Lap 3

Racing to the Checkered Flag
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

15 October 2013

“Joohuyn, what the are you doing? You’re missing your shift points and losing speed. Your lap times look like ! ” Top shouted into his mouthpiece, all the while glaring at the monitors in front of him.

“Top, why are you being so hard on her? Ease up man, geez. Look at the condition of the track. My times were down this week too. And we are still topping the leader boards so far” Jiyong said offhandedly not liking Top’s tone of voice at all. Top snapped his head in Jiyong’s direction, moving towards him until they were practically nose to nose. “Don’t ing interfere! Just because you get to her doesn’t get you free reign in here. This is where I call the shots so if you cannot handle it, I suggest you get the out of my pit” The shock on Jiyong’s face was quite evident after the statement from Top. Jiyong’s eyes instinctively darkened, his hands curling into fists until he realised they weren’t alone. Everyone else there was staring at them and to make things much worse, he hadn’t switched him mic off.

Their heads whipped to the side when they heard a car come into the pit area. Top walked back to the monitors and furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding why Joohuyn came in. The car was at 93% power and no warnings were going off. Jiyong sensed the impending storm, so he quickly walked out to meet Joohuyn     at the car and take her away. Alas, she wasn’t having any of it. She was spitting fire like a sparkplug.

Joohuyn stomped into the pit area, holding her helmet like a weapon. If Jiyong did not anticipate the movement, Top would most likely have been knocked out. She swung her helmet at Top’s head but Jiyong grabbed it, which caused her to stumble into Top. Then the scuffle ensued.

“You ing bastard! Who the do you think you are huh? Who are you to talk about me you spineless bastard!” Joohuyn shouted as she kept trying to punch Top. Top on the other hand, kept trying to get a hold of her hands to stop her trying to punch him. He couldn’t understand why she was so mad at him anyay.“Would you stop Princess?! You’re going to get yourself hurt Goddammit!” he bellowed, ultimately making Joohuyn stop.

“You are a ing . And stop calling me Princess, my name is Joohuyn!” Joohuyn shouted back. She was breathing hard and her eyes were red. She was either that pissed off, or she had cried. Or both. “Next time you want to talk , make sure the damn mic is off” she said and stormed off towards the changing rooms. Jiyong followed her but stayed outside, waiting until she was done.

As soon as she came out, he noticed she had cried. He bit his lip and grabbed her, holding here tight. He was anchoring himself to her so that he doesn’t walk back to Top and punch him into the ground. Just when they were about to walk out, Top walked in from the pit side but he didn’t get to say anything. “Don’t” was all Jiyong said before he led Joohuyn out of the building and into his car. They drove in silence for bit but Jiyong couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“Do you want me to go back and punch him? Just say the word and I’d be on him like a staph infection” Jiyong said, trying to lighten the mood. It worked as Joohuyn burst out laughing, sounding like a dog choking on a bone. Jiyong soon followed suit, unable to keep a straight face after the sounds coming out of her. After sobering up, Joohuyn slid her hand on Jiyong’s thigh, squeezing it a little to get his attention. Jiyong briefly looked at her before looking back at the road again, placing his hand on top of hers. “I’m sorry you had to hear that Kwon. I don’t know what his damn problem is” she explained. Jiyong whipped his head in her direction, wearing a serious frown. “Why would you apologise for that prick. And I’m sorrier that you had to hear it. I don’t know what kind of history you guys have, but I’ll be damned if I let him speak to you or about you that way again” Joohuyn just sighed and shook her head, not wanting to go into detail.

“I’ll deal with him, so don’t get involved. Our history is nothing to be concerned about and I don’t want any animosity between the two of you or awkwardness amongst team members.” Joohuyn said.

After driving around for half an hour, discussing possible restaurants to have lunch at, they both decided on take-out. After a quick lunch in the car while parked outside the fast food chain, Jiyong started driving in complete silence. Joohuyn kept looking out t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter