Chapter 5

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

Ren's dreams were filled with old memories of a different time. His parents were mages, but they never expected Ren to become a part of the queen's guard. Not since his uncle Chanyeol had become a part of it. News about his uncle's death made Ren determined to fill his shoes. Luhan, a family friend had filled Chanyeol's place, so he was the one left to train Ren. "Your magic will show you the way, just focus Ren," Luhan had always said.

Ren jolted out of his sleep when something hit the barrier. He sat up, and looked around, being silent to see if there would be any other sounds. He went over to one of the windows, peeking outside to see if there was anyone there. "Ren!" Said Aron. Baekhyun was there, his tail wagging some. "Where'd you go when I woke up?" asked Ren. "Baekho got hungry so he went to go hunt, and I went to check on my snares," said Aron.

"How come I didn't see your foot prints when I left?" Asked Ren. "I only saw mine," he said. "Um," mumbled Aron. Ren was cautious but he took down the barrier and let Aron and Baekhyun inside. Baekhyun went to lay by the fire and Aron sat on his bedroll. "Thanks for taking this with you at least," said Aron. Ren shrugged. "I did bring my own but yours came up first when I set up camp so..." He said, shrugging again. Aron nodded.

Ren set up his sleeping bag and flared up the fire in the wood stove, throwing in some wood that was laying around the old house. He gave Baekhyun some leftover jerky from the food he had gotten from JR before heading to bed. He didn't even check on Aron before he passed out.

Ren appeared once again in his dream world, looking around. "Kris?" He called out, and then a red dragon flew down and landed in front of Ren. "Did I imagine Aron and Baekho?" He asked. Kris nodded. "Then what happened to my friends?" Asked Ren.

"Baekho is alive, but Aron died," said Luhan as he appeared. Ren turned around, his head tilting to the side. "Aron wants you to find Baekho, he's leading you through where he stopped and eventually you will find him," said Luhan. "Baekhyun is there taking care of him, but he doesn't have long to live, not in these conditions," he said. "It's not much farther, but with all the stress lately you need to rest," he said. Ren nodded.

Ren turned around at the sound of a familiar voice. "Sorry I couldn't tell you," said Aron. "I didn't know how to, but you're getting closer to Baekho, I've been leading that orb of yours closer to him," he said. "Will I see you when I wake up again?" Asked Ren. "Only if you want me to be there," said Aron. Ren nodded. "I'll be there then," said Aron. "When will my uncle show up here? Or will he ever?" Ren asked Luhan. Luhan shrugged. "It's up to him, he wants to be here when you really need him," he said. Ren nodded, seeing the world start to fade again. "Aw," he said, pouting. Aron laughs. "It's a short conversation here, in the real world it's already morning," he said. "I'll be there when you wake up again," he said. "Wait!" Said Ren before everything went black.

Ren jolted awake, sitting up. He looked around, and saw Aron there. Aron smiled some. "Told you I'd be here," he said. "How'd you die?" Asked Ren. "That cave you woke up in? That was the last spot I slept in before Baekho and I were attacked during the night," said Aron. "Those same pack of wolves attacked and I sent Baekho and Baekhyun off, though not without Baekho getting wounded," he said. "You died protecting them?" Asked Ren. Aron nodded. "I'll guide you to him, it's not much farther now," he said. "Was I just seeing your memories then?" Asked Ren. Aron nodded.

They continued on their journey after Ren had some breakfast. Ren didn't bother to summon his orb yet, he knew now that Aron had been leading him along. "He's in this old house," said Aron when they finally stopped. "Just call on me if you need me again," said he said before he faded away.

Ren checked around the house, before calling out for Baekho. "Baekho?" He called out. He heard whining from inside. "Baekhyun?" He called out. A wolf head popped up in the window. "Okay," he said, going to open the door. He set up a barrier first so that no one would surprise attack them before heading inside. He saw Baekho leaning against the wall, unconscious. He went to check his vital signs before seeing an old wood stove in the corner. He went to throw some wood into it and started a fire.

"I hope I didn't get here late," he mumbled to no one in particular. The orb appeared then, and Ren looked at it. "Did I get here too late?" He asked it. He got no response but he went to check on Baekho anyway. He was careful when checking on any wounds, seeing the healing scars of a stitched up wound in Baekho's side. "Aron did you do this?" He asked aloud. He soon saw a memory of earlier, when Aron found Baekho in the forest. Aron had been camping in the same cluster of trees when Baekho appeared. The same sequence of earlier played and Ren nodded. "Thanks," he mumbled. He cleaned up the area and changed the bandage before wrapping Baekho in his sleeping bag.

Ren checked on the fire, and gave Baekhyun some jerky. He ate some of his left over food, making sure to save some for Baekho. He checked his food supply and sighed. "I hope there's a town on the way, I'm no where near as good at hunting as Aron or Baekho," he mumbled to himself as he set up Aron's bedroll before deciding to take a nap.