start / end

As Time Goes By

 

A/N :

27/06/16  -  completed
06/06/16  -  fixed the format

 


 

 

o.
It’s the end of autumn. And this is how it starts.


i.
Kyungsoo opens his eyes. He looks around at his surroundings; he is in his own room. His head hurts a lot. This is the worst hangover that he has ever had. Something feels wrong, he feels that something isn’t here, but he still can’t remember what or who it is. He is going to get up from his bed when the pieces of memories start to flood his brain.

 

ii.
Kyungsoo remembers that he lives in an apartment in Seoul. His neighbors are Luhan, the Chinese guy with beautiful doe-eyes; Oh Sehun, Luhan’s lover; Kim Minseok, the friendliest guy he has ever met; Byun Baekhyun, the most childish guy you can find in Seoul (or maybe in the whole world); and Park Chanyeol, the resident troll. All of them are best friends. He can remember how they hang out every weekend, whether it’s going out at the mall or just watching re-runs of Luhan’s favorite soap drama in his room (which mostly turns into a food fight, usually popcorn, and they have to spend the next morning cleaning up the entire apartment).

 

iii.
He remembers going to a bookstore on Sunday, around 10 in the morning. The weather is getting colder and he can spot lots of fallen brown leaves on the pavements. He is sipping a cup of cappuccino when he bumps onto a stranger; a male, a very attractive one. He remembers the stranger’s tall body, tanned skin, gorgeous jawline and husky voice (he remembers that the stranger smells like citrus, too). Kyungsoo accidentally spills his cappuccino on the stranger’s white t-shirt and now it’s brown and soaking wet. The stranger is clearly angry, and Kyungsoo remembers that he doesn’t stop swearing even when he apologizes again and again.

(He does stop swearing, though, when both of their eyes meet and Kyungsoo remembers that the stranger’s eyes are brown and it reminds him of warm coffee and his home).


iv.
Kyungsoo remembers  that the stranger introduces himself as Kim Jongin, a newbie model. They become friends after that little accident in front of the bookstore. Weird, Kyungsoo thought, since he expected to be told off by this Jongin guy after he accidentally spilled his cappuccino on Jongin’s t-shirt. Maybe all those happily ever after romance stories that Baekhyun likes are true. Maybe love at first sight does exist.

(But somewhere deep in his heart Kyungsoo knows that perfect love stories only happen in books and movies and his life is certainly not a fairytale; a ed up one, maybe.)

 

v.
Kyungsoo remembers that two months after that unexpected accident in front of the bookstore, he and Jongin become a couple. Jongin moves to his apartment complex, and quickly become friends with Kyungsoo’s neighbors.

(Minseok is also in a relationship with a guy named Jongdae who works as an electrician and Chanyeol keeps complaining about his non-existing love life until Baekhyun kisses him to shut him up.)

 

vi.
He remembers that Jongin takes him to a park on a Sunday. There are people everywhere; young ones, old ones, happy ones, sad ones. There are lots of stars that night. It brightens up the dark sky, and it somehow reminds Kyungsoo of those precious gemstones; amethyst, emerald, sapphire, topaz (the sky is full of stars and it never fails to amaze him). That night, Kyungsoo remembers clearly that Jongin steals his first kiss. The kiss is sweet and slow and full of feelings, and Kyungsoo swears he can hear his own heart pounding against his ribcage and maybe it skipped a beat or two.


vii.
Kyungsoo remembers that he hears noises from Jongin’s room next door on a Sunday night. He tries to open the door, and fortunately it is unlocked. Kyungsoo remembers the pain in his chest when he sees a drunk Jongin with another man, a Chinese model named Zhang Yixing (Kyungsoo ever read an article about him in one of Baekhyun’s fashion magazines), kissing and like there’s no tomorrow. They seem too drunk to realize Kyungsoo’s presence in that room. Kyungsoo is going to go back to his apartment room when Jongin notices him. It is too late, though. Kyungsoo leaves; leaving a sobbing Jongin and a dumbfounded Yixing.

(No one knows that he cries all night in the bathroom and he feels that his whole world falls apart and maybe this is how his mother felt when his father cheats on her and maybe happily ever after doesn’t exist and maybe Baekhyun is indeed very dumb to believe in all that crap.)


viii.
Kyungsoo remembers that he and Jongin breaks up after that incident. Jongin tries to explain what happened, but Kyungsoo refuse to hear anything from him. Kyungsoo remembers that he cries again on a Sunday night; thinking about everything that happened the day before, thinking about all the ‘I love you’s that Jongin said to him. Bull, Kyungsoo thought.

(After all, happily ever after only exists in fairytales.)


ix.
He remembers going to the supermarket to buy snacks on a Thursday night. He remembers that he accidentally drops a plastic bag full of snacks in the middle of the street. He is going to pick it up when he hears a huge horn sound from his left. His eyes are blinded by the vehicle’s bright headlight. He can’t see what vehicle is it, but he is sure it is a big one. He freezes like a deer caught in the headlights.

He remembers that someone pushes him to the sidewalk. And then there is a loud crash. Red spilled over the grey street. Lots of people are helping the guy who saved Kyungsoo. But, it is too late. And then his vision blurred and he’s surrounded by darkness.


x.
Kyungsoo remembers coming to a funeral three days after the accident happened. He remembers who saves him. He remembers the tall, tanned guy with gorgeous jawline and a smirk plastered on his face. He remembers the name that is written on the snow-covered gravestone; Kim Jongin.


xi.
It’s the beginning of winter. And this is how it ends.