Chapter Seven

Wolf and the Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

VII

 

 

 

Jongdae talks a lot. In an almost exaggerated way, really. He continues to move from side to side as if he has fire under his feet, which is very annoying because he is leading me to the right way to a breakdown. So, after five minutes I am forced to ask him to stop somewhere and, for heaven's sake, relax. He's giving me a headache and I really don't want it. 

I ignore his millionth question ("Did you smell how much Tao stinks after ten minutes of training?") and turn to Yifan, sending him a desperate look. He shrugs and continues to arrange the logs of wood in the fireplace: he is probably accostumed to all Jongdae's talk, as well as the rest of the pack, who seem to perceive him more as a background noise. 

Jongdae, however, jumps on the couch next to me and surrounds my shoulders with his right arm.

"Soooo, now that you're one of us, what do you think?"

I frown, confused, not understanding what he is referring to. I'm not even certain I want to bring this conversation forward, but they all seem very interested and are giving me looks of anticipation; they're so waiting for an answer.

"What do I think of what, precisely?"

"Of the pack! And the werewolves thing! Oh, and about Yifan, of course. Please, tell me he did something embarassing. And I want details."

My eyes immediately search Yifan's and I fin him intent on watching me as if I am a particularly fascinating creature, like those who spend their lives locked in cages under the watchful eyes of the scientists. It's evident that he too would like to hear an answer, so I take a deep breath and tell the truth.

"For some absurd reason, the fact that you are able to change your shape does not surprise me as it should do. Sure, you all seem to come out from an ancient legend, but the world is full of inexplicable things and who am I to judge? I mean, on the other hand, human beings are nothing more than a bit more evolved animals, so I like to think that you are... well, special beings with capacity a little out of the ordinary."

No one talks. The only noise I can hear is the fire crackling in the fireplace: if I am not sure that even wolves need oxygen, I swear that none of them is breathing. Then, finally, Zitao starts laughing and the tension dissolves almost by magic. I look at him puzzled because, really, everyone should stop acting so strangely. The fact that they are so emotionally unstable confuses me.

"I didn't expect an answer like that." Zitao stutters, wiping away a tear. Yixing throws him a pillow with so much force that Zitao ends up on the floor with a soft thud. He gives Yixing one mortally offended look and it seems like he almost wants to jump on him and punch him, then Yixing talks and Zitao's anger deflates like a balloon.

"Don't tease the Princess." he says it in such a serious way - as if he was the offended one - that I start to laugh. Lately, I have the impression to be finished in some kind of supernatural sitcom, but it's still better than the life I have led up until this moment.

"Yeah, Zitao, remember who's in charge." says Minseok, with an amused grin on his lips. Zitao rolls his eyes, then lifts from the ground and bouws in my direction.

"I humbly apologize, Your Majesty, I will never be so disrespectful again." his voice is dripping so sharp sarcasm that I almost feel bad, but I convince myself that the hatred I suddenly perceive is merely a sensation: on the other hand, I never pay attention to this Princess story, nor have I wanted to be treat in such a respectful way.

I don't even know what it means to be a Princess!

I approach Zitao, the urge to laugh completely gone. He addresses me a grim look and I arch my eyebrows, almost daring him to say something. Then, at the exact moment when he opens his mouth to pull off another sarcastic comment, I hit his shoulder with a fist.

"Stop being an idiot."

I don't understand why the air has suddenly become so heavy, but I don't like it at all. No use pretending that I don't feel a little hurt: I thought that Zitao and I were becoming friends, but apparently I was really wrong. The thought makes my stomach twist, so I breathe deeply to calm down, before I finally lose my patience - or burst into tears, which is much more likely.

Yifan snorts, then sighs and turns to give Zitao an annoyed look that makes him roll his eyes again. He approaches me and touches my arm gently, as if afraid to unleash my fury. As if it is possible: I'm so bewildered by this situation that I don't know how to react.

"Let's talk, EunAh."

And here it comes, at last, the time for explanation. I kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter