i/i

Area 51

 

 

The dark haired male wearing a black hoodie with faded blue jeans and Airmax had been following him for awhile now. Chanyeol recalled exiting his apartment and walking to the restaurant to pick up his order and in his peripheral vision, he saw that the guy had been following him since then.


He looked to be about 174cm- much smaller than himself, Chanyeol noticed, and jet black hair. But, there didn’t seem to be anything special about him.


As they continued to walk, the taller redhead purposefully walked slower and saw the other slow down too.


When a crowd of tourists walked by, Chanyeol used that chance to lose his stalker. He turned into an alley and pressed his back against the wall. The stalker passed the crowd of tourists and frantically looked around for the redhead.


When Chanyeol saw the stalker walk by the alley, he roughly grabbed his arm and pushed him against the brick wall.


“Who the hell are you and why are you following me?” Chanyeol suspected that the man wasn’t a thief. Given he wasn't defensive when caught, and he made no move to pull out a weapon either.


Still, the redhead took out his wallet and pulled out the remaining cash left in it. “There’s only 20 bucks left so take it and stop following me.”


“I don’t want your money. I want your help.” The shorter spoke calmly leveling his gaze with the taller.


“My help? Help with what? Why should I help you?” Chanyeol looked around the alley. “Is this some hidden camera prank?”


The corners of the stalker’s lip upturned into a smile. “How are you coping with your powers so far Chanyeol?”


“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Chanyeol hastily turned around and made a dash for the way out of the alley.


“The man who can burst into flames. Is it a hoax or is it real?” The shorter challenged.


“Shut up.” Chanyeol turned around and growled.


“Do you need an extra set of clothes for when you burn through the ones you’re wearing right now or...?”


The angry redhead grabbed the front of the stalker’s hoodie and pushed him hard against the wall. The smell of smoke filled the air and the redhead was on fire. His red hair seemed to add more flair to the flames around him. The only parts of his body that weren’t on fire were his arms and hands, which still gripped the other’s hoodie.


“Who the hell sent you?”


Chanyeol observed the shorter for signs of fear. He scanned the stalker’s button nose, the mole at the corner of his lips, and eyes that drooped at the corners. The shorter’s face was unchanging even when he saw and felt the heat of the fire and he made no effort to move away.


Instead, he tilted his head, so that he was eye level with the taller. And suddenly, water descended on both of them and stopped the flames.


Water droplets dripped down both of their faces. It didn’t rain and people that walked by the alley had no umbrellas. Chanyeol was taken by surprise and let go of the man as he staggered backwards.


“Jongin!” The shorter yelled. A flash of blonde passed by him and Chanyeol felt someone grip onto his arms.


“Hold on tight,” was the only warning before a gust of wind blew on Chanyeol’s face and his feet finally made contact with ground after what seemed like he was flying for a split second.


The pyrokinetic kneeled on the ground to catch his breath as if someone just punched his gut.


“Sorry, it’s rough the first time.” The blonde male said and next to him the stalker looked to be going green himself.


“Nope it’s not just you, I’ll never get used to it.” The stalker breathed heavily to calm his churning stomach.


Chanyeol observed his surrounding, none of it looked familiar to him. “W-where the hell am I?”


The blonde male came back with towels to give to the droopy eyed stalker. The stalker handed Chanyeol an extra one, but the redhead backed away and made no move to accept it. Carefully, the shorter set the towel on the table next to him.


“The place that needs your help Park Chanyeol.”


“You never answered me, who are you? Who was he? What is going on?”


“You’ll find all the answers that you need.” The shorter male signaled the taller to follow, “But let’s meet the rest of the family first shall we?”





 








Somewhere in Nevada

The sound of heavy boots echoed through the fluorescent lit hall. The army clad man scanned his badge on the scanner and entered a room with monitors that captured every angle of a second room hooked up to every electrical outlet. The soldiers inside gave their salute.


Approaching a microphone, the Colonel pressed the button and asked, “How is my favorite alien today?”


The dark haired male pounded angrily onto the one way glass that separated him and the smug Colonel.


“You know, you could get out of this hellhole if you tell us where he is.”


The prisoner raised his middle finger at the man he knew was on the other side. The commander chuckled at the response.


“Keep close watch on him. The rescue team is coming.”







 









Chanyeol kept his distance as he followed his stalker a couple of double doors and up the stairs.


“What is this place?” Chanyeol recognized paintings from a few famous artists. The grand chandeliers dangling above the stairs and furnitures looked like they came from the Victorian era. This place hinted that the owners were probably loaded.


“It’s Junmyeon grandparent’s house. They left this estate to him and it's become a safe haven for people like us.”


“People like us?”


“Loosen up a bit and come on in here.” The shorter pushed a mahogany door opened, conversations ceased and four pairs of eyes looked at him.


“The blonde over there is Kim Jongin.” The shorter pointed out.


“Sorry again dude. Teleportation is rough on people.”


Chanyeol stared in shock, “You teleport?”


“Yeah man, how do you think you got from some dingy alley to here? Nice call by the way, going into an alley to confront Baek, very generic.”


The redhead turned to whom Jongin referred to as Baek. “Byun Baekhyun. Or Baek, whatever.”


Chanyeol really didn’t know how to react in this situation so he nodded. The five of them together could probably take him out, plus the blonde had some teleportation powers and Chanyeol felt it was best for him to not mess with them.


“There is Kim Junmyeon, the one who gave the both of us a shower.”


The man on the couch wearing a button up and loafers waved. “I’m sorry about that by the way. Oh! You should dry your hair so you don’t get sick.”


“Did you use a hose?”


“Pardon?”


“The water, did you use a hose while you were on the roof of the building or something.”


Junmyeon laughed in delight. “No, no, you see, I’m a hydrokinetic. I can control water molecules with my mind and move them with arm movements.”


Chanyeol paused. “So, like a waterbender from Avatar?”


Jongin guffawed and Baekhyun smiled in amusement.


“He’s your friend.” Junmyeon used his toe to nudge a brown haired man flipping through TV channels on the remote and  sitting on the couch adjacent to him.


The man leaned over the couch and stuck out his hand, “Hi, I’m Aang. I’m the last airbender.”


“Chanyeol.” He responded. “From the Fire Nation.”


The airbender cackled in delight and Baekhyun bursted out laughing along with him.


Junmyeon angled his leg to kick the man in the . “Give me the remote Sehun.”


The two then proceeded to wrestle for it while Jongin said that he wanted ice cream so he vanished from the living room.


Baekhyun patted Chanyeol on the shoulder. “Welcome to the family of people like us that have unique powers that no one else does.”


The redhead shrugged the shorter’s hand off his shoulder. “It’s been fun and all but I need to go home.”


Junmyeon and Sehun stopped fighting on the couch.


“Why?” Baekhyun trailed down the stairs after the taller. “Chanyeol you can stay here nobody will judge you. We still need your help.”


Chanyeol shook his head. “From what I can see, you all seem more than capable of handling whatever trouble you're in. I appreciate the hospitality but I don’t want to be involved in your problems. I prefer to be alone.”


“You don’t get it Chanyeol. The concept of alone will get you killed the moment you step out of here. Did you think the military would let you go so easily when your fire power can be used to defeat their enemies?”


“I've done fine so far.”


Baekhyun chuckled. “I suggest you check the window.”


The redhead decided to believe in Baekhyun’s words and carefully made his way to the window the shorter was pointing at. Chanyeol leaned against the wall and used the tips of his fingers to brush the curtain to the side.


Chanyeol did headcounts of the men in black suits. He counted two next to a car, another on the phone that occasionally glanced at the man reading a newspaper at the stand.


“In all the years of tailing after somebody, you’d think they would wear something else other than black suits.” Chanyeol let the curtains fall into place and chuckled. “Trying to lose them is a pain. Thought I did a pretty good job laying low.”


“You have red hair, I wouldn’t call that ‘laying low.’” Baekhyun countered and air quoted what the redhead said. “They can’t nab us when we’re together. So, what do you say? Stick with us for the time being or head out there on your own?”


Chanyeol made his way past Baekhyun to go up the stairs again. “I like air conditioning in my room.”


“That’s ironic for a guy with fire powers isn’t it?”






 








The black haired male stomped his barefeet on the metal until it was red and raw. He lost track of how long he has been stuck in the enclosed space- not knowing whether it was day or night. The only concept of time he had was the sound of a door being opened on the other side of the one way mirror. He figured that it must be midnight when the door opened and the sound of heavy boots went farther off into the distance and returned a while later.


White walls surrounded him. The one way mirror taunted and watched his every move. He didn't hesitate to throw a few punches on the mirror for them to watch and shriek until his voice got hoarse for them to listen. The white walls were made to inhibit his powers and the metal floor disabled him from being able to feel the Earth’s core and use his powers.


What confused him was that nobody had come to get him for any sort of tests or questioning yet. He hasn’t stepped foot out of his confined space and he wondered why that was. He hoped  they’d drag him out of this hellhole so he could catch their mistake and get the hell out of here.







 







A week later, Chanyeol had became acquainted with the others that stayed in Junmyeon’s inherited house. It was weird to wait for bathrooms in the morning, but someone always made breakfast so it was worth it.


Jongin was friendly and he could talk endlessly if it was a topic that excited him. Sehun talked loud and laughed even louder. He still wears a retainer at night and had the habit of leaving it everywhere around the house making everyone go on a scavenger hunt at night to find it.


Junmyeon was caring towards everyone but especially to the younger ones. Chanyeol once found an article in Forbes that did a feature on Junmyeon’s company and his path to wealth and success without assistance from his family. The redhead’s eyes bulged at the amount of money that they estimated to be his net worth.


Baekhyun was the first person Chanyeol met and they waged an unspoken warfare about the temperature of the house. Baekhyun raised the temperature so the air conditioning stopped running. When Chanyeol started to sweat, he would lower the temperature so that it would run again.


Chanyeol also walked around the house shirtless most of the time. That or he would forget his clothes in his room after he showered. Thus parading around the house with a towel hanging low on his waist.


It was especially funny for him to see Baekhyun flushed red and yell at him to put on a shirt.


One time Baekhyun had to wake the redhead up-- not knowing that he didn’t wear anything when he slept-- and the shorter got the surprise of his life when he threw the thin blanket off Chanyeol. It was from then on that Chanyeol got shirtless when he saw the shorter just to annoy him and see the flush on his face down to his neck.





 







As sunlight hit his face, Chanyeol groaned and turned his back to the window. The house was quiet today without Sehun’s boisterous laughter and he found it odd.


The thin blanket covered his exposed hip and Chanyeol could feel his body temperature heating up. Byun Baekhyun turned off the air conditioner again. The redhead groaned and rolled out of bed.


“Hey sleepy head, about time you got up.”


The redhead ruffled his hair and yawned. “What time is it?”


“Almost 2 in the afternoon.” The shorter looked up from his laptop.

“I’m hungry, is there anything to eat?.”


“You’re out of luck, Junmyeon dragged the other two out to buy groceries.” Baekhyun focused his attention back on the LED monitor. “Check in the pantry, there are some instant noodles left.”


“Food of the Gods.” Chanyeol cheered and rummaged the pantry. He clumsily knocked over a few canned beans and peas stacked on top of each other to form a neat pyramid.


Baekhyun sighed in exasperation and shut his laptop. He flushed when he saw what Chanyeol wasn’t wearing. “You, go brush your teeth while I make something. And for goodness’ sake, put on a shirt!”


“At least I remembered to put on shorts when I woke up.” Chanyeol muttered as he trudged to the bathroom and the a/c.



Chanyeol was slurping his noodles noisily when he saw the shorter walk past the living room armed with popcorn and blankets.


“What are you doing?”


Baekhyun looked over his shoulder. “Watching a movie. Wanna join?”



Chanyeol stifled a yawn and munched on the last of the popcorn.


“Can we watch another movie, this is boring.” The tall man whined in the dark home theater. He nudged Baekhyun’s leg with his toes.


“It’s not a movie and it's not boring. It’s educational.”


“Hence, boring.” Chanyeol reclined his seat to stretch his mile long legs. “Hey, what’s your power?”


Baekhyun tore his eyes away from the program about some documented mission to the moon. “What?”


“You never showed me your powers before. What is it?” The redhead put his recliner back to its original position and looked at Baekhyun in anticipation.


“Light.”


“Huh?”


“Light.” Baekhyun repeated and activated his power lighting up the dark theater room.


The redhead’s jaw dropped. “You’re glowing.”


“Yep.”


“You’re glowing.” He repeated. “Like a firefly.”


Baekhyun’s skin glowed in the color of gold, his jet black hair shone along with the rest of his body.


In that moment, Chanyeol appreciated Baekhyun’s features. The firefly was an attractive man with eye smiles and mouth turning into a rectangular shape. His looks seemed like nothing special at first, but upon closer inspection and especially when his powers highlighted his features, Chanyeol was a little bit smittened.


Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol who stared at him, unblinking. The firefly teased. “Is this the part where you fall in love with me?”


Baekhyun shut off his powers and right then, the documentary stopped and the room plunged into darkness.


“That’s it?”


“Pretty much. Lame huh.”


“Come on, I bet there’s something more.” Chanyeol said as the shorter stumbled his way over to the light switch.


“What are you doing?” Chanyeol gasped in horror. “No no no wait!”


The redhead groaned with his head in his hand as the overhead light illuminated the room. “How are you not affected?”


“Perks of being a firefly.” Baekhyun laughed at the taller man’s struggle with his visions. He continued,  “It’s pretty much useless except to light up the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. That’s why I’m the brain of the team. I use my computer and science knowledge to help out whenever I can.”


“Beauty with a brain.” The redhead teased. “I’m pretty sure it’s not useless though. Something better will show up you just gotta wait for it.”


“Uh huh. Let’s talk about you now.” Baekhyun folded his legs on the couch. “So, how did you become part of the Fire Nation in the first place?”


“Long story short. I was on my way to deliver some sort of enclosed material in the back of a van. I didn’t know what it was until the van hit a landmine and flipped over. Some sort of chemical got on me and the next thing I know, I woke up in hospital. They discharged me pretty quickly for some odd reason. Said that I got knocked out because I hit my head. But then I discovered my fire power after setting fire to my car.”


“Wow,” Baekhyun breathed. “That was anticlimactic.”


“The car was a rental.”


Baekhyun feigned a shocked expression. “Ooh, that must’ve been terrible.”


Chanyeol laughed mockingly.


“Hey, can I run some tests on you?” Baekhyun asked hopefully.


“What? No?”


“Come on it’ll be interesting to know about your powers and maybe where it originated.”


“This is a crazy idea.”


“Aren’t you at least a bit curious about it?” Baekhyun sauntered to the door. “Besides, don’t you want answers?”


The pyrokinetic heaved a heavy sigh and followed the firefly to wherever the latter was headed.



They descended the stairs and went down the hallway to the last door on the left. Baekhyun pushed it open and waved Chanyeol to go in first. The laboratory was vast with all sorts of computers hooked up to the metal chamber in the middle.


“This chamber is designed to withstand supernatural activity from the inside.” Baekhyun explained while cleaning the smudge on his glasses with the fabric of his shirt. “I built this myself.”


“That thing won’t kill me right?”


“We’ll see.” Baekhyun shrugged. “Now if you would strip down to your underwear, hopefully you are wearing some, and step into the chamber.”


“Where’s the bathroom?”


“Just do it here. There’s no need to be embarrassed. This is all for scientific research.”


“Oh I’m not the one who’s embarrassed.” Chanyeol cracked a grin at Baekhyun who was slowly turning red.



The redhead fumbled with his clothes and Baekhyun volunteered to help hold  them while he took off the rest. The scientist willed himself not to let his eyes wander and instead, bore his gaze into the back of Chanyeol’s head.


Baekhyun appreciated the eye candy nonetheless. Chanyeol was hot, and not just his powers kind of hot. The man was blessed with good looks and height. Baekhyun decided that pictures Jongin had taken when following him around did not do this guy justice at all.


Chanyeol turned and placed the last item on the bundle of clothes Baekhyun was holding. “I’m good to go.”


“Ok.” Baekhyun was eye level with the pyrokinetic’s hard chest. The scientist whipped his head around, face red. “Let’s go do some tests.”



Baekhyun moved the mouse to wake the computers from its slumber as the redhead got into the titanium chamber. With perfect timing, Sehun entered the lab just as the machine powered on.


The chamber closed and the pyrokinetic heard Baekhyun’s voice through the built in intercom.


“Alright Chanyeol, do your worst.”


Chanyeol closed his eyes, squeezed his fists tightly by his sides and let the fire engulf his entire being.


The monitor that reported on the temperature inside went up rapidly.


“His power comes from the core of his body.” Baekhyun stated in shock while looking at the monitor that showed a graphic image of the pyrokinetic’s body to analyze the source of the man’s power.


“Is that good or bad?” Sehun asked.


“Can’t say.” Baekhyun responded as he watched the monitor as the temperature readings went off the charts.


Soon the inferno caused heatwaves across the lab and the chamber’s walls started to melt as it succumbed to the fire.


“Chanyeol! Chanyeol you need to stop!” Baekhyun yelled into the microphone as the fire started to shoot out from the chamber. It got on the tables and set mini fires close to him.


“Chanyeol you need to stop. I’m dropping the oxygen level.” Baekhyun looked to the shocked man next to him. “Sehun! Can you try to contain this?”


Sehun nodded and held out his arms, a cyclone circled the fiery chamber and the air circulated the fire to keep it from spreading as Baekhyun ran to get the fire extinguisher mounted on the wall. He sprayed the small fires before he aimed the extinguisher at and around the pyrokinetic.


Papers flew, chairs and a few desks toppled over due to Sehun’s wind cyclone. Once the situation was contained, the younger left the lab, leaving the two to deal with the mess.


Chanyeol gritted his teeth. “Was that really necessary?” The pyrokinetic was in his fully glory and he used the white foam leftover from the extinguisher to cover up his man pride.


Baekhyun tossed the extinguisher aside. “Yes, that was necessary. Chanyeol you don’t know how to control your powers yet.”



“Like you would know any better. Last time I checked, you’re not the one who’s a pyrokinetic, firefly.”


Chanyeol hastily put on a few article of clothing that he took off earlier.


“Well, the last time I checked, you had no idea your powers have the capability of reaching absolute boiling point. That's as hot as a supernova, which can destroy all human lives, including your own.” The scientist argued.


“That doesn’t excuse you from trying to cut off my oxygen supply in that metal death pod.”


“I had to find a way to control the spread. No oxygen means no fire. I was decreasing it, not blocking it completely. I wasn’t going to let you die.”


The redhead scowled. “I trusted you. I trusted you with my life. Next time, why don’t you focus on hacking through firewalls and leave the supernatural powers to those whose powers are useful.”


Baekhyun’s tightened his jaw when Chanyeol said the last thing. His eyes shone with anger and his hands started to flicker. The pyrokinetic noticed his flickering hands but he also noticed Baekhyun’s right hand in a deep shade of red and the burnt sleeve. Chanyeol realized what he had done and was about to apologize when Sehun ran in breathing heavily.


“Guys we have a problem.”


The two followed Sehun to Junmyeon but Baekhyun stopped in the kitchen on the way to grab a bag of frozen peas. He avoided Chanyeol’s gaze and walked away hastily.


“What happened?” Baekhyun asked as soon as he got into the room.


“Do you remember the CCTVs that you hacked into around our area? Watch-- this was at 9am.” Junmyeon pressed the playback button and a black Jeep went through the intersection.


“Again at 9:30.” Junmyeon continued. “And 30 minutes after that.”


Chanyeol helped clear the table for Sehun to set down the map. “The Jeep was caught at 6th Avenue and again at Villa. These 2 roads are opposite of each other and our location is in the middle.”


“How many times have they circled the neighborhood?”


“It’s 11 right now so about 5 times already. Jongin is tailing them right now.”


“Our black suits buddies are in the system but this isn’t them. They changed their people.” Baekhyun pointed at the screen. “Run the facial recognition program, let’s see if we’ll find a match.”






 








“How long are you gonna keep wasting gas?” The man sitting in the passenger seat asked.


“Long enough to keep them interested.” The driver replied.


“Oh, they’re interested. There’s one following us right now.”


The driver glanced at his rearview mirror. “Which car?”


The man on the passenger side smiled. “On foot.”


The driver turned right and parked in the parking lot of a coffee shop. The two men got out of the car and went into the cafe to order their drinks. They got a table in the corner to finish them.


Jongin headed into the cafe as well. He walked past the two to a table opposite to them. Jongin pulled out his phone and pretended to be preoccupied while he waited for his drink.


When the two finished their drinks, they headed out to their car. As they passed the teleporter’s table, Jongin stood up and accidentally bumped into one of them. Even though Jongin was wearing a leather jacket, he felt the cold seeping into his bones. The blonde froze in his spot as the two exited the cafe and drove away.


Jongin regained his nerves a few moment later. As he got up from his seat, his eyes caught on what looked like to be a newspaper clipping with a bolded headline.


August 9, 1993
Is the government housing aliens at Area 51?


                                             




The facial recognition program scanned the driver of the front seat and the passenger.


“The driver is Kim Minseok. Black ops, 23 missions and 23 confirmed kills.” Junmyeon read the profile aloud. “The guy next to him is Kim Jongdae. Also Black ops, 15 confirmed kills. They were both discharged in April 2010.”


Chanyeol perked up. “I was discharged in the same month after my accident. Coincidences don’t just happen right?”


Jongin reappeared and held up the newspaper clipping.


“Area 51. Kyungsoo is being held there.”


“How do you know for sure?”


“They referred to us as aliens and supernaturals.” Jongin continued. “I tailed the car and then I followed the two guys into a coffee shop. But the weird thing is, when we were leaving, one of them bumped my shoulder and my bones froze inside my body. They might be the same as us.”


“We just found out they were discharged the same time Chanyeol did. It’s possible.” Junmyeon added.


“Wait, what if they knew you were tailing them. What if this is just bait to lure us there?” Baekhyun countered while he flipped the bag of peas to the other side where it was colder.


“We can’t say for sure until we try. Kyungsoo is still locked up and God knows what they're doing to him.”


Chanyeol cut in. “We should go for it. Take the bait and see where it takes us. We have nothing to lose.”


The shorter directed. “Sehun, find anything you can about Area 51’s blueprint or layout.”


Sehun dug through conspiracy theories and internet files of Area 51, he narrowed the search down to 10 resources that contained images of a similar section of Area 51.


“These are the only pictures that appear on the web. Jongin, think you can manage?” Sehun asked.


“I can try.”


“Then it’s settle. Jongin will infiltrate then he’ll teleport each one of us inside.” Junmyeon instructed.


“Good plan, but what if Jongin gets caught by the cameras?” Baekhyun asked. “It’s hard enough for Jongin to get in but if he brings all of us in there’s a higher chance of being caught.”


“Unless, you become invisible.” Chanyeol trailed off.


“How do you suggest I do that?”


“Sehun, what does the current security uniform look like?”


Baekhyun’s droopy eyes shone with excitement. “Jongin can easily teleport while wearing the uniform and keeping his face away from the camera.”


“Oh my goodness this might actually work. This completely crazy one man mission might be successful.” Sehun broke out into laughter.


“I’ll buy us plane tickets.” Junmyeon added. “Except Jongin.”


Baekhyun nodded. “We’re going to Nevada.”





 







Throughout the ride to the airport, Baekhyun didn’t make eye contact nor talk with Chanyeol. Even when they were going through airport security, he remained quiet. Chanyeol tried to walk alongside the shorter to apologize, but Baekhyun avoided him like the plague.


Sehun noticed something was off and tried to pry Baekhyun away to ask him what was wrong, but the latter kept mum. Sehun figured it must’ve had something to do with Baekhyun’s bandaged hand and he gave Chanyeol a nasty look. The redhead accepted the look and sighed.


Their tickets seated them together, but Baekhyun slept for the duration of the flight. Throughout the flight Baekhyun’s head lolled left and right uncomfortable while he was sleeping. The redhead cracked an eye open and he saw the man next to him in deep sleep with his head lurching forward along with the motion of the plane. Baekhyun’s head jerked to the right and he landed on Chanyeol’s shoulder. The redhead slouched in his seat to lower his shoulder for the raven haired male to rest comfortably.






The plane landed smoothly on the runway of McCarran airport, but the humidity of Nevada didn't hit them when they exited the airport.


Jongin waited for them by the car rental kiosk. He'd already filled out the paperwork to rent two cars. Junmyeon would drove one and Chanyeol would drive the other.


The group walked to the car garage and Sehun made a mad dash to call shotgun for Junmyeon’s car, getting there before Jongin. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and got in Chanyeol’s car. He occupied himself with finding a music station, going through over a hundred before he finally found the one that played mainstream pop songs.


“I’m sorry.” The redhead’s deep voice broke and contrasted with the pitchiness of a female singer on the radio. “Sorry for what I said and for burning your hand.”


Baekhyun said quietly. “I’m sorry for trying to kill you. But you weren’t wrong, it’s useless.”


“It’s not useless, without you, what if I need to pee in the middle of the night when there’s a power outage and I can’t find the flashlight. What can anyone do without you?”


Baekhyun cracked a smile.


“Does that smile mean you forgive me firefly?”


The shorter hushed him. “Be quiet this song is my jam.”


The redhead and then asked, “Does it hurt?”


“It still aches but not too bad. It’s still hot though.”


“Can I see?”


Baekhyun unraveled the bandage and the burn was still scarlet.


“I’m gonna try to do something. Tell me if it hurts.” Chanyeol took one hand off the steering wheel, eyes still focused on the road. With his free hand, he put it on Baekhyun’s burn.


The shorter hissed and Chanyeol whispered an apology, but soon the ache went away. The pads of Chanyeol’s fingertips took away the heat and pain.


Baekhyun gasped, surprised as he surveyed where the burn used to be. “Is this the part where you fall in love with me?” The redhead cheekily said as he repeated the question the shorter asked before.


Chanyeol laughed and intertwined his fingers with Baekhyun’s fingers. He held the blushing Baekhyun’s hand throughout the rest of the ride.






 







The dry heat of Nevada was more bearable at night. Junmyeon and Chanyeol parked the cars away from the fences that surrounded the military compound. Everyone changed into the standard uniform equipped with an authentic looking fake ID coined by Baekhyun.


The earpieces were activated and Jongin teleported to Level B Sector 3 based on the first picture.


The rest that were outside tried to find a way to get close to the building undetected.


Baekhyun the scientist pointed out. “These fences are charged with incredibly high voltage that can fry you like a french fry. Now we have to figure out where-”


The redhead channeled his power into a fireball on top of his palm and threw towards the fence. The electric fence melted in the shape of a giant circle. The pyrokinetic gave Baekhyun a wink when he cut him off.


Baekhyun rolled his eyes but his lips upturned into a smile. He went through the melted fence along with the others.






 







Jongin kept his face low whenever the cameras made their rotation. The new Level B Sector 3 was different from the picture but it was still recognizable with the same floor tiles. Not many people were on this floor and the majority of them were in cubicles and doing paperwork. The blonde found the staircase to go down to Level A.


The 4 quickly made their way to Area 51. They leaned on the wall and kept quiet when security walked pass with flashlights. Sehun blew and the force of the wind turned the camera in a different direction.


“Level A is too dark to see.” Jongin said and everyone heard it through the earpiece. “Baekhyun I think I need to bring you in here as a guide.”


“Ok I’m where we were the last time I saw you but further away from the fence and next to the wall.”


“Do you think it’s a good idea for you to go along with him?” The redhead whispered next to him.


“I’ll be ok. Don’t worry about me.” The shorter patted the taller’s shoulder.


Jongin teleported halfway between the fence and the wall and ran towards Baekhyun. He grabbed Baekhyun’s arms and they both disappeared to reappear in the dimly lit endless hallway of Level A. Baekhyun blinded the cameras with light so they wouldn’t be able to record anything.


“Wait, wait I think I feel my dinner coming up.” Baekhyun wheezed and inhaled deeply through his nose. Teleporting with Jongin will always have an affect on him.


When that was done, Baekhyun glowed from head to toe and led the way.


Down the corridors there were empty rooms that had only a chair, table, and bed. The slot in the door showed
that there wasn’t anybody in them. The two kept going and reached the staircase.


“Level B is offices and it might be the same for Level C. They must’ve kept Kyungsoo in lower levels.” Jongin explained.


Baekhyun nodded and went down to Sublevel 1. He cracked the door and snuck a peek at the level.
People were pushing carts with plates and a dome cover on them. Another walked by holding a clipboard.


“Let’s go.” Baekhyun poked Jongin’s shoulder. They waited for the right moment for an empty hallway and Baekhyun to blind the cameras. They walked down the hallway and took a look at the clipboards on the wall next to each room. They made their way further down the hallway where ID access was needed. Baekhyun’s swiped his and the glass door slid open.






 







Kyungsoo didn’t hear any activity on the other side of the mirror. Usually there would be the clicking of keyboard or one of the guard coughed continuously to hack up a lung. Today there was silence and he heard the heavy boots leave a while ago but it was past the usual time when they were supposed to come back.

It couldn’t be. Kyungsoo thought bit his nails.





 








The hallway seemed to get longer with nobody in sight.


“Something’s wrong, there’s nobody here.” Baekhyun pointed out.


Just then, a banging sound echoed through the halls.


“Listen.”


“Stay alert you two.” Junmyeon’s voice came through the earpiece.


The two walked softly towards the banging noise. It was another door that needed ID access. Jongin
wiped his card and the door slide open.


“Kyungsoo!”





 








While he waited anxiously, Kyungsoo pounded the mirror like he always did. Baekhyun found a button and turned it on. Kyungsoo pounded and pounded until he heard a familiar voice coming through the microphone.


“Oh my God, Kyungsoo. We found Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun updated the rest.


“Baekhyun? Is that you?”


“Kyungsoo are you hurt?”


“Jongin? No I’m not hurt.”


“I’m here.” Jongin waved and Kyungsoo looked elsewhere.


“He can’t see us?” Jongin asked.


“It’s a one way mirror. Alright, time to bring Kyungsoo home.”


“Kyungsoo. I’m gonna get you out.” Jongin spoke into the mic.


Kyungsoo was belated until he remembered. “Wait! Wait! Jongin!”


Jongin teleported into the room and gave Kyungsoo a hug. “Hey, I’m going to get you out.”


“You can’t! These walls are made to inhibit powers.”


“Oh .” The teleporter cursed and took Kyungsoo’s hands, he tried to teleport to where Baekhyun was but he was still in the room.


The three outside froze, they had no chance of getting in without Jongin.


Baekhyun heard the sounds of heavy boot running down the halls.


“Someone’s here I have to go!” Baekhyun said quickly into the mic.


“Baekhyun run now!” Chanyeol yelled into the transmitter.


Baekhyun made a mad dash down the halls and climbed a ladder. He glowed when it was dark and he was running through the hallway when the sound of guns blasted.



Everyone heard the rounds of gunfire and looked at each other in horror. Chanyeol placed his hands on the cement wall, he inhaled deeply and flames engulfed his body. He pushed the walls and increased the power of the roaring flames towards his hands. The walls gave in and the three were able to get inside. They followed the sound of guns.


“Hold on for a bit firefly.” Chanyeol spoke into transmitter.




Baekhyun raised his arms to shield himself from the bullets. He shut his eyes tightly and prepared to feel the pain but it never came. Instead, he was glowing brighter than he ever had, and the bullets ricocheted off of a see through shield made from light particles.


Baekhyun used the fragments from his shield to slice the light bulbs in the ceiling and the hall plunged into darkness. Baekhyun navigated his way through the dark and he heard something rolling on the ground, when he realized what it was but it was too late.


The rounds of gunfire stopped. The three ran harder and they came to an abrupt stop when they were pinpointed by lasers. Sehun used his cyclone powers to throw some of the personnel in heavy gears and masks across the room. Junmyeon accumulated water from his sweat and used it as a fighting mechanism.
“Chanyeol go! We can hold them off.”


The redhead ran and threw fireballs at the people who tried to gun him down.


“I said not to kill him!” A burly and tall army clothes clad yelled into the transmitter. “We need him alive!”


“Colonel Jung?”


The colonel whipped his head in the redhead’s direction and slowly backed away. “Park Chanyeol.”


“You were behind all of this?”


“It was for the greater good of the country.” Colonel Jung explained with one hand on his holster.


“Greater good of the country means locking innocent people up?”


“They are not innocent people. They are weapons of mass destruction and letting them loose would mean chaos to the world. I am trying to make the world a better place.” The Colonel pulled out his gun and leveled it at Chanyeol.


“You’re right. I am a weapon of mass destruction.” Chanyeol covered himself in flames as the Colonel opened fire while he ran away. Chanyeol brushed away the incoming bullets with a wave of his hand and his flames moved them away from their path towards him.





 







Baekhyun’s ears were ringing and he could taste copper in his mouth. His eyes were in and out of focus and he felt himself being carried away. He could feel his heart beating in his ears, but he was able to regain control with one ear impaled by shrapnels and manipulated the light in his captors’ night vision goggles. They groaned at the immense pain in their eyes and loosened their grips on him as he kicked them in the legs.


The firefly ran in the other direction and he used his illuminating powers to see. When he saw his captors getting close again, he flashed them with his bright light that rivaled the sun and they howled in pain.


Baekhyun made his way up the stairs when he was shot in the back by a taser gun. He fell on the staircase and they shot him again with the tasers to make sure he wouldn’t do anything. Baekhyun’s body didn’t listen to him as it went limp and he was carried away.






 







Chanyeol was furious at the betrayal of his mentor and the man he once trusted. The man he once looked up to and trusted him with his secret.


“You had them tailed me didn’t you Colonel? You gave me a place to live but it was a place where you can follow my every move.” Chanyeol said as he walked through the halls to find the hiding man. “You got scared when I left so you had your minions tailed me.”


The redhead squeezed his fists and fire came out from them. “Aren’t you a little old to play hide and seek?”


The Colonel’s back up arrived and Chanyeol whipped them with his fire. More came and Colonel Jung used that chance to get away.





 







Baekhyun’s limp body was set on a hospital table and his limbs were strapped in. A heavy metal helmet was put on his head. There were different cords coming out from the top of it that fed into a computer outside of the room.


“What will you do to me?” Baekhyun asked the old man who looked like the scientist in charge.


“Light is the most powerful and most abundant resource of this planet. It can be used to power everything.” The scientist added. “Those who fear the darkness have never seen what light can do.”


He gave the signal and went out of the room. The old man appeared again with the Colonel as they watched Baekhyun powers extracted from him through a window.


The machine powered up and Baekhyun screamed. The signal went deep inside his bone and forcefully tried to separate the photons in his brain that gave him the light powers. The computer that fed from the photons in Baekhyun’s brain transferred to energy to the nuclear power plants.


Baekhyun felt as if his head was going to split into two. The blood dripped from his nose and he felt his body growing weaker as time passed.





 







Jongin pounded on the walls and tried hard to force himself to teleport.


“It won’t work. Been there done that.”


Jongin flopped on the floor next to Kyungsoo. “What are we supposed to do now?”


Kyungsoo sighed. “I don’t know.”


“Shush.” Kyungsoo pressed his ear against the door and heard the sound of heavy boots thudding against the floor.


Kyungsoo pounded his fists on the door and Jongin stood to the side where he could see who opened the door and take them out.


An unsuspecting guard heard the muffled pounds and he used his key to unlock the door. He pushed it open and got a fistful of Jongin on his nose. They dashed out of the room and Kyungsoo could  feel the vibrations of the Earth. He’d never felt happier to get out.





 







Junmyeon and Sehun easily took down guards and guns when they combined their powers together. Sehun would create whiplashes and Junmyeon would cover him from the back.


“Jongin? Chanyeol? Baekhyun? Come in.” Junmyeon spoke into the transmitter and all he received was static noises.


“Jun-Junmyeon?” Static noises mixed with Jongin’s voice came through the earpiece. “I got out with Kyungsoo. Are you guys ok?”


“We’re fine. What about Chanyeol have you seen him?”


“Chanyeol didn’t go to our sector I think he took another path.”


“Hello? Can anyone hear me?” A fourth voice went through and it belonged to the deep voice redhead. “I’m at the facility of the North Wing, Level A.”

“On our way.” Sehun confirmed.


“Copy that.” Jongin said.





 







“Stay alert, something feels wrong, that was way too easy of a fight.” Chanyeol warned.


“Got it.” Jongin nodded.


The ground beneath their feet started shaking.


“What’s happening?” Sehun asked.



Chanyeol raced on ahead on the shaky ground. He entered a room where Baekhyun laid unmoving with a metal helmet on head. Chanyeol was about to advanced towards the petite man when he was stopped in his tracks by the white foam from the fire extinguisher. Colonel Jung was spraying it at the pyrokinetic and Chanyeol narrowly avoided being splattered with it.


Junmyeon used his water powers to wrap around the Colonel’s arm like a rope. He almost got oil poured on him by the old man in the white lab coat if Jongin hadn’t teleported to the other side of the room last minute. Water and oil don’t mix well and had Junmyeon gotten oil on him, his powers would be rendered useless.


Sehun trapped the old man in a cyclone and Kyungsoo distracted the Colonel by throwing rocks at his head. Kyungsoo caused a mudslide under the man’s feet as he tried to run away. The redhead ran over to Baekhyun and removed the metal trap around the latter’s head carefully. Baekhyun’s breaths came out in short huffs.


Baekhyun’s eyes shot open and to their surprise, he grabbed Chanyeol’s arm and threw him across the room.


“Baekhyun, what the hell!” Sehun yelled, Baekhyun turned to him, eyes blank and void of emotions. He then shot Sehun with beams of light from his hand. Sehun managed to duck for cover in time.


“Baekhyun. It’s us. We’re your friends, don’t you remember?” Junmyeon called out. He used his water powers to wrap around Baekhyun’s hands and feet.


The expressionless Baekhyun destroyed all source of light in the room. He then glowed brightly and Sehun ordered everyone to close their eyes. He blinded his them and proceeded to attack. He was about to impale Kyungsoo with a sharp rod made from light particles when he got hit by a fireball.


“Baekhyun! Wake up!” The pyrokinetic aimed more fireballs at the shorter, but Baekhyun avoided most of them and shot beams at Chanyeol.


Chanyeol was able to get out of the way and he lured Baekhyun out of the room. Still, the shorter was able to hit him with a beam through the pyrokinetic’s left shoulder.


“Goddammit Baekhyun.”


Chanyeol hid behind a column as the shorter was approaching. Rocks flew and hit Baekhyun’s head repeatedly, but with only enough force to distract him.


“Hey, over here.” Kyungsoo called. Jongin teleported the man away and Baekhyun went in another direction to follow.


“Remind me to never get on Baekhyun’s bad side.” The redhead stated.


“T minus 10 minutes.” The automated voice warned, the beeps transmitted to Chanyeol’s earpiece.


“What now?” The pyrokinetic groaned.


“The nuclear power plants that Baekhyun was powering earlier are going to go off!” Sehun yelled into the transmitter.


Chanyeol threw a fireball at Baekhyun’s direction. “Plants? How many are there?” He yelled back.


“Four!”


“Have you found a way to shut them down?”


“Trying to, It’s too dark in here and I don’t think there’s a cancellation button.” Junmyeon came on the transmitter.


The old scientist crawled out from his hiding place, Junmyeon used his water ropes and held the man upside down. “Where is the goddamn cancel button?”


“T-there was n-never a cancel button made. T-there didn’t need to be one.”


“So, we have to take them out manually? All four of them?” Chanyeol asked into the transmitter. “Damn it Baekhyun why do you have to be so strong?”


The redhead dusted himself off and sprinted in Baekhyun’s direction.
“I have an idea.” Chanyeol continued. “Jongin and Kyungsoo, lure Baekhyun outside and get him to be as close to the power plant as possible.”


“Roger that.”


“Sehun, can you recreate the cyclone when you contained my powers in the chamber? Only this time it has to be 10 times tougher.”


“I think I can manage that.”


“Good.” Chanyeol continued as he went up 3 stairs at a time to get to the exit. “Junmyeon, I need you to douse as much water on us as you can after the power plants explode.”


“What kind of crazy plan is this?” Junmyeon asked after he bounded and gagged the scientist and Colonel with his water ropes.


“A crazy plan that might work or we’ll all die.”


“That sounds promising.”


Jongin interrupted. “We got him to the plants, and he doesn’t look too happy with us.”


“Thank you. Now get the hell out of there.” Chanyeol’s headed towards the plants with his body engulfed in flames. Baekhyun rounded up the light particles from the early morning and created a sword to wield.


The pyrokinetic blasted Baekhyun with fire and the shorter changed the sword to a shield.


“That is so unfair.” The pyrokinetic murmured.


Chanyeol threw fireballs and shot fire beams to force the man in a trance like state to move backwards and closer to the plants.


“Is blocking the only thing you can do? How weak.” The pyrokinetic taunted.


Baekhyun disintegrated his shield and held out his palms and prepared to shoot Chanyeol with more beams. Chanyeol stood across from Baekhyun and held out his palms in the same stance as the shorter. The plants were close to detonation and the pyrokinetic and firefly shot each other with their respective powers.


The fire and laser beams met in the middle and it exploded. Sehun quickly built a cyclone while Junmyeon got ready for a heavy downpour.


The first explosion went off followed by the other three. The blasts from Chanyeol and Baekhyun combined with the explosion was too much to handle. Sehun’s cyclone began to falter due to an exhausted Sehun exerting too much power. Junmyeon was ready for the downpour but he held off on it as he saw waves of fumes began to dissipate and he didn’t want it to mix with the atmosphere. Kyungsoo built a fortress of rocks around the area but the fumes accumulated and leaked through the cracks in the rocks.


Fortunately, a dome created by light particles trapped the toxic fumes. They rushed to the site and saw a very Chanyeol next to a blonde Baekhyun with tattered clothes.


They approached the two carefully. Junmyeon extinguished small fires around them.


“Is he our Baekhyun?” Sehun asked.


“Woah, he’s blonde too?”


“There’s only one way to find out.” Kyungsoo gingerly kicked Baekhyun’s foot. The man stirred and cracked an eye open.


“Baekhyun, if you could bring one of us to an abandoned island with you, who will you bring?”


“Jongin. He can teleport me away from the abandoned island.”


Junmyeon nodded. “Yep, that’s him.”


“Come on, let’s get them to a safe place.” Kyungsoo said.









The air conditioner blasted and Baekhyun shivered. He sleepily wound the blanket around himself and went to the thermostat to raise the temperature.


“Don’t you dare touch it, firefly.” The deep voice bellowed.


Baekhyun turned around and raised an eyebrow. “You know, normal people would greet each other, especially when they haven’t seen each other in a long time.


“We’re far from normal.” Chanyeol leaned his half self against the frame. “Hello Baekhyun, blonde looks good on you.”


Baekhyun blushed and touched his new blonde hair that was a result of the overexertion of his powers. He liked the blonde result and the rediscovery of his powers and what he could truly do.


The redhead got closer to the blonde to ruffle his hair. “Why is it that when I overexert myself, all my clothes get burned off? But you got a real nice dye job?”


Chanyeol kept his gaze on the shorter’s face and his eyes trailed from the top of Baekhyun’s head, down the the slope of his button nose, t his droopy eyes and moles littered across his face.


Sehun walked past to see Chanyeol’s hands on both sides of Baekhyun’s shoulders and that they were staring at each other.


“For the sake of all things holy, just kiss and get it over with. I’m sick and tired of these longing gazes and shy smiles.” Sehun shuddered and walked away. “This is like high school again. The Dark Ages.”


Baekhyun flushed again and receded back into his room. Chanyeol suddenly cried out in pain and clutched his bandaged shoulder.


“Ow, it hurts. Ow, I’m going to die. Ow, Baekhyun help me.”


The blonde cracked his door open and squinted at the man. Chanyeol acted like he was in more pain.


The petite blonde felt bad and he checked Chanyeol’s injury. The redhead broke into a victorious grin when the shorter wasn’t looking and feigned pain when Baekhyun tilted his head up.


The redhead was ready to find out for himself if Baekhyun’s lips were as soft as they looked and he snuck a kiss.


Baekhyun’s eyes widened when Chanyeol’s plump lips made contact with his unsuspecting thin ones. It was a chaste kiss that lasted for a few seconds. Chanyeol pulled away and examined Baekhyun’s face. The shorter tilted his head upwards, stood on his tiptoe and connected their lips again. The redhead got over his initial shock from the petite blonde kissing him, he wrapped his arms around the the shorter’s waist and backed him up against a wall. He softly bit Baekhyun’s lower lip and the blonde gasped when the redhead’s tongue entered and Chanyeol French kissed him.


They broke away to catch their breaths, Chanyeol engulfed the smaller man in a hug and Baekhyun’s face was buried in the redhead’s bare chest. He turned a dark shade of red at the realization. Chanyeol ran his hand through the shorter's blonde hair before kissing him on his bandaged ear.


"The blonde on you is a major turn on. Nice going, firefly."


Chanyeol whispered in his husky voice before he kissed him on the lips again, and Baekhyun responded.