Abandoned Roses

Abandoned Roses

There was a garden outside of the school, Baekhyun's favorite place. He loved to hang out there, breathe in the sweet aroma of the flowers. Baekhyun only had one thing he truly loved more than the flowers. That was Park Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol is a boy in Baekhyun's class. He couldn't get close to him though and he's sure Chanyeol doesn't know him, because he's pretty popular. Chanyeol is probably the most popular boy in school, he's got lots of girls swooning over him. He has lots of guys too but the guys aren't interested in him the same way the girls are. The guys want to be closer with him so that they get girls too. Baekhyun was different from both of them. He genuinely loved Chanyeol and it wasn't because he was popular, he's been in the same class as Chanyeol since kindergarten. Baekhyun isn't sure but he thinks he's always loved Chanyeol. There was one thing they both have in common, they didn't have friends. Chanyeol wasn't sure who he could trust, what if they were in it for the fame? Baekhyun just kept to himself a lot. Baekhyun and Chanyeol have only officially spoken to each other once, in kindergarten. Baekhyun is happy that was one of the few memories he has of kindergarten. Chanyeol seemed like a nice guy and Baekhyun is certain he's still the same. If only he could talk to him...

 

Baekhyun had a box with his favorite memories in it. He kept all his class photos in there. In every one of them, he was looking at Chanyeol instead of the camera. He also has other pictures of Chanyeol. There was one where Baekhyun cut out the person in the picture and stuck his picture instead. He only did it once because he knew it was stupid. One day, he was sitting in the garden, writing something on paper. He eyed a rose bush that was in front of him. "The roses will be full bloom soon." Baekhyun smiled to himself. "So will my heart if he accepts my feelings..." He blushed thinking about it. He finished his letter and put it in an envelope. He went back to school and snuck to the lockers. He hid his letter in Chanyeol's locker and left quickly before anyone could come. He went back to his garden, daydreaming about what could happen.

 

A few days later, the day Chanyeol was supposed to meet Baekhyun at the garden, Baekhyun was waiting. He had brought his box with him. He waited for almost an hour. He came early because he was too excited. While waiting, he started thinking "What if he doesn't accept my feelings!?" He looked at the stuff in the box, and he scratched his faces in every picture. After a while, he calmed down. "Anything could happen..." He told himself. Chanyeol was finally seen coming. Baekhyun scrambled to his feet. "Are you the one who left this letter?" Chanyeol asked, while coolly holding it with two fingers, and Baekhyun's heart fluttered at his deep voice. He nodded slowly. Baekhyun noticed Chanyeol eyeing the roses behind him. Chanyeol wasn't smiling, he never does, but Baekhyun could tell he thought the flowers were beautiful. He stared at them for a while before turning back to look at Baekhyun. He raised an eyebrow, a way to tell him to start. "Uh...before I say anything, there's this box I want you to look at..." He said, giving him the box. Chanyeol was about to open it before Baekhyun stopped him. "No, not yet! Later..." Baekhyun said. "I wanted to tell you something first..." He told him and Chanyeol went back to looking at him. "Uh...well, I..." He started getting nervous. "I like you..." He finished. Chanyeol widened his eyes. "But you're a guy!" He exclaimed making Baekhyun widen his eyes as well. "Oh sorry, I didn't mean it like that..." He apologized. "Um, thank you for the gift but, I'm afraid I can't accept your feelings." Chanyeol told him as he was about to set the box down. "No! Please take it. It's not a gift..." Baekhyun was trying his hardest to fight off his tears. "I'll take it if you really want me to." Chanyeol said before turning to walk away. When he was out of view, Baekhyun sat on the floor to let his tears fall.

 

For the next few days, Baekhyun skipped school. He went to his garden and stayed there the whole time, mostly crying. Chanyeol, was sitting on his desk, as usual, people were all over him. He noticed the seat next to him was empty. This is surprising because the other seats were empty too. Chanyeol doesn't even know his name but he knows the person who confessed to him a week ago, has been missing since then. He thought it was just another fake confession; he's always getting those, for attention. That's the reason he declined. Chanyeol remembered he was given a box. He just tossed it somewhere in his room, without looking twice at it. He suddenly felt bad. When he went home that day, he decided to open it. The first thing he saw was a class picture. The first class picture he'd ever taken. He saw a heart drawn around him. And someone's face was scribbled on and ripped to the point where he couldn't see who it was. He decided to go look for his copy of the picture. He found it and looked for the boy whose face he couldn't see. He recognized him. He looked like the boy who confessed to him. He noticed he was staring at him instead of the camera. He looked through the other pictures in the box. They were all the same. The boy's face was scribbled, and on his copies, he'd be staring at him, and there was always a heart around Chanyeol. Chanyeol felt something in his heart. He decided tomorrow he was going to talk to him. 

 

The next day, Baekhyun wasn't there. Chanyeol sighed, he really hasn't been coming at all. A few weeks later, when school was done, Baekhyun went inside of class. His teacher was the only one in there, she was getting ready to leave. She was surprised to see him when she looked up. "Byun Baekhyun! Where have you been!?" She asked him. "Sorry...I haven't been coming to class." He told her. "Oh, is there a reason? You want to talk about it?" She asked in concern. Baekhyun bit his Lip. "Well, it's fine if you're not comfortable. You're going to have catch up." She told him. "I know." He answered. "Have you considered cram school?" She asked him. Baekhyun slightly smiled. "Okay, I will go to cram school." He told her and she smiled back. "I can help you out after class too if you want." Baekhyun nodded. "Umm...is it alright if I change seats?" He asked her. "Oh? Well, that's fine." She answered. "I want to sit there." He said pointing at the seat in the corner in the front of the class. "Okay, I will tell the student who sits there to move for you." The teacher told him. "Thank you." Baekhyun thanked her before leaving.

 

The next day, Baekhyun sat in his new seat and a girl came to him looking angry. "Yah! This is my seat! Get lost!" She yelled. "Minjoon-ssi. I changed your seats. You will sit in the back between Lee Jihyun and Park Chanyeol." The teacher told her. At the name, the girl lit up. "I get to sit next to Chanyeol!? Thank you so much!" She told Baekhyun before rushing to her new seat. Baekhyun sighed. Someone else was walking in and Baekhyun looked up. His eyes widened and his face flushed when he saw who it was. Chanyeol walked in and eyed Baekhyun while continuing his walk to the back of the class. "Chanyeol! Guess who sits next to you now!" The girl from earlier was heard calling him. Baekhyun turned his head a little and saw the girl hugging Chanyeol's arm. He turned back and looked at the front with a angry pout. Unbeknownst to Baekhyun, Chanyeol was staring at him the whole time.

 

When it was lunchtime, Baekhyun wanted to hurry up and leave so he started getting his things. "Baekhyun." Baekhyun's heart stopped beating when he heard his name. He recognized the voice that called him. Chanyeol was on his way to Baekhyun's desk and froze at what happened next. "H-he ran away...!?" He incredulously wondered.

 

Baekhyun ran to the garden, the only place he trusted. He stayed there the whole lunch, and felt guilty about missing the rest of the day too. He went back in class when it ended. "Baekhyun?" The teacher called him, not looking happy. Baekhyun bowed. The teacher sighed. "I'm really sorry." Baekhyun apologized. "Please try to come to class." She told him and he nodded. 

 

Baekhyun spent the rest of his 2nd year like this, avoiding Chanyeol and staying after school to catch up. It was now the first day of his 3rd year and He had to go to the entrance ceremony. He decided to look around since there was a few minutes before it should start. He saw Chanyeol and three other people. He assumed it was his family. He went the other way. He luckily didn't see him at all the rest of the day.

 

Baekhyun continued his "tradition" this year too. The day he confessed came and he decided to skip school only this day to mourn. He went to the garden. He layed down next to the rose bush and closed his eyes. He started remembering what happened last year on this day.

Chanyeol was on his way to the garden. "Ah, there it is..." He thought to himself. He entered it, expecting Baekhyun to be there. "Baekhyun!" He called out as he walked in the garden. His eyes landed on a body laying on the ground. Chanyeol stopped and widened his eyes. He slowly walked over and sat next to him. Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun for a few seconds before deciding to lay down next to him. A smile formed on his face as he saw the sleeping boy's cute face. This was the first time Chanyeol has smiled in a long time. After a while, Baekhyun was stirring and Chanyeol was a bit worried. He stopped before a soft almost inaudible mumble came out of his mouth. "Chanyeol..." Chanyeol widened his eyes and felt his heart beat quicken. His voice was so soft, Chanyeol couldn't help his hand that wandered to the innocent boy's face. His face was warm. Chanyeol gently rubbed Baekhyun's cheek. "Baekhyun-ah... I'm such an idiot..." He slowly whispered before leaning in. "Chanyeol....CHANYEOL!?" Chanyeol widened his eyes at the loudness and saw a flustered boy staring at him. Chanyeol furrowed his brows, annoyed that his chance was wasted. Baekhyun's face was incredibly red and his eyes were moist. He had the most shocked expression. Chanyeol sighed, still annoyed. Baekhyun was shaking but be slowly got up before getting pinned down. Chanyeol was on top of him. Baekhyun was scared, Chanyeol was angry. I will kiss him today! Chanyeol thought as he leaned in. Too scared, Baekhyun pushed the giant off of him as hard as he could. "Ow!" Chanyeol expressed as he put his hand on the pained area. Baekhyun took this chance to escape. Chanyeol angrily followed him. Baekhyun hid in a closet near the changing rooms. "Baekhyun!" He heard Chanyeol yelling. He wasn't close to him yet, he could tell, but he was being loud. "Baekhyun!" Each time Baekhyun heard his name, he felt pain in his chest. "Baekkie~!" Baekhyun couldn't take it anymore, if he stays any longer, he'll get a heart attack. He got up and forcefully opened the closet. "You were there?" Chanyeol, who wasn't that far from him, asked. Baekhyun ran as fast as he could. Chanyeol followed him. Baekhyun ran to the gates and exited school. "Ah, ah, Baekhyun! We're not supposed to leave school!" Chanyeol yelled after Baekhyun left. Chanyeol sighed and went back inside. Baekhyun knew he was breaking rules and he knew he was going to get in trouble but he didn't care. He ran straight home. "What? What are you doing here?" His mother asked. "I felt a little light headed." He told her. He was still red and he was sweating so she believed him. "You're sick and you walked all the way? You should have called I would have picked you up." She told him. "Right, sorry." Baekhyun apologized. "Anyway, go and rest up, I'll make you some soup." She told him and he thanked her. That night, Baekhyun couldn't sleep. He tossed and turned at least a million times.

 

The next day, Baekhyun was walking to school. He didn't look very great since he didn't sleep. His hair was still a mess too because he didn't bother fixing it. He entered his class and sat down, head first on the desk. He suddenly felt someone touching him. He sat up and saw Chanyeol. He widened his eyes and his face reddened. Chanyeol laughed as he noticed Baekhyun's face. His hand was still on Baekhyun's head. Baekhyun's eyes were watering, so Chanyeol let go. "Chanyeol-ssi, please sit down." The teacher said and Chanyeol obeyed her. When it was soon to be lunch time, Baekhyun was hoping time would stop. The second the bell rung, Baekhyun zoomed out of the class.

 

The rest of the year passed similarly. Baekhyun has been more and more depressed lately and it showed. It's his last year of high school and he's pretty sure he doesn't know everything. His school life was wasted chasing a boy who'd never love him. He set his mind; he's going to stop liking Chanyeol in order to focus on his studies. When it was the anniversary of the day he confessed, he forced himself not to go to the garden. An idea suddenly popped in his head. The roses are in bloom! He laughed mischievously as he ran to the garden instead of class. He suddenly remembered the box as he layed in front of the roses. "I wonder..." He started thinking of things. "He definitely just threw it away or something...what a waste..." He thought. A few hours passed. He heard noises of someone approaching. "Ah, you really are predictable, Baekhyun." Chanyeol said as he walked over. Baekhyun's heart started beating at a faster right. "I don't know what you mean..." He forced himself to say calmly. "Huh?  I knew you'd come here. Today is a special day." He said smiling. Baekhyun noticed Chanyeol's been smiling and laughing a lot lately, he doesn't know why. "It is a special day; the roses are beautiful on this day." Baekhyun said nonchalantly. "Huh, have you really stopped?" Chanyeol wondered. "Stopped what?" Baekhyun wondered. "Liking me." Baekhyun widened his eyes. "You confessed to me today, two years ago." Chanyeol reminded him. Baekhyun unconsciously blushed. "You came here last year too." Chanyeol said. Baekhyun remembered. He woke up and Chanyeol was close to him, his hand was on his face. His blush deepened at the thought. Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. "I'm disappointed." Chanyeol admit. "W-what are you t-talking about...?" Baekhyun stuttered. Chanyeol smirked. He went closer to him. Baekhyun noticeably flinched. "Do you still like me?" Chanyeol wondered, reaching a hand to put on the shorter boy's shoulder. Baekhyun slightly moved, trying to avoid the hand but it landed on him anyway. Chanyeol can easily see the uneasiness of Baekhyun. He knew he still liked him but decided to play with him. "I-I..." Baekhyun started but knew he couldn't finish. "You confessed to me once, it shouldn't be hard to do it again." Chanyeol told him. "Why are you doing this to me...?" Baekhyun's eyes watered. Chanyeol retracted his hand. "This is my garden, leave!" Baekhyun yelled and ran deeper into it. Chanyeol sighed.

 

A few months later, Chanyeol was starting to get less happy too. He wanted to tell Baekhyun the truth. He could never get Baekhyun, he always ran away and he could never find him. He desperately searched for him every day. The last day of school, he couldn't take it. He's going to miss class. He went to Baekhyun's desk and smashed his fists on it. The boy looked up in surprise. "Chanyeol-ssi, please sit down." The teacher called and unexpectedly, Chanyeol did not do as told. He grabbed Baekhyun's wrist and pulled him out of his chair, and dragged him out of class. He dragged him all the way to the garden. He let go of the confused boy and sighed. He grabbed a box that was on the floor and opened It. Baekhyun widened his eyes. He started by pulling out two pictures. It was the same picture, one had scribbles and hearts on it, the other was fine. Baekhyun felt himself blush. "I understand." Chanyeol told him. "You've always liked me, right?" Baekhyun nervously nodded. Chanyeol set the box aside. "A few days after you confessed, I realized it. I'm sorry I rejected you. I thought you were lying. After realizing it was heartfelt, I fell for you." Chanyeol confessed. Baekhyun widened his eyes. "You must be the first person who genuinely loves me." Chanyeol said, looking at Baekhyun. Baekhyun was frozen, cheeks pink and wet from tears, eyes wide, mouth slightly open. Chanyeol softly chuckled. He walked over to Baekhyun and hugged him. After a few minutes, Baekhyun hugged him back. "I love you, Park Chanyeol." Baekhyun whispered. Chanyeol squeezed harder at that.


I think the first thing i should mention is the relevance with the word "Abandoned Roses", i'm sure it's not clear. He "abandons" the roses for Chanyeol. I wanted to change the title to Boys Over Flowers because of the pun. In the drama, by "flower" they mean the bullies but, i mean literally flowers. I kept it like this for some reason.

 

I originally wanted this story to be Baekhyun confessing to Chanyeol, who rejecs him. This would be in their last year of high school and then Chanyeol starts thinking Baekhyun really likes him so he eventually finds him again and tells him he likes him back. This would be in their adult life. But i couldn't make that seem like they're abandoning roses. I should've continued this to show that they never admired the roses again because they had something better but, i didn't know how to.

 

Anyway, i hope you enjoy reading this.