The Love of my Life Left Me in The Frozen Section of the Department Store

You Told Me To Write It.

The picture in the catalogue had lied. I had been so keen on receiving my new bed and blanket covers which was advertised as a turquoise, navy blue, brown and white striped was instead a disgusting blend of the wrong hues and no way in hell would I sleep in that monstrosity. The fabric clawed at my neck, bare arms and legs and every second more I spent in those sheets was another chair I was tempted to throw out the window.

“I can’t do this anymore!” I say, kicking the blanket off the bed and throwing the pillow towards the wall.

“Oh shut up, I’m sleeping.”

“Oh is this funny to you? I’m sleeping next to you.”

“No way.. Sleep on the floor.”

I shove Ahri closer to the wall. “Hey… get.. lost..” she murmurs. I sigh and snuggle further in the blankets. For a while we both lay still until I realise, “Mate, it’s only 11am. What are we doing?”

“Sleeping.”

“No, let’s get out ready.We just moved into the dorm. School starts in 2 days and I need proper blanket and bed covers ASAP. We’re going out.”

“Nooo…” Ahri turns and gathers more of the blankets on her side exposing me to the cold air.

“Let’s go,” I say.

Silence follows.

“WOMAN GET YOUR UP! I AM SERIOUS ABOUT THIS,” I shout, pushing the blankets onto the ground.

“OH MY GOD WOMAN JEEZ I’M UP,” Ahri yells back. From her demonic mumbling I can almost guess she’s cursing me that I’ll be plagued with nightmares about a bloody camel emerging from the wreckage of a car crash.

Classic Ahri.

The journey of Ahri and my independent lifestyle have lead us to travel an estimated distance of 300km away from our homes to attend the prestigious Academy of Music and Arts of Seoul. Also known as AMAS. AMAS is well-known for their famous musicians, of course, and their incredible scouting skills which have discovered many attractive and talented artists. Which is by the way what Ahri and I are aiming to be. Our goals of this year, survive first year, have fun and get a boyfriend. Well, the last goal is mine.

I was extremely lucky for the opportunity of receiving a full scholarship and Ahri and her stupid social network allowed her to enter this school with ease. Her family name can be seen engraved in the fancy pews of the chapel and plaques of the buildings at school. I only consider myself more fortunate to have been able to gain a friend like her. 13 years and still going strong.

“Yuri-ah, what do you think of this mask?” Ahri holds up a ridiculous mask, the ones with the exaggerated nose, clown-like lips and a beauty mark below the eye. I scoff and Ahri begins to remove the mask. “Wait wait, keep it on, you look better,” I joke. I can see her eye-roll from behind the mask. We walk out of the aisle but the massive department store only confuses our poor sense of direction. Looking at this terrifying sea of people, Ahri’s hand looks welcoming to say the least. We ask an employee but he lazily directs us back to the entrance and once again Ahri and I stand there like fish out of the water.

“Over there!” Ahri exclaims and I manage to form the words ‘Manchester, Blanket and Pillows.’ We wade through, elbows and shoulders unintentionally touching other people’s part on God knows where. I arrive only to look and not see the familiar pink haired friend of mine.  My armpit buzzes to thankfully remind me that technology is actually my one true best friend . “Ahri where are you?” I say immediately.

Her only response is wrapped by layers of kids screaming and deafening footsteps of me surroundings. “What? Ahri I can’t hear you.”

The exact moment I turn, my elbow becomes an obstacle of a passerby’s stomach and his stomach, a victim of my surprisingly deadly elbow. The phone  flies out of my hand and the feeling in my heart confirms the death of my phone. The poor boy lands on the cushions behind him luckily. In my state of panic, I try to ask the boy “Are you okay?” and “I’m sorry,” but I’m completely mesmerised but his dazzling, enchanting and totally out-of-my-league appearance. My apology instead comes out as “Aren’t you sorry?” and all the mini-me’s living in my brain face palm, punch themselves and some even jump off the edge of my academic brilliance of a scholarship student to my current stupidity.

“Oh my god, that wasn’t what I wanted to say.” My hands at least have the idea to hide my face from shame. “Let me help you up.”

“Thanks.” I should check the steam coming off my ears. “I am so so so sorry,” I apologise once again. “It’s my fault I should’ve been looking and-”

“No really, I’m fine. You have a really strong elbow… I guess?” he says, rubbing the back of his neck. He begins to pick up the damage of our physical contact. I help him collect the cushions and place them on the bed. The glimmer on his shirt provide me with absolute essential information I need. His name.

“Uhm.. Minhyuk-sshi,” I say. The ‘sshi’ was awkwardly delayed but he looks up from what he’s doing. “I’m really sor-”

“It’s fine.”

He sits on the bed and looks around. “Were you looking for something he asks?”

A boyfriend I say, but instead it comes out as “Yeah, do you have any bedsheets? For a single bed, that is.”

“Sure. How about this one?” He quickly scans the shelve beside him and hands me a greige (that’s a mixture of grey and beige) pack.

“This one is broken,” I say, showing him the ripped plastic. “Oh it is. Follow me. I’ll get you a new one.”

He stands up and I’m in awe. He ideal for me and he seems so perfect it’s a miracle he doesn’t hear my heartbeat. He easily retrieves a new pack from the highest shelf and takes away the old one.

“Anything else you need?” he asks.

Your number,  I say but instead the words become “No, that’s it thank you.”

He bows and walks away. “Wait!” I call and the feeling of panic washes over me again. “Can I borrow your phone? I swear I won’t steal it I kinda lost mine.” Did he even hear what I said? God that was too quiet. I almost squeal when I see he uses the same model phone as me. There are only 5 numbers in this world I remember. Mother’s, Father’s, Sister’s, Ahri’s and my home phone.

Thank goodness Ahri picks up quickly and we decide to meet at the frozen/desserts section. Minhyuk kindly escorts me to the area and takes his leave. Not only does it feel cold that I’m in the coldest section but also I think the sun of my life is walking away from me and every step he takes further away from me is another centimetre of ice that swallows my heart.