Multi"class"

The Tetrad of Taza

Sookyung hurried to her Multiclass, well, class. She noticed that according to the map, the building where her class was held was located in the upper left area of campus, a considerable distance from the dormitory. So as long as she was in this class, she would be doing a lot of uphill hiking and walking. Sookyung paused once she caught sight of the building.

It was made of brick too, but it was starkly ordinary compared to the other main buildings. This one possessed no decorative roof, rather, the top of the building seemed to be flat. Wasting no more time, Sookyung entered the building and found her classroom.

Once Sookyung stepped foot into the class, it felt like she was being judged by everyone. Her classmates seemed to be looking her up and down, trying to size up and get a reading on her. But, unfortunately for them, she was used to this sort of reaction from others. She figured since this class would be based on competition against the others, everyone wanted to be wary of one another.

Just fine by me, I’m going to do what it takes to find out what I’m really suited for. She shrugged off their gazes and took her seat in the back of the class. All of a sudden, an intriguing clopping sound echoed throughout the room. 

Sookyung swiveled her head and saw a tall man with a instrument case on his back striding to the front of the class, the case thumping every time he walked. That was the source of the sound. This gentleman was quite noticeable because of his long bright, pale blonde hair, although it almost seemed to be a ghostly white hue. His face displayed some age, but his jawline was rather sharp to a point and his nose was thin, giving him an air of primness. As he whirled around, his cape flit in the air, and his loose-fitting tunic the color of light caramel contrasted with his tighter, pure white trousers. Everyone quieted down at the appearance of this man. 

“Good morning. You may call me Moonwood. I am the main instructor in charge of assisting the Multiclass find their specialization. This will be simple: we will go over a certain practice each week, with a class competition once in the week. The emphasis is on action, not studies.” He paused to gauge the reaction of his pupils. Everyone seemed to be tense.

“In this class, you will build up a sense of who you are- what you are suited to be. If we go over a certain type of weapon, such as a sword, and you do not feel comfortable or compatible with it, please speak up. I will record your preferences. Oh, speaking of which… I should introduce you to my companion.” Moonwood paused again, but this time, lowering a palm to his podium desk. He began to recite ancient words, and Sookyung realized he was performing a spell.

“I summon thee, Lunos!” Moonwood boomed at the end. In a poof of smoke, an avian, more specifically an owl, with a coat of sheer white feathers appeared. What was most notable was that this owl was wearing a monocle. The students made a noise of awe. Summoning spells were either reserved for those that were more skilled or specific families of summoners. The owl known as Lunos shook itself momentarily and started smoothing its feathers out.

“I’ve finally been summoned again… I mean, it is nice to meet you all.” Lunos greeted, quite frantic after its initial chagrin-filled comment.

“Please pardon my companion, as you are the first class he is greeting this semester,” Moonwood explained, earning laughter from his pupils. To this, Lunos piped up.

“Excuse me?! How dare you call me your ‘companion’ when you rarely summon me outside of class! Although I am a rather intelligent animal, accompanying you for mundane missions wouldn’t be so bad either! I want to have fun!” The bird squawked. Sookyung was quite taken aback by the seemingly astute owl’s rant. 

“Lunos, we will settle that later! Maintain your reputation during class times.” His master firmly scolded, which caused his companion to cease his tirade.

“Right… I apologize. My name is Lunos. I am Moonwood’s companion…” Lunos paused, adding emphasis on the last word before continuing.

“I am capable of storing a vast amount of knowledge into my brain, so it is my rightful duty to keep a profile of each and every one of you during your time in this class. I will observe and take note of any changes to you. As time goes by, I will build a profile of your strengths, weaknesses, and the path you are leaning towards. This way, you will arrive at the best suited path.” Now, the students were in awe of the owl’s fluent language and knowledge.

To get things started promptly, Moonwood announced that they would be focusing on hand-to-hand combat this week. Then, he walked over to a door opposite to the classroom entrance. Sookyung honestly didn’t even notice or question the door. Obviously, classrooms don’t normally have two entrances. The bard instructed his students to follow him as he opened the door and went in. Everyone filed in after him, equally curious about what lay ahead.

Gasps escaped the pupils’ lips as they took in their new surroundings. Through the classroom door was an entrance to a wide, huge separate room. It was a simple room but the sheer fact that it existed on the other side of their classroom was enough to shock the students. They clustered around their instructor, Lunos perched on his shoulder.

“This is the combat room, where we hold the weekly competitions. You will get used to this place due to the rough memories that will inevitably etch into you as the weeks go by. And since today is the first day, we shall hold a preliminary test of your initial skills. I have matched everyone up, so be ready when your name is called.” Moonwood’s voice echoed off of the walls in the combat room. Lunos also spoke up.

“Since this week is hand-to-hand combat, you will not be allowed to use any weapons. However, spells and abilities are permitted. I will allow those because although they are not technically considered physical moves, those would be used in real-life combat situations.” 

“But, Moonwood! That puts those who are more skilled with weaponry than magic at a disadvantage!” A student interjected. Sookyung reared her head to see who spoke up. She spotted two sheathed swords on his back. That’s why he feels that way. 

“Skilled fighters will find their own way to overcome their weaknesses. And if you are so perturbed about this disadvantage, remember, you will be at an advantage when the time to focus on weaponry comes.” Moonwood’s sharp reply silenced the student. The bard then officially started calling out names. 

“Oh Heejun.” Sookyung observed the boy who was ambling up to the front. He turned to face the rest of the students, possibly also looking for his chosen opponent. Heejun had average dark brown hair, but his not too fair skin tone made him look even more handsome, if that made sense. He also had full eyebrows and a vibrant look in his eyes. He didn’t seem nervous despite being the first name chosen. He was also pretty thin and tall. 

“Park Jeup,” the second name was called out. Now, the next male that stepped forward had fairer skin than Heejun. Whereas Heejun had bangs, Jeup’s hair was parted, exposing his forehead. He also had wider shoulders that were quite prominent, making him seem a bit more intimidating than Heejun. He also owned an intense gaze, which he used to scan the other students and then lock onto his opponent. 

Moonwood told the students to spread out and made Heejun and Jeup face each other farther down the room, where they had more free space. The room was wide so it was no problem. Once everything seemed to be ready, the match could start. Sookyung held her breath, wondering what will ensue.

“Begin!” Lunos hooted, now flying off of his master’s shoulder. At the same moment, Jeup and Heejun dashed towards each other. 

The two met in the center. Heejun initiated the first punch, to which Jeup blocked. The two then engaged in an exchange of throwing a punch and dodging or blocking the other’s attack. Jeup leapt back a little, prompting Heejun to rush forward, ready to jab. Just then, Jeup performed a flying kick. Caught off guard, Heejun changed his stance to a more defensive one but felt Jeup’s kick harshly collide with his arms. He tumbled backward, to which the students gasped.

“I think you’re unlucky, as I specialize in hand-to-hand combat,” Jeup told his foe, purposely announcing it so that everyone could hear. Heejun got up, readying himself. Soon, he was grinning.

“Well, let’s see.” Suddenly, the boy zipped forward, quicker than he was before. Jeup was also surprised at the burst of speed, as he hesitated while running. Jeup jabbed when Heejun was in front of him, but the boy dodged nimbly, landing a chop on Jeup’s abdominal area. He grunted, and Heejun continued the attack, spinning and delivering a solid kick this time. Jeup flew and crashed onto the ground with a thud. 

“Agh!” He cried out. Heejun stood a few feet away, the grin still on his face. Angered, Jeup rose and rushed towards him. Sookyung watched on in awe as Heejun displayed his agility. With a few more exchanges, it was clear who had the upper hand. Jeup appeared to be skilled but Heejun was exceptionally nimble. 

The final strike occurred when Jeup swung his arm sideward in a wide half-circle. Heejun ducked low and seemed to be sitting on the ground in a split second, then, in a blur, he attacked Jeup with a low spinning kick, sweeping Jeup off of his feet, literally. The fairer-skinned male slammed on the ground as Heejun bounded backward. Jeup lay motionless on the ground, presumably down for the count. Lunos, who was flitting around the competitors the whole time, roosted near the fallen body. 

“You are strong, I felt how hard you hit. But, I think I’m faster,” Heejun commented as if he were just talking about the weather or some other mundane topic.

“He’s out. Heejun is the victor,” the bird declared. Heejun was still sunny, regarding everyone with a wide grin. Soon, Jeup got up and dusted himself, groaning. Moonwood complimented the two and now it was time to move on. 

Heejun is really quick and skilled. And… kinda cute. Dammit, did I really just admit a guy was cute on the first day of class? Sookyung found herself staring at him and suddenly, he made eye contact with her, giving her the same warm smile. She immediately cast her eyes away, not needing infatuation issues. 

More students were called and everyone was talented. Expected since they were all chosen for Zenith, but Sookyung did not feel this threatened and wary of others for a while. Moonwood’s words were true that this would likely be a tough experience for every student. 

“Hwang Sookyung.” Despite hearing her name, she didn’t feel like it was real. She stood frozen in place for a few seconds as her peers looked around for the next competitor. She snapped out of it and padded to the front.

I can’t make too many mistakes or I’ll embarrass myself in front of everyone… Who am I kidding, I’m just going to wing it. The girl’s thoughts changed quickly as she knew doubting herself would just impede her. Now she needed to know her opponent…

“Lee Jooheon.” Her opponent strutted forward. Sookyung studied this man’s features as well; dark, raven hair with a hint of brown, very pale skin, rather small eyes… And he was clad in all black, as dark as his hair. 

wonho_1470091568_4.jpg

“This won’t take long, I promise.” Jooheon assured, already getting on Sookyung’s nerves. Since she couldn’t use her sword, she had to rely on her fists and feet to do the work. She felt that she was confident without her blade. 

Sookyung initiated the attack, striking first. Jooheon evaded her hits. As Sookyung followed up with more attacks, she noticed her opponent didn’t attempt to block her attacks, only dodge. Once in a while he struck, but she shrugged off those hits with ease. 

He doesn’t seem so strong, I think I can take him down. Her thought solidified in her head, Sookyung leapt up, hoping to bring him down when she landed. This time, Jooheon hopped out of the way. She landed and immediately sprung to meet him, but this time, she was astonished at his next move.

Jooheon caught and grabbed ahold of her fists. She tried to shake him off, but he was holding on tightly. Surprised at his sudden display of strength, Sookyung prepared to counterattack with a kick. But she felt a weird sensation overcoming her hands. 

She paused as she felt her body grow weaker, as if her very strength was diminishing. The girl looked at her caught fists and noticed a peculiar mauve light bathing both hers and Jooheon’s hands. Was he doing this to her? Sookyung looked at Jooheon and noticed he was smirking right back at her.

“Do you feel your strength leaving your body? Heh, well that’s my special skill. It’s called power siphoning. Right now, I’m sapping your magical energy. It doesn’t matter if this is a hand-to-hand combat competition, you need your magical energy nonetheless.” Sookyung groaned, having her magical energy from her did not feel good at all. 

He’s right, without magical energy, I’ll die! Sookyung feebly shook her fists, trying to loosen his hold, but Jooheon had a tight grip. He flashed her a menacing smile. 

“Sorry, I’m just going to end it like this. You’re unforunate to have me as your opponent, that’s all. No hard feelings?” Jooheon’s cocky and prideful tone just enraged Sookyung. 

I’m not giving up…  I won’t lose like this! With as much might as she could muster, Sookyung let out a loud, vicious cry, launching a kick right in Jooheon’s gut. With a choked cry, Jooheon was sent flying backward. His opponent fell onto one knee, free from his power siphoning technique. 

“Ow… I didn’t think you could actually have enough strength to hit me. You’re not half bad.” Jooheon huffed, dusting himself off. Sookyung scoffed and stood again.

Without my weapon… I can’t get close to him! He was right though, having to face him in these circumstances by only using hand-to-hand combat… Wait. It seems like I have two options, Sookyung assessed in her mind while Jooheon readied himself. 

“You’re gonna have to come to me if you want my energy that badly,” she taunted. 

“Fine!” Jooheon snorted, dashing her way. 

Jooheon threw several punches, but alternatively, Sookyung opted to go on the defensive. She made sure to dodge him so that he wouldn’t touch her. As he attacked, Sookyung went for the next available opening and took it. She landed a hit on his jaw, knocking him to the side. With a pained groan, he tottered away. 

Option one, I try to evade him as much as possible and strike only when he’s open and not able to grab ahold of me. As Jooheon tried to get himself ready, Sookyung created distance between them. She needed some time to analyze him more.

“Why are you getting farther away from me then?” He shouted, running and shortening that distance. He reached her and tried to grab her, but Sookyung could evade him. She continued to dodge him, paying attention to how he moved. When the timing was right, she veered to the side, kicking Jooheon in the side of his ribs. Sookyung leapt away again when he went down. Frustrated, Jooheon got back on his feet.

He starts running with his right foot first, and overall relies on his right hook to attack. He leaves his left side open more and is therefore more vulnerable there. He doesn’t get low to dodge or move, his natural instinct is to duck or move backward. Sookyung made sure to keep these thoughts in mind when she faces him.

“Running back again… Just because you’re a girl, it doesn’t mean you’ll get by without any of your own hits,” Jooheon spat. 

“Is that a threat?” Sookyung egged him on. With a frustrated yell, Jooheon ran towards her. They engaged in a fist fight again, except she was doing more of the dodging, like before. However, when Sookyung ducked, Jooheon seized ahold of her violet garment, near her shoulder area. She punched him square on the chest but he clutched the back of her neck. Soon, she felt that awful sensation of her energy leeching away… that horrible power siphoning was taking effect again.

However, this time, he also jabbed her side with a rather hard hit. Sookyung teetered sideways, clutching her side. Jooheon spared no time, meeting her again and held both of her shoulders. She was feeling weaker by the second. 

Damn… this technique is no joke… She felt almost powerless against him. Jooheon’s ridiculing grin in front of her face was truly insulting. The girl tried to even out her breathing, but that also seemed arduous.

“Now I got you…” Jooheon said with a triumphant tone. He was determined not to let go. However, to his surprise, he started to hear Sookyung chuckle. He demanded to know what was funny at a time like this, especially in her predicament.

“Actually, I got you.” Jooheon was confused by what she meant until, wham! Sookyung headbutted him with the remaining strength she had left. The sound of skulls bashing against each other resounded through the room. 

Option two: I attack him when he's got me with the power siphoning technique. He wouldn't have wanted to let go of me, so it's the only shot I had to hit him with everything I had.

“Agh!” Jooheon cried out in pain. Both of them fell backward, sprawling onto the ground. 

Jinyoung was right, I guess I really do have a hard head… Sookyung thought, although her head was throbbing excruciatingly. The pain was intense and her body was weak. But, after some time, she found herself sitting up from the floor. 

“Are you all right? Hoot!” Lunos chirped, flying above her. Sookyung forced herself to look up at the bird and grinned. She noticed Jooheon was still lying motionless in front of her. 

Wait… does that mean…? 

“Sookyung is the victor!”

She couldn’t believe her ears. She heard a lone cheering voice from the crowd. Curiously, she craned her neck to find the voice, although that made her head throb again. Sookyung squinted and realized it was none other than Heejun. He was hopping up and down like a pumped-up child. She got to her feet, but felt a sharp pain in her side, causing her to fall back down.

I guess that took a toll on me… my side hurts like hell. 

Suddenly, she felt arms gently grab and support her. She reared her head (not a good idea again) and noticed it was Heejun helping her. Although reluctant at first, she stood back up with his help. Then, they hobbled back to where the other students were. 

“Why... are you helping me?” She panted.

“I’m not really sure myself, but I can’t quit now,” was his response. 

“Someone them to the infirmary!” Moonwood instructed. Jooheon was regaining conscience and was being supported by two other students, one being Jeup of all people. The other pupils looked at Sookyung, but Heejun threw his arm over her shoulders.

“It’s okay, I’ll take care of her!” He assured. After escorting her to the side, he had her sit down.

“What are you doing?” Sookyung asked suspiciously, but was surprised when she felt a comforting feeling ease her aching back. She was being embraced by a light the color of sunshine. 

“You’re a healer?” She exclaimed. Heejun gave her another sunny smile in response.

“Don’t overdo yourself on your first day. That finishing move was quite surprising too,” Heejun commented instead. Sookyung chuckled, but her breath hitched when she felt the warmth of his palm greet the back of her head. She almost tried to shake him off, but realized he was healing that area too. 

“You weren’t so bad yourself, either,” Sookyung opted for another topic, laughing to herself. Heejun smiled in amusement.

“Let’s stick together in this class now, okay?”