The Promise

We meet again

 

Kevin

After I confessed to Lhian, she left the resort without letting me know. I wasn’t sure if what I did was right anymore. I left Japan and went back to Seoul but the moment I came back, I hadn’t heard anything from her.

Is she mad or she just doesn’t want to see me anymore? Eottokhe?

I hesitate to visit her in Smiles and Blossoms since she might need some time to think. But not seeing her in a day gives me a hard time. I’m totally torn between this frustration and sadness I feel.

I was contemplating about what I should do when an unexpected call came in.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Hey, Kevin. It’s me Cindy.”

Hearing her voice, my hopes rose – I could ask her about Lhian.

“Hey Cindy! I didn’t expect your call.”

“Well, I heard you already confessed to Lhian. And I think, it didn’t go well since she came back alone.”

I bit my lip because of displeasure when she said that. It just made me realized that I didn’t do the right thing.

“Yes. Is she mad? Did she say anything about it?” I still wanted to know what Lhian thought after hearing those words from me.

“She didn’t say anything about it – she just doesn’t want to talk about it. But that’s actually the reason why I called, like what I’ve told you last time, I want to help you.”

“Thank you so much Cindy. I just really don’t know what to do now.”

“Well, go to the coffee shop near Smiles and Blossoms today. There, you’ll meet the people who will help you – they’re important people to Lhian’s lives.”

Suddenly, my heart throbbed like crazy with what Cindy said. Am I going to meet Lhian’s mom or dad?

“Who are they?” I curiously asked.

“You’ll know once you get there. So get ready now, because they might be waiting for you already.”

After she hung up, I hurried my way to the coffee shop. My heart was still beating so fast because this mixed emotion – I felt excited and nervous at the same time.

But whoever they are, I’ll make sure to prove my love for Lhian.

>>> 

I arrived at the coffee shop just right on time, but I forgot something – I forgot to ask Cindy what they look like. Suddenly, a staff of the coffee shop came up to me and guided me to the dining area. She said the people I was looking for were waiting for me there.

When I got there, a lady and a man greeted me. They must be couple because they were holding hands. Then, the lady walked towards me and greeted me with this huge smile on her face.

“You must be Kevin! Nice to meet you.” She said as she reached for my hand.

I also extended my hand to hers and greeted back. The lady went back to her seat while I sat on the other side of the table – in front of them.

“Annyeonghaseyo Kevin!” the man spoke to greet me too. Honestly, I didn’t expect it when he greeted me in Korean.

“Annyeonghaseyo!” as I slightly bowed.

“Cindy must forget to tell you who we are because you look all surprised.” The lady said.

I felt comfortable with her but with the man beside him – his look made me feel terrified.

“By the way, I’m Allie and this is my husband, Xander. He’s Lhian’s stepbrother.”

Stepbrother? I didn’t know Lhian has a stepbrother.

We ordered first before we started the conversation. Allie was the one who kept on talking and she’s really friendly to me.

“You know what Kevin, we heard a lot about you from Lhian. I could still remember how she talked about you when you guys were still in high school – how she admired you, your voice and your personality. Well, she’s right, you really look lovable.” She said.

Somewhat, hearing those words made smile – my ears loved it. I reminisced our high school days and how Lhian secretly put those notes in my locker. Too bad, I didn’t realize my love for her in the beginning – things wouldn’t be this hard if that happened.

“Anyway, the reason why we’d like to talk to you is because of Lhian. Cindy told us that you actually have these “special” feelings for her. She used to admire you during your high school days and now after ten years, you’re saying that you like her. Isn’t that suspicious?” he said as he gazed at me.

“Ahhm..It’s not that Hyung. I really love her and I’m serious of what I feel. I have waited for ten years just to get this chance -- the chance to let her know about my love for her.”

“Aww… that’s so sweet!” Allie cooed with sheer glee because of what I said.

“It’s not sweet! Hey Kevin, do you really love Lhian? How much do you love her, then? Tell me.” Xander hyung flooded me with these questions like I committed a crime.

“Honey, stop it! You’re scaring him.” as Allie nudged her husband.

“Am I? I’m just asking him.”

“Yes, you are…” and she faced me again, “I’m sorry Kevin, Xander is just trying to be an overprotective brother but he’s actually nice and sweet.”

“Alright, let me get this straight Kevin. Lhian hasn’t moved on from AJ yet. But if you really love her, you should do everything to make her smile. Do everything that you can.” He said.

“We won’t stay here for long Kevin, but we want to make sure that we’ll be able to get her smile back – we want to make sure that she’ll be alright. And since you already confessed your love for her, you shouldn’t stop from that.”

Slowly, I was getting what they were trying to say. They wanted me to continue what I had started.

“But noona, do you think I have a chance?” That’s what I really want to know.

Before she could speak, Xander hyung answered the question. “You’ll get a chance, if you deserve it.”

He obviously doesn’t like me – or perhaps, he does.

“Kevin, Lhian is in a situation right now where she needs enough time to think, but this is also the time which she needs someone who will always be there on her side and will listen to her. Can you promise us that you will do everything to make her smile?”

Her question resounded on my head. But I didn’t think twice and I just answered it with conviction.

“Yes noona! I promise you and Xander hyung that I will make Lhian smile every single day and I will take good care of her.”

“Aigoo! Did you hear that sweetie? He made a promise already. That’s what you want to hear, right?”

Xander hyung looked pleased with the promise I made. It seemed like I got his approval.

“Well, if you already made a promise, I think this ends our conversation.” And he finally smiled at me.

I talked to them for few more minutes and they told me a lot of things about Lhian. I could say that they love Lhian so much because they even travelled their way back here in Seoul just to check on her. There might be a little pressure on making that promise, but if that’s the only way that I could do to prove myself to them and to Lhian – I’m happy to do it. 

------------------------------------

Author's note!

There we go! Kevin must be really having a hard time... good thing AllieXander is there to help him. Heehee!

Anyway, Kevin's love needs to be proven... you're interested, aye? ^^~

Saranghaeyo~! ^^~ Kamsahamnida! ^^~