Chapter Six

Wolf and the Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

VI

 

 

 

"Finally."

Zitao greets me with a grimace and continues to devour his slice of bread with an unbelievable fury: looking at him, I have the feelings that he hasn't eat for entire weeks.

I'm too sleepy to be kind, so I reach the refrigerator to get a bottle of fresh water. I rub my eyes and yawn, my gaze searching for Yifan. As if he knews all too well what I'm about ask, Zitao indicates the entrance of the house. He swallos a particularly large bite, then he reaches out to steal my glass of water. He drinks a few sips greedly and smiles and me. I still can't figure out if I like him or not, but if he smiles in this weird way I cannot help but feel a vein of sympathy for him.

"He's trying to fix the door, but if you want my opinion, you should put something a bit 'more massive."

"I'm so sorry, Zitao. I did not foresee the invasion of a pack of wolves." I hiss, sarcastic. I sit by his side and grab a chocolate cookie from the plate placed in the center of the table. I sigh, thrilled and mentally thank whoever prepared this fabulous breakfast. He has my eternal gratitude.

"If it can be of any consolation, I'm sorry. I did not know the spare kays were under the rug, but we really need a place and Yifan's smell led us straight here."

"How do you know about the keys under the- well, never mind. Now's gone." I shrug and swallow another cookie.

"You take it well, it seems." Yifan appears in the kitchen doorway, a serene smile on his lips and eyes sparkling with fun. He's wearing a black tank top that highlights his broad shoulders and wide chest. Remember to breathe, I repeat spellbound.

"What do you want me to say? A good beginning bodes well."

Zitao chuckles and ruffles my hair. I smile at him and I watch with surprise while he poures me a cup of hot coffee. I like him, it's official. 

"How are you?" Yifan caresses my shoulders and adjusts a lock of hair behind my ear. I surrender against his hands, wrapped in his warm and cuddled by these small signs of affection.

"Good. I would never have said that, but I slept like a dead. How's Luhan?"

"He's better. And he wants to talk to you, but before finish eating breakfast."

I nod and focus on my beloved biscuits. For some strange reason I slept like a stone all night, without nightmares of any kind. Considering the state I was in, I expected at least to spend a hell of a night. Instead, I feel inexplicably regenerated and ready to face everything, including the tons of information that, at this point, I have the right to receive. Yifan remains silent, watching me carefully as waiting for the moment I'll freak out.

"I'm fine, really." I reassure him, calm. After another scrutinizing glance, Yifan seems to believe me. He smiles again and his eyes take the form of those crescents that I like so much.

"Yixing exaggerated with the vervain." He mutters, somewhere between annoyed and amused. I look at him pretty confused, but he shakes his head as if to say to let it go and dunk a biscuit in my coffee. From the leaving room, meanwhile, Zitao screams something about a insect bigger than a cat.

"It will be a long day."

 

For someone who has been shot, Luhan is not doing too bad. Sure, his circles are almost scary and his face is very pale and a bit dug, but nothing that a little rest won't fix. We greet each other with a shy smile and when I crouch down in front of the couch, he touches my shoulder with his hand.

"I'm sorry for what happened. I heard that Tao jumped on you." He murmurs, his eyes filled with sincere regret. I shake my head and settle a bit better the blanket on his hips. Zitao, meanwhile, is fidgetting in his chair, wringing his hands nervously: he keeps looking at Yifan, half expecting to be murdered.

"It's not like that! If you put it in those terms, you make me look like a ert!" he protests, vehement, his cheeks flushed with anger.

I chuckle and throw him a pillow, interrupting Yifan that, judging by his expression, is about to say something unpleasant.

"No probs, Zitao. All forgotten."

"Not exactly." mutters Yifan, behind the couch. Yifan swallows loudly and I roll my eye.

"No one was hurt, right? Besides, if he really wanted to kill me, he could have do it right away." I scroll my shoulders and focus again on Luhan. The delicate features of his face relaxes and he let out a relieved sighs, as if knowing that I have forgiven Zitao is the greatest news.

"Are you sure you don't wanna go to the hospital?" I ask, still worried about his wound.

"Yixing is a great healer, EunAh-sshi. He takes care of the pack better than a nurse."

"Don't call me nurse, Luhan. You know I don't like it."

Yixing makes its appearance in the living room, wearing only a pair of torn jeans. He's barefoot and leaves traces of mud and grass all the way t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter