Chapter 1: Diamond

Rightful Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

Small but precious, is a perfect sentence to describe me.

Most people don’t instantly recognize me when I appear, but when they do,

I shine the brightest among all.

Who am I?

Yes, your guess is right.

 

I’m a diamond.

 

 

I saw milady—yes, the one who own me on her finger, to be exact on her wedding ring—opened an envelope.

It was a fancy envelope, contains a letter with engraved edgy-looking alphabets with silver emboss with the right amount. It doesn’t look tacky nor overly done. It’s perfect.

I could see its content clearly, as milady fingers touched the letter for a good few minutes.

These sentences were written on the letter.

 

“You’re invited to the opening of Seung-hyun Choi’s exhibition,

At Platform L – Contemporary Art Center, Seoul.

July, 30rd 2016.

6 p.m. onwards.

Dress-code: Formal.

Bring this invitation as your entrance pass to the exhibition.”

 

Milady smiled when she read the letter. She didn’t say anything though. She only smiled, put the letter back to the envelope, and walked to her working desk to put the envelope in her drawer. It was a drawer for her letters, her important documents, and her stationery. Well, even though I never see milady work real job—ever since I know milady a few months ago—milady constantly received invitations to gallery opening, afternoon tea banquet, new fashion line launching, or just an ordinary dinner banquet.

Milady received many invitations, but rarely attend them for unknown reason. Milady never voiced out her reason, and as a diamond, there is no way I could read milady’s mind, right?

Milady came back to the sofa and took her cup of Darjeeling tea on the coffee table with her hand—making my home, which is also known as milady’s wedding ring, made contact with the porcelain cup. Milady sipped her tea slowly and put it back to the table elegantly. Then she continued read her book—I couldn’t understand what that book was. It was written in foreign language, and I had no intention to understand the content, anyway.

Half an hour had passed since I made contact to the book—which means milady constantly touched the book and flipped the pages—when my master came unannounced. My master—milady’s husband, the man who gave milady me, came to milady’s spot on the sofa and sat on the sofa across milady.

“Taecyeon,” Milady greeted my master without leaving her eyes from the book. “Have you finished your work? It’s rare to see you come home this early.”

I could see my master nodded. “I passed a few works to Bumsoo and Hamada-san at the office.”

Milady smiled at my master words and finally put the book down on the table. “That’s good to hear. Then you’re free for the rest of the night? Shall we go out and grab dinner outside?”

At milady’s suggestion, my master’s face expression suddenly turned rigid—I could see my master’s expression change clearly, as milady put her hands on her lap. I also saw milady’s confused expression.

Well, for a normal newlywed couple, a suggestion to go out and grab dinner outside the house is a delight. But for them—which isn’t a normal one, as they were a political marriage couple—it could be weird and awkward.

“I’m not free tonight, Yoona,” my master finally said. I could see sweat appeared on my master’s forehead. My master began to tap his foot to the marble floor anxiously. “I have a meeting.”

“Who are you going to meet? Is it a work related meeting?”

I could sense the awkward atmosphere, great tension from my master, and slight curiosity from my milady. They aren’t a lovey-dovey couple, but as a daily companion for milady, I could see that milady really tried to make their marriage works.

It’s been 2 months of her effort, but their relationship wasn’t going anywhere.

Every night, they still sleep with their back facing each other’s, and never once I see them consummate their marriage by having . At some night, milady slept alone in their king size bed, after waiting for my master arrival until midnight.

I feel bad for milady, but what can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter