Scouted

The Tetrad of Taza

The great city of Taza, though not as extravagant as Festa, was alive with gaiety and cheer even as the sun began to set. Communities and families were celebrating the graduation of the young adults of Taza from the rudimentary schools. They were taking their first step into official adulthood; very soon, they would begin formal training for their specialized and professional classes. Four friends, Jinyoung, Hyemi, Sookyung, and Seungwoo, were celebrating things on their own.

“I can’t believe we did it,” Seungwoo sighed in relief as the quartet made their way down the street. They were classmates and they knew each other’s struggles, especially with their last year in rudimentary school.

“True, but we’re just going to be thrown right back into school. Now it gets serious,” Jinyoung replied. The friends all nodded in agreement.

“Is anyone going to try and get into Zenith?” Hyemi posed, earning mixed reactions from her friends. Sookyung looked the most indifferent, Seungwoo’s face clouded over in hesitation, and Jinyoung avoided eye contact. Sookyung just shrugged.

“They can put me wherever, to be honest. I just want to make sure it’s worth it,” Sookyung spoke. Jinyoung scoffed, whacking her arm playfully.

“Sookyung, you were the most capable in combat in all of our practice and test fights. You were also the most well-rounded student. I think you’re a shoo-in for Zenith,” He pointed out. Her friends made various noises of approval, to which the girl just made a face.

“My mom says I should go to Zenith too, because I can get the most extensive training for an apothecary. And, I can gain connections to the Taza Royal Army,” Hyemi brought up. Jinyoung scoffed again, pointing out that her father was a former Royal Army soldier, so she already had connections. She glared at him.

“No, this way, they will see me for me, not as the daughter of an ex-Royal Army soldier.” Seungwoo randomly spoke up.

“I might just work at different shops, seeing as how my father can keep up his career as a merchant. I might even get into performing, because that was the best thing I liked at school.” Hyemi facepalmed herself because of his abrupt topic switch.

They continued walking down the street, trying to find a nice place to eat. It was miraculous for all of their schedules to be free. Seungwoo didn’t work today and Jinyoung finished training early, probably because they had just graduated a day ago. Sookyung realized Jinyoung didn’t talk about his future plans so she plainly asked him about it.

“Well… my father wants me to continue training under that elder assassin he knows, Jinsu. But he’s always out on missions now and only has time to survey my weapon throwing precision, which totally by the way. I’m just happy he let me focus on my studies until graduation. If I get into Zenith, I could get way more extensive training the right way. And then he’d be happy.”

His friends felt sorry for him because of how much his blacksmith father pressured him. Because he made weapons for good assassin clientele, Jinyoung’s father wanted him to become an expert at weapons. But truly, Jinyoung despised most weapons because he could never throw them right, or handle them like a pro. Hyemi hugged the boy and said that everything would work out. He hoped so; they all did.

Shops and kiosks occupying areas on the streets beckoned towards them, offering discounts to newly-graduated students. The aroma of various foods wafted into their nostrils but they were heading to a specific eatery that they were craving. They were nearing the destination for their food when all of a sudden, a figure halted them.

“Oh my! Fortune must be smiling upon me today!” The friends stared at the cloaked form. Hyemi was honestly frightened by the stranger because she couldn’t even see their face. Almost immediately, the figure took off the hood of their cloak, revealing the youthful face of a woman with pink hair. The friends stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to say to this woman.

“Sorry, my name is Aria. I am a recruiter from Zenith Academy. And let me tell you, I’m feeling scary vibes from you all! All that potential in each and every one of you, and I’ve been blessed to see you all gathered together! Your strength intrigues me so much, I’m going to give you these.” Aria produced four little cards from her cloak, handing to each person. They were speechless because they heard she was from Zenith Academy.

Is this real? Hyemi felt her pulse racing.

“Wait, we are all being scouted for Zenith Academy?” Seungwoo voiced Hyemi’s thoughts. Sookyung eyed the card suspiciously, while Jinyoung was admiring his with awe.

“She said she felt scary vibes from us…” Jinyoung said aloud in wonderment. Sookyung rolled her eyes at her friend’s denseness.

“She’s probably a sensory-type scouter. Zenith’s recruiters are all gifted sensory-type scouters for the purpose of identifying and pinpointing people with better-than-average abilities or potential.” Sookyung clearly did her research, making the others a bit flustered. Aria smiled brightly, clapping her hands.

“That’s right! You are all very special. I encourage you to attend the meeting tomorrow at the school which will initially decide what path you will pursue at Zenith.” The friends exchanged glances. Aria giggled.

“I know you all must be very suspicious, but all of your suspicions will be put to rest when you are judged by the Stone tomorrow. The Revenant Stone will sense your energy and take a drop of your blood. If all of your training has prepared you for your future class, then the Stone should judge you as you had hoped.” The friends now regarded the scout with mild confusion. Aria laughed as soon as she saw their expressions.

“It’s okay if you don’t quite understand this. It will make sense come tomorrow. Come to Zenith at 8 am and show your tickets, you will be admitted inside for commencement of the judging ceremony. The friends turned over the glossy ruby-red ticket that Aria had handed them. It bore the insignia of Zenith, two wings around a sword.

“I must get going. Good luck, you four. I have high hopes.”

 

Aria actually winked at them before disappearing down the street. Everyone stayed silent for a few seconds before Jinyoung urged them to talk about what just happened over food. They pocketed their tickets and obliged. They started eating in silence, until Hyemi started laughing. Everyone eyed her weirdly.

 

“What? Am I the only one freaked out by what just happened?” Everyone laughed at her comment.

 

“Is it that easy to get into Zenith or something?” Seungwoo questioned. Sookyung shook her head.

 

“No, she’s a professional. She wouldn’t waltz up to just anybody, even if she did seem a bit kooky. Zenith Academy only scouts people with the right potential. And apparently, we all have that.” They had to agree to that. Zenith Academy was the pride of their city, and they had to see exactly what would happen come tomorrow. Jinyoung brought up the Stone that Aria mentioned.

“So that will settle what path we will take in Zenith. That means I have to be judged as a healer from that Stone’s judgment. That way, I can focus primarily on becoming an herbalist,” Hyemi said, taking a bite of her food. Sookyung reiterated that whatever the Stone judged for her she would pursue as best as she could.

“I’m kinda afraid of what my dad will say. He was fine with me working like how I am now, but no one can directly deny their son from attending Zenith. Right?” His friends nodded, it was too grand of an opportunity to pass up.

 

Jinyoung once again was oddly quiet. His friends looked at him, but he continued eating. He seemed to be lost in thought. Everyone resumed eating until Hyemi asked if he was okay a few seconds later.

“Let’s just see what happens tomorrow, right? No one better be late,” Jinyoung quipped, bringing a smile to their faces once again.

“You’re one to talk, you’re the one who better not oversleep. Get enough rest!” Sookyung scolded. And so, they resumed their celebratory meal after graduating. They were going to embark on a new path come tomorrow.