Chapter 2

The Phone Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaehwan was expecting a visitor that night. But the person was not expecting him.

“Uhm, am I in the wrong apartment?” Taekwoon asked him. He looked around and then he looked at Jaehwan who was staring at him blankly. “I am pretty sure, this is the right address. Or is there someone with you?”

Jaehwan shook his head. “Not at all. If you are talking about the person who contacted you, it’s me. If you’re the owner of the phone number, then welcome to my home.” Jaehwan opened the door widely, implying that he was asking Taekwoon to enter. Taekwoon hesitated but he entered anyway. He was still looking around and Jaehwan finally closed the door after him. “I know actually that you’re a guy.”

Taekwoon turned to Jaehwan who was still standing near the door. “Hope you’re not a policeman or something and you won’t put handcuffs on my wrist. Well, if you’re then I might use handcuffs too.”

Jaehwan almost choked at how vulgar this man’s language was. He coughed twice then he tried to stop himself and straightened himself as well. “Anyway… I just tried texting you.”

Taekwoon nodded and sat on Jaehwan’s bed. “This is my first time doing it with a guy so pardon me if I will be unprofessional later, but I can ensure you that you will enjoy.”

He talks naturally, Jaehwan thought as he approached Taekwoon. “Do you want something to eat?”

Taekwoon laughed loudly. “The first thing that I usually hear from my clients were, ‘take off your clothes’ or ‘I want to get on with it’ or something along those lines, not that one.”

Jaehwan coughed again. “I told you, I am not used to this kind of thing.”

“Okay, so what do you want then?” Taekwoon asked, arms crossed over his chest. He was not used to the silence while having a staring game, so he asked again, “Do you have some doughnuts?”

“I don’t, but I have bread here,” Jaehwan went to the kitchen to open the refrigerator and got the plate of bread then showed it to Taekwoon. “Shall I put it in the oven or are you fine with eating cold bread?”

Taekwoon smirked. “You’re kind of interesting.”

Jaehwan then approached Taekwoon to serve the bread, but Taekwoon held his wrist and pulled him towards the bed where Jaehwan fell on and without warning, Taekwoon hovered over him while holding both of his hands on the sides of Jaehwan’s head. Jaehwan blinked while determining how close the stranger that he let in to him. “T-The bread fell on the ground.”

“You’re funny,” Taekwoon commented as his face went nearer to Jaehwan’s. “I have never done it with a male partner, as I mentioned, but you are too cute. I can’t wait any longer.”

Jaehwan closed his eyes and shouted. “Get off! Don’t touch me!”

Taekwoon smiled and sat on the bed, leaving Jaehwan still lying on the bed with his eyes closed. “Okay. Just do whatever you want to do. Just tell me what I need to do.”

Jaehwan sat as fast as he could, and he was then sitting close to Taekwoon who was still a stranger that time. “I saw your number on the graffiti that my friend made. I was annoyed at that and now I am talking to you.”

***

Jaehwan chuckled unknowingly as he remembered how he and Taekwoon first met. It was a very weird encounter and a very intimate one too.

He texted the number without definite plan in his mind. Eventually, it just came along. Taekwoon also rode along so he felt at ease to narrate his story. Funny, because even Wonshik who he had met longer was not able to listen to his life story, while Taekwoon, who was a complete stranger that time, was able to.

It only has been a day since they first met but Jaehwan felt like it has been years since they knew each other. Taekwoon became his best friend who shared his secret in one night.

His phone rang and distracted him from reminiscing. He saw the name of the caller and he saw Taekwoon’s phone number. He had not saved his name for no reason at all, but he remembered it by heart. He smiled and answered it. “Hello?”

“Are you available tonight? I will get you some cheese breads since your bread fell on the ground,” Taekwoon said. “Don’t worry, I won’t let them fall again.”

“Sure. It must be enough for both of us,” Jaehwan told Taekwoon who chuckled in turn. “I’ll be home by eight in the evening.”

“I’ll be there. I will just wait outside,” Taekwoon said. “I might arrive first.”

“Alright. See you,” Jaehwan ended the call and put the phone on his table.

“Wow, you’re dating someone?” asked his officemate. “You look surprisingly pleasant after that heated argument with your supervisor.”

Jaehwan frowned as he remembered the thing that happened just before he met Taekwoon, and what happened actually made him contact him.

“Jaehwan, the boss needs you,” another officemate called him. Jaehwan had sighed and had put his phone on his table before he walked away from his cubicle. He rode the elevator up to the eighth floor and went directly to the big boss’ office. He closed the door behind him and just stood near the door.

“Okay, so I learned that you had a big argument with my brother,” said the boss who was not facing him. “To be honest, it’s a bit unprofessional to take your personal lives here in the office, but I am pretty sure it’s not your fault.”

“Mr. President, I am sorry about what happened to me and Hongbin yesterday.”

The President turned around and smiled at him. “I told you. Hakyeon is fine, Jaehwan.”

***

For Jaehwan, life has become so unfair since the day he accepted the scholarship and since the day he and Hongbin never talked to each other. It was after the day when he found out that Hongbin cheated on him for a mere reason that Jaehwan didn’t go to his finals game and that he accepted the scholarship from his father. After that day, Hongbin rarely went home; he probably had been sleeping with other women for several nights but Jaehwan was too kind that he considered it as one cheating incident. He couldn’t help but to cry himself to sleep, and he would always look so haggard whenever he would work in the morning and in the night. People around him started to worry about him and his health, but he told them that he was fine. Hakyeon was the most worried, so he never missed a day without going to the company where he was working.

Jaehwan found time to at least sit in with Hakyeon during break time and they would talk about random things that might or might not interest Jaehwan but at least it would make Jaehwan forget Hongbin for a short while.

Because of Hakyeon’s efforts, he easily recovered and he remained cheerful.

About a week later, Hongbin finally went home when Jaehwan was around, and that time, he was just ignoring him all throughout his stay. It was painful for Jaehwan of course, but at least regardless of how Hongbin treated him, the former was finally home.

And another week passed when Hongbin started talking to Jaehwan again, eventually trying to win him over again. Jaehwan was a fool, for the nth time that he easily broke down to tears and gave in to Hongbin’s sweet hug and a short line of apology.

Hongbin told him that the cheating wouldn’t happen again, and that he would support his scholarship grant only if he would stop talking to Hakyeon. Jaehwan didn’t know why he hated Hakyeon so much, but for the sake of their peaceful relationship, he just obeyed and as much as possible, he avoided Hakyeon.

Hakyeon kept on going to him nevertheless.

“Jaehwan, I found out that you and Hongbin got back together because I saw you together at the supermarket,” Hakyeon said to him one time. Jaehwan only nodded in reply while he was photocopying something. “Jaehwan, why are you avoiding me?”

“No, I’m just busy,” Jaehwan said without looking at Hakyeon.

“Whatever made you avoid me, please know that I am still your friend,” Hakyeon said as he gave up on Jaehwan and left. Jaehwan was guilty for avoiding Hakyeon but he knew that he needed to do that for his relationship with Hongbin.

He was still curious why he needed to avoid him so he asked Hongbin that night.

“Because he’s my half-brother,” Hongbin disclosed. That was when he knew that Hakyeon and Hongbin were related. Hongbin’s surname was from his mother who just left him in his aunt’s care and when she got married, her husband asked her to stop taking care of Hongbin. Even so, she secretly supported Hongbin. The husband found out and eventually, the aunt was forced to go to the States with her husband and her connection with Hongbin was permanently cut.

All the details and story were narrated to Jaehwan.

After a few months, Hongbin finally graduated high school, and Jaehwan was there. It’s the least Jaehwan could do for Hongbin. Classmates and schoolmates were eyeing him, and the rumor about his relationship with Hongbin were refreshed in their memories. Jaehwan couldn’t care less because he was not a student there anymore and he had already moved on from that.

Jaehwan, on the other hand, finally was able to go back to school a little later.

Although he was destroyed by such rumors, he was able to get a recommendation from people in school. He had a personal recommendation from Hakyeon and he was grateful about it so even if Hongbin told him to stay away from Hakyeon, he still asked for his forgiveness for avoiding him.

“It is okay, Jaehwan,” Hakyeon said. They went to a coffee shop since Hakyeon recommended it. But of course, Jaehwan made sure that Hongbin wouldn’t know so he asked Hakyeon to go somewhere far. “I know you’re avoiding me because I am sure that Hongbin has already told you that I was his half-brother.”

Jaehwan didn’t really know that Hakyeon knew about it so he made sure that he would not mention it to anyone. It turned out that Hakyeon knew because his father admitted it to him.

“At first, I was not okay with it. Knowing that I had a half-brother from another mother was a really tough one, to be honest,” Hakyeon told Jaehwan who was just staring at the former. “But I am kind of thankful because finally, I have a brother.”

“Why does Hongbin hate you?” Jaehwan curiously asked.

“Because...” Hakyeon paused and looked at Jaehwan intently. “I told him that I would not be my father’s heir. I didn’t want to become an heir and manage his businesses, especially because my uncle, the current President, was sick and my father would replace him anytime. My uncle already knew that it would happen but because there will be no next in line since he doesn’t have a son, it only depends on my father to take the responsibility. And he is willing to.”

Jaehwan nodded.

“I told my father that I won’t be managing the business because I wanted to be a doctor. He was of course against it but as a father, he wanted what’s best for me. So he told me that he had another son who was Hongbin. My mother was against him being the heir though. Hongbin actually was given a scholarship because of that plan, and if Hongbin already told you, my mother wanted my father to stop his scholarship but my father was a good man. He wanted Hongbin to finish college so he pleaded to my mother that he would cut all ties to Hongbin and even cut all his financial support from then on,” Hakyeon narrated to Jaehwan.

Jaehwan took a sip from his cup and put it back on the table. He sighed. “I’m worried actually. Since I am going to study again and Hongbin’s actually going to college too, I wonder how I can work for the both of us.”

Hakyeon held Jaehwan’s wrist, to Jaehwan’s surprise. “You don’t have to work, you know.”

Jaehwan looked at Hakyeon who was dead serious, then he realized that his hand was still holding his wrist. He remembered what Hongbin told him before – that Hakyeon might have feelings for him – but he ignored it. “Hakyeon… I would like to ask… if it would make me weird for asking,” Jaehwan looked at Hakyeon again who was curious. “Hongbin mentioned another thing that made him hate you.”

Hakyeon’s eyebrows met. “What’s it?”

Jaehwan asked, “Do you like me?” Hakyeon smiled so Jaehwan tried to laugh, even awkwardly, to kill the weird silence between them. “Ah, I am flattering myself, right? I knew that it wasn’t true and it would be a big joke-”

“I do, Jaehwan, I really like you,” Hakyeon confessed and tightened his grasp at Jaehwan’s wrist. Jaehwan’s laughter became softer and softer as he looked at Hakyeon. He pulled his wrist and looked away. “I know that it would be your reaction so I didn’t tell you before. When I saw you and Hongbin at the gym, that time, it was the next day after I learned about him. I was curious to know more about him, although I already knew that he was good in basketball. So I followed him at the gym. And I saw you saying things that you should break up. Even before that, I already had my eyes on you. I have liked you secretly and knowing that you and Hongbin were actually together, it made me jealous of Hongbin. He was the person who could have had it all. That time, I was hurt and I already ran away, and I think it’s the time when you saw me.

“Even though I hated Hongbin, I couldn’t just spread rumors or anything because I care about you and I don’t want you to get into any trouble. It wasn’t me, I swear to the heavens and to you. Jaehwan, I…” Hakyeon held his hand again, so Jaehwan looked at Hakyeon. That time, his tears were falling down, and Jaehwan was also teary. “I will never hurt you. I am willing to sacrifice just so that I will be sure that you’ll be alright. I’m… I’m going to take Business Management and it’s what I promised to my father. I will be his heir in order for you to go back to school.”

Jaehwan’s tears finally fell and he stood then he looked at Hakyeon. “W-Why… why did you do that just for me? Why did you sacrifice your dream just for me?”

Hakyeon wiped his tears and smiled. “Because I told you… I like you very much. I don’t want you to get hurt. I don’t want you to sacrifice yourself just for the sake of Hongbin. I’d rather do that for you.”

“I’m sorry, Hakyeon,” Jaehwan said. “I… I am sorry.”

“You don’t need to say sorry,” Hakyeon told him. “I also told my parents that they needed to promise me that if I agreed to be their heir, they had to support Hongbin financially again and as previously planned by my father, he would work in our company. My father said that he would continue to support Hongbin financially as long as I don’t change my mind. My mother also said that she wouldn’t interfere with that anymore since it was beneficial to me and to her. So you don’t need to worry.”

Jaehwan sat down again. He clenched his fists.

“Jaehwan, I didn’t do this so that I would get any in return from you. I am contented and happy just to see you happy. Since you’re happy with Hongbin, I won’t interfere with your relationship. But,” Hakyeon paused and stared at Jaehwan. “If Hongbin hurts you again, I swear, I would not rest until I make you mine. I will never hurt you. You deserve nothing but happiness, Jaehwan, and to be honest, after Hongbin, you’ll only get it from me.”

Jaehwan met Hakyeon’s eyes. His eyes were serious, but at the same time, staring at them brought chills in his body. “H-Hakyeon… I am thankful and I will always be grateful to you. But I know that Hongbin will never hurt me again.”

***

Of course, Jaehwan was wrong, and there he was, suffering because of Hongbin.

Hongbin and Jaehwan lived together until they both finished college. Hongbin was, of course, the first one to graduate and also as planned for him, he would work in his father’s company. He was promoted three years after as Jaehwan’s supervisor, and as for Jaehwan, he was still under Hongbin. At first, he was okay about that, but after months and months, Hongbin started to have lesser time for him.

Hongbin started going home late, and Jaehwan was left eating the dinner that he cooked for Hongbin who promised to go home earlier.

No one actually knew that they were dating. Jaehwan’s actually not encouraging Hongbin to say something about it. Everyone didn't know Hongbin’s identity as the current President’s son, but he was still popular to women due to his good looks.

His father became a president even before they graduated in college. The past president died out of sickness, as what Hakyeon told Jaehwan. It’s his seventh year being the president and surely, Hongbin was enjoying the treatment that he was given by the current president.

Hakyeon, meanwhile, started as a rank and file employee, but he was promoted earlier than Hongbin and he was promoted every year until he became an assistant manager when Hongbin also had become a supervisor.

“Hongbin’s so handsome! I am planning to seduce him later,” an officemate said. Jaehwan would only smile at all remarks about his boyfriend because he knew Hongbin wouldn’t do anything to hurt him again. But then, in all their eyes, he was just an employee and Hongbin was his supervisor and nothing else. In all honesty, he felt like it was unfair, even if in the first place, he was the one who suggested that. “Jaehwan, you’re directly under Hongbin, right? Care to tip where he’s staying after work?”

“I don’t know,” Jaehwan would say with a smile. “I’m only his subordinate.”

“Yah! Don’t say that, you’re special to me.”

Jaehwan closed his eyes when Hongbin patted his head. He looked at Hongbin who winked at him before going to his cubicle. Jaehwan smiled giddily as he opened his computer monitor.

“Come on, Hongbin said it himself, you’re special to him. Your relationship with him was probably closer than siblings,” said another employee. “You know, I think Hongbin’s not interested with women at all.”

“What? How come? He’s so handsome. It’s impossible,” said another employee.

“I had a friend and she said that she was a lower classman of Hongbin. She said that Hongbin was a basketball player in his school before,” the first employee said. “And she said that there was a rumor that Hongbin was dating another guy because there were pictures of them kissing.”

Jaehwan almost choked so he coughed so hard, but the other employees thought that it was just another cough, so the first employee continued.

“Anyway, the pictures leaked but because the boyfriend wasn’t as popular as Hongbin, she didn’t know that person at all,” she told everyone. “Ah! I remembered, Jaehwan, you went to same school, right? Was that rumor true?”

Jaehwan looked at Hongbin who all of a sudden turned to them. “Yah, stop bothering Jaehwan. It’s true, so, why bother asking him if you can ask me directly?” Hongbin cut them off, and everyone was frozen. Jaehwan blinked but he was kind of relieved when Hongbin said that. But at the same time, Jaehwan was worried that Hongbin wouldn’t keep his authority as a supervisor.

“Oh gosh, he is so lovable! I don’t care if he has a boyfriend; he’s still hot and handsome!” The female employee said and the others agree.

“And Jaehwan, can you come to the meeting room, I want to discuss something with you,” Hongbin called, bringing documents with him. “In five minutes.”

Jaehwan nodded. He immediately got his files that Hongbin made him do the night before. Maybe it’s what Hongbin wanted to discuss. He followed Hongbin who entered the meeting room first.

Jaehwan peeked inside the room before he finally entered, closing the door behind him.

“I’ve finished the files that you wanted me to-” Jaehwan was cut when Hongbin dropped the paper on the table and rushed towards him then locked him between the door and Hongbin’s body. Hongbin used his right hand to lock the door and put his left hand around Jaehwan’s waist. “H-Hongbin…”

“I’ve been busy lately, I am sorry for that,” Hongbin whispered as he moved his face closer to Jaehwan’s. “I feel so guilty, as your boyfriend.”

Jaehwan blinked and looked away when Hongbin was looking at him seriously. “W-We’re at the office, Hongbin. Someone might…” Jaehwan felt Hongbin’s lips on his. Jaehwan gently pushed Hongbin and whispered, “Someone might see us.”

“I just want you to know that I miss you, and I need you,” Hongbin said and hugged Jaehwan instead. Jaehwan reluctantly held his boyfriend’s back and patted him.

“D-Did… something happen?” Jaehwan asked.

“Nope,” Hongbin pulled himself away. “I told you. I want to make it up to you. I promise that I will come home earlier. Or if you want, we can go home together.”

Jaehwan blushed when Hongbin kissed him again. His boyfriend s his arms around his waist, pulled him closer until there was no space between them. When the kiss ended, Hongbin let go of Jaehwan. “Thanks.”

Jaehwan shook his head and smiled. “Okay then. Let’s go home together.”

***

It was the last time he and Hongbin went home together.

It turned out that Hongbin was asked by his father to live with him in his house. Jaehwan didn’t want to interfere with the life that Hongbin had always wanted so he let him. While he remained at their previously shared house, Hongbin started to adapt to his new home, his new lifestyle, his new life.

After a few weeks, he had been introduced as the president’s son. Everyone was so surprised and most of the women became more interested with Hongbin. Hongbin also became a popular guest during parties. His father, who didn’t know that Hongbin was the one Jaehwan was dating, kept on asking Hongbin to date several women. While Hongbin was saying that he was not interested at particular woman right then, he still had to socialize with people like his father.

After those parties, Hongbin became more distant to him and eventually, Jaehwan felt that they were only employee-employer all of a sudden. Hongbin would always only call him because of work. Proclamations of love became too seldom.

Jaehwan had no choice but to stay how they were and he decided to finally rent an apartment for himself. At first, Hongbin had a say, but after a few tries, he gave up.

The cheating incident happened and obviously, Jaehwan got fed up.

***

He went back to his cubicle after that conversation with Hakyeon.

And he was met by another request for a meeting by Hongbin. Although he didn’t want to have a one-to-one meeting with his ex-boyfriend, he still went inside the meeting room to meet him.

“So, you’ve had a replacement for me. That’s quick,” Hongbin said immediately as Jaehwan entered the room.

“Aren’t w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter