Chapter 9: Questions

Figment

My head feels heavy. There's a slight ringing in my ears. I am lying on something that smells nice and feels comfortably warm. I don't want to get up. Ever. I try to get back to sleep when I vaguely hear a hushed voice saying, "Yes. Things are going as planned..."

Rustle.

"There's nothing to worry about."

Three light footsteps.

"No. We lost them."

Pause. I feel my heartbeat quicken.

"I'll let you know."

A soft beep and everything is quiet.

The ringing in my ears is completely gone now. I keep my eyes closed and pretend to be asleep. Inhaling deeply, I shift to a side-lying position facing my right, dragging the blanket with me.

A door opens and I hear Joongki's voice, "Anything new?"

A bored voice I recognize as Rain's reply, "Nothing. Still asleep. You can take over the shift now."

A door opens and closes again. And then, silence. Keeping my feigned sleeping state, my memory quickly reminds me of the reason why I'm lying in this bed. And I feel even worse. After fainting in front of Joongki, I don't know how I will ever face him again. That is the most embarrassing thing that has every happened to me. He might think I did it on purpose!

Now, how will I get out of here?

I open one eye bleakly and close it back again. I am forced to swallow my own saliva when I feel the right side of the bed dip lower. Suddenly the nice scent I have been inhaling is doubled. I involuntarily take a deep breath.

"Show's over. I know you're awake," I hear Joongki's voice, loud and clear.

I open my eyes and find myself looking at Joongki's smirking face. His eyes are twinkling with amusement. He is also lying on his left side, looking at me. I open my eyes to spout who-knows-what but he beats me to it. With warmer eyes, he asks, "How are you feeling?"

Taken aback by the tone of his voice, I say automatically, "Fine." What's up with this guy? He has a dozen faces I dunno which one is the real him.

"Just fine?" he repeats. Before I can react, he pulls me closer to him and asks, "Is this better?"

My face pressed against his chest, I'm not sure if it's my own heartbeat I'm hearing or his. But one thing is for sure. It's freaking fast and loud against my ears. Thank goodness he has his shirt on because I can swear his hard chest is bigger than mine. I don't know what to say or how to react. This new treatment has caught me off guard. What am I supposed to do now?

Pull away! You idiot. Pull away! Run for your life! My brain is screaming at me but the beating of my heart is louder, drowning it, although I dunno what it's trying to say.

"What are you doing?" I ask, finally unsticking my tongue from the floor of my mouth.

He sighs. Placing a hand on my shoulder, he says casually, "Trying to make you sleep." He starts to massage the muscles of my arm, "Does this help?"

I will probably say yes to a free massage if the situation isn't this confusing and complicated. How can I sleep when all I can hear are the sounds of a loud bass drum? When all I can smell is this intoxicating scent coming from him? I will sleep in my room, thank you. My brain says haughtily.

Before I lose all sense of logic, scramble out of his touch. I eye him apprehensively.

"Are you afraid of me?" he asks, a slight crease forming on his forehead. He looks so handsome with the rays of moonlight from the window illuminating his features. Yes, I'm afraid of you. I cannot have this... whatever this is... towards you when I don't even know what role you play in all of this.

"What are you playing at? One moment you're this narcissistic, arrogant jerk and then next you're an... whatever you are right now. What exactly are you trying to pull?" I demand. I am so exhausted with all the ordeals I've been through for the past 48 hours. I don't need another puzzle to solve.

I walk around the edge of the bed away from him. He follows my movement with his gaze never leaving my eyes.

"I'm only trying to help. But if I'm making you feel uncomfortable..." he shrugs, holding both hands up.

"Thanks for clarifying. I'm capable of taking care of myself," I say, trying to put as much conviction as I can in my words. Without so much as a backward glance, I walk out of his bed and head over to my room downstairs as fast as I can.

Closing the door behind me, and lean against it, clutching my racing heart. Calm the heck down! Oh my goodness what is happening to me? I know he's attractive with those piercing brown eyes, strong jaw, perfect teeth, silky black hair, and Adonis body. Things are already hard to bear as they are without adding his strong, mysterious personality to the equation. Why does he have to show me that side of his personality? Is he playing with my emotions?

What exactly are the reasons why he wants to save me, anyway? Who am I to him? What does it matter to him if I die?