belize save me*

let me moderate your caucus

Chanyeol eyes the email he's received, eyes twinkling with surprise and happiness as he scans the contents of the email. He proceeds to text Jongin, an unlikely first year friend for senior Chanyeol but did not matter as the former was pretty much in tune with whatever Chanyeol ever does, including his incredibly awkward humour. They joined the Model United Nations of the university this year. Although it was best for Chanyeol to focus more on his internship, he wanted to at least spend his last year taking in all the opportunities he could grab onto. Besides, joining the MUN would be a plus to his rather short resume. He isn't really the student everyone looked up to because of his good grades or impressive negotiating skills. He was more known as the batch's clown, the one who'll laugh off any situation, a carefree soul. 

That was his legacybringing laughter and smiles to his exhausted batchmatesand he didn't mind. But he's got to act like the respectable senior everyone else is. He's have to be a perfect example of a responsible senior to the lower batches, especially to Jongin. The first year was quite the shy one. If he's gonna survive this course, Chanyeol's got to teach him how while he can. 

His phone buzzes after a few seconds, telling him Jongin replied.

Jongin: I got Belize for General Assembly.

Chanyeol: Eh, not bad for a first-timer.

Jongin: Yeah, I agree but wouldn't it be really great if I got a bigger country though like idk China?

Chanyeol: Man, you're just gonna cry when they start coming at you. Best leave it to the big guys like Junmyeon.

Jongin: Yeah, you got a point. What you get?

Chanyeol: Welcome Djibouti to the General Assembly, baby!

Jongin: Suits you.

Chanyeol: I know. 

Chanyeol chuckles and hums to himself as he goes back to writing whatever he knows about piracy and counterterrorism mechanisms. It's going to be a wonderful year.

 


 

"Congratulations, Baekhyun." Baekhyun's professor says, smiling and shaking his hand. "Congratulations on being the 20th Secretary General of the Model United Nations."

"Thank you," Baekhyun replies, eyeing the few students lined up behind the professor.

"Meet your team. While you've got them, I'll still be around to help, you know that right?"

"Of course, professor." The professor proceeds to patting him on the back.

"I'll leave you guys to it." Once he's out of the door, Baekhyun turns back to his team and gives them a smile.

 


 

Baekhyun is beyond ecstatic, that's for sure. It's his last year in college and he's made sure it'll be his best one yet. Although, Baekhyun's accomplishments throughout his college life were already sufficient and impressive enoughlike being the Head Delegate to the delegation in the MUN at Romehe feels as if they still lacked a bit.

He's one of the few people in his batch who are serious about a career in the field of International Relations, a field his fellow batchmates already detest and strive to finish just to get that bachelor's degree companies usually look for. He doesn't let that annoy him, however, why when he's already so close to achieving his ultimate dream, of working at an embassy and probably studying at the prestigious Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations while he's at it.

His resume probably has six pages worth of accomplishments in ithis friend Jongdae would saya master's degree wouldn't even be necessary. Baekhyun karate chops him at that.

"Hi!" Baekhyun greets his Secretariat** as he smiles at each of them. "I'm Baekhyun, it's so nice to meet you."

"The Byun kid, right?" One of the students asks, a student with thick eyebrows and long legs that seem to go all the way. "Weren't you the one who presented that paper on the role of drones in combat missions?"

Baekhyun nods at this.

"Cool presentation, by the way." The student says. "Although it did bore me for a while there."

Baekhyun's eyes narrow and his lips purse. "Kris Wu, am I correct?"

"Uh-huh." Kris Wu. The student who landed an internship at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Baekhyun's livid. It's still a wonder to Baekhyun how Kris could even get the chance to work in the International Legal Affairs Bureau. It was totally unfair for someone like Baekhyun who worked and studied so hard to be inteviewed twice for a position in the Ministry when someone like Kris only took one assessment. It was totally unfair but then again, Baekhyun's working for the Deputy Minister himself anyway. 

"What brings you here? Don't get mad but you aren't the type to be so involved in activities such as this."

Kris shrugs, slumping lower on his chair. "Yeah, well my parents forced me into trying out. It's either this or they suspend all my basketball privileges."

Baekhyun chuckles. Figures. "What did you sign up for then?"

"Marketing." Kris replies. "Sponsorship." Baekhyun nods. While Kris may seem completely inept or incompetent, there are still things he's good at. In this matter, Kris would definitely come in handy what with his good looks and deep voice; the sponsors should definitely consider. If the sponsors don't give in, Baekhyun will force the boy to shell out from his own bank account. Everyone knew Kris Wu was loaded. He struts around campus wearing Reiss every other day, for goodness' sake.  

"Wonderful. So," Baekhyun starts. "shall we proceed?"

 


 

"You're getting it all wrong again, Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun shrieks, in what is probably the 10th time for the day. "You don't get to do that, you have to suspend parliamentary procedures first."

"Okay, okay I get it." Kyungsoo tells him. "Before I do, do I bang the gavel first?" Baekhyun groans as he rubs his hands over his eyes. It's been three hours since he's briefed the Secretariat with their tasks, the students fluttering in and out, already busy with emails and calls. Yet, Baekhyun still can't get Kyungsoo to understand the basics.

"That isn't really necessary, Kyungsoo." Baekhyun croaks out, watching the boy bang the gavel repeatedly. "But whatever, as long as you remember."

They still have at least two months to prepare for this, Baekhyun thinks. He shouldn't be so worried. The professors were the ones who screened all applications for both Secretariat and Dais***. If these people are here, then it means the higher ups believed in their potential and capability, something Baekhyun has apparently yet to see. He eyes Kyungsoo again who is still deeply transfixed with the gavel and sighs.

"Baekhyun," Luhan, his Deputy approaches him. Albeit older than Baekhyun, Luhan looks the younger one between them with his light brown hair and petite stature. It's one of the reasons why Luhan gets called pretty, feminine, or a girl but everyone tries to avoid calling him the last one. They wouldn't want a repeat of what happened with Onew the last time. "I secured permits for the venues. The drama club wouldn't let us use the auditorium at first, but I made them reschedule."

"Good, good." Baekhyun says. He turns to Kris who was still slumped on his chair. Baekhyun's haven't seen him move from that place since. "And did you get us sponsors already? We need a tentative list by next week so we can figure out on the budget."

"Yeah, yeah," Kris waves him away with a hand. "I'm trying to secure a deal with Starbucks."

"Starbucks," Luhan muses, pen tapping happily against his glasses. "We're spoiling the delegates this year, hmm?"

"It's that or instant coffee from Lotte, you pick."

"Hey, Lottee instant coffee isn't at all bad!" Another students speaks up from working on his laptop.

"I'm not gonna drink instant coffee for three days, you prick." Kris sneers. "At least have some class, dude. We're getting delegates from all over the world and all you want to serve them is instant coffee?"

Baekhyun and Luhan watch as Kris reprimands the other student who was already cowering in fear, attempting to use his laptop to block Kris from his sight. 

"What about the food?" Baekhyun asks and watches the student use the opportunity to sneak away from Kris. "McDonald's?"

"Are you serious? No way are we eating disgusting greasy food from some fast food chain!"

"But last year's Secretariat did just that, though." Luhan says. "Besides, it's within the budget."

"I don't think McDonald's is a good idea," Kyungsoo tells them, still playing with the gavel and banging it repeatedly on the table.

"Exactly!" Kris shrieks, waving his arms around. "Don't worry about the food and the budget. Trust me on this."

"And what about the food restrictions of some delegates?" Baekhyun asks. "Some don't eat meat, nuts, we have delegates who eat halal, and seafood."

"Noted. I'll probably feed them some grass then." Kris says, distracted by his phone suddenly vibrating. "Look, that's probably one of the sponsors. Best be worrying about your Dais now, Baekhyun." He adds, gesturing to Kyungsoo and a few others huddled in one corner. "I'd be worried about people who're in their senior year and yet can't distinguish US from Canada."

 


 

"Is Canada America?"

"I'm sorry, what?" Baekhyun asks looking at the student straight in the eye. It was Oh Sehun, a first year student who was chosen as the Vice Chairman of the General Assembly. Baekhyun still could not understand how a first year student could become part of the Dais when he was still learning the basics in International Relations.

"We needed him, since it was one of the sponsor's conditions." Luhan whispered quietly to him by his side as Baekhyun continue to gape at the stoic student who looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there right now. "They already signed up a check worth thousands a week before the school announced this year's MUN."

"It pretty much makes sense, right?" Sehun asks. "Canada is part of America, not US, although why do they call themselves America when America is a continent?"

"Mexico is America too, then!" Kyungsoo says.

"Yeah and so is Hawaii?"

"Hawaii is part of America."

"Wait, which America?"

"US, duh."

"I thought we established the fact that US is not the only America!"

"US is still in America though!"

Baekhyun's groans go unheard as his Dais continue to argue among themselves, the other students joining in on the conversation creating a more chaotic atmosphere. Luhan pats his Secretary General on the back in sympathy, eyeing the commotion before them in weary. It wasn't his task to train the Dais so he prays to whatever god up there to give Baekhyun all the strength and patience he needs. 

The Model United Nations hasn't even started and yet, Luhan hopes Baekhyun isn't regretting it.

 


 

Some footnotes!

*belize save me - a MUN pun for 'please save me', denoting Baekhyun's struggle as the Secretary General hahaha

**Secretariat - the organizing team behind the Model United Nations. They're usually made up of a Secretary General and his/her Deputies in various departments like Finance, Marketing, etc.

***Dais - the Dais consists of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, and a Rapporteur. There is one set of Dais per committee. They facilitate the sessions of the Model United Nations.

A/N: First thing is up! I wanted to give you a glimpse of what goes on behind the Model United Nations. Think of it like a MUN 101. Also, I had fun incorporating and writing the members here. They perfectly suit their roles, especially Kris. I definitely had fun writing him. Hopefully, we'll get to read more of him in the next chapter! I also hope this will suffice for now. The next thing up would be focusing on Chanyeol and Baekhyun next as the MUN starts. So, I hope you'll be with me until the end! Thanks everyone.