Chapter 1: Lost in the Past

Forever Lost With You
Lost in the Past 1

Jeonghan's POV

It was after the last year of senior high. I graduated high school with flying colors and got my diploma, earning lots of greetings and messages from relatives both near and far. It felt really rewarding to have finished such an important part of my life, yet the thought of college alone was nerve-wracking.

 

The truth is, my family (especially my dad) doesn't support the field I want to choose. I come from a family of accomplished businessmen and businesswomen not only in the country but from the whole world. In every big corporation, at least one member of the Yoon Family is behind it as a board member. I, unfortunately on the other hand, fell in love with human science and medicine. As the eldest child in the family, they expect me to be an example to my younger sister. She's also into business and that doesn't make it any easier.

 

I've always had high grades ever since and it's not because of my mother who monitors us very strictly, but rather my passion for biology. I already have it sorted out, actually. I maintained my marks in high school so I can get a scholarship in , one of the biggest medical schools in the country, Korea University College of Medicine, who only offer education to those who are truly deserving. I'm ready to tell them what I really want to do.

 

"Jeonghan-ah... you'll do a great job in the fashion or show business." My dad laughed as he gave his remark, continuing to savour the premium cut steak he always requested for dinner on special occasions.

"Abbeoji, about that..."

"Aniyo! Our Jeonghan will go with the car business just like his Omma." Mom replied, making me even more anxious.

"Actually-" I scratched the back of my head and was about to spill it but Dad cut through my words.

"Perhaps you want to be like your Aunt in the food industry?"

"Aish, Jeonghan doesn't cook yeobo."

"Oh, right." Appa smiled weakly, making it even harder for me to say it.

 

Omma and appa always showed their soft side towards us, being the best parents they want to be despite their flaws that I have completely discovered since long ago. I let the conversation pass on just a little more while I mustered enough courage to announce my decision, MY OWN decision.

 

"Omma, appa..." I took a deep breath. "I have made my decision."

"Jinjja? What have you decided, son?"

 

Here goes. There's no going back now.

 

"I am going to medical school."

"Mwo?!"

 


Æ

 

"This is all your fault, Shinae! If you weren't so loose with Jeonghan, he wouldn't think of this stupid thing!"

"What do you want me to do? Force him into our hell when he wanted something else?"

 

*SLAP*

 

"I am enduring all of these to provide for our family and keep our reputation. Do not start this argument again."

"Why? Why are you afraid? Because it's true, isn't it? While you force your children into the same living hell that we've gone through, you are sleeping with 3 different girls in one bed every night."

"Shut up."

 

*BANG*

 

I cringed in fear as I witnessed my mom cry for the nth time, my dad throwing all of the things his hands could reach. My parents are not perfect, and even though they think they are good parents, despite their efforts, they still lack in essential areas big time. As I grew up, they always decided the important details in my life. Sure, they provided everything we needed but back in elementary, I ended up wishing for my poor classmate's affectionate lunchbox than my 5-star lunchbox made only by chefs and servants. In an early age, I learned that money cannot buy happiness and I learned it the hard way.

 

Dad cheated on mom once back in my junior high days. Ever since he did it, he always have. They didn't tell us, but of course we knew. We only muffled our cries as they fought physically, to the point where that scar has been engraved on my head. Sometimes I'd dream of those old days and whenever it haunts me down, I break into pieces. I swore to God that I'd give my own children the freedom and the joy if ever I would get any because I don't want them to suffer as much as I did.

 

After all those fights, after all those little moments that changed me forever, after all those tight rules in the house, it would all come down to how we looked from the eyes of the public. We always had to act like a perfect household and it was suffocating. We displayed a heavenly image for everyone, while back home we had a living hell.

 

I don't blame my parents or anyone for the outcome of my life though. My mom and my dad probably didn't have a choice either. I don't regret being a member of the Yoon family even the slightest. Despite all the hardships, I still love my family. I wouldn't belong anywhere else. With that being said, I finally break the silence I've kept for more than 15 years.

 

I run to my mother who was now on the floor and wrapped my arms to her delicate self as she she held onto me tightly while I glared daggers towards my father. He always had his way without considering how she felt. For the first time in a long while, I felt a weird sense of satisfaction and pride from standing for something I truly care about, and that was more than a sign to pursue what I really wanted.

 

"You! You're a disgrace to the race! Do you know what the hell you're trying to think?!" Dad exploded, throwing more things to the poor wall who miraculously hasn't collapsed yet after more than 20 years of being abused.

"I'm thinking of finally standing up for myself!" I answered, gritting my teeth.

"Jeonghan-ah, it's not too late to take it back," Says my pleading mom who only has concern in her eyes at the moment.

"No omma, this is what I want. This is where I'll truly be happy."

"Happy? You think you'll be happy?" Dad wiped his bleeding hands which was useless, walking towards me and omma. "Leave this house at once! Take your son and go find your 'happiness'!"

"Yeobo.. Jeonghan can't leave this household." Omma knelt before appa helplessly. "I'll leave, just take Jeonghan under your wing regardless of whatever path he chooses."

"Aniyo." I said firmly, dragging omma by the arm as I forced her to stand up. "You will stay here with Dad. I know he can't harm you too much for the sake of his reputation. I'll leave. I'll find myself out there omma, just trust me." I hugged her tightly and planted a kiss on her forehead like a loving son would to his mother before turning to face Dad for the last time.

"I will work hard and chase my dreams appa so that one day, you'll be proud of me."

 

And those were my last words before I left the household.

 


Æ

 


You might be wondering where I went after leaving our house. I became a street beggar for about a week but to be honest, it was one of the highest I've ever felt in my life. Finally, I'm doing something I decided for myself - not something my dad decided for me. It was a strange yet rewarding feeling that nobody else could understand.

 

After roaming the streets for a week, I found a cheap bed space here in Seoul since I was still too broke to even rent my own room. It was small and 6 people shared on room but I would be lying if I said it wasn't a thrill for me. Sure, there were sleepless nights when I tried to figure out what I'd do to get even just one meal for the next day. As soon as I left the house, my credit card and bank accounts were frozen and all I had with me was around a hundred thousand won.

 

I walked cities every day trying to find a job that would hire someone like me, someone who hasn't went to college yet and has no experience in working at all but it was the slightest bit easy. Everyone had either high standards or no more room for extra people.

 

I finally came across this small cafe just a few blocks away from my bedspace. It was a cafe in the day and a small bar with live bands at night. They took me in and now I work as a bartender and I have regulars coming to see me every time. The owner says that he was right in accepting me since their customers increased a reasonable amount once I started working there. Some say it's the hair, some say it's the smile while some just come to find company which I gladly give them. I earned just enough money to support myself. At that time, it was the biggest achievement of my life. I could now live without my dad and it was the best feeling in the world.

 

I've been working in the cafe for a year and 6 months now and on my 7th month, the owner let me stay in the cafe at night together with the other employees at the second floor. I moved out of the small bed space and didn't have to pay for lease since most of us in the cafe were broke adults trying to support our own living and owner-nim was kind enough to see it.

 

What happened to medical school, you say? Hmmm... it didn't go according as I planned but I can't say that it ended horribly either. I continued applying for scholarships and saved all the extra money I earned in a new bank account so I'd have a little extra money for college. I'd get letters of rejections for a whole year but that didn't stop me from applying again and again. I couldn't give up on my dream, not when it was finally just an arm's length away.

 

Today was different. The mail man gave me a letter with a different stamp and a slightly different envelope which made me jump in excitement. All my co-workers peeked behind me and I could tell that they were excited for me too. I opened the envelope slightly and carefully, reading the words out loud.

 

 

Dear Yoon Jeonghan,

Congratulations! You passed the final stage which is the interview and we are proud to tell you that your application for scholarship under Mr. Kim Sun Mo has been accepted. All your fees including tuition, miscellanious, accommodation and food allowance will be fully covered. Please call the number below to schedule an appoinment and visit our office to get more details. We are happy to present you a full scholarship to Korea University College of Medicine.

 

 

I jumped in joy and all my colleagues gave me a group hug as they shared in my happiness for they are all witnesses of how hard I wanted this. All my dreams are finally coming true.

 

Æ

 

I felt nervous, excited, happy and around 100 more emotions as I entered the school for the first time. I went to the front desk with my luggage and got my ID, key to the dorm, map and schedule. It was one of the best moments of my life.

 

I went to my dorm and a warm shade of blue welcomed me, it was everything I wanted it to be. Minimalistic and simple yet functional the way it should be. There were two single beds and I was told that my roommate would arrive after the acquaintance party for all freshmen tomorrow. I cleaned the room up a little bit and set all of my things on my side of the room before going out for a tour around the campus on my own.

 

Taking my map in my hands, I explored the vast building. The atmosphere was bustling busy as everyone made their separate ways, a few people bowed slightly or greeted me in the process. The interior of the building is hotel-like elegant, something you wouldn't think of for a school. Their facilities are outstanding. All discussion rooms are audio-visual rooms, the clinical simulation center was everything I dreamed of and all the research facilities were just huge and complete.

 

I made my way back to the dorm and just let my body fall into the bed, my head still soaring high on cloud 9. I can't believe it. I'm finally here.

 


Æ

 

Loud music can be heard from the big speakers and everyone was dancing wildly on the dance floor, something I am not really fond of. If not dancing, they were drinking their hearts out. I went outside to get some fresh air and yes, it was the day of the acquaintance party. The people outside were doing just the same as what the people inside were doing, yet their numbers are half and there's no blasting music. There's also a big pool but at this time at night, it's right for it to be isolated. I made acquaintances with a few people but no one really caught my attention, YET.

 

A loud splash can be heard as some fell into the pool. He was asking for help but no one else heard his short cries or just pretended that they didn't. The guy either couldn't swim or was too high in alchohol to do so. I looked around but no one showed the slightest signs of concern, like all of them was influenced by too much alchohol too.

 

I thought about it twice before diving into the pool to save the man who was drowning by now, earning everyone's attention in the party. I swam towards the guy who was just almost as tall as I am and held him firmly by the waist, swimming out of the pool. He wasn't breathing anymore and he was really pale, looking like a vampire or a guy version of Snow White. As I took him out of the pool with me, all eyes were now on us and even the people inside rushed out just to see what's going on.

 

I laid him on the pavement and shook him many times but there was no avail. I slapped his face a couple of times and the sensation of his skin tingles on my fingers still as I realize just how fair his complexion really is up close. His hair was soaking wet in addition to it and you could see his well-built body and toned muscles through his white longsleeve which became see-through because of the water. Being enticed by the creature in front of me, I knew what I needed to do.

 

I performed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation immediately without hesitation, that was the last thing I could think of. I cupped his face with my hands as I positioned myself above him. Leaning in, I could hear a few people whispering and gossiping but it wasn't the time to think about any of those right now.

 

I placed my lips on his as I breathed air into the his lungs and pressed against his chest alternately, occasionally pinching his nose. Luckily I had my hair tied, or else it would get in the way. I continued the routine, finally making him choke in the process as he opened his doe-like eyes in what seemed forever. He gazed at me intently and I was lost in those deep orbs for a moment. They were beautiful.

 

That trance was broken by the people's noice and I slowly went back to reality, realizing that I was soaking wet as well and by now everyone already had their eyes on us. The inner doctor in me convinced myself that my pride was worth saving the man at this moment as I reminisced the indescribable feeling when he opened his eyes. It was a mixed feeling of relief anf exhaustion, but mostly a sense of accomplishment. His gaze still on me, he looked at me in confusion as his eyes shimmered under the moonlight.

 

"Where am I?"

 


 

Hello! First chapter and already 3 upvotes and 11 subbies? You guys are amazing! Omma and appa sebong are proud of you! How did you feel about this chapter? I wanted to give you all an insight of what Jeonghan's past was like in this story. Comment your thoughts below! Kamsahamnida! ♡