There was a knock on his door just as he was about to turn on his laptop, planning to stream some movies. He waited for a while, thinking that it might be just a hallucination, but another knock came and his uncle’s voice followed. “Baekhyun, it’s lunch time.”

 

Baekhyun couldn’t help but sigh. He hoped his uncle didn’t hear it, because his uncle had a really soft heart, and if he heard Baekhyun’s sigh, he would be hurt. He would assume that Baekhyun had yet to be comfortable with them. But really, it wasn’t that Baekhyun didn’t want to be with them. It was more to do with Baekhyun knowing that this family was better off without him. Everyone was better without him.

 

He got down from his bed anyway. He didn’t want to cause any more trouble than not going outside of this house the whole first week he was here. That was before it was scheduled for Baekhyun to start his semester here.

 

When Baekhyun opened the door, Uncle Wu wasn’t there. He was helping Aunt setting up the table, so Baekhyun decided to walk out his room and help.

 

When Baekhyun was little, he often visited this house, playing with Uncle Wu, eating Aunt Wu’s chocolate cookies, and having a sleep over with Kris while giggling over a Pororo episode they watched in the afternoon. Baekhyun wished he could be a little boy again.

 

When Baekhyun approached his aunt to bring the big pot of soup from the kitchen, his aunt yelped in surprise. “Oh, sweetheart. You don’t have to.”

 

Baekhyun tried to smile. “It’s okay. I’m doing nothing, anyway.”

 

“Thank you, Baekhyun,” she said with that genuine, grateful smile.

 

It had been so long since Baekhyun saw his aunt truly smile at him, not just a mere pitiful smile. He almost returned it, but decided to keep walking to the dining table, joining Uncle Wu. “Where should I put this?” he asked. The table was packed with many dishes. Baekhyun quietly bit his lips. Seemed like lunch will involve more people than usual.

 

“Anywhere is fine, Baekhyun. Thank you for helping,” Uncle’s voice was warm, which made Baekhyun feel like a jerk, for not wanting to engage in things like this with his family.

 

“Don’t mention it.”

 

“I’m really happy you’re willing to eat with us today. I haven’t eaten together with you because you’re always already in your room every time I come home from work.”

 

Now Baekhyun felt so much worse. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t be.” Uncle Wu came toward Baekhyun and patted his head softly. “Take your time.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t have any power to keep his head straight up as he felt tears starting to brim at the corner of his eyes. He squeezed the hem of his shirt tightly, his throat was hurting.

 

Uncle Wu probably sensed it, so he gave him one last strong pat on his shoulder before retreating his hand and turning around to his seat. “Go get Kris and the others, will you?”

 

Baekhyun nodded and kept his head down for the rest of his short journey to the basement.

 

 

*

 

 

Chanyeol didn’t like it when people touched his guitar, because they’ll ruin it, whether with or without the intention to. And now he needed to work with his guitar because his best friend had borrowed his guitar without permission when he went to the restroom, and unintentionally changed the strings. Chanyeol wanted to strangle his neck, but unfortunately, Jongdae needed his throat to work well for their upcoming gig.

 

“Why is Chanyeol such a child?” Jongdae snickered. “He looked like a child whose toy just got broken.”

 

Chanyeol kept quiet. He knew better than bickering with that prick.

 

“I’m hungry. When will we eat?” Now Yixing was the one who spoke up when the basement fell into silent. Kris was slouching on the lousy old couch and busy playing with his phone, probably texting his girlfriend, to even bother with his group bantering.

 

Chanyeol had his own questions looming inside his head. Where was Baekhyun? Can he meet him? He had not meet him for a few days, and it started to drive him nuts. After Kris’ confrontation, Chanyeol tried hard to avoid Baekhyun. But it was really hard. Chanyeol missed him.

 

But he didn’t say anything and focused on his guitar before Jongdae talked, “Hey, I heard a rumor about Baekhyun.”

 

That was when Kris finally tore his sight away from the screen of his phone. “A what?”

 

Chanyeol too had abandoned his initial aim to work on his guitar.

 

“There’s a rumor going around for a few days,” Jongdae’s expression somehow turned serious. That was definitely a rare moment.  “There’s a student who has a cousin who lives in Gangwon-do Yanggu, Baekhyun’s hometown. And his cousin knew what happened with Baekhyun. You know, because Yanggu is a small city and apparently everyone knows each other’s stories.”

 

Now the basement was silent, eerily. Chanyeol’s heart beat so fast that he could hear it clearly. And he didn’t have the gut to turn around facing Kris, to see the guy’s reaction.

 

“What did they say?” Kris finally said, his voice low. “What did they exactly say about him?”

 

“Nothing offensive, really. They said...” Jongdae trailed and clasped both of his hands together. It was obvious that he was nervous. “He witnessed a murder. Right in front of him. With his own eyes.”

 

“Is that the reason he moved here?” Yixing looked at Kris and Jongdae back and forth. “Or is that the reason he’s always so quiet?”

 

No one said anything after that. Everyone was waiting for Kris, the overprotective cousin, to speak up, to clear it up. God, Chanyeol really wished that Kris will clear that up. That the rumor was wrong. That Baekhyun didn’t witness anything, especially not a murder. Baekhyun didn’t deserve it. No one deserved to see something as cruel as that.

 

Chanyeol took a glance on Kris. The guy’s grip on his phone was hard, almost like he would break it. But it was expression that managed to catch Chanyeol’s attention. There was confliction, he was conflicted. And Chanyeol slowly started to breathe again. Kris’ expression wasn’t like a rabbit caught in the act. That was something relieving.

 

“Is that true?” Chanyeol voiced out his thought for the first time. He can’t keep quiet anymore.

 

Kris looked at him. He was about to open his mouth when there was a knock on the basement door. Everyone was startled and they all stopped moving.

 

“Yeah?” Kris answered loudly. “Come in.”

 

Baekhyun emerged from behind the old metal door. His face was make-up free, like his usual face in school. This was the first time Chanyeol saw the combination of Baekhyun’s clean face and casual clothes. And he still looked amazing.

 

“It’s lunch time,” Baekhyun mumbled, glancing at Chanyeol for a second before his eyes were back at his cousin.

 

“Right. Let’s eat.” Kris got up from the couch. His previous conflicted expression had changed into his usual one.

 

When Kris got out of the studio, the others followed suit. None of them spared a glance at Baekhyun, clearly still affected by the previous talk. But Chanyeol stayed on his seat, eyes never leaving Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun fidgeted. “You’re not coming?”

 

“There’s a problem with my guitar. You wanna help?”

 

He fidgeted even more, biting his lips as he looked upstairs, as if checking that no one would come look for him. “What’s wrong with it?” he asked as he came closer.

 

Chanyeol didn’t expect him to actually approach him and sit beside him. “Jongdae messed with the strings. Are you familiar with guitar?”

 

“Not at all.” Baekhyun shook his head. But his face was curious. “Since when did you start playing guitar?”

 

That was the first question about Chanyeol that Baekhyun threw at him, after all this time. It seemed ridiculous how Chanyeol’s heart felt like bursting at the mere thought the boy just asking about him out of curiosity.

 

“Since I met Kris and the other, the beginning of our first year.”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “I really wish I had learnt to play an instrument. You’re good at everything, Chanyeol.”

 

Well, Chanyeol definitely wasn’t good at hiding his feeling in front of Baekhyun, and it just hit him that this was also the first time Baekhyun had said his name. Not knowing what to say, Chanyeol cleared his throat. “Well, you’re good at swimming I suppose.”

 

Baekhyun smiled weakly. “Not anymore. Obviously I’m out of shape right now.”

 

“You used to not smiling at all. Now you smile once in a while. It means you could get back in the pool again,” Chanyeol blurted out, without thinking. He wanted to slap himself for saying that because now Baekhyun seemed uncomfortable. “Do you want to teach me how to swim? I can’t swim.” Is this how I’m really asking him out? It had been three years since the last time Chanyeol asked someone out. He had lost his touch, failing miserably.

 

An awkward silence stretched between them as Chanyeol heard someone stepping down the stairs.  And before he could force a smile on his face, hoping that Baekhyun will say yes, the latter already got up and said, “How about next weekend? I don’t know where though.”

 

Caught off guard, Chanyeol spent a brief moment to come up with a respond. He didn’t really know if there was swimming pool in the area. He took a mental note for his future date that he needed to check the location first before asking out.

 

“I’ll tell you the place,” he ended up saying, a few seconds before someone came up from the door. It was Aunt Wu.

 

“Kids, the soup’s getting cold. Hurry up,” she said, and Chanyeol was forced to fight the urge to break his face with a big smile for the rest of the afternoon.

 

 

*

 

 

Chanyeol took a deep breath, exhaled slowly, and eyeing the doorbell of Kris’ house with burning eyes.

 

He was sure that Baekhyun was devil in disguise. How could he promise a date for a whole upcoming week, making him suffered from waiting this day to come? Well, Chanyeol knew that it would be inconvenient if they went swimming during the weekdays, but this one week was spent by Chanyeol with his heart beating fast every time he saw Baekhyun, remembering their upcoming date.

 

He was pathetic. Baekhyun probably didn’t think even the slightest that this was a date. But Chanyeol was hopeless, so he would take anything as a date, forgetting his promise to Kris that he will remain only as friends with his little cousin.

 

He should’ve learnt about Baekhyun in the seven days of his waiting days so the date could go well. Instead, he got nothing but the usual quiet and only-smile-once-in-a-while Baekhyun, and also rumors about him roaming around the school.

 

Chanyeol was thankful that Baekhyun wasn’t affected by the rumor. If anything, he spent more time with their group, and already looked a little more comfortable with them, not like usual where it looked like he would pass out because of lack of oxygen like the first couple of times.

 

Now Chanyeol was the one who felt like passing out. He didn’t know why he was so nervous. He kept saying to himself that this was nothing. He just hoped he wouldn’t do anything stupid to make things awkward, or even worse, Baekhyun avoiding him. That was the last thing Chanyeol wanted right now, and that was why he said to himself repeatedly, keep it casual, keep it casual, keep it casual.

 

When he finally pushed the doorbell, it didn’t take a long time for it to be answered. Just as he expected, it was Kris.

 

“Hey.” Chanyeol waved, rather awkwardly.

 

Kris’s face turned sour. “ off,” he said as he moved to close the door.

 

“No, no, wait.” Chanyeol put his hand on the door, trying to hold it open. “Look, we’re just going to swim.”

 

Kris knew about their plan today. Of course Chanyeol already told him. He wouldn’t be able to bring Baekhyun out if he didn’t get Kris’ permission. Since the first time Kris knew, he didn’t receive the news well. Chanyeol had expected it though.

 

“It’s not just a swimming practice for you. I know you too well, you sly fox.”

 

If they weren’t in the middle of a heated situation, Chanyeol would laugh. Who said sly fox nowadays? Even his grandfather didn’t.

 

“Well.” Chanyeol honestly cannot retort to that accusation. “Whatever you say, it’s still just a swimming practice. I won’t do anything to him. I swear or you can kill me.”

 

“I’ll kill you if you even think about it,” he warned, and paused, waiting for Chanyeol’s response. After Chanyeol nodded, he turned around. “Wait here.”

 

Well, that went smoother than Chanyeol had expected.

 

The summer was almost over, and the weather wasn’t as savage, but Chanyeol already started sweating. It was the perfect day for swimming.

 

And there was Baekhyun, walking toward the door with casual white short-sleeve t-shirt and knee-length short, and a small backpack slung over one of his shoulders.

 

Chanyeol nearly fainted by the sight of him. Baekhyun was too adorable. But he quickly gathered himself. “Hey, you ready?”

 

“Yeah,” Baekhyun nodded. Looking around into the house, and loudly announcing, “I’m going.” Then he got out of the house and closed the door behind him.

 

It took a few moments of awkward staring before Chanyeol grinned and broke the ice. “Let’s go?”

 

 

*

 

 

With this type of weather, Baekhyun thought the pool would be packed, plus it was weekend. But it turned out to be deserted. After experiencing an awkward silence during the walk to pool, Baekhyun had actually hoped for the pool to be occupied by at least a few people so he wouldn’t experience any awkwardness of being alone again with Chanyeol. But to his despair... well, luck had never been on his side for so long.

 

Baekhyun dipped both of his legs on the pool, testing the water, as he sat down near the edge, waiting for Chanyeol to finish changing. Baekhyun took the time to scan the area. It had been months since the last time he stepped his foot into a pool. There was an exciting feeling bubbling inside of him, and he almost can’t wait for Chanyeol to return. So, he distracted himself by observing some people around the pool. Besides him and Chanyeol, there was only a group of family of three and one lifeguard, whose name was Hyojin, or so Chanyeol had told him.

 

The lifeguard waved at him, probably noticed that Baekhyun was staring too long at her, or probably because she was just being friendly, thinking that he was Chanyeol’s friend. Baekhyun almost waved back, raising one hand up in the air, but something in him stopped him. Instead, he put on a forced little smile, and turned his head around.

 

Chanyeol returned a minute later. He was wearing the same thing as Baekhyun, a knee-length short. Baekhyun had to admit Chanyeol had a nice body. The guy was ripped.

 

“I have to be honest.” Chanyeol joined him by the pool. Baekhyun could see how long his legs were with half of them uncovered like that. “I can’t swim,” Chanyeol confessed.

 

“At all?”

 

Chanyeol played with his legs, the water splashed below him. “Just a little bit. Like very little.”

 

He looked so nervous that Baekhyun smiled unintentionally. Chanyeol was so good at almost everything that it felt weird to see him being insecure about something.

 

“It’s okay. Let’s go,” Baekhyun said as he threw himself to the water, immediately going into serious mode. His body seemed to still remember the movements although he had not been practicing for a long time. After a while, he started to feel comfortable.

 

 

*

 

 

Baekhyun was definitely something. His swimming was no joke. His skill could be at a national athlete level. He was that good. Chanyeol obviously didn’t expect it.

 

He didn’t mean to get dramatic, but his sort of swimming practice was starting to drain all of his energy.

 

Chanyeol touched the edge of the pool as he emerged from the water, the droplets of water streamed down his face as he gasped for air. stroke was freaking hard it was killing his lungs.

 

Meanwhile, Baekhyun beside him was still as gorgeous beyond anything. Chanyeol resist the violent urge to do something to him every time the swimmer came near or touched him without a thought as he taught Chanyeol how to swim.

 

Chanyeol was out of control. This was definitely the worst idea for a first date. It was torturing him.

 

“You’re pretty good.”

 

“Yeah?” Chanyeol swept his hand across his face, wiping the water off of it. “I’m dying though.”

 

“Your breathing technique was good, probably because you’re an athlete yourself. You’re exhausted because the timing between your hands and feet were messy.”

 

Chanyeol could barely remember his name back then because how good looking Baekhyun was, let alone remember to smoothen the rhythm of his feet and hands movement.

 

“You’re very good at this. Ever joined a championship?”

 

Baekhyun laid his back on the water, doing a backstroke slowly only with his feet, while both of his hand remained motionless at his sides. Chanyeol followed, walking through the water beside him.

 

“A couple of times,” he answered. The bright yellow light of the sun caught his skin, making him glow.

 

“Liar,” Chanyeol teased almost immediately.

 

And there was his light smile again. “Well, a few couple of times.”

 

“Won any medals?”

 

They reached the end of the pool by the time Baekhyun said, “Gold once and silver three times.”

 

Chanyeol’s mouth dropped open into a small O. “Wow.”

 

“It’s seriously nothing. Yanggu is a small city.”

 

“But still, you’re great.”

 

Chanyeol felt Baekhyun’s eyes linger a little longer on him. He hated how those beautiful eyes were clouded with doubt, as if calculating the honesty in Chanyeol’s words.

 

“Thank you,” Baekhyun finally said, not more than a whisper. “Should we go now? You don’t have any plan for today?”

 

“Nope. Honestly, I can’t really think of anything else besides coming here with you. You?”

 

There was an evident pink color spreading across the cheeks of the boy in front of him. Baekhyun shook his head slightly. How cute.

 

“Do you want to come by my house?” Chanyeol suggested. “You’ve shown me how to swim, and this time, I’ll treat you to a free lunch at my house.”

 

“Wait, I don’t need you to pay me back.”

 

“Oh, come on.” Chanyeol grabbed the edge of the pool, putting all of his strength to his hands, and pulled himself out of the pool. “It’s still morning. We have more times before Kris could wonder where you are.”

 

*

 

 

 

“Sometimes I get ignored, you know. He wouldn’t take any opinions or critics against his own perception. He’s just selfish like that, sometimes. But he’s cool, and sassy. God, don’t get me started on his sass, it’s annoying. And then I just have to it all up, because he’s the freaking captain.”

 

The whole time he talked, Chanyeol was walking backwards, facing Baekhyun. The latter honestly didn’t understand why would he do that, but he supposed Chanyeol was a unique creature. Rather than beating himself for why Chanyeol talking to him about Kris with so much interest, Baekhyun was too busy thinking of a quick reason to bail on this plan of visiting Chanyeol’s house.

 

This was a stupid idea. As the thought of him going to Chanyeol’s house finally sank in, Baekhyun realized that this was a mistake. He wasn’t supposed to make friends, wasn’t supposed to get close to anyone, let alone going to visit someone’s house.

 

He had gone too deep.

 

“Baekhyun? You’re okay?”

 

“What?” Baekhyun blinked. Chanyeol wasn’t in front of him anymore, walking backward. He was beside him now, staring at him. Something about Chanyeol’s warm eyes made him woke up from his daze. “I’m okay. Sorry, I was lost in my thought.”

 

“As long as you’re okay.” Chanyeol put both of his hand behind his head. “I understand you’re bored because we talked about Kris.”

 

That almost made Baekhyun laugh, but he held it in. “Kris is not that bad.”

 

“You mean the person or the talk?” Chanyeol was looking at him with playful eyes this time. God, his eyes were so beautiful it’s impossible to look away.

 

“The talk. And the person, of course.”

 

And then there was his smile. Baekhyun wanted to be able to smile so bright and genuine like that.

 

“I’m starting to think that you actually like me talking.” Chanyeol rubbed his nape.

 

Baekhyun wouldn’t admit that he enjoyed listening to Chanyeol’s voice. Nope. But Chanyeol always had this thing that Baekhyun couldn’t grasp as to why he could make Baekhyun stop shutting everything off and actually listen.

 

“So,” the taller of the two began again. “That house at the end of the street is my house. My mom’s probably home. And I should tell you in advance, that she’ll freak out when she know that I bring a friend.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Not freak out in a bad way. She’ll just turn extremely happy when I brought friends.”

 

“Kris and the others have never been to your house?”

 

“I mean a friend other than my band mates,” he explained as he locked his eyes on Baekhyun’s. “I don’t exactly have many friends, Baekhyun.”

 

Really?

 

Somehow the thought of Chanyeol not having many friends didn’t fit well in Baekhyun’s head.

 

“So, yeah. If she freaks out, I’m sorry. She’ll probably, like, hug the life out of you or something.”

 

Baekhyun nodded, suddenly wondering if his appearance was okay. At least now his hair had dried. He wanted to look presentable in front of Chanyeol’s mom. He didn’t want his messy appearance freak her out even more.

 

As soon as they arrived, Chanyeol took no time to get inside, dragging Baekhyun along, although he thought Chanyeol would have asked him to wait outside first.

 

His house was nothing grant, but it wasn’t like a pile of shaft either. It was actually lovely, warm house. Baekhyun liked it, more than the house he currently lived in, Kris’ house. And he quickly felt guilty. Kris’ family had taken him so openly, and he was being an ungrateful little .

 

But, really, Baekhyun liked Chanyeol’s house. And a warm feeling quickly spread within him, knowing that Chanyeol grew up in this beautiful house.

 

“Mother? I’m home,” Chanyeol’s voice boomed throughout the house, making him jump a little. Baekhyun still hadn’t gotten used to that deep voice.

 

Unsurprisingly, a woman who Baekhyun assumed was Chanyeol’s mother came out from the kitchen. It was amazing how fast she smiled when she spotted Chanyeol.

 

“Sweetheart,” cooed the petite middle-aged woman, as she took off her apron and put it on a hook in the wall.

 

“Hi, Mom. I brought a friend.” Chanyeol put a hand around Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 

His mother’s smile was so endearing that Baekhyun suddenly missed his mother. That was weird, because Baekhyun hadn’t think, or rather tried not think, about his parents since he arrived at Seoul.

 

“Oh my God, hi,” she greeted in a really high pitch tone, and Baekhyun thought her smile can rip her face for how wide her smile was. “How rude I am for not noticing you there.”

 

Baekhyun forced a smile when Chanyeol’s mother walked around the living room, approaching them. “It’s fine. I’m Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun’s initial intention was to bow, doing the formal greeting, but Chanyeol’s mother was fast. Before he knew, the hand that wrapped around his shoulder wasn’t Chanyeol’s anymore, it was his mother’s now, wrapping him with two full hands.

 

“Hmmph,” a weird sound unintentionally came out from Baekhyun’s mouth. He forcefully lowered his body so the woman can hug him easily. Her friendliness reminded him a lot of his own mother.

 

“Mom, you’re choking him.” Baekhyun heard Chanyeol chuckle beside him.

 

“Oops, I’m sorry.” She laughed, then let him go. “I’m just always so happy seeing Chanyeol’s friend. So, new friend?”

 

“Baekhyun is Kris’s cousin. He lived with Kris here in Seoul now,” Chanyeol explained for Baekhyun. And Baekhyun thanked him for that.

 

“No wonder you’re so good looking. I bet your family has that gene from the handsome prince’s empire,” she giggled, and it was kind of contagious.

 

“I don’t think so.” Baekhyun laughed. A genuine laugh just worked its way out of his mouth. He almost can’t believe he just did that.

 

“You’re such a sweet kid.” She looked at Chanyeol. “You always choose sweet and kind friends.”

 

Baekhyun barely spoke five sentences but Chanyeol’s mother already said he was sweet and kind. It was strange how Baekhyun felt devastated and happy at the same time.

 

And then there was Chanyeol staring at him with those warm eyes, once again making him feel things. This flood of unnecessary feelings was starting to suffocate him. Most likely because Baekhyun tried so hard to press it down.

 

“Have you boys eaten yet? I made some fried chicken.”

 

“It’s okay, Mom. We’ll wait until lunch,” Chanyeol assured as he put his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder, again.

 

Chanyeol’s mom looked slightly dejected that Baekhyun felt bad. He cleared his throat and said, “Maybe a drink?”

 

She looked surprised. “A drink. Of course, oh my god. What’s wrong with me today? Why am I so rude to my Chanyeollie’s guest?”

 

Baekhyun tried to ignore the term of endearment he just heard. Chanyeollie. He needed to admit that it was so cute that his tongue froze for a second.

 

“I’ll make something. Baekhyun, you sit,” Chanyeol said as he guided the smaller boy to the couch. Baekhyun couldn’t really object to that. “Could you accompany him, Mom?”

 

“You don’t have to. I’m fine.” Baekhyun didn’t know who that sentence was for. For Chanyeol making him something to drink or for Chanyeol’s mother going to accompany him.

 

And unsurprisingly, both Chanyeol and his mom told him at the same time, “It’s okay.” Then they looked at each other and laughed together. For a moment, Baekhyun felt out of place.

 

Chanyeol’s mother sat down beside Baekhyun as her son walked backward toward the kitchen. “What do you want, Baekhyun? Mom?”

 

Baekhyun answered, “Just tea,” at the same time Chanyeol’s mom said, “I’m good.”

 

Chanyeol smiled and did something unexpected that threw Baekhyun completely off guard. He winked. To him. Chanyeol was surely confusing the hell out of him.

 

As soon as Chanyeol disappeared into the kitchen, Chanyeol’s mother grabbed Baekhyun’s full attention as she scooted closer to him, her eyes gleaming with curiosity.

 

“So, where are you from, sweetheart?”

 

Baekhyun tried to accept that endearment though he wanted to protest that there was no way he was a sweetheart, not even near. “From Gangwon-do Yanggu. I came here three weeks ago.”

 

Baekhyun can see she wanted to ask further about this matter, but she swallowed it in. Instead, she changed the topic. “Chanyeol said he was going swimming. I was surprised because he never had an interest in swimming. Besides, he can’t swim. But now I can see why he was so eager this morning. Turned out he got a new friend.”

 

“Chanyeol is a really good friend.” Baekhyun nodded.

 

A small smile spread over Chanyeol’s mom’s face. “Aww, sweetheart. Yes, he is. I’m just so happy that he got back to normal, making friends, hanging out.”

 

Baekhyun raised hiw brows. One word caught his interest. “Normal?”

 

The woman didn’t immediately respond to that. She studied him, with those familiar warm eyes. After a while, she smiled again. “Let’s just say that Chanyeol used to be really quiet. He had a lot going on back then, before he got to meet Kris, Jongdae, and Yixing.”

 

This was the first time Baekhyun heard that. There wasn’t even a fraction of thought that Chanyeol would be quiet, as in Baekhyun’s opinion, Chanyeol was the epitome of fun.

 

“I didn’t know that.” Baekhyun could only respond with that.

 

“He’s getting much better now, thanks to his best friends. But I know that he’s still suffering here and there.”

 

Baekhyun wanted to look away because he could see her eyes started to pool up with tears. But then he spotted Chanyeol coming out from the kitchen, and suddenly he felt like he just got punched in the gut as he realized that his eyes were probably too clouded with his own darkness that made him neglect his surrounding, for all this time he spent with Chanyeol, it was the first time that Baekhyun could see through beneath those warm eyes of Chanyeol’s.

 

Chanyeol had the same darkness he had.

 

 

*

 

 

“I thought Baekhyun is off-limit.”

 

Chanyeol seriously considered whether he should rip off Jongdae’s mouth or not. The guy just couldn’t seem to shut up and had not stop whining about the same thing over and over since morning.

 

“He is,” Kris stated simply. Chanyeol was glad that there was a girl, a new girl, beside the captain. Or else he was sure the captain would flip.

 

“Then why did Chanyeol get a chance to go out on a date with him?”

 

Chanyeol held down a groan. This was his own fault, he knew. He blurted it out this morning that he had a fun weekend with Baekhyun at the swimming pool.

 

“It’s not a date,” Chanyeol decided to say, although deep down he still considered it as a date. But Kris was in front of him, and Chanyeol didn’t want to risk his life.

 

“It’s not fair. I want to have a date with him too.” Jongdae pouted.

 

Yixing finished his ice cream and smiled contentedly. He was strange enough to have an ice cream for lunch. “How was your date with him, Chanyeol?” he asked.

 

“Could you guys stop? It’s not a date.” Chanyeol put down his chopsticks. “It was a swimming practice.”

 

“Bull.” This time it was Kris. “He brought Baekhyun to his house after that.”

 

Jongdae’s mouth gaped. “What a traitor.”

 

Chanyeol closed his eyes and sighed. There was a weird proud feeling surging from his chest for he was the first person here to be able to go out with Baekhyun. Since Baekhyun was one hell of a guy, Chanyeol was certain that he wasn’t the only one who had set his eyes on him. But it also made him uneasy because his friends kept teasing him.

 

Kris chuckled. His mouth twisted into a mocking smile, eyes playful. “You guys don’t like Baekhyun enough to be on par with Chanyeol. Baekhyun has been here for only three weeks, but this guy can’t be patient even when I asked him to ing wait.”

 

Chanyeol’s expression mirrored Kris’ one. He can’t help but chuckle, too. From what Kris said, people would think that Chanyeol was hopeless. But it was kind of true. Baekhyun definitely had stirred something in him. Something that Chanyeol had not felt for a long, long time. And Chanyeol was drawn into him.

 

“Does it mean you give me your blessing?” Chanyeol asked, his tone half teasing, half serious.

 

“No way,” Kris stopped for a while, looking at Chanyeol now with heavy gaze, then continued. “Not now, at least. Jesus, be patient, Chanyeol. Love is all about patience.”

 

Whoever said love is patient certainly never fall in love with Baekhyun.

 

Especially after the weekend event happened. If Chanyeol wasn’t convinced about his feeling toward the guy before, he was so sure it was killing him right now. Chanyeol liked him, attracted to him, hell, he even started to think he was falling in love. Who wouldn’t fall for Baekhyun anyway?

 

Kris kept saying that he was broken and Chanyeol called that bull. Baekhyun was not broken. Sure, he was already on the edge, his foot already dipping in the water, but he was nowhere drowning. He still can be saved. And if Baekhyun can’t save himself, then Chanyeol will. Just like how his best friends saved him back then.

 

“Speaking of Baekhyun.” The chick in Kris’ arm opened .

 

Chanyeol didn’t even know who she was. And they were too engrossed in the conversation that they forgot she was there.

 

“Was it true? About the rumor, I mean.”

 

Oh, not this again. Chanyeol had grown tired of hearing people’s speculation about Baekhyun. For God’s sake, let the guy live. Can’t people just stop being nosy s and mind their own business.

 

Everyone at the table fell into silence. Kris even started to snuggle out of her embrace, but the nameless chick didn’t seem to read the situation and blurted out something that none of them expected.

 

“Rumor has it Baekhyun committed a murder back in his town.”

 

What?

 

What kind of a joke was that?

 

That stupid joke had make Chanyeol’s heart stop beating for a split moment. Chanyeol had a principle to never hurt a girl, but right now the urge was so strong. No one was allowed to say about Baekhyun, certainly not in front of him. She was lucky she was Kris’ girl, for today. And why Kris didn’t say anything? Chanyeol took a glance at his captain and...

 

Hell no.

 

Kris’ face was as pale as a sheet. His eyes shook violently as he stumbled over his tongue. One look at him, Chanyeol already knew.

 

“Is it true?” The girl chirped again, oblivious to her surrounding of four silent men.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes fixed on Kris, waiting for him to laugh it off, object it, push the girl away, slap her, any reaction, anything. But Kris kept silent and his face got paler by seconds.

 

“There’s no way it’s true, right?” Jongdae laughed awkwardly. “I mean... that’s just a stupid rumor, right?”

 

But Kris was still unresponsive. Yixing and Jongdae looked confused, too. And Chanyeol felt like dashed out of the cafeteria and found the person who started this ty rumor. He didn’t care if the rumor was true or not. The problem was, that rumor existed. A trashy and stupid rumor that could stain Baekhyun’s name, spreading around the school. Chanyeol can’t have that.

 

Just as Chanyeol got up from his seat, through his vision, he spotted Baekhyun entering the cafeteria. Chanyeol wasted no time to get to him.

 

God, nobody knew how relieved Chanyeol was seeing Baekhyun there. All the knots in his lungs had been released, and he put all of his willpower to not hug and crush the petite male in front of him.

 

“Hey,” Baekhyun greeted, and he was smiling too. Something that Chanyeol not expected at all. His smile definitely brought a breath of fresh air into him.

 

Chanyeol smiled back, trying to breathe normally. “Hey. What’s with the coat?”

 

Baekhyun was wearing a green coat with thick fur rimmed around the hood. It was raining from early morning. Chanyeol himself was wearing a thick hoodie over his uniform.

 

Baekhyun looked at his attire for a moment and sighed as he pressed his lips into a thin line.

 

Wow. That was definitely new expression. And Chanyeol was surprised. Baekhyun had been showing him new faces, more than he expected, in the span of a few minutes. He was impressed. And the talk about Baekhyun’s rumor earlier was long forgotten.

 

“I only own coats. Because Yanggu is mountains and everything.”

 

Baekhyun was pouting now. Another new expression. Chanyeol longed to pinch that soft cheeks. Not to mention, Baekhyun in a winter coat was the epitome of adorable. He was like a bundle of warm and fluffy things.

 

Chanyeol’s face was probably really weird right now because Baekhyun was fidgeting in his feet uncomfortably. “I look ridiculous. I know,” he said.

 

Chanyeol chuckled. “Of course you’re not. If anything, you look extremely adorable.”

 

Baekhyun’s brown eyes gleamed for a second. Baekhyun should really go easy on this whole new expressions, it was killing him.

 

He didn’t know how Baekhyun could change by the weekend. Since he came to Chanyeol’s house, he seemed different, only a little, but still significant to Chanyeol. He wasn’t the blank and expressionless Baekhyun anymore who only smiled a forced smile once in a while. At least in front of Chanyeol, he seemed to have already loosen up.

 

“You’ve had your lunch?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Baekhyun replied with a nod. “I come to buy something to drink.”

 

“Me too.” No, Chanyeol wasn’t going to buy a drink, but he was pathetic enough to lie so he could be together with his crush. “Let’s go to Mrs. Lee together.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t even protest or hesitate now. That was a huuuge improvement. Chanyeol was somersaulting mentally as the both of them walked together to the beverages counter.

 

And as fast as his heart went wild with excitement, Chanyeol’s heart stopped immediately when he heard a mocking whisper directed to the boy beside him.

 

Murderer.”

 

Baekhyun stopped on his track and grew tensed beside him as Chanyeol’s vision turned red. Blood roared into his ears and he had gone autopilot in a second. He didn’t realized he had turned around and yanked the hand of the speaker. Through his flickering dark eyes, Chanyeol recognized the boy as the school’s jock from the football team, Lee Taekgu.

 

“What did you just say?”

 

“ off, Chanyeol.” Taekgu spit. His big body didn’t scare Chanyeol even a tiny bit.

 

“Chanyeol, stop.” Chanyeol heard Baekhyun call out, but he didn’t let go the jock’s hand.

 

Chanyeol drew a calming breath. He didn’t want to pull any attraction to them. But some students in the cafeteria had already stopped their activities and were watching them instead.

 

“Take your word back,” Chanyeol muttered. He felt his whole body trembling with restrained fury.

 

Kris and the others had come up to them and took place behind Chanyeol. “Chanyeol, what the is going on?” Kris asked, placing his hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

 

“This prick said…” Chanyeol paused, “...something to Baekhyun.”

 

“Chanyeol, please, let go of him.” Baekhyun grabbed the back of Chanyeol’s hoodie. The grip wasn’t strong enough. . Even through his thick hoodie, Chanyeol could still feel Baekhyun’s trembling hand.

 

“Something?” Taekgu smirked, and it made Chanyeol want to punch the living day light out of him. “I said murderer. Why are you so worked up? Is it true, then? Is Baekhyun really a murderer?”

 

And that was it. He snapped. Suddenly the air wasn’t cold anymore, it was crazy humid for Chanyeol. Without missing a beat, he launched his body on the big guy, reaching for the collar of his shirt. “Take it back,” he growled. “ing apologize to Baekhyun.”

 

It took every string of his control to not punch Taekgu. Chanyeol knew he can’t punch him, or else he’ll get in trouble with the school. And the thought frustrated him.

 

The grinned. “What if I don’t want to? Is he gonna kill me?”

 

All of a sudden, the weak grip on Chanyeol’s hoodie was gone. And he saw Baekhyun brushing pass him, walking out of the cafeteria. His rage toward Taekgu was long forgotten as he let go of Taekgu for this jerk was not his concern, at least not at the moment. Baekhyun was all that matter to him, especially after he felt Baekhyun’s hand brushed his skin when Baekhyun dashed off just now.

 

His hand was cold as ice.

 

 

*

 

 

It had been so long since the last time Baekhyun heard that word thrown at him. Not since he moved here.

 

Murderer.

 

Trying to shut out the violent repeating sound of murderer in his head, Baekhyun shut his eyes, but only in vain. In between the hollow sound and the blood rushing in his ears, he could hear a faint voice behind him, calling his name. It only made him run faster. He wanted to get away as far as possible from the crowd, from people who watched him with judging eyes.

 

Murderer. Murderer. Murderer.

 

His heart hammered so hard as if it was threatening to rip his chest open. His stinging tears clouded his vision, making it harder for him to get through. It was a definite mistake to go to the cafeteria. It was a mistake for him to come here. It was a mistake for him to even live.

 

God, kill me.

 

Suddenly there was harsh tugging at his hand, forcing him to stop. And his blurry vision was immediately filled with Chanyeol’s concern face.  “Baekhyun, are you okay?”

 

It only occurred to him that he was breathing hard. He can’t barely talk. It took a moment for Baekhyun to find his voice. “I have to go back to class.” He could see Kris and the others running to them. And it was only freaking him out even more. “Chanyeol, please...”

 

Their gazes met. And Baekhyun could feel Chanyeol’s hold on him had loosened. He took that chance to snatch his hand away from the taller’s grasp. A wild impulse had him running the moment Chanyeol’s hand let him go, making him not being aware of what was in front of him. He unconsciously ran toward the stairs, not minding his steps, losing his balance, and ended up tripping over his own feet.

 

Baekhyun tried not to cry out loud as he flied, literally flied, from the upper stairs to the bottom. He chuckled inwardly. Wasn’t it just one minute ago he had asked his almighty God to take him? He should be thrilled. It wasn’t every day God granted his wish, if not never. At least, He really granted what Baekhyun had wished for since that dreadful night.

 

He was going to die, finally.

 

A murderer like him deserved to die.

 

People said that when you were faced with your death momentum, you’ll see memories flash across your vision. But Baekhyun saw nothing, all he thought about was this moment. This moment was the moment he had been waiting for.

 

Baekhyun closed his eyes, waiting for the hard ground to hit him.

 

Except he did not. He did hit the floor, but he landed on something else, or rather on someone.

 

After a while, voices started to fill his ears again. The first thing that registered into his eardrums was the strong, rapid sound of heartbeat. But it wasn’t his own. It was this person’s heartbeat who had somehow caught him, engulfing him with his firm and protective arms around him.

 

And Baekhyun realized that he didn’t die. He wasn’t dead.

 

There was a beat before he felt the arms around him releasing him, and once again, Baekhyun’s vision was filled with Chanyeol’s face. There was a world of pain and panic in his expression. His bloodshot eyes were zeroed in Baekhyun.

 

“What the hell were you thinking?” Chanyeol yelled.

 

Baekhyun didn’t realize that his heart began to pound too. Looking at Chanyeol’s angry eyes, it felt like waking up from a dream. A dream consisted of something you wanted so much, but the second you woke up, you realized that things didn’t turn out like you really want them to.

 

“, Baekhyun, you’re bleeding.” Chanyeol reached out his hand to Baekhyun’s forehead. It was visible that Chanyeol’s hand trembled terribly. As his fingers touched the skin of Baekhyun’s forehead, the latter felt how cold Chanyeol’s hand was.

 

“Baekhyun, you’re okay? , your forehead.” Jongdae was beside him already, crouching. Kris and Yixing were behind him. “Chanyeol, what about you?”

 

“I’m okay,” Baekhyun said, his voice cracking. People had started to surround them, and Baekhyun suddenly felt so drain. He put his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder as Chanyeol’s hands wrapped around his waist.

 

“We need to get him to hospital, Kris. He hit his head.” Chanyeol’s voice was laced with panic, impossibly shaking.

 

Baekhyun wasn’t sure if he really did hit his head. If yes, he didn’t realized it at all. He was probably too engulfed in his trance of wanting to die so much to even feel his own forehead hitting the cold floor, or maybe the wall. Baekhyun seriously had no idea. Even now, he didn’t feel the pain at all. He just felt really tired and sleepy.

 

“Let’s get him to Nurse Kim first. It’s probably just a scratch.” Baekhyun heard Kris’ voice right above him. Even Kris’ voice wasn’t as panicky as Chanyeol’s.

 

“Are you kidding? He’s bleeding, Kris.”

 

There was a pause, and Baekhyun began to go in and out of consciousness. So he focused on Chanyeol’s ragged breathing, trying hard to stay awake.

 

“What happened here?”

 

It was an unfamiliar voice, a woman voice. Probably Nurse Kim, Baekhyun thought, as he could feel her presence now beside him and Chanyeol.

 

“He fell from the stairs,” Chanyeol answered. A string of pain in his voice didn’t go unnoticed by Baekhyun. “We need to get him to the hospital, Ma’am.”

 

There was a shuffle, and then the nurse was getting her phone out and walking away from the crowd to call 119. Baekhyun hoped the crowd could vanished. He started to feel suffocated. It was harder for him to breathe.

 

“Chanyeol,” Kris called him out. “You don’t have to go to the hospital. We can take care of him.”

 

One thing that Baekhyun noticed from Kris’ voice was that it was the same tone that he used when Baekhyun first arrived at his house earlier this month to live with his family. It was concern, pity, and understanding all at once.

 

“No, I’m going.” Chanyeol’s tone was final.

 

In between his struggle to stay conscious, Baekhyun felt his body was picked up, with Chanyeol’s strong arms scooping him up as if he weighted absolutely nothing. Then, the moment his body came in contact with Chanyeol’s broad back, Baekhyun completely out.