The Exhibition

The Art Exhibition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The time had come for Choi Seunghyun to open up his art work for public viewing.  Dressed in a black and white Gucci tuxedo, he stood by the entrance of the gallery with his hands in his pockets, greeting his guests with a friendly smile.  He had invited exactly one hundred guests tonight for a private showing of his paintings before opening up his exhibition to the general public. 

 

The caterers walked around serving hors-d'oeuvres and glasses of Dom Pérignon to everyone as they admired his collection of work.  Inspired by Jackson Pollock and Mark Tobey, Seunghyun conveyed every single thought and emotion into pieces of abstract expressionism.  While some may view his work as random splatters of colors on a canvas, those who truly appreciated art understood the emotional theme and expression behind his work.  Every single color to the directions of the color held a significant meaning to him; his work was not created out of random.

 

“Congratulations on the opening, Seunghyun.”  Kwon Jiyoung, a famous producer and long-time friend, greeted him with a firm handshake.  His wife, Yoona, stood behind him with an annoyed look on her face, but managed to greet Seunghyun with a hug.

 

“Why the long face Yoona?” Seunghyun asked while letting out a small chuckle.  After watching their relationship for many years, he already knew that it was Jiyoung who must have done something to irritate her.

 

She rolled her eyes and sarcastically replied, “My lovely husband handed me champagne.”

 

“I said that I was sorry babe,” Jiyoung sighed while shaking his head.

 

“Hold on,” Seunghyun stated with his eyes wide open.  “Are you pregnant, Yoona?”

 

“Six weeks and counting,” she beamed with happiness in her voice.  Jiyoung attempted to rub her belly, but she quickly smacked his hands away.  “How can I trust you to take care of me if you can’t even remember the basic what-not-to-do’s for a pregnant woman?” she snapped at her husband, pointing a finger at his face.

 

Seunghyun placed his right hand on Jiyoung’s shoulder, interrupting their argument before it even started.  “First of all, congratulations on the baby – you two will be great parents.  And second of all, can you please not argue tonight for the sake of my showing?”

 

“Sorry dude.  We’ll keep it civil tonight,” Jiyoung replied to him.  He draped his arm around Yoona’s shoulders and pulled her away to check out the paintings. 

 

Seunghyun amusingly watched them turn into a lovey-dovey couple two seconds later.  Their relationship puzzled him at times to say the least, but he appreciated the realness of their love.  The two had overcome major obstacles over the years in order to be together.

 

“What’s the count for tonight?” he asked, grabbing the attention of his assistant, Bobby.

 

“Out of the hundred guests you invited, ninety-nine showed up tonight.  Shall I inform you when your last guest shows up?” Bobby politely asked. 

 

He took a deep breath and exhaled loudly.  “No, don’t worry about it.  I don’t think she’s showing up tonight,” he replied with full disappointment in his voice.  Bobby acknowledged him with a small nod before walking away to take care of other administrative work that needed to be done.

 

Seunghyun knew that the chances of Tiffany Hwang showing up to his exhibition was a long shot, but he made the effort to send her an official invitation anyways.  His entire exhibition, after all, was inspire

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter