Stick around

We meet again

 

Kevin

After Cindy told me of Lhian's plan of going to Japan and talked about my feelings for her, she asked me to follow her. Well, it wasn't a favor at all since I really wanted to follow and make sure that she's doing fine.

*FLASHBACK*

"I know Lhian -- when she's new to a certain place, she is like a 5-year-old child who got lost in a big city. She's scared of approaching people she's not familiar of. Even way back in high school, she's socially awkward. She has changed when she met AJ -- but after what happened to them, she seems like she went back to her old self." she said worriedly. "I really wanted to follow her, but she wouldn't like it. She wants to get over these things and move on all alone by herself."

Cindy must be really worried about her.

"So Kevin, once you go to Japan, make sure that she wouldn't find out about what we have talked about."

"I'm going to stalk her?"

"Not really. But if you can do that, why not? Just make sure that she wouldn't know about the reason why you're following her... or not unless, you really want to let her know..."

*END OF FLASHBACK*

I don't know if this is the right timing to think about my feelings for her. I know, she's in pain but I don't want this chance to slip away again. In this kind of situation, she needs somebody to be with her and I want to be that somebody.

I arrived at the airport earlier than I expected – but this is much better so I could wait for her. It was around 8 in the morning when I finally reached the airport. I went to a coffee shop owns by a friend of mine and there I talked to a guy crew to wait for her outside the airport.

After an hour of waiting for Lhian, the young man signaled to me as I looked at him from the cafeteria. I think he has already found her. With that, I left the cafeteria and just let him guide her inside. I wanted to make sure that Lhian wouldn’t see me.

Everything seemed to be running smoothly according to plan. The lady crew walked towards to her and asked her in Japanese. I know her Japanese isn’t that good so I intently asked the crew to speak with her on that language.

“Ohayou gozaimasu.! Go chuumonwa?”

“Ahhm…”

“Nihai no kohi wo kudasai.” I said as I cut them off. I could see how surprised she was when she saw me. I sat in front of her and just smiled confidently.

“What are you doing here?”

“Well, I was actually walking outside when I saw you. I didn’t expect it to see you here so I came inside to greet you.” I smiled. I hope my acting skill isn’t that bad. “Well, how about you? What are you doing here Lhian?”

“I’m here for a vacation. What a small world. We always meet when we least expect it, have you noticed that?” she chuckled.

She looked much better than I thought she would be – or perhaps, she was just hiding it… her pain.

“Yeah, a very small world. Anyway, did you come here alone?”

“Yes. But wait a minute. The guy who guided me on this place gave me this note, weren’t you the one who wrote this?” she asked.

Omo! She shouldn’t find out that it was really me who wrote it.

I cleared my throat before I spoke. “Well, like what I’ve told you, I just saw you outside the café so I decided to come inside and greet you. Are you sure that you came here alone?” I asked.

Good thing I still remember how to apply reverse psychology. She really looked puzzled with what I said.

“I’m pretty sure that I came here all by myself. But anyway, forget about it.” She just snapped as she kept the note again.

“Will you be alright travelling alone?”

“Well, it’s my first time but I think I will be.”

“I see. Well, I hope you enjoy your stay here. I’m pretty sure you’re going to love the country, especially Okinawa – there are a lot of beautiful places here.”

“It seems like you’ve been here before…”

“Yes. But anyway, if you want somebody to tour around, I know some friends here who can do that.”

“Alright…” she said.

“Oh, I have to leave now Lhian. I just have some meeting to catch up. See you around. By the way, do you already have a place to stay in?”

“Well, no… I mean, yes.” As she rolled her eyes. 

“Alright…” I know she’s lying but I have to continue with my plan. “Anyway, I have to go now, bye…” as I stood up.

*FLASHBACK*

“Like a little child, once Lhian finds a familiar friend in an unfamiliar place, she will stick to that person. She feels secured once she sees a familiar face – so make sure to stick around.”

Cindy said as she helped me with our plan.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

“Wait Kevin…”

Cindy must be right.

“Yes?” as I looked back at her.

“Actually, I lied. I don’t have any place to stay. And my Japanese is not that good, I might get lost again. As much as I want to enjoy this vacation, I’m not that prepared.” She slightly bowed with embarrassment.

“Alright. Well don’t worry Lhian. I have a friend who owns a hotel here in Okinawa and you can definitely stay there while enjoying the beautiful view.”

“But, how about you?”

“Me?”

“I mean, where are you going to stay?”

She feels secured once she sees a familiar face – so make sure to stick around.

Well, I’ll be staying in the same hotel… wait a minute, are you sure you’ll be fine travelling alone?”

This time, she didn’t reply but I could see the anxiety in her eyes.

“If you like, I can join you if it’s okay with you?” I suggested.

“Well, is it okay with you?”

“Of course!”  I said ecstatically.

“Then, araseo!” and she finally smiled.

My first plan is successful! But she shouldn’t find out that I already know something. I’ll let her to open up her heart to me so it wouldn’t be awkward.

After hearing those and seeing her smile again, I felt relieved inside. I thought it would be hard for me to get her trust but I was wrong. I got too excited to bring her to my friend’s hotel and tour around so I didn’t notice that I held her hand on our way out of the cafeteria. Wrong move Kevin! As my mind protested. Good thing, she must be so tired and she didn’t even notice it.

I brought her to my car and there I just let her sleep for a while. I feel extremely happy with all of these things; it might sound selfish but just to be with her – my heart feels very satisfied.