Chapter 2

Till tomorrow...

Ιt was already 2 o'clock when we get at Daehyun's home. We were a little late not because we had stuck at traffic jam,by contrast,there wasn't any traffic at all. Daehyun returned his grey vespa back to the center of the postal service and we had to use public transportation. Throughout the whole ride we didn't exchange any word,he was listening music from a mp3 he had and I was just looking outside the window of the crowded bus. After some minutes I started to realize that we were getting away from the town and soon I found myself looking at a place which was nothing like the town I was all these days: the tall and modern buildings were replaced by some detached houses,which were some of them built with wood and others with cheap plasterboard and the view of the sea wasn't as beautiful as someone could see from an appartment in the town. We were surely at the suburban area of Busan,where live most of the working class people. One hour later we got off from the - now almost empty- bus and after walking around some narrow alleys we were finally at his house. Daehyun,still with his white headphones on,opened the small wooden door of his yard followed by me and soon we were inside his house. The first thing I notice in his house was that the kitchen and the living room were abruptly conected with each other,maybe it was once one room and Daehyun divided into two. But even thought they were two different rooms in one,there were barely some furniture there: two big old styled couches,an old tv in front of them and some meters away was a small rounded table with four chairs. That was the living room. The kitchen contained a white counter with some plates and a rice cooker laid on it,a sink,a stove and of course a fridge. "I know it's not the house you expected,but it's cozy enough" My head turned towards an embarrassed Daehyun,who had already take off his shoes and was inside the kitchen searching his almost empty cupboard -inside it was only two packages of ramyun and some rice- "Well..you could say that. The house it's already small,and as I can see you are..you know..poor,how are you supposed to host me?" I took off my sneakers and approached him still holding my guitar with my right hand and with the backpack still hanging in my left shoulder. Daehyun turned at me with his eyebrow lightly raised "First off all that was rude,you can't just tell to people they are poor and second if I couldn't handle hosting you I wouldn't suggest you living with me." After taking the two remaining packages from the cupboard,he put the raw ramyun inside a pot of boiling water. "So Himchan why are you in Busan?" "Didn't you heard my conversation with my aunt?" "I said I heard your conversation but only the last part of it,not the whole conversation." Daehyun went to the living room and sat at a couch. "Aish,it's a long story" I placed my guitar and backpack next to the empty couch and I sat on it,looking at the brown-haired man next to me. "I left from my house in Seoul with my girlfriend and came here,searching for a new life. We had both decided that the money we had weren't enough and we needed immediately some money. So,we planned on take advantage of a rich man who was known for being playboy." "Why you didn't just seached for a job? You didn't have to use your girlfriend like that you know" Daehyun crossed his hands as he was looking at me. "I didn't used her. We both agreed with this plan. Anyway,we knew that he was usually hanging out on the casino here,so we went there. All of our money were spent at the casino and as I result after some days we were out of money. But eventually my girlfriend started to spend some time with the old businessman. After a day she dumped me for him" "She dumped you for an old rich man?" He chuckled and shook his head. "Yeah" I lied to him,Siwon wasn't anything like an old man,he had everything a woman wants,he was handsome -not as handsome as me of course-,with most of Korea's companies on his hands,he was popular and congenial among people,but I didn't want to get embarassed in front of Daehyun so I didn't reveal his true identity. "I see..your girlfriend then is a prospector, searching for gold instead of love. You should feel thankful for getting rid of her." "How could you say something like that Daehyun?" I looked at him,feeling a little annoyed due to his last comment. "I loved her. Sure I'm angry but I would never feel thankfull for having her out of my life. We were couple for two years,we shared thousands of good moments,we had good and difficult times. She left me for someone better,someone who can take good card of her. I hated how she betrayed me but I'm never going to feel thankfull for our break up. I bet you never have fall in love,right?" Daehyun after taking a deep breath he stood up and went directly to the kitchen where he prepared the ramyun by putting them in a large bowl with the right seasonings and placing it upon the round table with a pair of chopsticks next to it. "Eat. I have to go." He,then,walked towards a door I didn't noticed before -I guessed it was his room- and went inside without slamming the door as I thought he would. Immediately I felt sorry for saying what I said,maybe I insulted him or I reminded him something unwanted. I stood up from the couch and went next to his door. "Daehyun. Are you mad at me?" I placed my ear upon the door waiting for an answer,an answer he gave me some seconds later. "No Himchan I'm not. Satisfied? Go and eat. I have to go soon" Suddenly,he opened the door making me almost falling on him but my tight grip on the door,saved both of us. My face was only some inches away from his and my eyes automatically were examing his face. I noticed he had a small mole under his left eye,which I found curiously cute on him. Daehyun on the other hand was looking coldly at me and passed me without saying anything.


I went back to the living room where Daehyun was putting his shoes,sitting on the arm of his green couch. "Where are you going?" "I have to go to my work" "But didn't you finish your work some hours ago? We left the vespa at your work." After tying his shoes he stood up and took in his hand a blue notebook which was at the table some seconds ago. "I don't work only as a postman." He handed me the notebook "Don't ask me what is my other job,I'm not going to tell you. I feel a little embarrassed for doing that job. I don't feel like sharing it." If you don't want me to know,it's fine Daehyun I'm not going to ask you. But can I ask you something else?" Daehyun nodded his head "Why are you working two jobs? Your parents don't give you any money right?" As soon as I asked him for his parents,he shooked his head and looked away from me. "I didn't get to tell you that,I'm an orphan." He raised his gaze at me "They died in a car accident when I was 8,now I'm 20 and I live without parents,without a sister or brother. I thought that you have guessed that I live all alone since I live at this small house but apparently you didn't." I was looking shocked at him,of course I didn't expect Daehyun to be an orphan,I thought he was a college student from another town or something. I felt stupid for guessing that. "I'm sorry" "You don't have to but thank you. Anyway-" Before Daehyun had the time to finish his sentence,a noicr was heard,like someone was opening the door and in a split of seconds a kid was in the living room looking at Daehyun. The young boy wasn't older than seven years old,he was wearing a school uniform and had a large blue backpack with a cartoon character in it. He was short and thin but had a cute smile upon his little face. "Daehyun hyung!" The kid hugged him tightly,burring himself at Daehyun's embrance. "How was your day Junghwan?" The kid,Junghwan,let go of Daehyun and smiled even wider. "Good. We are learning about multiplication now." I was watching silently the conversations between them without knowing if I should say something too. Junghwan was looking so happy and Daehyun so caring,he looked like his older brother, but that would be impossible. I looked at the kid which was also looking at me from head to toe. "Who is he?" The young boy pointed at me ,pouting at Daehyun who was simply smiling. "He's Himchan. He's going to live with me for some months." "He's your friend? He's handsome but he looks like an evil cat" A laugh almost slipped my mouth because I his comparison but I held it with covering my mouth. "He's not an evil cat Junghwan" Daehyun answered for me and pinched his cheek. "Anyway,you are here for the bag right? Wait here." Daehyun went to his room leaving me with Junghwan. "So Junghwan..how old are you?" I looked at him smiling,but the young boy looked at me deadly serious with his hands being crossed over his chest. "If you make Daehyun hyung cry I will hit you hard with my baseball bat" "W-What?" I looked at him puzzlas,not being sure if he was kidding or he meant what he said. I didn't have the time to ask him,because Daehyun was back at the room handing him a transparent plastic bag with the logo of a supermarket on it. "Everything are inside the bag,okay? Now go to your house,mother is waiting for you." Junghwan nodded his head and after kissing him in the cheek,he left from the house. "Daehyun,who was him?" "Junghwan,typically my younger brother. You see,his mother and father took care of me after my parents passed away. My relatives didn't want to take care of me,they didn't want me,I don't know why they just didn't. I was going to grown up at an orphanage but Junghwan's parents found me and immediately loved me like I was their real child. Isn't it funny? Your own relatives to hate you but some straingers who don't have a lot of money to love you? It's horrifically funny." Hearing Daehyun saying these,I immediately recalled my aunt. She didn't care about me at all,she prefered denying leting me inside her house rathen than help me."To tell the truth i find myself agree with you. Even the closest relatives can be so much cruel." "You don't say?" He chuckled. "And why Junghwan came here? He came to see you?" "Yeah and that. But he also came for the bag. Usually i buy some food for my brother and my mother,my father passed away a year ago. I also buy medicines for mother,she's sick.Anyway,i am in a hurry." He opened the notebook i was holding at a random page and gave me a pen. "Can you draw me some words in sign language please? You know just draw the right hand position and write the word. I'll understand don't worry." "Daehyun you can't learn sign language like this. We have to be face to face." "I know. Only for today ok? I'll be back at home late at night and I'll be tired,I'm asking you this so I don't delay learning sign language." I closed the notebook and nodded my head. "Fine. But are you really leaving now?" Daehyun was already at the door,opening it "Yeah,what's wrong with that?" "You...trust me? How can you be sure that I'll not steal your things?" He shrugged his shoulders,like he doesn't care at all. "Look around Himchan. Do you think there is something worth stealing it? I don't think so." He stepped outside the house and before closing the door he smiled at me and said I can use everything he had on his house.