Prologue

Sunset

 

2016

 

He stared out of the water, crossing his arms as the cold wind blew. Around him, the port was bustling with people after another ferry docked into it. The ocean was quiet, reflecting the vast blue sky with the sun beginning its descend below the horizon. The waves were calm, and the night insects were starting their song. The breeze from the west was cold, signalling the approaching winter.

As he walked closer to the port, he pulled his jacket's hood, covering his face while taking in the sight only Busan could offer. He took in the the countless of faces he see, the wind, the sky, the ocean, the sun, and the warm feeling of being home. He sadly smiled because that would be the last time he'll ever set his foot in his hometown. Because once he leave again, he'll never come back.

But for that moment, he took a seat on a secluded bench just around the port, eyes looking directly at the flower shop few meters away from him, and waiting for a certain person to appear.

Jung Yunho.

He smiled at the sweet taste his name had left on his mouth. Closing his eyes, he repeated his name once again, slower this time.

Jung Yunho.

He shut his eyelids open, thinking that eight years and five eternities ago, they met one summer day as the sun setting in front of them. And fell in love.

He continued to wait in vain, securing his hood once more, although he knew, Yunho wouldn't be able to see him. Not for either the distance or the fact that the port was crowded with people. It was because once you became a celebrity, you'll eventually honed the skills of disguising. You'll learn to blend into your surroundings - and he learned well.

On his hand, his phone began to ring, and even without checking it, he knew it was his manager. He'd escaped from his dorm the night before to visit the place where it all began. He grimaced, already imagining the punishment that awaits him once he came back to Seoul.

But why, would you ask was the reason he left?

He'd left to come back to that small town to find out what really happened. And for the last time, he wanted to see Jung Yunho.

Part of him ached because there was once upon a time when their stories were the same. He bit his lips hard, because you see, it was him who ended everything. And the wounds from their separation still stung.

But to know his reasons, he would have to share his story. And he knew that to heal a wound, you need to stop touching it, but for the last time, he would. Because those wounds were the opening to the most beautiful and best part of him.

Their story has four parts: the beautiful beginning, the challenging middle, the painful and inevitable end, and the aftermath full of regrets and what if's. He felt a sudden twinge on his heart because although their love was real, it didn't go on forever.

And as the wind blew again, he closed his eyes, unleashing the memories, letting them break him again.

.

.

.