Trying

You Told Me To Write It.

After people seemed to finally forget the disastrous events of the first week, classes were more manageable and things were finally falling into place.

Fortunately I was in Yuri’s Maths, Korean Lit, History and Japanese classes. Unfortunately none of my singing or dancing classes was with her. 

The only person who I’ve talked to is Youngmin, but I don’t even talk to him in class. Yuri has always had better chances getting along with new people more than me. 

The system at AMAS is quite simple. Academic classes consisted of only first years but more artistically-concentrated classes, the electives, are mixed. Meaning 2nd years and 3rd years are included in the classes. While academic classes are graded, art, dance, singing, song-writing (plus the other classes I don’t remember) are random so it’s really down to luck whether you have kind seniors who guide you with the ropes or selfish, arrogant bastards who could watch the world burn and they’d still do their makeup. 

But that was not the problem now. 

“In 2 weeks time, we hold the auditions for the the musical for first years.”

Cheers erupt from the front. I beam at Yuri who is trembling with excitement. The Chairman calls for silence.

“This year’s musical is…”

Automatically, the students drum-roll with their legs and stop when the Chairman breathes in.

“Les Miserables!”

Another giant roar of cheers blast out, people listening for aliens with a mega radar had probably gone deaf. A miracle, but I manage to catch Changmin’s eyes in the crowd, he supports me by raising his fist in the air. 

But he is not the only one I see. There’s Youngmin and Minhyuk, looking right at my direction. No wait. They weren’t looking at me. 

But at the beautiful girl next to me.

Yuri.

Oh my Yuri. One week in and she’s got the attention of the two hottest boys in our grade. 

“But there is a catch, only those who pass the upcoming exams are allowed to apply.”

The chatter dies down faster than water flung over fire. This is what some students live for, and others absolutely despise. The quality of competition is ing intense, part of the reason that makes AMAS ranked in the top 10 consistently in Korea, if not the world. 


“You should audition!” I try to encourage Yuri to apply. “No one makes a better Cosette than you.” 

“I have to pass the exam first.” Already she’s neck deep in books, scribbling across her page at the speed of light and devouring ever blank page in her books. 

At first glance, people would think I’d be the studious one, playing on the stereotype of me wearing glasses. 

studying, I’m naturally smart. 

I lock myself in the music room. When we discovered the music room, to test the quality of the soundproofing we spent a solid 10 minutes alternating while someone screamed inside the room and the other stood there pointlessly, already knowing the answer.

As a major Disney fan, it’s all I sing inside the room. From Reflection and singing A Whole New World, which yes I am aware is a duet, I sing and experiment with harmonies. The speaker system in the room was also bomb, easily syncing with my phone. And the mic, god does this school have any limitations on money? 

Though a part of me was severely lacking without Yuri, I somehow manage to make it through every lesson with Ms Kang. I would've preferred Mr Han (Yuri's teacher) but at least Ms Kang doesn't mind what you sing. 

She also because she's always late. I've made myself comfortable with the seniors, the nice seniors. Surprisingly there is the y narcissistic senior just like the ones in the movie. Just wait till the end of this story i swear I will get revenge on this chick and her clique. Her existence in this already makes me mad enough.

But Chorong is the biggest babe on earth, actually providing me with quality advice and tips. Her friends are nice as well but Chorong actually makes me feel welcomed. 

"Ah the first-year musical. We had Wizard of Oz. Was the best musical of my life," Chrorong recalls, using the voice of the elders about to bestow ultimate wisdom onto their apprentices.

"Have they done Legally Blonde?"

"The year before I came in."

"Who was Emmett? God the cutest character alive in my opinion." I pretend to fan myself.

"Guy was cute! I think he's the third-year Park Changmin?"

"Park Changmin?" I splutter, choking on my spit. I've always pinned him as the Warner type but okay. 

"I remember when I first saw my name up on that list..."

Like lightbulbs, they go all around the circle and we burst into song, just like a musical. 

"Whoa! Is that my name up on that list?"

And like practiced we jump and just sing. Without a care, ignoring the glares of Bora's glares, but most of the class cheers and bounce to our tune. 

"No wait, it feel so much better, hello, much better
It's oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, much better."

Doing our hip s attracts the attention of the boys. And Youngmin and his group is chuckling at our actions. Some people even join in.

Is this what belonging feels like? In these sort of moments, a sense of extreme freedom and happiness fills the voids in my heart. 

The teacher still isn't here leaving us unsupervised. 

"I am so much better,"

We glance at each other and Chorong and I go for the high note.

"than before!"

The amazed expression on Bora's face provides me with a great sense of superiority and accomplishment. Everyone else is in absolute awe and clap energetically once we finish. We pant and catch out breath and finally Ms Kang walks and begins the lesson.


Red leaves swirl across the campus and the chilly breeze whips them up into the air, inviting them to join the dance. Exams were quickly approaching and stress levels on a continuous rise. Academic exams were all done with ease and only my singing exam was left. 

The way singing exams worked was a bit different and inefficient. Groups of students were allocated times to showcase their skills. Other students could appear or choose not to, leading me to believe the participation of your peers played a role in your overall mark. Connections in the music industry definitely is important for a path to success. 

Even more daunting, the invitation extends to the second and third years. 

 

Shin Yuri - 14th November 2016 12:30PM Theatre 1

 

I scan for my name next.

 

Jang Ahri - 14th November 2016 12:30PM Theatre 1

 

Score! I take a picture and send the times to Yuri. She responds with an emoji, a bear showering me with hugs. 

Minhyuk? she asks me immediately.

I easily find his name and send it to her

 

Kim Minhyuk - 14th November 2016 12:00PM Theatre 1