Beautiful Tonight

Passionate Inclination

  

It was a late night the next time Kibum saw the angelic man named Kim Jonghyun. Classes had long since been over for the day and he had been bored, sitting alone in his dorm so he decided to go out to one of the college campus' cafes. The campus in Seoul hosted night classes for the working students who needed the option, so most of their buildings stayed open late enough for those students to also utilize them.


Kibum didn't mean to count, but he know that it had been a week since he had seen the mystery boy named Jonghyun and he was starting to wonder if it was just all a dream. He peeked through the window and sighed when he saw the snow falling gently through the light of a nearby street light.
 He adorned his body in some black skinnies, a red and black flannel, and  a fluffy black scarf. Kibum set out, walking in the dark with his head down and his music blasting through the earphones pushed into his ears. 


He wouldn't lie and say he wasn't afraid to walk in the dark, he had never really walked in the dark alone before, but he wouldn't let his fears keep him wrapped up in the tiny dorm. He kept his eyes low but high enough to seen where he was going. The cafe wasn't far from where the dorm was, to make it convient for all students. Kibum pushed the scarf up over his nose with a tiny huff and shiver from the cold, rubbing his red ears. 
When Kibum pushed the heavy door to enter the cafe a comfortable heat swarmed his body. He shook himself a little to rid some of the snow from his jacket as he took the scarf up, rolling it up and heading to the counter to get something to drink. The girl at the counter gave him a tired smile and asked what he would like her to get for him.


"Vanilla Chai Latte, please. Iced." He looked at the food options around the counter and tossed a tripple chocolate cookie on the counter as well. "This, too." The girl gave him an odd look for just a second since he had orderd an iced drink the middle of the snow but he nodded and rang him out anyway. He bowed and thanked her before taking his order and heading to an empty table by the window. 

He looked around the building, taking all of it in. The lights were bright enough to see comfortably and do work, but still dimmed in an ambiance. There was a small stage with a stool in the middle of it and there was spotlight pointing at the stool and he wondered if there was going to be a performance.


Kibum peeled the plastic off of the cookie and began to nibble on it, looking away from the stage for just one moment when someone walked out onto it. He choked on his cookie a little when he heard the voice he was starting to think didn't actually exist. 


He didn't focus on what was even being said but his eyes lifted up and he stared. There Jonghyun was, in dark jeans and a grey turtle neck. Kibum's tongue darted over his lip and he sighed, Jonghyun was one of the most handsome humans Kibum had ever laid eyes on. 


Jonghyun suddenly strummed the guitar in his lap and Kibum snapped back to reality. Is he going to sing? God Kibum hoped so. Jonghyun parted his lips and did exactly there. Soft music flowed from the speakers on either side of the stage.

It’s late, let’s go home now
It’s another late night and I’m taking you home
The moon is big, it’s a full moon
If I let you go like this, I won’t be able to sleep for a while

I go this way every day but I pretend I didn’t hear you
As I go round and round, you probably noticed right?
I don’t mean anything else, I just wanna be with you a little more, that’s why I’m doing this

Oh Beautiful Tonight, Oh Say Oh Say, Oh Say Oh Say
Oh Beautiful Tonight, Oh Say Oh Say, Oh Say Oh Say

Let’s get up now, why is it so sad?
We’ve been saying the same things for the past 30 minutes
I can’t hold your hand, let go of your hand or hug you
So I’m only looking at your pretty eyes, nose and red cheeks and lips

Suddenly Jonghyun's eyes found Kibum and his plump lips curled into a small smile as he kept their eyes connected for the rest of the song.

How, just how can I get you?
Don’t go, don’t go, will those words work?

Oh Beautiful Tonight, Yeah Oh Say Oh Say, Oh Say Hey
Oh Beautiful Tonight, Oh Say Oh Say, Oh Say Yeah

Oh Beautiful Tonight, Yeah

Kibum's heart fluttered shyly and his face flushed red. Why was Jonghyun looking at him like that? He put his head down so his eyes would be glued to his forgotten cookie. Jonghyun sang a couple more songs before bowing and thanking the students that tossed money into his guitar case. When Jonghyun disappeared from the stage, Kibum went back to sipping and looking at instagram on his phone. 


He was lost in his own world, thinking about the color and shape of Jonghyun's eyes before he saw the chair on the other side of his table being pulled out a familiar grey sweatshirt appearing in front of him. His eyes widened and he looked up. Jonghyun. 


"I haven't seen you in a couple days, cutie." Jonghyun put his elbow on the table and rested his chin in his hand. 


"Maybe you were supposed to suffer without my presence." Kibum sipped his drink again, trying to play coy. He didn't want Jonghyun to know how absolutely nervous he was. 


"I don't want to be away from your presence." Jonghyun said these things like they weren't going to cause Kibum's heart to jump to his throat. "I want to take you on a date, Kibum."


"That was rather blunt of you don't you think?" Kibum liked it, though he wouldnt admit it right away. Kibum was trying to deside if he wanted to trust the other, he didn't see why not buthe barley knew the man. "Why are you like this? Are you trying to get something out of me?"


"Did you not hear my first song? 'I don’t mean anything else, I just wanna be with you a little more, that’s why I’m doing this'. It's that simple.." He quoted his own lyrics,  making Kibum blush. 


"I'll think about it." Kibum cross his legs, finishing his cookie. 


"Can I at least walk you home?" Jonghyun didn't seem to be planning to give up any time soon. Kibum finished his drink and nodded, a blush flushing over his soft cheeks. 


"If you really want to, but just to my dorm building. I don't even know you, you realise that right? You don't know me." Kibum's voice was weak and nervous. He had never even been a date before.


"I want to." Jonghyun's was sincere. "I saw how passionate you were when you danced, and your breathtakingly beautiful, and I want to get to know you."


"I'm Kim Kibum. I'm 24. I'm a dance major and for our date I want to get free food." Kibum copied Jonghyun's actions, elbow on the table and head in his hand.


"You're forward, Kibum. I like it." Jonghyun sat up, leaning back in his chair. "You know my name beautiful, I'm 26 but you don't have to worry about formalities. I'm a performing arts major with a focus in music. For our date I want to buy you food."


Kibums eyes sparkled and he let out a slight laught, covering his mouth. "Fine then I guess I'll just have to let you take me out then." 


"I promise you wont regret it, i'll treat you like a prince."


"I'm a queen."


"As you wish, your majesty."


They talked for a while longer until Kibum's eyes were drooping with the desire for sleep. Jonghyun stood up and offered his hand for the younger, which was taken hesitantly. Kibum stood and let Jonghyun lead him out into the cold, standing close to the muscular man.


"I hate the snow. I'm to thin for the cold." Kibum pouted, swinging his hand with Jonghyun's as they walked. 


"I'll buy you lots of foods and fatten you up." Jonghyun joked, squeezing the hand in his. They're hands fit together so well and Jonghyun's kept his warm. It felt like they were just meant to be holding each others hands.


Jonghyun stopped and placed his jacket around Kibum who started to protest, but Jonghyun wouldn't have it. "I'm used to the snow, it's fine." They didn't speak much as they walked to the dorm building, stopping just outside the door. 


"Thank you for walking me, Jonghyun..." Kibum shuffled his feet shyly, chewing his lip. He leaned and gave a quick peck the Jonghyun's cheek before rushing inside, still wearing the shorter's jacket.