Chapter 3

The Phone Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 3

Jaehwan woke up and it was almost two in the afternoon. He was already feeling well that he was able to stand up.

He went directly to the kitchen and saw a bowl of rice, a plate of grilled beef and a bowl of soup all wrapped on the dining table. He saw a note and read it.

I know that you’ll wake up late so I made you something before I left. You must be proud that you’re the first one who would actually taste the food that I cooked.

From Taekwoon.

P.S. I already cleaned the spilled drink on the floor.

Jaehwan smiled as he sat on a chair and unwrapped everything to eat. When he took a bite, he was overjoyed. “Wow! It’s delicious. I must send a text.”

He got his phone from his bag and saw almost ten messages all from Taekwoon, Hongbin and even Hakyeon. He opened Hakyeon’s messages first.

Are you okay now? I am terribly sorry for what happened to you yesterday.

Don’t worry, I already scolded Hongbin.

Jaehwan texted back. It’s not Hongbin’s fault. Don’t worry. I am fine now. I’ve gotten a good rest.

He opened Hongbin’s messages after. Out of ten, he sent seven of them. The first four messages was sent simultaneously judging by the timestamps.

Good morning. Have you already eaten?

Have you rested well?

I already scolded our officemates for making you drunk.

Why are you not answering? Did that guy delete the messages?

Jaehwan, I’m sorry.

I am sorry I left you.

Jaehwan stopped opening the other messages when he read that. He texted back. I am fine, Hongbin. Thanks for taking me home. I was irresponsible so please don’t scold the others. I am sorry if I wasn’t able to go to work today. I’ll make it up to you. He sent the message and proceed to read the last message from him. It was the latest message and it was only sent almost fifteen minutes ago.

Aish, I am so worried. I am going there as fast as I could.

“This was sent fifteen minutes ago so… he must be on his way. Wait, what!? Why is he going here!?” Jaehwan exclaimed as he tried to clean his room as fast as he could. He ate Taekwoon’s food as fast as he could, not letting Hongbin see it. He stopped halfway. “Why am I even eating Taekwoon’s food quickly? Speaking of Taekwoon, he opened the text message that he sent as well.

I finished everything earlier. I will be there in twenty minutes. And it was sent fifteen minutes ago.

He panicked as he stood and paced. “What am I going to do!?”

He was about to text both Hongbin and Taekwoon that he was not there but before he could text the messages, he heard a doorbell. He sighed and tried to calm himself, then he walked towards the door and opened it. He almost took a step back when he saw both Hongbin and Taekwoon at the door. “A-Ah… hi?” Jaehwan smiled awkwardly as he simultaneously looked at Hongbin then at Taekwoon. “Y-You guys must be in a hurry. Come in please?” It’s as if Jaehwan wanted to disappear at that very moment when he felt the tension between the two men in front of him. “Have you eaten?”

“No,” the guys answered in sync. They both looked – Jaehwan would rather describe it like that even though they were actually glaring – at each other.

“Ah, I’m just going to cook something,” Jaehwan chuckled and turned around to go to the kitchen. He sighed as he went in. What the hell?

Jaehwan opened the refrigerator as well as the cabinets to find something that both of them could eat. After a while, Taekwoon entered the kitchen and put his arm around Jaehwan’s waist then pulled him closer. Jaehwan almost yelped in surprise when Taekwoon did that. He looked at Taekwoon who was able to get raw ingredients. “I’ve been here so many times and almost lived here so I am quite familiar with everything!” Taekwoon shouted clearly enough for Hongbin to hear. “Right, Jaehwan?”

“T-Taekwoon,” Jaehwan whispered softly yet firmly.

“Oops!” Jaehwan was surprised when Hongbin pushed them away from each other by getting in between them and putting some food on the countertop that he almost forgot that he had them with him. Hongbin then smiled at Jaehwan. “I forgot that I took some food with me! Too bad, I only have two packs,” Hongbin then smirked at Taekwoon who was looking at him blankly. “I guess someone has to cook his own food.”

Jaehwan went in between Taekwoon and Hongbin. “Ah, I have an idea! Why don’t you just eat the food that Hongbin brought? I have eaten already and you both haven’t so, isn’t it a better idea?”

There was obviously a disagreeing answer from both of his visitors that it created a weird silence until they finally settled for it.

Jaehwan felt his head was going to hurt again. He knew that it would be a very long day.

***

“What were you doing?” Jaehwan asked. “You didn’t have to do that whenever Hongbin was around.”

“He pissed me off,” Taekwoon said without looking at Jaehwan. They walked together to the train station after they had bid goodbye to Hongbin who was obviously against Taekwoon leaving later than him since he had a car. “Seeing that idiot made me think that he was really a bad guy.”

“Hongbin was not a bad guy. It’s just that he was a womanizer,” Jaehwan defended Hongbin. “And he hurt me.”

“That makes him a bad guy,” Taekwoon insisted. He stopped walking and Jaehwan stopped to. “Wait, don’t tell me, you’re still in love with him.”

Jaehwan turned to Taekwoon. “I am sure that I am not in love with him anymore, Taekwoon.”

“Why are you defending him then? Do you know that all your decisions this afternoon were positive for him? When you agreed that you’d go with him for a week,” Taekwoon recalled. “Why don’t you just give that to someone else?”

“The layouts were my work so obviously, I was the one who should go with him. Besides, it’s just one week. What might happen on just one week?” Jaehwan asked.

“Something happened between us in just one day, so things may happen in one week,” Taekwoon said. He then held Jaehwan’s shoulders. “Look. I don’t want you to fall to the wrong person again.”

“To whom shall I fall for?” Jaehwan asked. “I can’t fall for you, can I?”

Taekwoon sighed heavily and removed his grasp from Jaehwan’s shoulders and started walking before he answered. “You can’t.”

Jaehwan chased Taekwoon. “Why not? What if I fall for you? What if I am already starting to?”

Taekwoon turned to Jaehwan. “You can’t fall for me. And if you are falling for me, please stop it. Please stop it because I don’t want to hurt you by rejecting you,” Taekwoon answered. “Go home and have enough rest. I can manage from here.” Taekwoon turned around and started walking again. Jaehwan just remained there.

“How can I not fall for you if we’re always like this?” Jaehwan whispered as he stared at Taekwoon’s back until he completely disappeared.

***

“What if I fall for you? What if I am already starting to?”

Taekwoon looked outside the train’s window as he recalled what Jaehwan said. He knew that it was the answer that he should say to him. He knew that it was the right thing to do but it didn’t feel right at all.

Why are you still acting like this?

He had alighted from the train when he felt his head aching tremendously that he just fell in his knees. He shook as he tried to get the pills from his bag for him to drink it but his eyes were also failing him. He heard some concerned people asking him if he was alright but those were the last words that he heard before he passed out.

***

“Thank you very much!”

“I did what’s right.” Hongbin smiled and bowed at the parents of the little girl who he took to the hospital because of stomachache. He was driving home when he saw a little girl in the street hugging her tummy because of so much pain. Her mother was so frantic and she seemed asking for help. Hongbin immediately got out of his car to volunteer to get them to the hospital. “I am going now.”

“Thanks again, Sir,” said the mother before she and her husband went in the emergency room. Hongbin decided to go out of the emergency room as well. On his way, he saw a familiar man who just got out of one room.

“Taekwoon?” Hongbin asked himself as he tried to walk towards him. “What’s he doing here?” While he was walking towards him, Taekwoon just went the other way and walked quickly until he reached the exit. Hongbin stopped at where Taekwoon came from and read the sign. “Neurological clinic? What did he do here?”

He then ran outside the hospital to catch Taekwoon but he was not around anymore.

***

A day passed without Taekwoon visiting or calling Jaehwan. Jaehwan was so worried that Taekwoon took offense on what he said that was why he was not answering his text messages or calls.

“I saw that guy yesterday at the hospital. He just went out from neurological clinic,” Hongbin told him while he was absentmindedly staring at his phone. Jaehwan looked at Hongbin.

“Maybe he was visiting someone at the hospital,” Jaehwan said softly as he put his phone down.

“Maybe it’s his girlfriend. Maybe he’s cheating on you,” Hongbin told him. “The doctor was a woman, for your information.”

Probably he was visiting a client, Jaehwan thought to himself and he felt a stinging sensation in his chest. Why am I even feeling this? “Taekwoon is not my boyfriend.”

Hongbin blinked twice. “So he’s not your boyfriend?”

Why did I even say it to Hongbin? But it’s true anyway! I don’t have the right to feel jealous, “You heard it right. He can do whatever he wants because I don’t have the right to care.”

Hongbin smiled, then eventually it turned into a loud laugh. “So you’re free then. I can ask you out.”

“Supervisor Lee,” said one officemate. “Your client is asking for you and Jaehwan’s presence immediately.”

“Okay,” Hongbin said to her. “Jaehwan, can I ask you out then?”

“Supervisor Lee,” Jaehwan said, making Hongbin stop. “Let’s meet the client, alright?”

Hongbin smiled. “Sure. But later I’ll ask you again.”

Jaehwan rolled his eyes as he stood and went ahead of Hongbin. Hongbin had thrown a celebratory punch in the air before he followed Jaehwan.

***

A week passed and Jaehwan really thought that Taekwoon had forgotten about him. As for him, he also moved on with his life. If Taekwoon was doing that just to stop him from falling for him, he’s doing a good job. But of course, he’s really getting more frustrated each day.

Come to think of it, Taekwoon had no obligation for me or whatsoever, so he could do whatever he wanted to do, Jaehwan said as he was facing the mirror, tying his necktie. He, Hongbin and Hakyeon would be attending a party to celebrate the launch of their client’s restaurant where Jaehwan’s layouts would be used. It turned out that the client was maybe only as old as him and as expected, she looked very beautiful and well-off. Jaehwan thought he had known her from somewhere but he couldn’t remember when.

During the meeting, he observed Hongbin because he knew that she was his type of woman. He surprised when he saw Hongbin looking and smiling instead at him all throughout the meeting.

But I freaking don’t understand why he’s not even answering me. Was he mad at me? But why? Because I told him that I might be falling for him already? I also told him through text that I was sorry and I was not quite sure about that! Jaehwan almost choked when he tied his necktie with force. He loosened it up as he coughed simultaneously. He sighed as he looked at himself. He looked thin and tired. He also looked like he had not slept well for days. Well, he really did not because he was waiting for Taekwoon to come or at least text him but to no avail. I don’t even know him that much that I don’t know where he lives.

He heard a doorbell and saw both Hongbin and Hakyeon in front of his apartment.

“You look stunning, Jaehwan,” Hakyeon smiled as he complimented him.

“You look awesome, baby,” Hongbin said that made Hakyeon glare at him. “What? It’s how I usually call him. Don’t get too jealous that we have pet names for each other.”

“Yah, both of you look better than me so stop fighting,” Jaehwan said as he closed the door behind him. “Let’s go.”

***

Jaehwan found himself in an awkward situation when he was sitting in between the half-brothers. But he was actually thankful that he was quite distracted that he wasn’t thinking too much about Taekwoon.

When they arrived at the venue, he was quite surprised but proud to see his designs in the restaurant. He and Hongbin had worked for that with several men and Ms. Kim, the client, visited everyday to see how it was developed.

“I am so proud of you, Jaehwan,” Hongbin smiled and bumped Jaehwan softly as they looked around. “We worked on this and it looked stunning, just like how you looked tonight.”

Jaehwan smiled at Hongbin. “Thanks Hongbin for being with me throughout this project.”

“Of course,” Hongbin nodded and he tried to put his arm around Jaehwan but someone coughed intentionally behind them.

“Excuse me, this is not your house, Hongbin so leave Jaehwan alone,” Hakyeon said and put his arm around Jaehwan’s shoulders first. “Jaehwan, I’ll introduce you to more clients if you want to.” Hakyeon took him away from Hongbin who snorted first then followed both of them.

After ten minutes, the restaurant’s lights went out and the spotlights were directed at the main stage. Jaehwan, Hongbin and Hakyeon watched as the emcee introduced the owner of the restaurant. Jaehwan’s eyes grew big as he saw Taekwoon appearing with Kim Jiwon as her .

“Taekwoon? Is that Taekwoon?” Hongbin looked at Jaehwan who was still staring at the stage. He felt blank as he saw Jiwon and Taekwoon’s arms linked together, and he felt dizzy when he saw them smiling sweetly at each other. “What is he doing here? Why is he an ?”

Jaehwan smiled awkwardly. “Y-Yeah, he’s probably an .” It’s his work, I guess? It’s part of his work? She’s his client, right?  “Maybe they’re related or something.”

After the applause from the crowd, Jiwon took the microphone and spoke. “To everyone, welcome to my newly opened five-star restaurant. To all of you, guests, I am thanking you for your support and your help to build this restaurant. This is the restaurant that Taekwoon and I are proud of. You’re all special guests so we will announce something,” Jiwon lifted her hand and showed a ring on her finger. “Taekwoon and I are engaged!”

The room was full of happy wishes and applauses. Jaehwan felt really small at that moment, and Hongbin looked at him. “Are you alright, Jaehwan?”

“What? What is happening?” Hakyeon was curious about Jaehwan and Hongbin.

Jaehwan felt that his eyes were starting to get hotter, so he nodded as an answer and excused himself to go to the toilet. He almost ran that when he finally reached the washroom he panted. His tears finally fell as he stared at the mirror. “Taekwoon has no obligation or any commitment to you, Jaehwan! Don’t be silly and act like this! Get a g-grip… L-Lee Jae-” He clenched his fists as he pressed the lavatory countertop as hard as possible. He breathed in and out as he tried to calm himself.

“Jaehwan…” Hongbin called him as he entered the washroom. “Are you alright?”

Jaehwan wiped his tears as quick as he could. “Of course! I must congratulate Taekwoon for being engaged! We shall go-” Jaehwan passed Hongbin by to go out but Hongbin held his arm. “I am okay, Hongbin.”

“So why were you crying?” Hongbin asked seriously and Jaehwan gulped.

“I felt betrayed, because he left me all of a sudden and now this,” Jaehwan answered. “That’s all. There are no emotions involved, Hongbin. That is just that.” He removed Hongbin’s hand and went out.

***

“Taekwoon, this is President Cha Hakyeon, Hongbin and Jaehwan. They’re the designers,” Jiwon introduced. Taekwoon looked like he was not surprised to see both Hongbin and Jaehwan at all. Hongbin was glaring at him, while Jaehwan was smiling. “Jaehwan’s work was so good! It matched all of my thoughts about this restaurant. He’s really a hardworking fellow too. Hongbin’s really hardworking too. He supervises Jaehwan well.”

Taekwoon smiled. “Is that so? I can see that.”

“Thanks Jiwon for trusting Jaehwan and Hongbin to do this,” Hakyeon said. “By the way, I heard that you’re setting up a hotel-resort after this, right?”

“Yeah! Actually, we’re going to announce it later,” Jiwon held Taekwoon’s hand. “Right Taekwoon? He actually proposed it. He said that he wanted to build a hotel-resort, only a private one in Jeju. The island was quite popular nowadays. His parents suggested to build that before our wedding so that we’ll be able to have our honeymoon there. It’s on April so it’s only two months from now, but we are rushing things now. The designs will still be done by you, right Jaehwan?”

Jaehwan smiled. “Sure! It’s your happiness so how can I say no?” He particularly looked at Taekwoon who was not looking at him. “How long have you been together?”

“Well, we’ve dated for only three months,” Jiwon said. “But we’ve found love in those three months. Right Taekwoon?”

“That’s too soon, don’t you think, Jaehwan?” Hongbin held Jaehwan’s shoulder. “Because Jaehwan and I dated for almost eight years.”

Jaehwan looked at him. Everyone looked so shocked, except for Taekwoon.

“That’s good for both of you. Did it last?” Taekwoon asked. Jaehwan turned to him and their eyes met. Why are you looking at me like that, Jaehwan?

“Ah, why don’t we grab a drink?” Hakyeon said to all of them. “Hongbin, Jaehwan and I would just grab a drink.”

“I think I’ll pass. I might pass out,” Jaehwan smiled at Hakyeon as he paused, then he continued, “I’ll just grab something to eat. This is a restaurant anyway.”

“Yes, our chefs were really good. You must try some of the main dishes,” Jiwon suggested. “I shall also leave you guys. I saw my parents and other partners, so I might attend to them. Please enjoy the night! Let’s go, Taekwoon?” Jiwon said and pulled Taekwoon from the three.

“Hongbin, you don’t go saying that you dated for eight years just like that!” Hakyeon scolded Hongbin who did not even bother. “Is that even necessary?”

“That guy is pissing me off. Don’t mind him, Jaehwan. Starting now, I won’t let that guy approach you or talk to you-”

“You’re overreacting, Hongbin!” Hakyeon said firmly but softly as he looked around to see if someone was looking at them. “What did Taekwoon do to you that pissed you off like that? And how was Jaehwan related to him?”

“Stop it, Hongbin,” Jaehwan commanded. “Let’s just grab something to eat, okay? I told you I am fine. It’s not that he’s my boyfriend or anything.” Jaehwan went ahead to the buffet area leaving Hongbin and Hakyeon behind.

“What? I don’t understand!” Hakyeon asked Hongbin.

“That’s why you shouldn’t just talk like you know everything,” Hongbin told Hakyeon and followed Jaehwan.

***

“So that was why you didn’t contact me. You’re dating someone else and what a surprise! You’ll be marrying her! Great,” Jaehwan said as he jumped on his bed and hugged a pillow. “Okay then. I’ll pretend that I didn’t know you prior this. Once your dream honeymoon hotel is finished, I will forever ignore you!” He screamed as he punched the pillow. “I cried not because I was jealous. I had no right to be jealous in the first place. I cried because I felt betrayed. Please know that, Jung Taekwoon!”

That thing just proved him that he didn’t know much about Taekwoon. Sitting with some visitors in the party made him know more about Taekwoon than when they were together.

“Yes, right. We’re just friends. We sometimes kiss each other, cuddle, and hug. That’s it! And it’s fine with me,” Jaehwan talked to himself as he lay facing the ceiling. “Now, we’re only client-designer. ing !”

Unknowingly, his tears just fell once again. He wiped them off. “Geez, why the hell am I crying again?” He tried to stop himself but he could not. “It was your fault Jaehwan. You did not like commitments, right? And even if you did, Taekwoon’s going to marry someone else.”

Jaehwan closed his eyes and lay face down.

“ you, Jung Taekwoon. I am falling for you for real.”

***

Hakyeon apologized to Jaehwan the next morning for not being able to know what happened between Taekwoon and the latter. Jaehwan told him that it was okay and he’d still continue doing the business with him despite of all that.

Because of that, he was sent to Jeju Island the next day to start evaluating the place. Contrary to what he knew, the building was already set up along with the swimming pool that was only across the whole building. According to the architect, all that he had to do was to design the landscapes, the windows, the doors, the walls and the ceilings and that’s it. It would only take him two weeks, Jaehwan also evaluated, to finish everything. After that, he promised to stop involving himself with Taekwoon to stop himself from falling for him more.

But it wouldn’t be that easy.

Hongbin was assigned to a different project so he would not be able to join him.

Also, Jiwon and Taekwoon arrived at the hotel together the afternoon after Jaehwan had arrived. Jaehwan kept professional in dealing with them, even though he knew that it would be difficult. Jiwon then said something that made him more nervous.

“Taekwoon’s going to supervise the whole thing,” Jiwon happily said. “I’d be going to the States to settle things about our wedding, and Taekwoon volunteered to just stay here in Jeju.”

What kind of torture is this, Jaehwan thought to himself then smiled at Jiwon. He looked at Taekwoon who was of course keeping his blank face. This is going to be bad. I can’t stay here with Taekwoon alone.

“I’ll leave the workers and the architect here with you. If you need something then just ask the workers to do it for you,” Jiwon said. “Oh, by the way. I’ll let you stay in one of the rooms for two weeks. Don’t worry. The architect has his own rest house while the workers were living in one apartment as well.”

“It’s fine,” Jaehwan said. “Actually, my company shouldered my two weeks rent in a hostel nearby so I have no problems with my accommodation.”

“Oh, is it?” Jiwon asked. “Okay then. Taekwoon, just stay in that room,” Jiwon told Taekwoon who nodded in reply. “Let’s tour the place first?”

“Sure,” Taekwoon said. They stood and excused themselves from Jaehwan.

Jaehwan sighed as soon as they left. What to do? I lied about my accommodation. We originally planned to stay here but because Taekwoon’s going to be here, I can’t stay here too. He called Hongbin but in the middle of ringing, he might just find out that Taekwoon was there and he had a huge problem. He couldn’t let Hongbin go there. He immediately hanged up before Hongbin could answer. “. He’s going to see it as a missed call. Ugh.”

Jaehwan stood as well to get his things from the only available room that Jiwon was talking about. He’s just going to sort it out himself.

***

But he wasn’t able to get a room anywhere. The hostels and even traditional houses were all full since it was summer season, a peak season for tourists. He tried hotels but all rates were too high that he couldn’t stay there for two weeks.

“Whatever. The important thing is that Taekwoon wouldn’t know that I have nowhere to stay.”

“Let me guess, you have nowhere to stay.”

He almost shrieked when he heard Taekwoon’s voice. “W-Where’s Jiwon?” He tried to divert the topic.

“She already left,” Taekwoon told Jaehwan as he approached him. “Back to the topic. You didn’t get any hostel, did you? You lied about your accommodation. I’ve known since you told us this afternoon. You were not a good liar, Jaehwan.”

“You’re not an honest person as well, Jung Taekwoon,” Jaehwan told Taekwoon. “Okay, so maybe you did hook up with females before while you were still dating Jiwon. So you’re kind of disloyal, don’t you think so, Mr. Jung of Jung TW companies?”

“If you learned those information through those people at that party, then you don’t know the whole thing about me,” Taekwoon said and took Jaehwan’s luggage from him. “You’re going to stay with me here.”

Jaehwan snapped out from his thoughts and tried to take his luggage away from Taekwoon. “I am not going to stay in one room with you.” Taekwoon stopped and faced Jaehwan. “I can stay somewhere, maybe at the workers’ apartment. Besides, I am still a worker here. I am not a VIP like you, Mr. Jung.”

“What’s with the formality? I was just the same Taekwoon that you knew once,” Taekwoon said to Jaehwan. He tightened the grip at his luggage and pulled it with him. “You’ll not stay in a room with me. There’s one more room left beside mine if you’re insisting to stay in a different room. It’s as if we didn’t share one bed before.”

“Had I known that you had a girlfriend, I wouldn’t even let you in because it would make me stupid,” Jaehwan said. Taekwoon stopped once again and turned to Jaehwan without saying anything. “I hated Hongbin for cheating on me, then I’d let a guy who was cheating with her girlfriend use me-”

“I didn’t use you,” Taekwoon said emphatically. “I never used you, Jaehwan. You agreed with that arrangement and we were only going with the flow. It’s only that and don’t blame me with that.”

“Fine then!” Jaehwan clenched his fists. “I was the wrong one. I’ll not blame you anymore. You could have at least been honest with me. Now, I really don’t know you anymore, Taekwoon. I thought I did but now I know that all of those that you showed me were lies.”

“I didn’t lie to you-”

“Then tell me which of those that you showed me weren’t lies,” Jaehwan dared. Taekwoon didn’t speak. “See? You disappeared for a week then you showed up with a fiancée. Was that why you asked me to stop falling for you?” Jaehwan asked and smirked. “Congratulations on that. I proved to myself that I couldn’t fall for you. That I was just confused about the things that you were showing me. But I know now that you are no different from Hongbin, Taekwoon. Fortunately for me, the only difference between you and him was that Hongbin and I had been committed to each other. We’re not.”

Jaehwan took his luggage back and pulled it away from Taekwoon.

***

Jaehwan could not sleep that night. He kept on rolling back and forth in his bed. Then he settled on staring at the ceiling.

He sighed. In a span of almost two weeks, Taekwoon didn’t contact him, then he showed up with not only a girlfriend but a fiancée. After that Jaehwan was the designer and Taekwoon was going to supervise him with his works. Lastly, it turned out that Taekwoon would stay with him in the hotel, beside his room.

He would find another room to rent. Sure there would be somewhere.

His phone rang and the screen showed Hongbin’s name. Jaehwan answered it.

“Hello?”

“How was the resort? Why are you not sleeping yet?” Hongbin asked. “If only I could go there and keep you company.”

“Taekwoon’s here,” Jaehwan informed him. There was silence on the other line. “But don’t worry, nothing’s going to happen.”

“To be honest, I’m not okay with that, Jaehwan,” Hongbin said. “Shall I go there and stay with you?”

“There’s no need, Hongbin. I can take care of myself, besides you have no obligation to me whatsoever, so it’s not needed,” Jaehwan said. Then he heard a sigh from the other line. “Hongbin, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry. You have no obligation to say sorry to me, Jaehwan. I’ve hurt you so much and I deeply regret it. And I don’t want to give you up yet,” Hongbin told Jaehwan. “At least report to me what’s happening. I am still your supervisor so I need to know. If something happens, I’ll go there. I promise you Jaehwan.”

Jaehwan nodded as if he was really talking to Hongbin. “I will Hongbin. Thanks for checking everything out. I think I am going to sleep now. I’ll talk to you tomorrow, okay? Don’t worry about me. I am fine. I will be fine.”

Hongbin then said goodbye and goodnight then hanged up.

***

The next day was tough for Jaehwan. As usual, he woke up as early as five in the morning to check out his layouts and see to it that he could improve the designs more. Since he needed coffee to wake his mind up, he decided to make coffee for him in the common pantry.

When he opened his room’s door, Taekwoon’s door also swung open. Because his reflexes were good, he tried to go back to his room and close the door.

What the hell, Jaehwan! You can’t always avoid him because he’s your client, Jaehwan said as he gently knocked his head on the door. He stayed in front of his door for at least ten minutes. “Face him, Jaehwan. You can do it. Face him just like how you did it in the party. He took a deep breath first before he opened the door, only to find out that Taekwoon was standing in front of his room. “A-Ah… hi,” Jaehwan greeted. “You’re up early.”

“Yes,” Taekwoon’s only response. He was holding a cup of coffee so he assumed that coffee was available in that hotel.

“I’ll just go to the pantry,” Jaehwan said and walked away from Taekwoon. When he was sure that Taekwoon could not see him anymore, he almost ran to the pantry. “Damn. Why am I so nervous?”

He looked for the coffee, creamer and sugar in the cupboard, but he wasn’t able to find anything. He tried to look somewhere else but he saw no coffee but only creamer and sugar. He gave up so he went back to his room. He saw Taekwoon still standing there. Taekwoon turned to him. Jaehwan almost gasped when Taekwoon looked at him straight in the eyes. He froze at where he was standing when Taekwoon slowly walked towards him and gave him the cup of coffee that he was holding. “It’s not that hot anymore. It’s just how you liked it.”

Jaehwan reluctantly received the coffee. “I thought that it was yours.”

“I knew that you would look for coffee as soon as you woke up so I made you one. I already drank my coffee so don’t worry,” Taekwoon said. “We have no coffee in the pantry but I do have packets in my room. If you like to have more, just go there.”

“I won’t go to your room!” Jaehwan screamed, to his and Taekwoon’s surprise. “I-I mean… I’m-”

“Just drink the coffee and don’t let it cool down more,” Taekwoon said and went back to his room. After a whi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter