First

Not So Magic Stone

Jessica walks down the walkway, with only dim light from the street lamp as a source of light. It’s not too dark since the sky is a bit clear and the moonlight is bright. She heard rumor that there was a female student that attacked by outsider few nights back. Even the authenticity of the rumor is not clear, but the guards and even her Head of Faculty give warning to all to not walk alone at night. But she only cares less. Oh no. She doesn’t care at all, it not like it will happen to her as well right. That is what she thought. There is a psychology term of optimism bias that causes a person to believe that they are less at risk to involving a negative experience compared to others. Without even realizing it, she engaged with that belief. Ironically, she’s a psychology student.

 

“Stupid meeting! Stupid program! Stupid bureau!” She groans, letting out her frustration.

 

Well, who wouldn’t feel tired after all day busy with classes, and suddenly been told there is a sudden meeting for committees at 10p.m. Jessica wouldn’t complain if the meeting starts at 8 p.m. But it is at 10, at night. Meetings are usually ends at that time, not just begin. Apparently, it because the Program Manager a.k.a the Psychology Student Association’s President, has replacement class at 8 p.m. Leave his subordinates with no choice but to have meeting at 10p.m., and they can’t to find other suitable time where everyone is available.

 

It was meeting for an important upcoming program for Department of Psychology. They discussed about the big programs where they will allow students of other department to involve in various psychology tests and experiments. There will be other activities as well such as exhibitions, short movie the most boring one talk on the history of psychology. At least for her it is boring, but there are many others who anticipating this talk and she doesn’t even know why. Jessica has to attend the meeting since she will be one of the persons who will be in charge in managing all activities. They called it Program Coordinator or P.C.

 

With the meeting was delayed for almost half an hour, it was just end, almost 1 a.m. She can’t just leave the room even though she might have sudden attack of narcolepsy (not that she actually suffers that disorder), but due to her tiredness and sleepiness it is possible for that to happen. Fortunately (but she think it was unfortunate), she able to stay awake till the end. She did not waste another second to sit in that room and immediately leave when the meeting ends.

 

With each step she makes to step forward, the more tired and exhausted she feels. Her backpack suddenly ten times heavier that before. “I’m supposed to lying on my beloved bed, with my huggable pillow. Why was I there again? Right, meeting.” She mumbles.

 

Jessica’s residential college is quite far from her department. Maybe if she walks fast, she might able to reach her bed in another twenty minutes. But with the speed of her walk right now (almost like zombies’ walk), it won’t be happen soon. After another ten minutes, she arrives at the intersection of walkways to Centre at her left, and to walkway that will leads to Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Architecture at her front. She lazily turns to her right which will leads her to the walkway to her residential college.

 

 Another five minutes’ walk, she suddenly tripped over a small stone that really impossible to make a person to fall. Blame her drowsiness.

 

“Urgh~” She groans. “Stupid stone, why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be at…?” she stops, thinking real hard. When she can’t think, “wherever but not here!” she says angrily. She suddenly heard chuckle.

 

“What is that?” she narrows her eyes and brings her face closer to the small innocent stone. “How dare you laugh at me!” She raises her voice with her finger points at the stone. Now the chuckle turns to a laugh. A very soothing laugh she must admit. If she doesn’t know better that stone is not living thing, she might fall in love to ‘it’ by just hears that ‘laugh’. But yes, she does not know better where the laugh come from.

 

“How can a stone lets out an addicting laugh like that?” she rubs her not so itchy head, confuses. She picks up the stone and examines every inch of the stone. “Are you a magic stone?” she asks the stone.

 

She heard the laugh again. “Yes, I might be one.” The ‘stone’ answers, with ‘its’ husky voice.

 

“You can speak? Oh no! I might have some kind of delusions now. Schizo?' Or maybe hallucination” She babbles.

 

“Hey miss. I’m here.” The ‘stone’ says.

 

Her face starts to pale now. Cold sweats start to flows as she has goosebumps. Her heartbeat increases, like she just had marathon. She just too cool to admit it, but yes deep inside she scared. The chilly wind makes it worse.

 

“I must be too tired now.” She stands up while still holding the stone. “You cannot be really talking, right?” Once again she brings the stone closer to her face. She suddenly feels a pat at the left shoulder.

 

“Hmm miss. I’m actually behind you.” The ‘stone’, or that’s she thought, says.

 

Jessica abruptly turns around and unfortunately tripped, again.  Her drowsiness now turns to dizziness as the back of her head hits the ground.