And so it begins...

Romantic & Idol S3

You felt yourself tense up as your group stepped into a rather small room where you were to be interviewed. You counted a total of five cameras as well as one specifically for filming close-ups.

 

You took a seat in the middle of the row of five chairs facing a lone chair next to the middle camera, the members settling down next to you.

 

Alright, you all know what to do?” the female PD asked you. “Yes!” “OK, roll camera!” The interviewer next to the camera began speaking. “Please greet the viewers.”

 

Born to beat! Hello, we're TRAX!” You smiled and waved to the camera.

 

Yes, hello. So let's get right to it. Have you seen the show before?” Chaeyoung glanced at you before answering. “Yes, we watched both seasons together in our dorm. We enjoyed it a lot!” She said, smiling brightly. “Yes, I think the concept is great! We're very grateful to be included in the third season. Thank you.” Eunmi spoke up.

 

It's been four years since you debuted, and you've been very successful. Have you honestly never dated?” The interviewer scrutinized each of your members for any sign of dishonesty.

 

This time, it was Yejin who replied. “Honestly, we haven't dated since we were trainees. A few of us dated briefly during that time, but decided to focus on our training.” You nodded at her words. “Really...?”

 

We spend our time writing lyrics, composing, practicing and promoting.” You said stiffly. “Then where do you get inspiration from? You're known for having very relatable lyrics and touching melody...” The interviewer fixed her sharp gaze on you.

 

You felt your face heat up from being put on the spot. Flustered, you hesitated for a moment but Chaeyoung was quick to the rescue. “Watching dramas, reading books and just listening to people's stories, pretty much.” You could see the other members glancing at you in your peripheral view, subtle concerned expressions on their faces. You usually let them do the talking in situations like this.

 

Then are any of your songs based on actual events?” The interviewer asked, intrigued. “Some are, yes.” Chaeyoung continued. “Ooh, secretive are we?” The woman giggled. “OK, I'll let that slide.”

 

You glanced quickly at your manager while she spoke. He was observing you with his arms crossed over his chest, a stern look on his face. You felt your stomach sink. You hated disappointing your manager.

 

Now let's get started. The first thing you need to do is choose a setting for your first meeting.”

 

They handed you a big sign with six pictures on it. You all studied them carefully. The first one was an empty bridge lit by a single street lamp, the second was an empty park bench in autumn, yellow and red leaves covering the ground around it. The third contained a stunning view of Han river at night, a few tents in the foreground. The fourth showed a cozy-looking cafe, the fifth a restaurant at a rooftop with small decorative lights lighting up the dark night and the sixth was a shot of a random street filled with people.

 

Please point at the one you would like. 1, 2, 3!” Conveniently enough, you all chose differently. You had picked the second photo the moment you laid eyes on it, it just felt like right.

 

Woah!” Jimin let out a shocked gasp. “Well, that was easy.” Eunmi smirked, enormously satisfied that she got her first choice.

 

Good, we'll go ahead with the individual interviews then. Shall we begin with the leader, perhaps?” You nodded and the other girls left the room. An assistant came in and removed the extra chairs and a make-up artist came up to you for a touch-up. You breathed slowly in and out in an attempt to relax your stiff shoulders.

 

OK, let's begin then. Are you ready?” “Yes.” You glanced nervously at your manager. He smiled and gave you a thumbs up to reassure you. You were doing fine.

 

We'll start with something easy, describe your ideal type please.”

 

Having been asked this question numerous times before, you already had an answer prepared. Not that it wasn't true, you had spent quite some time pondering this question and in your opinion, it all came down to one thing.

 

Someone honest. If we have trust and we can rely on each other then we'll have a good relationship, I think.”

 

Ooh, yes, I understand. But what about appearance?” You could tell they were trying to get some juicy details out of you to create drama. You inwardly rolled your eyes at their antics and how very discreet they were.

 

The only thing I can think of is very cliche, but I'd like it if he was taller than me. Though I'm only 5'4 so I don't think that's a problem.” You smiled stiffly. The interviewer seemed disappointed. “Are you sure? Nothing? What about abs? Or wide shoulders?”

 

You blushed in spite of yourself. The truth was that you had someone specific in mind. Someone who was tall, who had wide shoulders, a perfect set of abs, slim hips and a pair of eyes you swear you could drown in. But you pulled yourself together and said, “Of course there are physical traits I find attractive, but I'd rather date an unattractive honest man than a dishonest man with abs.” You said, staring daggers at the interviewer.