The Worst.

My Life!

The Worst.

Surprisingly the next days were heaven. No stalking, no annoyance, no groping or worse. It was basically back to the time before that damn Shim turned up. I met up with Heechul, we enjoyed the spring sun and tasty ice cream after school, mingled with our friends during the pauses and it goes on and on. The best : I didn't have to strain my poor ears in case a certain someone dared to interrupt my relax time.

Of course by now a warning bell should ring in my head because it was way too peaceful after that one event I liked to erase from my disc. The calm before the storm. But I enjoyed my newly won old freedom. So I couldn't care less.

My mistake.

The next nightmare greeted me on lunch break when I was called in the principle's office.

My friends shot me worried and curious looks. There were the usual shouts of “gotten into trouble Kyu-yah?” and “Kyuhyun, you were bad?”. I ignored the teases, I was above them. One thing to be thankful for when you spent enough time with Heechul. That boy knew how to boost one's ego – or crush it. Depends.

My steps echoed in the corridors where the leadership lied. Okay, it sounds strange, I know. My vocabulary is just a bit reduced thanks to my nerves. Don't you dare laugh. There was never a reason for me to be called to the principle. Except that one time where he personally congratulated me for my achievement in a science project. The difference was I knew I would be praised by the director and some higher ups. Now I had no clue at all. Did I do something wrong? Have I broken a rule I didn't know of? I was no bully nor a snob. What caused this summons?

Nervously I knocked on the wooden door that lead inside the school head's realm. My hands started to sweat and I gulped when I heard the principle's voice. Show no weakness, I reminded myself and stepped in. And wanted to step out right after, no care for the consequences. Why the hell was Shim ing Changmin here? And the person that was nothing more than a blurry memory. He'd saved me from that bastard over there though. His attendance was strangely soothing.

Please take a seat.” The school's head gestured to the only free chair. Suspicious of the whole thing I followed his invitation and lowered myself on the more comfortable chair than the ones in the classrooms. My eyes never left the still figure opposite. Thank god I didn't have to sit beside him. That would end in a disaster.

You're here because of some unfortunate situations that happened not long ago,” the principle explained and looked each of us in the eyes. His gaze rested on me longer. I was sure of it. My observation skills were not be made fun of. “I heard it through the grapevines that there were some severe conflicts between you two.” He looked at that bastard and me. I've had a bad feeling about this. “Severe conflicts, sir?” I still dared to ask and prayed he didn't hint on what I feared he would.

The principle folded his hands. “Don't act ignorant, Kyuhyun. I know very well there happened some escalations between you and Shim Changmin. What bothers me is the reason for that. You're a honourable student. I admit it was kinda shocking to hear you were involved in such things.”

What things are you talking about, sir?” I just couldn't let my mouth stay shut, could I?

The director gave me a funny look. “Teenagers these days like to think if they play dumb they can get out an affair. It kinda works, but not here.” The old man grabbed a pile of paper. “I've listed complaints about some students who accuse you of bullying Shim Changmin.”

My eyes wanted to bulge out. “B-bullying who? Sir..., that has to be a misunderstanding! I don't bully!”

These say different things.” He waved said documents under my nose. “Feel free to read them. I'm sure it helps your temporary amnesia.”

Hesitant I grabbed the papers and started to flap them over. I couldn't believe what I read.

Kyuhyun made Changmin lose his pants on his first day.

He mocked the poor guy after the other was named and shamed.

Changmin was nothing but friendly. Kyuhyun's been really rude.

And it went on and on and on. I didn't need to read further to know the rest would be the same.

Framed.

I was being ing framed by those idiotic morons! Gosh, I knew they were stupid. I glanced over to Changmin who looked strangely satisfied. Maybe he was the mastermind behind this? I wouldn't put it past on him. He turned his head and smirked when he caught me staring. “I told you,” he mouthed. I frowned. What? He continued to smile evilly. The person between us moved. “Sir,” he called and a shudder ran down my spine. He had a very pleasant and husky voice. Something I haven't noticed before.“can this matter be settled discretely? I do not wish to make mountains out of molehills.”

The director bowed his head. “Of course, Mr. Kim.“

Then I put my trust in you, principle.” the dark haired man said. “After all, we don't want your school's image to take a blow, do we?” He smiled politely, though his eyes were cold.

Scary, he was scary.

I had to be careful around him. The director flinched. Fear of the yet unborn disaster visible in his eyes. “No, of course n-not,” he stammered and cleared his throat. His hands twitched nervously. The other sent him another chill producing smile. “Then I shall later come by again to discuss the measures against this unfortunate situations. I'm sure we find a good solution.”

For a second his gaze flickered over to me. I stared back. Anger crawled up my body. What measures? He had been there, hadn't he? Why didn't he tell the damn of a director I'm the one being assaulted? Why getting along with the flow? The older male turned back as if nothing happened. “I'll take my leave first. Excuse me.” He bowed shortly and with brisk steps left the bureau, leaving me to my doom.

Kyuhyun,” the director opened his mouth. “ I'm disappointed in your behaviour and can't overlook your rudeness towards a school we're partners with.” Wow, that stung. I felt embarrassment fill my cheeks. The director as skilled in making you feel guilty even if you're innocent – like me. “There will be consequences. You'll be informed in a week what punishment we decided on. For now you're suspended from school. Please come to the secretariat at eight am sharp next Monday. Understood?”

I nodded obediently. What else could I do? He had the upper hand. I was just a helpless student exposed to the cruel despotism of the adults' world. “Return to your classroom.” I gave a proper bow – it could lessen my penalty – and left with a heavy heart. No thoughts swirled in my head. It felt as if I ran against a wall which resulted in a blackout. Still, I was sane enough to go to the classroom, grab my bag and leave without a comment. I didn't have the energy to look any of my classmates in the eyes and throw accusations at them. They were stupid and naïve. And stupid and naïve people tend to believe what they've heard. They didn't question statements. My classmates were mere soldiers. For them, orders were orders, carried out without further ado. And while it didn't bother me before that much I now regretted I never took action to educate them better. They were mere soldiers who stabbed on of their comrades in the back by orders.

Life .

My poor heart got heavier with every step I neared home. The backpack felt like a load full of bricks and my legs got the strength of a newborn. More than once I considered to just take another route and don't return home. I wasn't able to confront my parents, bear their disappointed expression on their faces. No, I, Choi Kyuhyun, was not strong enough to be a reed. I was a tree who'd break with the force my suspension brought.

I ignored the incoming calls I knew where from Heechul. Answering meant questions. Questions meant explanations plus answers. Answers I wasn't able to give because what was I supposed to say? The people we've known for years betrayed me for a ing transfer student who was here for only three months? That that ing jerk did more than Heechul knew? No, my best friend would blame himself. He had nothing to do with this. For all I care he should live happily with his girlfriend. There existed some business you don't share with others. So I pressed the reject button. Oh, Heechul was so gonna give me a good telling-off later on. I couldn't escape my friend for long,knowing his stubborn nature. That must be the reason why we're friends: stubborn till the end.

When I reached home I came face-to-face with my father's angry face and my mother's trembling figure. My sister was nowhere in sight. It didn't took me long to realise there was no need to prolong my arrival. They already knew. When I saw the telephone not in its correct position I got the reason. The school had them informed. Couldn't get fast enough, huh?

Son,” my father greeted me, his voice neutral and collected. Oh-oh. That tone wasn't a good sign. Instantly I prepared myself for the harsh words I was sure would come. And what harsh words they were. From heart stabbing accusations to disappointed words to furious yelling. My father didn't spare any of it. It was demoralising and my mother's sad eyes contributed more to my guilt. A guilt I wasn't at fault for, yet carried the blame. How much of a Samaritan could a person get? Ignore the factI was never once able to argue with my father. My mind went blank whenever he lectured me. A weakness I couldn't get over. It annoyed me, made me mad, especially every time my sister tells me to open my mouth. Easy for her to say; she wasn't as scrutinized as me. Daddy's little princess, the cliché. Not that I was bothered or jealous. I knew my parents were proud of me and neither did they neglect me nor favoured they my older sister. We were just a typical family.

After my father's outburst the last bit of energy was drained. Exhausted I dragged myself to my room, not bothering with taking my clothes off before falling into bed. I sighed in bliss when I was hit by soft cushions. In seconds I was in dreamland, letting go of all the bad stuff that happened today.

 

֎֍֎

 

The bad stuff continued.

Not in the outguessed plot where I turned into a delinquent, got into fights with gangs and drunk alcohol all the time. No, more in the way of me going crazy with nothing to do, Heechul's persistent questions why I wasn't in school (I didn't tell him) and emails of teachers asking me to turn in mentioned assignments. They didn't care I missed the classes and had no knowledge to work with. I had to do it myself. Everything. As much as I loved learning this was too much, after the third day I was ready to commit suicide. Lucky me, Heechul came over to cool me off. I never was more happy about his existence.

Chullie, I'm bored~”

My best friend gave me a weird look. “Are you sick?” he questioned and went to mess my temperature. “A whiny Kyu is close to zero.”

I gave him a judging look. “Can't I be cute?” I sulked and rolled on my bed. “I have too much time with too many stupid thoughts and far too little mental challenges. How am I supposed live? The world hates me!”

Heechul rolled his eyes. “Stop being dramatic, Kim Kyu.”

Don't call me that!” My voice came out muffled by the cushion my face was pressed in. I added some insults I made sure Heechul couldn't hear. Sadly, my friend was very sharp. He grabbed my leg and tickled my feet. “Whatcha say?” He questioned, words dragged lazily. “Got complaints, chubby thing?”

I struggled to flee but the tickles were too much. I burst into laughter and wriggled in his grip, begging him to stop - which he ignored. Only, when I gasped for air Heechul released me and returned to his original position. “I'm waiting for an explanation, Kyu. Rumours of you being suspended circle through the school.”

What rumours,” I snorted. “You verify them before attacking.”

Heechul agreed with a satisfied smirk and gestured me to continue. “What do ya wanna hear? I won't tell you the reason. I know you, Chul. You'll go against the sentence and try to pull a stunt. I don't wanna get you involved, too. It's bad enough with only me. I'll be shredded into pieces by both your and my parents. They know you do reckless things when it involves me.”

I never said I would,” my best friend defended himself but it landed on deaf ears. He could say what he wanted, Heechul was the type to protect who's dear to him. A mother lion. Should I give him that nickname? I chuckled at the expression he'd make. That would lift my mood up, no matter how down I'd be.

If you don't mind I'll spent the week with you in your room. I prefer your house over mine anyway.”

I blinked at Heechul. “Huh?” What was he talking about.

My best friend rolled his eyes in his best you're-slower-than-a-sloth-way and pushed me to the edge of the bed. “Move, I wanna sleep.”

You're not going to sleep!” I protested and shoved him back. Heechul opened one eye and glared at me. “I sleep when I want. It's not my problem when you can't comprehend what my intelligence is saying.”

You mean your ability to speak in riddles. Your intelligence ,” I corrected him and grabbed a pillow as a defensive when he advanced forward to pinch me. “No physical attacks. I'm sick!”

You've got suspended,” Heechul corrected me and twisted my nose in a painful manner. I cried out and kicked at the devil in disguise. Sadly, he was faster and got into safety far away from my bed. In the end I decided to glare daggers at him which he shrugged off – that bastard. Did you know how hard I tried to polish my evil-from-the-pits-of-hell-glare? It took me weeks! And Heechul wasn't affected in the least. My ego suffered a harsh defeat.

I told you it's just rumours,” I replied weakly, no energy left to blow a full-force protest.

I asked the secretary or rather smiled charmingly and she started talking effortlessly,” Heechul revealed and grabbed my chin. “Don't try to shake me off again. I know the truth. And it makes me mad you didn't trust me enough to tell. I thought we're friends, Kyuhyun.”

We are,” I agreed automatically. My best friend's grip hurt. Though... probably not as much as his heart. Realisation hit me how much pain I gave Heechul by lying to him. Ashamed I lowered my head. “It wasn't on purpose,” I mumbled, not able to bear the hurt in my best friend's eyes. It ripped the deepest part of my heart open and let it bleed. The few times I'd felt similar to now I've been admitted to the hospital cause of breathing problems. And no, neither it is asthma or panic attacks. I'm a healthy male, the operative word is healthy. Got that? Good.

Heechul let go. “I know,” he said and sighed heavily. “Else I'd have you begging for mercy already. Are ya stupid?”

Indignant I shot up. “Hey! Don't call me stupid.”

Stop being riled up about nothing, midget.” Heechul stared me down. I obeyed. His old street personality came out. A sign he was short on snapping. Believe me, you don't wanna see him lose control. Ain't a pretty sight. “I bet that's the reason you've been suspended. Got mad about something stupid-” could he stop using that word? “- and became loud, stupid. And the director decided it's best to withhold you from going to school.”

I hate it when you do that,” I growled. I had a hard time not to get mad. Nowhere in hell would I show that I was affected by his words. That meant I showed weakness. And never will I, Choi Kyuhyun, admit my weaknesses. Never.

The reason I do it,” Heechul smirked and got up. ”Now buy me some ramen. I get hungry when I'm mad.”

As if,” I scoffed when I stood at the staircase and added quietly, “You just don't have enough money to pay, cheapskate.”

One of my beloved science books flew less than an inch past my head. It hit the wall with a loud thud and fell to the floor. “I heard that!” came Heechul's shout from my room. Damn his ears! He was even able to hear grass sprout. Grumbling I picked up my poor baby. Carefully I over its cover and sighed in relief when I found no dog-ears. A nightmare if. I shuddered at the image of countless kinked pages in wonderful books full of knowledge. I'd murder whoever dared to destroy this flawlessness.

If you wanna eat get your lazy out my house,” I groused and placed my science book in the shelf where many others of my collection rest. Not checking if Heechul followed I stomped down the stairs. I knew my best friend followed. Instinct. And my knowledge about his bottomless cravings for ramen. I'm all-knowing. No one can beat me, peace.

Back to one of your twisted universes where you're some kind of god?” a female voice mocked. I stopped my mad giggling to glare at my older sister. “Whatcha want?”

Nothing~” she grinned and skipped past me. “Greet your y classmate, will you?”

Huh? y classmate? Who's she talking about?

My noodles ain't waiting!” Heechul called from near the front door. I was brought back to reality, though I wondered how he managed to go there when he was behind me seconds ago. My best friend seemed to sense my thoughts. “Skills, Kyu, skills.”

I clicked my tongue in playful disagreement and motioned for him to go. If we continued like this we'd never reached our destination, the best local ramen shop.

His Majesty got quite popular these weeks, not only in school but outside as well,” Heechul revealed when we were seated on a table and slurped down our noodles. Correction, Heechul gobbling them down and me pouring myself soju. Before you ask, yes, I'm off-age, thank you. So don't come me with underage drinking. My parents raised me to be a thoughtful son. And Heechul's to be responsible since their own son tended to lose all logic when he's into something.

Passion can't be feed by logic. One of Heechul's many favourite sayings to justify his actions. Real mature.

You're shoving me in a bad light again, right?” said person guessed and snatched my next shot of soju to down it faster than I could react to safe it.

My mother always says to be truthful,” I sniffed and hold the bottle of alcohol in a tight grip when Heechul tried to reach it.

Your mother told you . Stop being so stingy,” my best friend replied after he got a hang on the soju and took a big gulp. Did I mention his wonderful use of words to describe persons and situations outside school? And his breathtaking manners? It's a pleasure. “And you talk , Kim Kyu.”

That nickname-”

stays glued to you as long as I live,” was my sentence ended. Damn it, I got no snarky reply. The alcohol clouded my mind.

Lately you became more obscene,” I stated and frowned. Indeed, Heechul behaved more often like the kid who grew up in the streets. Usually he was skilled enough to hide what characterized a part of him: the rough behaviour and sharp words crafted by countless encounters with merciless people. How I know? Cause I watched, hidden in the shadows. Curiosity, guys, curiosity.

Listen to me, Kyuhyun.” Heechul lowered his voice. I lifted my gaze to meet my best friend one's. His eyes were glazed, yet, there was this earnest sparkle that told me his next words were spoken with a sober mind. “Whatever happens, wherever you are, you can count on me. If you need help, call me. I won't let any head mess miss my favourite person on earth. I've got your back, okay?” He grabbed my hands and squeezed them. My throat went dry. Heechul's sudden earnestness caught me off-guard, sent me in a stage of unusual personal embarrassment. My voice was breathy when I managed to find words. “ I... I really don't know what to say... Man, you know how to give me the chills.”

How about 'I got yours, too'?” Heechul teases and ruffled my head. “You at being sentimental.”

And you're horrible good at it.”

He laughed. “That's what friends are good for.”

I shook my head. “No, best friends,” I corrected him and sent him a bashful smile.

Love you, my little apple pie.”

That evoked a groan from me. I'd never escape this horrible part of my life where I embarrassed myself in a bakery. A girl had walked on me and started to flirt. Nervous as I was – I mean, I was fifteen, for god's sake – my mind went blank and instead of uttering my name I said apple pie cause that was what I saw at the counter behind the girl. A case for 'I wish to vanish into thin air' or rather 'curl up and die', preferably in a dark dark corner in a small small hut somewhere on a vast deserted island.

Come one, let's enjoy our school-free week as long as we can,” Heechul said and raised his glass. “Cheers to the hardships that we overcame and those we have yet to overcome.”

 

֎֍֎

 

The secretary gave me a flyer, her movements brisk and efficient. She was a secretary quintessentially. I found myself seated in the vast space in front of the director's office aka the secretariat. Yesterday in the afternoon I was called by the school to appear at eight o'clock sharp tomorrow to receive the official solution concerning the situation between the new student (who wasn't as new after these past months) and my humble self.

Read this before entering. Orders by the director,” the secretary explained curtly when I received the paper and sent her a confused look. “Don't waste time. You're expected to be in there in five minutes. Better be prepared.” She smiled – or tried to. I got the impression she wasn't used to being nice to this extent. Well, I've always been a special case. And for your information, I'm allowed to be smug about it. Especially after all the I've gone through this week. Highway to hell should be rewritten using my point of view. Ah, I'm drifting off again...

My eyes landed on the flyer which, to my surprise, was more of a brochure. They expected me to read that in five minutes?! As much as I was a genius even that was too much. Angrily I gritted my teeth. They wanted to challenge me? Fine by me, this won't bring me down!

Three minutes later I stopped reading. With a loud plop did I let the brochure fall on the table. The secretary looked up. “You're finished?” She sounded surprised, slight disbelieve in her voice. Couldn't blame her. Who finished reading over twenty pages in three minutes?

I shook my head in the negative. “I refuse.”

Refuse what?”

I refuse to read any further. What nonsense is that? Renowned academy? Talents from all over the world? I'm here because I was being framed for something I didn't do, not for a school transfer.”

The woman cleared and scribbled something down. “Well, the director awaits you.”

She avoided my questions. Smooth, very smooth, I thought sarcastically and snorted. Well, she wasn't the only one with bad mannerism. Without a thank you in her direction I walked to the door and knocked on the wood. A faint voice called me in and I couldn't suppress the wild beating in my chest. Life or death, I thought. One of the two. Last chance. Over.

Gosh, now I was reminded of a children's series.

Ah, Mr. Choi you're here,” the director greeted me abnormally formal. I raised an eyebrow at his attitude. Then my eyes fell on another person in the room. He was older, over fifty if the greying temples and the wrinkled skin on his hands were anything to go by. A dark suit hugged a body I was sure belonged once to an athlete, track runner or something. The lean figure, the thick legs, it said everything. Penetrating grey eyes met mine and I stopped immediately in my tracks and bowed properly. Something told me showing manners were a given in the unknown man's presence. I couldn't help a smirk though when those eyes rested on the director behind his desk. The old man was sweating and gulping nervously.

Ah, he was scared. Good to know.

Mr. Choi?” My head swung in the stranger's direction.”I'm Mr. Oh, the communicator between you and Ace Academy. In your youngsters' language I'd guess wingman.” He winked playfully and I felt instant sympathy. One to intimidate the damn director plus joke around? Pass. But wait-

Ace Academy?” I repeated clueless.

Mr. Oh turned around and said with a scolding tone in his voice, “Principle, don't tell me you didn't inform the student about AA? I came with the assumption he's been filled in.”

O-of course, Sir,” the school's head stuttered. “I made sure Kyu-Mr.. Choi received the needed documents.”

Needed documents? Ah, the brochure. So Mr. Oh was from this mysterious renowned school. A light bulb went on. Did they want to shunt me off? Deport me to somewhere? I was scandalized. Did schools became places for human traffic these days?

I'm informed about this … talent school.” I waved my hand uncertain. “What's up with that?”

Mr. Oh turned back to me and smiled friendly. “Mr. Choi, you've been recommended to enrol in Ace Academy. It's a great honour to be chosen.”

Huh?”

Yeah, I know. Not the best reaction to give, especially after the 'great honour' part but come one. You can't judge me after this jeremiad. And before you have any complains, it is a jeremiad for me. Believe it or not. School transfers didn't look good on your curriculum vitae. Doesn't matter the name of the school. And I've got enough with the many moves I went through. Two elementary schools and three institutes of higher education. Another one added meant to change the whole layout and format of my already written CV. Dang.

Mr. Oh took a few steps closer and handed me a brown envelope. “Inside is everything you need”, he explained. Dumbfounded I took it. Was I in the wrong film? Cause I couldn't get quite the hang on the situation. Something that just did not happen. I'm Choi Kyuhyun, for god's sake. I confused others, not the opposite. And it wasn't Wednesday! No 'Yes-becomes-No-day'!

The director cleared his throat and stood up. “Choi Kyuhyun,” he announced in his usual principle voice, “you have to leave school as of now and accompany Shim Changmin and Kim Jaejoong back to the Ace Academy in which you will enrol this month. This is my final decision. It's not to appeal.”

I stared at him speechless, totally thrown out the loop. Did I hear right? I was kicked out this school because of the harassment I experienced? Harassment I couldn't do anything for and was all the fault of that damn arsehole? He caused a whole ruckus in school, not me! But by the look the principle wore it was useless to go against the sentence.

Yes, sentence. It felt as if I stood in court and was put behind bars. I mean academy for special abilities? That sounded diffuse, if not downright suspicious. Was there no law preventing higher positioned people to do as they wished? That bordered on arbitrariness. We have the right to remain silent, right? Doesn't there exist a right to oppose ridiculous commands? In law shows there's always someone who calls objection. Why doesn't that happen for me? It's not fair. Ah, right, I was just a commoner. One under million. Wouldn't matter if I lost, there were thousand others to take my place.

I hold my anger. It was useless anyway. Would just make the situation worse. So I played the upright student and bowed respectfully. “I understand, Sir. I apologize for any inconvenience on your side. Please excuse me. Mr. Oh.”

I refused to look at anybody crossing my way when I walked back defeated to the classroom. Numbness spread through my whole body. How was I supposed to explain to my parents I was kicked out of school because I'd became a victim of assault. And my assaulter probably the son of a rich and influential family? Maybe Heechul would let me sleepover. Mental prepare. The thought gave the world a bit of its colour back.

And you know what most? My dream of absolving school without any negative remarks puffed out. At least I paid attention in English class, else my future would look pretty dark. Why? Ah, I've forgotten to mention: our destination is another country. Germany, to be exact. Why the hell the land of poets and thinkers? I was never good in writing soppy verses.

my life.