Prologue

Exodus

"Get her to Pod C of unit 47!"

"Unit 47 already left! They're adding an emergency pod into the spare duct of unit 58."

"No! Those spare ducts aren't reliable!

 

I'm moving. I can hear voices around me.

 

"My daughter is getting on a pod."

 

Mommy? Mommy whats going on?

 

The man carrying Seulgi runs down the stairs into the departure hall. Hopping over dead bodies and debris. He looks back to find the queen slowing down behind him. He runs back to grab her hand. "Come, your Majesty. We must go bef-" 

All the people in the hallway suddenly fall against the wall.

"Dammit! That was unit 57, your Majesty! If we don't hurry, unit 58 is going to leave you and Seulgi behind!" He says frantically, while helping the queen to her feet. 

"Take Seulgi and go. I refuse to leave my people behind," she heaves. Running her hand through her daughter's hair as she gives her one last hug.

"Your majest-"

The queen holds her hand up, hushing her loyal guard. She turns her attention back to Seulgi, petting her hair affectionately.

"Return to me one day, my princess. Stay safe."

She gestures for the man to run. He hesitates, but eventually he gives in and takes Seulgi. Leaving the queen to watch her only child taken away from her. 

 

 

 

Seulgi wakes up sitting in between two strangers. She could tell they were peasants, they smelled like oil and dirt. She wipes dust from her eyes and looks around, wondering why she was in a public place instead of her beautiful bedroom. She looks up at one of the men and tugs his sleeve.

"Scuse me, can you help me get home?" 

She waits for a response but instead recieves the man's tears. She wrinkles her nose in confusion. Finally, the peasant speaks. 

"I'm sorry, little girl. I'm afraid none of us have a home to return to." 

Memories of the day before flash through Seulgi's mind. She quickly gets up and regrets it immediately when she feels a great amount of pain caused by the shelf above her head. She sits back down and begins to scream and cry like the toddler she is. People slowly wake up and stare at her. Though none do anything to help, for that is an expected response from a little kid in this situation. This is reality. This is what they've always been living through, it just never mattered before. If it didn't harm you, you shouldn't care, right? But finally karma has caught up with them. This is reality.