turn it back

Replay

 

It was March, the beginning of spring. The weather warmed up and the snow was melting. Bright yellow forsythias could be found along the streets and highways. Magnolias and cherry blossoms were starting to bloom too; creating beautiful shades of pink. Most people had continued their regular activities after enjoying the winter holiday. The streets in Seoul were getting crowded day by day. Lots of couples could be seen; some were enjoying the street foods while the others were shopping together. The park was also another favorite spot for couples. Cherry blossom trees were everywhere; creating a romantic atmosphere. There was a couple who was sitting on a bench under a cherry blossom tree. They intertwined their hands and they were happily chattering while a pack of fish cakes was rested on the empty spot next to the boy.

“Thanks for bringing me here. I’d rather spent our third anniversary here than spending my money on this year’s spring sale,” the girl said.

“I knew it. You like romantic places like this, right? I’m a genius,” the boy replied, grinned widely.

“Shut up, Kim Jongdae,” she rolled her eyes.

“Just admit that your boyfriend’s a genius, Im Jinah.”

“Over my dead body,” Jinah said, sticking out her tongue.

Jinah was beautiful. With her long legs and blonde hair, she looked like a living Barbie doll. Boys chased after her but she rejected all of them because of this guy named Kim Jongdae, the guy that she had dated for the last three years. Jongdae was gifted with gorgeous jawline and amazing vocals. He had the looks that made girls swooned over him.  Sometimes, he would sing for Jinah too. And his voice was the sweetest melody that Jinah had ever heard.

They were chasing each other. They didn’t care about the strange gazes that were given by the other people in the park. Running, laughing, flicking each other’s forehead. They spent their time enjoying themselves, as if there was nobody in that park expects themselves. Yes, they should treasure what they had now, because nothing lasts forever and all good things would always come to an end. What they didn’t know was that the end was near.

It was a beautiful night. The street lights were illuminating the streets of Seoul and the stars were shining bright. The city was very bright; showered by the city lights and the stars. Han River was crowded, as usual. There were people here and there; young ones, old ones, happy ones, sad ones. Jongdae and Jinah were there, too. His hand was wrapped around Jinah’s. They were staring at the sky, admiring the sea of stars above them.

“Hey, look! There’s a shooting star!” Jinah suddenly shouted. Some people threw weird glances at her and her cheeks immediately flushed pink. She realized that her voice was a bit too loud. She was flustered.

“Let’s make a wish, shall we?” Jongdae said.

“Sure,” she replied.

They closed their eyes.

After a few seconds, her eyes fluttered open, staring into the brown orbs of her boyfriend’s.

“What did you wish for?” she asked.

“I wish we could be together, forever,” he answered.

“Forever’s a very long time, Jongdae.”

“I know, Jinah. I know.”

His voice was cracking. She didn’t know why, though. She was going to ask when she felt his lips on hers. She snapped out of her thoughts. She felt like she was on cloud nine. She felt like the time has stopped and the world around her disappeared. This was the effect that Jongdae has on her. Every time he touched her, she felt like electricity runs through her veins. Soon, she replied the kiss and they ended the night by kissing in front of the beautiful Han River, enjoying the time that they had before it was gone.

Time passed quickly. Seconds turned into minutes, days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. Spring was almost over. The weather was relatively hot and humid; a sign that soon, summer would replace spring. It was the last day of May, the last day of spring. Jongdae and Jinah were doing grocery shopping at a grocery store near her apartment. They were on their way back to her apartment when Jongdae realized that he left his wallet on the grocery store.

“Go ahead. I could go home by myself. My place isn’t far from here,” she said.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Fine, then. Take care,” Jongdae said. He kissed her on the forehead before leaving.

He wasn’t far from the spot where they parted when he heard a loud crash. He looked back. Jinah wasn’t there anymore, but near that place, some people had crowded near the sidewalk and he felt tears were starting to form in his eyes when he saw red spilled everywhere. He ran as fast as he could. He saw the body that was lying on the concrete. He felt numb. It was Jinah. His Jinah. She was bleeding and she was barely breathing.

“J-Jongdae…” she whispered. He quickly crouched next to her.

“H-Hey,” he forced a smile. Tears were still falling down from his eyes.

“Don’t cry, you idiot,” she chuckled; more blood came from . “I’m sorry, I couldn’t grant your wish. We couldn’t be together forever. Forever is just…too long.”

“I love you, Jinah. I love you,” Jongdae said, his sobs became more uncontrollable.

“I love you, too.”

It was her last words. The ambulance came but it was too late. She was dead. Spring has turned into summer, and Jongdae realized that his Jinah has gone with the spring.

Kim Jongdae was a time traveler. He travelled to the past to replay the memories of him and his girlfriend, who died because of a car accident. He had replayed the same scene again and again; the precious three years that both of them had gone through. He replayed the same scene again and again; those days when they were still smiling, hugging, cuddling, kissing. He replayed the same scene again and again; those days when she was still alive. He replayed the same scene again and again and he was never bored of it.

Finally, it was March, the beginning of spring. The weather warmed up and the snow was melting. Bright yellow forsythias could be found along the streets and highways. Magnolias and cherry blossoms were starting to bloom too; creating beautiful shades of pink. There was a couple sitting on a bench under a cherry blossom tree. They intertwined their hands and they were smiling, as if nothing could separate them, even death.

 


 

A/N : Jongdae couldn’t save Jinah because if he change what’s supposed to happen, then it will also affect the lives of others, too. Todd Brun, a professor in USC stated, "Even if you travel back to the past with the intention of changing history, events will conspire to force you instead to conform to it (and history would already include the presence of time travelers)." In short, the universe is self-correcting. Got it?